Buses wedged after trying to pass each other in Mill End

Watford Observer: Picture by Laura Waller Picture by Laura Waller

Two buses got stuck when the drivers tried to pass one another on a Mill End road.

A double-decker bus and a single-decker bus were trying to pass on Springwell Avenue on Friday when they became wedged.

Police were called at 3.23pm and when they arrived a few minutes later the two vehicles had separated.

Hertfordshire Constabulary report that no persons were injured and no damage was caused.

Comments (29)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:43am Tue 6 May 14

Keefer says...

Driver 1 (Red Bus) shouldn't be on the grass (mud) verge.
Driver 2 (the other one) shouldn't be trying to pass when the Red Bus is listing to starboard.

Either driver could have waited for the other to clear the obstruction before proceeding.

Conclusion: two idiots that need additional training in patience.
Driver 1 (Red Bus) shouldn't be on the grass (mud) verge. Driver 2 (the other one) shouldn't be trying to pass when the Red Bus is listing to starboard. Either driver could have waited for the other to clear the obstruction before proceeding. Conclusion: two idiots that need additional training in patience. Keefer
  • Score: 26

11:46am Tue 6 May 14

Hornets number 12 fan says...

Bus Drivers NEVER give way even to each other it would seem!
Bus Drivers NEVER give way even to each other it would seem! Hornets number 12 fan
  • Score: 9

12:09pm Tue 6 May 14

garston tony says...

At least one of those drivers is in the wrong job!

Whilst on the subject a lot of bus drivers need to be told that just because they are indicating to pull away from a bus stop that doesnt give them a priority to just move out. The number of times ive had a bus just indicate and immediately pull out meaning i've had to brake hard to not hit them, grrrr. They seem to think they dont need to wait like everyone else for a gap or for someone to allow them out.
At least one of those drivers is in the wrong job! Whilst on the subject a lot of bus drivers need to be told that just because they are indicating to pull away from a bus stop that doesnt give them a priority to just move out. The number of times ive had a bus just indicate and immediately pull out meaning i've had to brake hard to not hit them, grrrr. They seem to think they dont need to wait like everyone else for a gap or for someone to allow them out. garston tony
  • Score: 8

12:13pm Tue 6 May 14

pepsiman says...

I like a good wedgie story
I like a good wedgie story pepsiman
  • Score: 4

12:25pm Tue 6 May 14

TRT says...

garston tony wrote:
At least one of those drivers is in the wrong job!

Whilst on the subject a lot of bus drivers need to be told that just because they are indicating to pull away from a bus stop that doesnt give them a priority to just move out. The number of times ive had a bus just indicate and immediately pull out meaning i've had to brake hard to not hit them, grrrr. They seem to think they dont need to wait like everyone else for a gap or for someone to allow them out.
Highway code, rule 223.
[quote][p][bold]garston tony[/bold] wrote: At least one of those drivers is in the wrong job! Whilst on the subject a lot of bus drivers need to be told that just because they are indicating to pull away from a bus stop that doesnt give them a priority to just move out. The number of times ive had a bus just indicate and immediately pull out meaning i've had to brake hard to not hit them, grrrr. They seem to think they dont need to wait like everyone else for a gap or for someone to allow them out.[/p][/quote]Highway code, rule 223. TRT
  • Score: 15

12:28pm Tue 6 May 14

TRT says...

What bugs me about bus drivers is that when they park up on a bus stand, they often put their hazard lights on. If a vehicle then pulls up behind them, it obscures the kerbside indicator, so it then looks like the vehicle is indicating to move out, and according to the Highway Code rule 223, you should let them do so. There is absolutely no need for hazards when standing at a bus stop. The road markings tell drivers that that part of the carriageway is a bus stop or bus stand - it's not a hazard!
What bugs me about bus drivers is that when they park up on a bus stand, they often put their hazard lights on. If a vehicle then pulls up behind them, it obscures the kerbside indicator, so it then looks like the vehicle is indicating to move out, and according to the Highway Code rule 223, you should let them do so. There is absolutely no need for hazards when standing at a bus stop. The road markings tell drivers that that part of the carriageway is a bus stop or bus stand - it's not a hazard! TRT
  • Score: 8

12:59pm Tue 6 May 14

holywell_boy says...

You wait all day for one..........
You wait all day for one.......... holywell_boy
  • Score: 12

1:00pm Tue 6 May 14

Hornets number 12 fan says...

The Buses outside the Palace Theatre are the worst! sitting their eating their dinner while causing a massive blockage on the bus stop! They use the double yellow lines as a bus stop too! It's mayhem down there most days!
The Buses outside the Palace Theatre are the worst! sitting their eating their dinner while causing a massive blockage on the bus stop! They use the double yellow lines as a bus stop too! It's mayhem down there most days! Hornets number 12 fan
  • Score: 3

1:16pm Tue 6 May 14

The Not-so-enlightened one says...

Your life in their hands!
Your life in their hands! The Not-so-enlightened one
  • Score: 1

1:31pm Tue 6 May 14

garston tony says...

TRT wrote:
garston tony wrote: At least one of those drivers is in the wrong job! Whilst on the subject a lot of bus drivers need to be told that just because they are indicating to pull away from a bus stop that doesnt give them a priority to just move out. The number of times ive had a bus just indicate and immediately pull out meaning i've had to brake hard to not hit them, grrrr. They seem to think they dont need to wait like everyone else for a gap or for someone to allow them out.
Highway code, rule 223.
There is a difference between the requirement to give a bus priority and them taking it.

A key phrase in rule 223 is 'when it can be done safely', a bus indicating and immediately pulling straight out into traffic is not a safe manouver. Rule 223 does not give them the right to do that, the onus is still on the bus driver to pull out only when another driver allows them to
[quote][p][bold]TRT[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]garston tony[/bold] wrote: At least one of those drivers is in the wrong job! Whilst on the subject a lot of bus drivers need to be told that just because they are indicating to pull away from a bus stop that doesnt give them a priority to just move out. The number of times ive had a bus just indicate and immediately pull out meaning i've had to brake hard to not hit them, grrrr. They seem to think they dont need to wait like everyone else for a gap or for someone to allow them out.[/p][/quote]Highway code, rule 223.[/p][/quote]There is a difference between the requirement to give a bus priority and them taking it. A key phrase in rule 223 is 'when it can be done safely', a bus indicating and immediately pulling straight out into traffic is not a safe manouver. Rule 223 does not give them the right to do that, the onus is still on the bus driver to pull out only when another driver allows them to garston tony
  • Score: 9

1:31pm Tue 6 May 14

dytham says...

It wasn't Springwell Avenue, it was Church Lane
It wasn't Springwell Avenue, it was Church Lane dytham
  • Score: 6

6:48pm Tue 6 May 14

crazyfrog says...

Is mirror-signal-manoeu
vre still in the Highway Code? Because a lot of people don't a actual y understand that you check your mirror and if and only if it is clear you then signal then you manoeuvre, people seem to signal-mirror-manoeu
vre.
Is mirror-signal-manoeu vre still in the Highway Code? Because a lot of people don't a actual y understand that you check your mirror and if and only if it is clear you then signal then you manoeuvre, people seem to signal-mirror-manoeu vre. crazyfrog
  • Score: 3

7:55pm Tue 6 May 14

Keefer says...

crazyfrog wrote:
Is mirror-signal-manoeu

vre still in the Highway Code? Because a lot of people don't a actual y understand that you check your mirror and if and only if it is clear you then signal then you manoeuvre, people seem to signal-mirror-manoeu

vre.
You need to drive in modern day traffic! you'd never get as far as indicating if you tried that.
[quote][p][bold]crazyfrog[/bold] wrote: Is mirror-signal-manoeu vre still in the Highway Code? Because a lot of people don't a actual y understand that you check your mirror and if and only if it is clear you then signal then you manoeuvre, people seem to signal-mirror-manoeu vre.[/p][/quote]You need to drive in modern day traffic! you'd never get as far as indicating if you tried that. Keefer
  • Score: -5

8:57pm Tue 6 May 14

crazyfrog says...

Keefer wrote:
crazyfrog wrote:
Is mirror-signal-manoeu


vre still in the Highway Code? Because a lot of people don't a actual y understand that you check your mirror and if and only if it is clear you then signal then you manoeuvre, people seem to signal-mirror-manoeu


vre.
You need to drive in modern day traffic! you'd never get as far as indicating if you tried that.
It always works for me, I never indicate to pull out if another vehicle is approaching.
[quote][p][bold]Keefer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]crazyfrog[/bold] wrote: Is mirror-signal-manoeu vre still in the Highway Code? Because a lot of people don't a actual y understand that you check your mirror and if and only if it is clear you then signal then you manoeuvre, people seem to signal-mirror-manoeu vre.[/p][/quote]You need to drive in modern day traffic! you'd never get as far as indicating if you tried that.[/p][/quote]It always works for me, I never indicate to pull out if another vehicle is approaching. crazyfrog
  • Score: -6

11:29pm Tue 6 May 14

morganwilliam says...

A blue bus crashed into a red bus. The drivers were marooned. Boom boom.
A blue bus crashed into a red bus. The drivers were marooned. Boom boom. morganwilliam
  • Score: 17

10:42am Wed 7 May 14

LocalBoy1 says...

garston tony says...

"At least one of those drivers is in the wrong job"............ This is the most appropriate comment on here. How the hell did the driver in the red bus get his PSV licence. As someone who used to drive HGV vehicles. (the big ones that bend!).... this manoeuvre is ridiculous and would have placed passengers at risk!. I hope the driver is dismissed as unsuitable to be trusted with the public on board.
garston tony says... "At least one of those drivers is in the wrong job"............ This is the most appropriate comment on here. How the hell did the driver in the red bus get his PSV licence. As someone who used to drive HGV vehicles. (the big ones that bend!).... this manoeuvre is ridiculous and would have placed passengers at risk!. I hope the driver is dismissed as unsuitable to be trusted with the public on board. LocalBoy1
  • Score: 3

11:41am Wed 7 May 14

Keefer says...

crazyfrog wrote:
Keefer wrote:
crazyfrog wrote:
Is mirror-signal-manoeu



vre still in the Highway Code? Because a lot of people don't a actual y understand that you check your mirror and if and only if it is clear you then signal then you manoeuvre, people seem to signal-mirror-manoeu



vre.
You need to drive in modern day traffic! you'd never get as far as indicating if you tried that.
It always works for me, I never indicate to pull out if another vehicle is approaching.
So you would be the type of driver that's "...never had an accident in 100 years of driving...", but seen lots in your rear view mirror.
[quote][p][bold]crazyfrog[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Keefer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]crazyfrog[/bold] wrote: Is mirror-signal-manoeu vre still in the Highway Code? Because a lot of people don't a actual y understand that you check your mirror and if and only if it is clear you then signal then you manoeuvre, people seem to signal-mirror-manoeu vre.[/p][/quote]You need to drive in modern day traffic! you'd never get as far as indicating if you tried that.[/p][/quote]It always works for me, I never indicate to pull out if another vehicle is approaching.[/p][/quote]So you would be the type of driver that's "...never had an accident in 100 years of driving...", but seen lots in your rear view mirror. Keefer
  • Score: 6

12:07pm Wed 7 May 14

blonde demon says...

they should both be made to retake their driving tests so glad i dont have to use buses
they should both be made to retake their driving tests so glad i dont have to use buses blonde demon
  • Score: 1

2:24pm Wed 7 May 14

crazyfrog says...

Keefer wrote:
crazyfrog wrote:
Keefer wrote:
crazyfrog wrote:
Is mirror-signal-manoeu




vre still in the Highway Code? Because a lot of people don't a actual y understand that you check your mirror and if and only if it is clear you then signal then you manoeuvre, people seem to signal-mirror-manoeu




vre.
You need to drive in modern day traffic! you'd never get as far as indicating if you tried that.
It always works for me, I never indicate to pull out if another vehicle is approaching.
So you would be the type of driver that's "...never had an accident in 100 years of driving...", but seen lots in your rear view mirror.
Not rocket science to understand your driving instructor should of taught it to you and it's written in the Highway Code as well, I also have a PCV licence and was taught this when doing my driver training in london many moons ago.
[quote][p][bold]Keefer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]crazyfrog[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Keefer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]crazyfrog[/bold] wrote: Is mirror-signal-manoeu vre still in the Highway Code? Because a lot of people don't a actual y understand that you check your mirror and if and only if it is clear you then signal then you manoeuvre, people seem to signal-mirror-manoeu vre.[/p][/quote]You need to drive in modern day traffic! you'd never get as far as indicating if you tried that.[/p][/quote]It always works for me, I never indicate to pull out if another vehicle is approaching.[/p][/quote]So you would be the type of driver that's "...never had an accident in 100 years of driving...", but seen lots in your rear view mirror.[/p][/quote]Not rocket science to understand your driving instructor should of taught it to you and it's written in the Highway Code as well, I also have a PCV licence and was taught this when doing my driver training in london many moons ago. crazyfrog
  • Score: 1

2:31pm Wed 7 May 14

Keefer says...

crazyfrog wrote:
Keefer wrote:
crazyfrog wrote:
Keefer wrote:
crazyfrog wrote:
Is mirror-signal-manoeu





vre still in the Highway Code? Because a lot of people don't a actual y understand that you check your mirror and if and only if it is clear you then signal then you manoeuvre, people seem to signal-mirror-manoeu





vre.
You need to drive in modern day traffic! you'd never get as far as indicating if you tried that.
It always works for me, I never indicate to pull out if another vehicle is approaching.
So you would be the type of driver that's "...never had an accident in 100 years of driving...", but seen lots in your rear view mirror.
Not rocket science to understand your driving instructor should of taught it to you and it's written in the Highway Code as well, I also have a PCV licence and was taught this when doing my driver training in london many moons ago.
I know it's in the Highway Code - I did read it ...Once! But it's just not practical if you actually want to go anywhere these days.
[quote][p][bold]crazyfrog[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Keefer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]crazyfrog[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Keefer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]crazyfrog[/bold] wrote: Is mirror-signal-manoeu vre still in the Highway Code? Because a lot of people don't a actual y understand that you check your mirror and if and only if it is clear you then signal then you manoeuvre, people seem to signal-mirror-manoeu vre.[/p][/quote]You need to drive in modern day traffic! you'd never get as far as indicating if you tried that.[/p][/quote]It always works for me, I never indicate to pull out if another vehicle is approaching.[/p][/quote]So you would be the type of driver that's "...never had an accident in 100 years of driving...", but seen lots in your rear view mirror.[/p][/quote]Not rocket science to understand your driving instructor should of taught it to you and it's written in the Highway Code as well, I also have a PCV licence and was taught this when doing my driver training in london many moons ago.[/p][/quote]I know it's in the Highway Code - I did read it ...Once! But it's just not practical if you actually want to go anywhere these days. Keefer
  • Score: -2

2:34pm Wed 7 May 14

Keefer says...

BTW Frog, I'm a former HGV Class II driver - lost my license for pulling out without looking. ;-)

...that last part is a joke ...remember humour?
BTW Frog, I'm a former HGV Class II driver - lost my license for pulling out without looking. ;-) ...that last part is a joke ...remember humour? Keefer
  • Score: 0

3:00pm Wed 7 May 14

TRT says...

I think CrazyFrog means that it is taught that you mirror to see if the manoeuvre is possible, if it's clear, signal, mirror again to check that it's still clear, then manoeuvre. If it's not clear and you can wait, you don't signal, you don't manoeuvre. If you can't wait, e.g. your lane is running out, you signal and wait, checking your mirror, until whatever it is that made it not clear has seen you and responded accordingly making it clear.

The trouble is that there are a number of drivers who consider that if it is clear, then they don't need to signal. But the problem there is that your observation may not have been 100% effective. There may be pedestrians or distant drivers who need to know what you are doing - like the f***tards who fail to indicate left to leave the roundabout and go up Eastbury Road at Bushey Arches leaving the pedestrians on the crossing guessing and cars waiting to leave Eastbury Road in the other direction gnashing their teeth at the missed opportunity.
I think CrazyFrog means that it is taught that you mirror to see if the manoeuvre is possible, if it's clear, signal, mirror again to check that it's still clear, then manoeuvre. If it's not clear and you can wait, you don't signal, you don't manoeuvre. If you can't wait, e.g. your lane is running out, you signal and wait, checking your mirror, until whatever it is that made it not clear has seen you and responded accordingly making it clear. The trouble is that there are a number of drivers who consider that if it is clear, then they don't need to signal. But the problem there is that your observation may not have been 100% effective. There may be pedestrians or distant drivers who need to know what you are doing - like the f***tards who fail to indicate left to leave the roundabout and go up Eastbury Road at Bushey Arches leaving the pedestrians on the crossing guessing and cars waiting to leave Eastbury Road in the other direction gnashing their teeth at the missed opportunity. TRT
  • Score: 2

5:58pm Wed 7 May 14

watfordrick says...

Bus drivers are c**ts
Bus drivers are c**ts watfordrick
  • Score: -2

6:04pm Wed 7 May 14

crazyfrog says...

Keefer wrote:
crazyfrog wrote:
Keefer wrote:
crazyfrog wrote:
Keefer wrote:
crazyfrog wrote:
Is mirror-signal-manoeu






vre still in the Highway Code? Because a lot of people don't a actual y understand that you check your mirror and if and only if it is clear you then signal then you manoeuvre, people seem to signal-mirror-manoeu






vre.
You need to drive in modern day traffic! you'd never get as far as indicating if you tried that.
It always works for me, I never indicate to pull out if another vehicle is approaching.
So you would be the type of driver that's "...never had an accident in 100 years of driving...", but seen lots in your rear view mirror.
Not rocket science to understand your driving instructor should of taught it to you and it's written in the Highway Code as well, I also have a PCV licence and was taught this when doing my driver training in london many moons ago.
I know it's in the Highway Code - I did read it ...Once! But it's just not practical if you actually want to go anywhere these days.
We all got our pet hates about how other people drive that's just one of mine, I lost my sense of humour the same time you lost your HGV licence !
Ok ok I know you were joking!
[quote][p][bold]Keefer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]crazyfrog[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Keefer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]crazyfrog[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Keefer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]crazyfrog[/bold] wrote: Is mirror-signal-manoeu vre still in the Highway Code? Because a lot of people don't a actual y understand that you check your mirror and if and only if it is clear you then signal then you manoeuvre, people seem to signal-mirror-manoeu vre.[/p][/quote]You need to drive in modern day traffic! you'd never get as far as indicating if you tried that.[/p][/quote]It always works for me, I never indicate to pull out if another vehicle is approaching.[/p][/quote]So you would be the type of driver that's "...never had an accident in 100 years of driving...", but seen lots in your rear view mirror.[/p][/quote]Not rocket science to understand your driving instructor should of taught it to you and it's written in the Highway Code as well, I also have a PCV licence and was taught this when doing my driver training in london many moons ago.[/p][/quote]I know it's in the Highway Code - I did read it ...Once! But it's just not practical if you actually want to go anywhere these days.[/p][/quote]We all got our pet hates about how other people drive that's just one of mine, I lost my sense of humour the same time you lost your HGV licence ! Ok ok I know you were joking! crazyfrog
  • Score: 0

10:45pm Wed 7 May 14

Keefer says...

Okay, so now I know it's a pet hate of yours I understand your passion ...you should see me seethe with middle lane hoggers on the Motorways and dual carriageways.
Okay, so now I know it's a pet hate of yours I understand your passion ...you should see me seethe with middle lane hoggers on the Motorways and dual carriageways. Keefer
  • Score: 0

10:45am Thu 8 May 14

Boosey says...

watfordrick wrote:
Bus drivers are c**ts
I would bet a lot of money you would fail a PCV driving test.
[quote][p][bold]watfordrick[/bold] wrote: Bus drivers are c**ts[/p][/quote]I would bet a lot of money you would fail a PCV driving test. Boosey
  • Score: 2

11:18am Thu 8 May 14

LocalBoy1 says...

Boosey wrote:
watfordrick wrote:
Bus drivers are c**ts
I would bet a lot of money you would fail a PCV driving test.
If this is the best the commenter can do to express their views, then I would suggest they are too thick to qualify for a PSV/PCV. Maybe a rickshaw licence? (retired HGV 1 driver)
[quote][p][bold]Boosey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]watfordrick[/bold] wrote: Bus drivers are c**ts[/p][/quote]I would bet a lot of money you would fail a PCV driving test.[/p][/quote]If this is the best the commenter can do to express their views, then I would suggest they are too thick to qualify for a PSV/PCV. Maybe a rickshaw licence? (retired HGV 1 driver) LocalBoy1
  • Score: -2

3:56pm Thu 8 May 14

garston tony says...

Keefer wrote:
Okay, so now I know it's a pet hate of yours I understand your passion ...you should see me seethe with middle lane hoggers on the Motorways and dual carriageways.
I'm with you there, I often feel a strong urge to go all Mad Max on them and ram them off the road.
[quote][p][bold]Keefer[/bold] wrote: Okay, so now I know it's a pet hate of yours I understand your passion ...you should see me seethe with middle lane hoggers on the Motorways and dual carriageways.[/p][/quote]I'm with you there, I often feel a strong urge to go all Mad Max on them and ram them off the road. garston tony
  • Score: 0

5:20pm Tue 3 Jun 14

latexjeans29 says...

The curse of the legendary WO reporters kicks in here. Church lane junction of Shepherds Lane not Springwell as for the Red Rose drivers, they drive like maniacs.
The curse of the legendary WO reporters kicks in here. Church lane junction of Shepherds Lane not Springwell as for the Red Rose drivers, they drive like maniacs. latexjeans29
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree