Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting WO to 80360, or contact us here
February 11, 1938
At the meeting of Middlesex County Council on Thursday last it was reported in connection with the extension of the underground railway from Edgware to Aldenham, the county council have raised no objection to the naming of three stations on the extension: Brockley Hill, Elstree and Aldenham.
Brockley Hill, the first station, will be situated at the junction of Green Lane and Spur Road with the Watford by-pass, just under a mile from Edgware station.
Elstree is to be the second station on the line and will be situated at Elstree Hill on the main Edgware to St Albans road (Watling Street) close to its intersection with the Watford by-pass.
Aldenham station will be at the junction of the watford by-pass with the Elstree to Watford road.
[From the Watford Observer of February 11, 1938]
NOSTALGIA NOTE: Two weeks later, it was announced that the Aldenham station would actually be called Bushey Heath – “to meet the wishes of local authorities and residents”. However, it was all in vain. Although some preliminary work was done, the extension project was halted in 1939 with the outbreak of the Second World War, and after the war ended, changes to planning rules banned further major housing development in the area, making the need for new Tube stations less pressing. As a result, the whole project was abandoned in 1950, although some traces of earthworks, including foundations of a viaduct, still survive at the site of what would have become Brockley Hill station.
For more stories from the Watford Observer's archive, go to our Nostalgia section by clicking HERE
Comments are closed on this article.