100-year-old woman 'very shaken up' after house fire in Cassiobury Drive, Watford

Picture: Claire Maxwell.

Picture: Claire Maxwell.

First published in News Watford Observer: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

A 100-year-old woman’s front room caught alight after she left her gas fire unattended for "a few moments".

Firefighters were called to a house fire in Cassiobury Drive at 2.14pm today.

Marjorie Cotterell, who owns the house, switched on the gas fire in her front room before leaving to go to the kitchen. When she returned to the room she found it on fire.

Ms Cotterell’s neighbour, Sarah Swanwick, said: "I had just got home from shopping when I heard something next door. I went round and saw the smoke and called the fire brigade straight away. I think she lit the fire and then went into the kitchen for just a few moments."

She added: "Marjorie is very shaken up but she’s fine. She’s very independent and with it and just can’t believe this has happened."

Fire crews from Watford and Garston attended the scene and extinguished the blaze.

Watford Observer:

Picture: @jamjammcd via Twitter

Lee Haward, Watch Commander, said: "Luckily no one was hurt. We believe it started in the front room but we will know more once we can go in and investigate."

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:56pm Sat 11 Jan 14

chocco says...

Poor old girl,.
Poor old girl,. chocco
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree