Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting WO to 80360, or email us
Fireworks warning for Diwali and bonfire night
9:10am Wednesday 14th October 2009 in Community
WITH Diwali this weekend and bonfire night following in a few weeks the fire service has issued a timely warning about care with fireworks.
Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service has issued a ten-point plan on how to handle fireworks safely and is circulating posters to remind revellers to exercise caution.
The service advises:
- Never throw discarded fireworks onto bonfires, put them in a bucket of water
- Don't get too close to fireworks
- Never go back to a firework once it has been lit
- Keep firworks in a closed metal box
- Don't play around with fireworks or bonfires
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket
- Never give sparklers to anyone under five
- Supervise over fives with sparklersV
- Sparklers shoul;d only be lit one at a time
- Wear gloves, hold sparklers at arms length, do not touch the end when it goes out and place in a bucket of water.
The posters also warn about the dangers of making hoax calls.
Spokesman Nick Ashman said: "All calls are traced, even from mobiles, and could result in a criminal record.
"If we get hoax calls it means we are not available to protect the public. We are here to protect the public - that includes you, your family and your friends."
For fire safety information telephone 01923 471399 of Freephone 0800 587 3347.