Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting WO to 80360, or upload here
Celebrations in South Oxhey at opening of Carpenders Park and South Oxhey Methodist Church
Two days of celebrations took place last weekend to mark the official opening of the Carpenders Park and South Oxhey Methodist Church.
On Saturday and Sunday, residents packed into the church, in Prestwick Road, which has taken more than 10 years to obtain.
To officially open the church, a ribbon was cut on Saturday at 2pm by Reverend Stanley Weary, who was one of the first ministers.
The keys to the new building were handed over by Irene Dyer, who is the longest serving member of the church and a dedication service was led by Reverend Christopher Jones with Reverend David Goodwin.
On Sunday at 10.30am, there was a celebration worship with Reverend Ruth Gee and a united worship with nearby churches at 6.30pm.
The original church first met in 1944 in The Barn, Carpenders Park. In 1953 it moved into South Oxhey, where it has served the community for 60 years.
Discussions began about 10 years ago between Three Rivers District Council, Sanctuary Housing and the Methodist Church and a partnership was formed so that a new church could be built, with the old one being knocked down to allow for accommodation.
Used by many in the community, the church has been home to a karate club, Weight Watchers and a dance school.
Comments are closed on this article.