Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting WO to 80360, or email us
Councillor 'saddened and angry' at Ringway work hold-up
Motorists in south west Hertfordshire may have to wait until the summer before highways work is up to scratch, Liberal Democrat councillors have warned.
At a meeting of the Hertfordshire County Council highways and transport plan on Tuesday (February 5), Ringway - which took over the highways contract in October - said it has an additional 80 members of staff completing repairs than in mid December.
Last month the county council issued Ringway with a formal "Early Warning Notice" demanding an improvement in performance and the contractor has put in place an action plan.
However Central Watford and Oxhey Councillor Stephen Giles-Medhurst believes this is not likely to be fully implemented until June.
He said: "Frankly I am saddened, dismayed but also angry that Hertfordshire residents have been so let down by a major multi-national company that could earn £220m over the term of this contract from our council tax.
"Their failures to fix basic road faults, communicate with councillors and residents, clear our drains or fix our lights is not good enough."
Jerry Pert, Ringway regional director, said: "We are aware of the concerns being expressed about our performance in Hertfordshire and are working extremely hard, together with the council, to address these.
We are fully committed to the Hertfordshire contract and are working with the council on an action plan which I am confident will address any concerns and issues, including those raised by Councillor Giles-Medhurst."