Rickmansworth residents were left "in darkness and in danger" as the landing and hallway lights in their Thrive Homes flats went out on Saturday.

Elderly and disabled residents living in Frogmoor Court, in Harefield Road, went without lights outside their flats and a "faulty entry system", leaving them "scared and worried" for days.

Pensioner Deanna Farrell said she and other residents contacted the housing association many times since Saturday, but keep getting told it "was not an emergency".

Thrive Homes manages more than 4,000 properties in Hertfordshire, having purchased Three Rivers District Council’s entire housing stock in March 2008.

The 73-year-old resident moved into the property five years ago after being diagnosed with Parkinson’s.

The lights were fixed on Wednesday.

The retired civil servant said: "We are in a sheltered complex and some residents here are in their 80s.

"From Saturday to Wednesday we were without lighting in our landing and hallway, so we had to go downstairs in the dark. It became very distressing and I had to keep calling them and calling them. It was a long time to be in the dark."

The mother-of-three and grandmother-of-seven said she was especially concerned not be able to see where she is going, as she can fall more frequently because of her condition.

She added: "I have Parkinson’s and having to walk up and down stairs in the dark means I can easily stumble or fall.

"All the residents want is to live a peaceful life and, when I reported it, we were told it was not an emergency. Well, I can’t understand what an emergency is.

"We shouldn’t have to put up with being in darkness and danger for days, we’ve been scared and worried."

Ms Farrell said that, due to an on-going problem with the front door entry system, residents have to go down and let people in personally.

Thrive Homes spokesman Rosie Salkeld said: "Thrive received a report that the communal lights affecting flats one to six at Frogmoor Court had failed on Sunday, January 13.

"A temporary fix was in place within 24 hours, and more extensive electrical work was completed on Wednesday, January 15, to ensure the lights were working fully."