Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting WO to 80360, or email us
Unattended cooking causes kitchen fire in Courtlands Drive, north Watford
Firefighters were called to a kitchen fire in a north Watford flat yesterday, after some cooking was left unattended.
Two crews from Watford and Garston attended the Courtlands Drive flat, after receiving reports of a fire at 6.53pm.
Garston watch commander Andy Newman said the fire began when some cooking was left on the hob unattended after the lady in the flat became distracted by her two children.
The flat’s tenants were alerted to the fire when staff in the Indian restaurant below smelt the smoke.
The mother and her two children were led to safety by staff, who also used an extinguisher from the restaurant to put out the blaze.
Mr Newman said: "The people in the property were unaware there was a fire in the kitchen because they didn’t have a smoke alarm. The alarm was raised by the people downstairs who smelt the smoke.
"A smoke alarm would have alerted them to the fire much earlier."
Firefighters arrived at the scene in less than five minutes, and most of the fire damage was contained to the kitchen, with some smoke damage in the rest of the flat.
Firefighters were on the scene for about half an hour.
Comments are closed on this article.