Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting WO to 80360, or email us
Looking for the best small business in Watford
The Business Excellence Awards, the largest and most prestigious such event in the region, is back for another year and the Watford Observer is proud to be associated with it in this, our 150th year.
The business community will pay tribute to the very best companies and entrepreneurs our region has to offer at a gala dinner at Shendish Manor, Aspley, on Friday, September 27.
The awards follow the success of last year’s event, which was hosted by Channel 4 News anchor Krishnan Guru-Murthy and keynote speaker Nikki King of Isuzu Trucks and star of Channel 4’s Under Cover Boss.
The night was a huge success for the 30 or so businesses represented in the final, with the finalists all having their pictures taken on stage with the stars and the winners returning later to collect their trophies, having a second moment on stage.
The awards will be launched at the MEPC premises in Hercules Way, Watford (just opposite the Harry Potter studios) on Tuesday, March 5, and you are invited to come and meet the judges and sponsors to see if your business would make a good candidate for an award.
To book a place at the launch, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and the name of your business.
There are seven awards: Large Business of the Year; Medium Business of the Year; Small Business of the Year; International Trade and Export and Success Through People. These can all be applied for directly. The two final awards, Entrepreneur of the Year and Business of the Year, are selected from among the finalists.
This month we focus on the Small Business of the Year, sponsored by biz4Biz This award is open to businesses in any sector with a turnover of up to £5 million. The judges will be looking for evidence of an outstanding business whose growth, ambition and quality of management has enabled it to deliver on a compelling business strategy.
In addition to strategy, business performance and employment and training the judges will take into account the economic context of the industry in which the business operates.
Past finalists and winners have all benefited from increased business opportunities; extensive media exposure for their company and its products/services; a free and independent assessment by a panel of business experts; employees who are motivated towards even greater success and the chance to benchmark their businesses against peers and competitors.
To enter your business simply email email@example.com and we will arrange for a judging visit. The email should contain: Name of business; contact name; job title; address; postcode; telephone and email.
The interview takes approximately an hour and any paperwork necessary is completed by the judges. These visits will take place between March 5 and June 28. Finalists will be notified in early July. There is a second interview for finalists and the winners are announced at the gala dinner.
Last year’s finalists were:
- Alexanders Group, an award-winning removals, storage and relocation business servicing the needs of domestic and commercial customers in London and the Home Counties.
- Brian Robson Coachworks, a two generation family business and the one stop shop for anything car-related.
- Cyber Duck, established in 2005, is a leading independent digital agency with a world-class reputation, working with global brands.
- e-voyages – a small, independent incoming tour operator which specialises in group tours all over Great Britain.
- Meades & Co – a youthful and energetic firm of accountancy and business development specialists, committed to helping improve client profitability and success and in turn financial freedom for an improved lifestyle.
- MiCasa has a passion for working with clients to achieve their ultimate home. Its three divisions of interior design, furniture gallery and architectural interior design aspire to transform homes from ordinary to exceptional.
- Tring Brewery was last year’s winner. For almost 20 years, the brewery has been committed to crafting award-winning ales and to building strong relationships with suppliers, customers and the local community.
biz4Biz is the network for business owners, entrepreneurs and senior executives in and around Hertfordshire. The organisation began its life looking to provide a coherent lobbying voice for businesses in Hertfordshire and as an extension of that aims to promote the region as a great place to live and do business and as such is pleased to be supporting the Business Excellence Awards.