Watfordians appear conflicted about the prospect of the town becoming the setting for a new 'The Only Way Is Essex' style scripted reality show.
People in the town have used social media sites to express everything from excitement to unbridled horror at news TV producers are auditioning for “We are Watford”.
Want to star in Watford's version of 'The Only Way Is Essex'? RT if you know someone perfect for the show: http://t.co/skJs78IrTy— Watford Observer (@Observer_Owl) May 12, 2014
The tweet that started it all
Here’s a round-up of some of the best reactions:
1. The reaction from some people was immediate - and terse.
'We are Watford' is going to be tragic.— Michael Naylor-Smith (@MNaylorSmith) May 12, 2014
2. Some feared the show would not exactly enhance the town’s reputation.
they're making a new TV show like TOWIE for my town called We Are Watford wow as if this town needs an even WORSE name— ✿ eleanor ✿ (@IeamicheIe_) May 12, 2014
TOWIE being filmed in Waltham Cross. Similar scenes could be coming to Watford.
3. Others wondered if the town is interesting enough to sustain the nation’s attention.
Still can't believe that there is gonna be a reality TV show in Watford. Does anything exciting ever happen in Watford?— Eliot (@ButlerEliot) May 12, 2014
4. The news caused a few Twitter users to lapse into unrestrained despair.
Why Watford, why you do this?! http://t.co/4XJtdmfDsY— Meg Kirby (@MegKirby1) May 12, 2014
5. One person hoped it was all a cruel joke.
.@Observer_Owl Oh, no. Please say it ain't so! I had to check the calendar to see if it was April 1st all over again. Sadly not.— 'Butters' (@cackatalltrades) May 12, 2014
6. At one point the Almighty was invoked to intervene.
.@Observer_Owl God help us.— Luke (@LukeCowham) May 12, 2014
7. However some suspected the protestations just haughty feigns from those who would happily watch the show anyway.
Yeah "We Are Watford" is going to be horrendous, but don't deny you're all going to watch it anyway— Niamh (@NiamhTucker) May 12, 2014
8. On the plus side for the producers, quite a few people instantly had fellow Watfordians in mind as potential characters for the show.
9. For some it seemed to represent a potential high-watermark for British TV.
THERE IS GOING TO BE A NEW REALITY SHOW CALLED 'WE ARE WATFORD' OMG THIS IS THE DREAM http://t.co/VKfNsqRhCR— Payal (@payalshah18) May 12, 2014
10. Some people even sensed an opportunity to launch their own celebrity career.
Should I go for this? 'Only Way is Watford' (I'm not joking)— OfficialHarryHornet (@1HHornet) May 12, 2014