Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting WO to 80360, or email us
Mohammed Idreese Malik has jaw broken in Watford attack
A young man, who was attacked on a Watford street corner by a group of youths, had his jaw broken in two places, a court has heard.
Mohammed Idreese Malik had been walking with two friends on their way to a McDonalds, when it is alleged six young men from Watford attacked him and left him unconscious.
St Albans Crown Court was told the attack took place because one of the gang didn't want Mr Malik to see his sister.
The jury heard the victim had only met the girl on a couple of occasions and contacted her on social media website Facebook.
But her brother, Hasan Shah, 19, thought there was more to it and was not happy, said Geoffrey Porter, prosecuting.
A jury was told that in the run up to the attack, the brother began to contact Mr Malik.
Mr Porter said it then led to Mr Malik being attacked by a group of teenagers on the afternoon on December 21, 2011, at the junction of The Harebreaks and Chestnut Walk.
It is alleged Mr Shah of Acorn Place, was one of the attackers, along with Waqas Akhtar, 18, of The Thrums, Farus Butt, 18, of The Harebreaks, Salmaan Chohan, 20, of Beech Road, Omar Hamid-Chohan, 18, The Harebreaks, and a 17 year old youth who was 16 at the time so cannot be identified for legal reasons.
The six deny unlawfully and maliciously causing grievous bodily harm to Mr Malik.
All six plead not guilty to an alternative offence of inflicting grievous bodily harm.
Outlining the prosecution's case at the start of the trial on Friday, Mr Porter explained that there was a "background" to the attack which concerned the victim's friendship with Mr Shah's sister - that Hasan Shah was not happy about Mr Malik's relationship with his sister.
In the witness box, Mr Malik said when the brother had called him on the phone around five or six times for a meeting in the weeks leading up to the attack he had been "pretty aggressive".
"I didn't want to meet him," he told the jury.
On the afternoon of the attack he said he and his two friends had been making their way to a McDonalds when he heard someone shout his name and saw a car with a number of people inside.
He said he recognised Mr Akhtar, Mr Butt, Salmaan Chohan and possibly Omar Hamid-Chohan get out of the vehicle.
Mr Malik said the men started making phone calls which concerned him and as the group approached, his offer of a hand shake was refused and he was sworn at.
Mr Malik said the group wanted him to go into a nearby alley with them and for his two friends to wait round the corner.
"I said if you want to speak to me, speak to me here. There's no need to go into an alley. I wanted to stay in a public place," he told the jury.
He went on "I received three or four punches to my face and I did drop."
Asked by Mr Porter who had delivered them, he replied Salmaan Chohan.
Mr Malik went on: "When I was on the floor my face was getting stamped on, my face was bouncing off the concrete."
Asked who was responsible, he said it was Mr Shah, the 16 year old and Salmaan Chohan.
Mr Malik said as the kicks began, he blacked out.
The court was told his jaw had been broken in two placed and metal plates had to be inserted.
The prosecutor said the two friends of the victim had seen all six defendants participate in the attack "either punching or kicking or doing both."
Mr Porter said "It was a joint enterprise, they were all in it together."
The case continues.