Watford man, Paul Donnelly, jailed for three years over hit and run death of Donald Burnett

Watford man jailed over hit and run death

Watford man jailed over hit and run death

First published in News by

A hit and run driver who killed an 83-year-old man in Watford town centre was jailed for three years and nine months today (Tuesday).

Paul Donnelly's eyesight was so bad that he should not have been behind the wheel when he struck Donald Burnett, from Harrow, in December 2012.

He had failed an eyesight test in October 2011 and had been told by the DVLA that his licence was revoked.

But prosecutor Ann Evans told St Albans Crown Court that Donnelly, now 49, continued to drive the BMW car he had leased from Motability since 2009.

On Saturday, December 1, he had driven into Watford town centre to collect medication and was on his way home. On the ring road at the junction of the High Street and Lower High Street he was travelling at 30 miles per hour and failed to see Mr Burnett who had almost crossed the road from left to right.

Mr Burnett was hit by the car and sent into the windscreen. He was seriously injured and was first taken to Watford General Hospital for treatment, but then transferred to St Mary's Hospital in Paddington, where he died from his injuries.

In a statement read to the court, Mr Burnett's niece said he had "lived a notable life which was epitomised by humanity and caring".

Donnelly had driven off from the scene, but his number plate was caught on CCTV from the area and he was arrested. He said he had not stopped because he was scared.

Donnelly, of Fox Hill, Watford, pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving.

Andrew Kerry, defending, said Donnelly was a "very, very poorly man" with a number of medical conditions.

Judge Stephen Gullick told him: "You should not have been driving the vehicle because of your eyesight problems. You caused the death of a man who was there to be seen on the road for some seconds."

The judge also banned Donnelly from driving for seven years and said that he must pass a medical examination and an extended driving test if he wanted to drive again after the disqualification is over.

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:50pm Tue 28 Jan 14

gloryhornet4 says...

Does not look like he gave a sh*t what anyone said about not driving.
Does not look like he gave a sh*t what anyone said about not driving. gloryhornet4
  • Score: 8

12:21am Wed 29 Jan 14

fortuner says...

With that history I hope he never gets to drive again!
With that history I hope he never gets to drive again! fortuner
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree