Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting WO to 80360, or email us
Residents donate after South Oxhey fire in Hoylake Gardens
Donations of clothes, furniture and money have flooded in for a family left with little more than the clothes they stood in after a fire ripped through their South Oxhey home last week.
A fundraising event held at the William Morris Labour Club on Saturday (January 26) saw dozens of friends, neighbours and complete strangers come together to give what they could.
The fire started on the first floor of a flat in Hoylake Gardens on Wednesday (January 23) afternoon but quickly spread to the loft.
The family have since been provided with alternative accommodation by Thrive Homes but a neighbour, who was also evacuated, remains in a local hotel until it is safe to return.
The Labour Club in Henbury Way and The Ox pub have kicked the fundraising off by each donating £250 while a number of businesses have allowed collection tins to be placed on counters.
The residents affected are not believed to have been at the meeting but close friends and neighbours acting on their behalf were present.
Labour councillor for Northwick ward Ana Bakshi said: "Saturday was really good, there were a lot of different people from the community there.
"A lot of South Oxhey residents and their neighbours were there. Their good friends were there and were telling us what they need."
Ty Harris, Conservative councillor for Northwick ward, added: "This saw the whole community pulling together.
"One family has lost everything and moved into a new property, her neighbour is still living in a hotel."