Ed Miliband claims Watford General 'desperately needs modernisation' in party political broadcast

Ed Miliband claims Watford General 'desperately needs modernisation' in party political broadcast

Ed Miliband claims Watford General 'desperately needs modernisation' in party political broadcast

First published in News Watford Observer: Photograph of the Author by , Chief Reporter

Watford General has been described as a hospital that "desperately needed modernisation" in a party political broadcast.

Labour leader Ed Miliband made the comment in an advert he filmed at the Vicarage Road hospital during a two-day visit last month.

In broadcast, which was released today, Mr Miliband said: "This hospital has really desperately needed modernisation. There was a plan under the last Labour government. It was got rid of by this government to modernise the hospital.

"It was really interesting going to the maternity ward because there is one bit that's new, the birthing centre, and there's quite a lot of it, the old bit that has got peeling paint. And, you know, if you're giving birth it really matters whether the facilities are good enough or not good enough."

The hospital takes centre stage in four-minute film and shows footage of Mr Miliband shadowing staff and talking to patients.

The Labour MP uses his experience at the hospital as a platform to launch his pledge to shorten the time it takes people to see a GP. He also says his experience at the hospital made him "impatient to be Prime Minister."

Over the last decade there have been a number of plans to regenerate Watford General Hospital.

During the last Government there were plans drawn up under the health campus scheme to use a private finance initiative to fund a new 600 bed hospital along with 500 new homes.

However the plan was ditched during the recession and the Coalition Government has abandoned PFIs as a method of funding infrastructure projects.

Since then Watford Borough Council has organised a new health campus scheme to regenerate the land around the hospital with developers Kier, which would see up to 750 homes built.

This scheme has run into trouble over its plans to concrete over the Farm Terrace Allotments, which is being challenged in the High Court.

Also the extent to the hospital redevelopment is now uncertain. Space has been left in the plans for the hospital to expend. Meanwhile the health trust in charge of the hospital has said it will not know what it wants to do until after it completes its clinical strategy review in mid 2015.

Comments (19)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:49pm Wed 14 May 14

ancientandageing says...

Good to see, BTW Richard Harrington asked a question at PMQ's today, mentioned devolopment,roads, rail but I recall nothing on a new hospital or the like.

Must be the property devoloper in him
Good to see, BTW Richard Harrington asked a question at PMQ's today, mentioned devolopment,roads, rail but I recall nothing on a new hospital or the like. Must be the property devoloper in him ancientandageing
  • Score: 1

7:11pm Wed 14 May 14

TRT says...

Desperately needs not having all the potential building land out the back taken up with houses...
remember the old plan? New hospital first, townhouses second...
Desperately needs not having all the potential building land out the back taken up with houses... remember the old plan? New hospital first, townhouses second... TRT
  • Score: 6

7:15pm Wed 14 May 14

bishopofwatford says...

"Desperately needs modernisation".....i
f that was the case why was that not
done or at least started in the 13 or so years that labour were in power?

Oh i just remembers we had a labour MP then. And a tory one now....there must be elections in the air!
"Desperately needs modernisation".....i f that was the case why was that not done or at least started in the 13 or so years that labour were in power? Oh i just remembers we had a labour MP then. And a tory one now....there must be elections in the air! bishopofwatford
  • Score: 11

7:43pm Wed 14 May 14

ancientandageing says...

bishopofwatford wrote:
"Desperately needs modernisation".....i

f that was the case why was that not
done or at least started in the 13 or so years that labour were in power?

Oh i just remembers we had a labour MP then. And a tory one now....there must be elections in the air!
there was a plan for a new hospital, the default is then to have it done when the new hospital is built no?
[quote][p][bold]bishopofwatford[/bold] wrote: "Desperately needs modernisation".....i f that was the case why was that not done or at least started in the 13 or so years that labour were in power? Oh i just remembers we had a labour MP then. And a tory one now....there must be elections in the air![/p][/quote]there was a plan for a new hospital, the default is then to have it done when the new hospital is built no? ancientandageing
  • Score: -2

9:14pm Wed 14 May 14

bishopofwatford says...

ancientandageing wrote:
bishopofwatford wrote:
"Desperately needs modernisation".....i


f that was the case why was that not
done or at least started in the 13 or so years that labour were in power?

Oh i just remembers we had a labour MP then. And a tory one now....there must be elections in the air!
there was a plan for a new hospital, the default is then to have it done when the new hospital is built no?
Sorry to be slow but your comment makes no sense .....
[quote][p][bold]ancientandageing[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bishopofwatford[/bold] wrote: "Desperately needs modernisation".....i f that was the case why was that not done or at least started in the 13 or so years that labour were in power? Oh i just remembers we had a labour MP then. And a tory one now....there must be elections in the air![/p][/quote]there was a plan for a new hospital, the default is then to have it done when the new hospital is built no?[/p][/quote]Sorry to be slow but your comment makes no sense ..... bishopofwatford
  • Score: 6

10:45pm Wed 14 May 14

UKIP-pal says...

bishopofwatford wrote:
ancientandageing wrote:
bishopofwatford wrote:
"Desperately needs modernisation".....i



f that was the case why was that not
done or at least started in the 13 or so years that labour were in power?

Oh i just remembers we had a labour MP then. And a tory one now....there must be elections in the air!
there was a plan for a new hospital, the default is then to have it done when the new hospital is built no?
Sorry to be slow but your comment makes no sense .....
The position up untill recently was that we were to get a new Hospital, at which time we would have new facilities.
Why buy them and not get the use? would have been a question asked of any investment, why pay for a tweenty year maintance std job when a five year std job is in keeping with getting a new hospital etc
[quote][p][bold]bishopofwatford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ancientandageing[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bishopofwatford[/bold] wrote: "Desperately needs modernisation".....i f that was the case why was that not done or at least started in the 13 or so years that labour were in power? Oh i just remembers we had a labour MP then. And a tory one now....there must be elections in the air![/p][/quote]there was a plan for a new hospital, the default is then to have it done when the new hospital is built no?[/p][/quote]Sorry to be slow but your comment makes no sense .....[/p][/quote]The position up untill recently was that we were to get a new Hospital, at which time we would have new facilities. Why buy them and not get the use? would have been a question asked of any investment, why pay for a tweenty year maintance std job when a five year std job is in keeping with getting a new hospital etc UKIP-pal
  • Score: 0

11:08pm Wed 14 May 14

WatfordTed says...

UKIP-pal wrote:
bishopofwatford wrote:
ancientandageing wrote:
bishopofwatford wrote:
"Desperately needs modernisation".....i




f that was the case why was that not
done or at least started in the 13 or so years that labour were in power?

Oh i just remembers we had a labour MP then. And a tory one now....there must be elections in the air!
there was a plan for a new hospital, the default is then to have it done when the new hospital is built no?
Sorry to be slow but your comment makes no sense .....
The position up untill recently was that we were to get a new Hospital, at which time we would have new facilities.
Why buy them and not get the use? would have been a question asked of any investment, why pay for a tweenty year maintance std job when a five year std job is in keeping with getting a new hospital etc
I agree and lets keep Britain British lets keep Britain out of the European market.

Only UKIP will do this, we need to stop the imigrants taking all the British jobs and letting them use the the NHS and taking all the houses that white people need.

Vote UKIP get UKIP
[quote][p][bold]UKIP-pal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bishopofwatford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ancientandageing[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bishopofwatford[/bold] wrote: "Desperately needs modernisation".....i f that was the case why was that not done or at least started in the 13 or so years that labour were in power? Oh i just remembers we had a labour MP then. And a tory one now....there must be elections in the air![/p][/quote]there was a plan for a new hospital, the default is then to have it done when the new hospital is built no?[/p][/quote]Sorry to be slow but your comment makes no sense .....[/p][/quote]The position up untill recently was that we were to get a new Hospital, at which time we would have new facilities. Why buy them and not get the use? would have been a question asked of any investment, why pay for a tweenty year maintance std job when a five year std job is in keeping with getting a new hospital etc[/p][/quote]I agree and lets keep Britain British lets keep Britain out of the European market. Only UKIP will do this, we need to stop the imigrants taking all the British jobs and letting them use the the NHS and taking all the houses that white people need. Vote UKIP get UKIP WatfordTed
  • Score: -11

11:10pm Wed 14 May 14

ancientandageing says...

@bishopofwatford
I simply mean some spending gets put of untill the new hospital is built, I think that would have happaned.

really the detail doesn't matter, but the trust would be criticizred if it spent £100000's on stuff that they got very little use out of
@bishopofwatford I simply mean some spending gets put of untill the new hospital is built, I think that would have happaned. really the detail doesn't matter, but the trust would be criticizred if it spent £100000's on stuff that they got very little use out of ancientandageing
  • Score: -3

11:25pm Wed 14 May 14

UKIP-pal says...

WatfordTed wrote:
UKIP-pal wrote:
bishopofwatford wrote:
ancientandageing wrote:
bishopofwatford wrote:
"Desperately needs modernisation".....i





f that was the case why was that not
done or at least started in the 13 or so years that labour were in power?

Oh i just remembers we had a labour MP then. And a tory one now....there must be elections in the air!
there was a plan for a new hospital, the default is then to have it done when the new hospital is built no?
Sorry to be slow but your comment makes no sense .....
The position up untill recently was that we were to get a new Hospital, at which time we would have new facilities.
Why buy them and not get the use? would have been a question asked of any investment, why pay for a tweenty year maintance std job when a five year std job is in keeping with getting a new hospital etc
I agree and lets keep Britain British lets keep Britain out of the European market.

Only UKIP will do this, we need to stop the imigrants taking all the British jobs and letting them use the the NHS and taking all the houses that white people need.

Vote UKIP get UKIP
you seem very angry, you need my friendship and love to find your inner humanity, that thing you share with everyone,
When you need the NHS it is there for you, if you need a transffusion of blood it is given, that blood could be from a muslim a christian a jew, black or white, it is given and it is given with love and friendship to be used irrespective of your religion colour or creed.
The nurse may need to tend to you, a doctor may need to use all his skill and training to heal you, all manor of technceans and people giving you not only thier labor but their love, compassion, and care irrespective of your bigotry prejudice.
So the very least I can do is give you some love before so as your bigotry and hatred is deminished before you need the nhs
[quote][p][bold]WatfordTed[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]UKIP-pal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bishopofwatford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ancientandageing[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bishopofwatford[/bold] wrote: "Desperately needs modernisation".....i f that was the case why was that not done or at least started in the 13 or so years that labour were in power? Oh i just remembers we had a labour MP then. And a tory one now....there must be elections in the air![/p][/quote]there was a plan for a new hospital, the default is then to have it done when the new hospital is built no?[/p][/quote]Sorry to be slow but your comment makes no sense .....[/p][/quote]The position up untill recently was that we were to get a new Hospital, at which time we would have new facilities. Why buy them and not get the use? would have been a question asked of any investment, why pay for a tweenty year maintance std job when a five year std job is in keeping with getting a new hospital etc[/p][/quote]I agree and lets keep Britain British lets keep Britain out of the European market. Only UKIP will do this, we need to stop the imigrants taking all the British jobs and letting them use the the NHS and taking all the houses that white people need. Vote UKIP get UKIP[/p][/quote]you seem very angry, you need my friendship and love to find your inner humanity, that thing you share with everyone, When you need the NHS it is there for you, if you need a transffusion of blood it is given, that blood could be from a muslim a christian a jew, black or white, it is given and it is given with love and friendship to be used irrespective of your religion colour or creed. The nurse may need to tend to you, a doctor may need to use all his skill and training to heal you, all manor of technceans and people giving you not only thier labor but their love, compassion, and care irrespective of your bigotry prejudice. So the very least I can do is give you some love before so as your bigotry and hatred is deminished before you need the nhs UKIP-pal
  • Score: 4

11:37pm Wed 14 May 14

WatfordTed says...

On May 22nd vote Phil Cox.

He is the only one who wants the proper British people to do well, lets stop ll these imigrants and gays getting the rights and funny marriages.
On May 22nd vote Phil Cox. He is the only one who wants the proper British people to do well, lets stop ll these imigrants and gays getting the rights and funny marriages. WatfordTed
  • Score: -9

11:46pm Wed 14 May 14

Aryldi says...

Watford General Hospital - sponsored by Labour.
Watford General Hospital - sponsored by Labour. Aryldi
  • Score: 2

11:59pm Wed 14 May 14

UKIP-pal says...

WatfordTed wrote:
On May 22nd vote Phil Cox.

He is the only one who wants the proper British people to do well, lets stop ll these imigrants and gays getting the rights and funny marriages.
foriegn nurses doctors and all maner of staff work in the NhS, they care love and give compassion and healing to all irrespective of race sexualty, creed colour religion and even racist bigotry.
Donors give blood organs and life likewise, its love feel the love you take it, your family and friends take it, it is given irrespective of anything apart from a shared humanity, would you deny the gift of gay blood or muslim blood or Romanian blood??
No and despite your bigotry it is given with love, you need more love THAN ANYONE ELSE HERE

(((((HUG))))) (((((HUG))))) (((((HUG))))) (((((HUG))))) (((((HUG)))))
[quote][p][bold]WatfordTed[/bold] wrote: On May 22nd vote Phil Cox. He is the only one who wants the proper British people to do well, lets stop ll these imigrants and gays getting the rights and funny marriages.[/p][/quote]foriegn nurses doctors and all maner of staff work in the NhS, they care love and give compassion and healing to all irrespective of race sexualty, creed colour religion and even racist bigotry. Donors give blood organs and life likewise, its love feel the love you take it, your family and friends take it, it is given irrespective of anything apart from a shared humanity, would you deny the gift of gay blood or muslim blood or Romanian blood?? No and despite your bigotry it is given with love, you need more love THAN ANYONE ELSE HERE (((((HUG))))) (((((HUG))))) (((((HUG))))) (((((HUG))))) (((((HUG))))) UKIP-pal
  • Score: 1

12:05am Thu 15 May 14

Aryldi says...

Department of Health guidance, for the benefit of Watford General Hospital:

"As at all other times, NHS staff should not be asked to engage in activities which are likely to call into question the political impartiality of their organisation or could give rise to criticism that public resources are being used for party political purposes. In particular, you will want to ensure that there are no grounds for complaint against your organisation that it has behaved partially towards political candidates or parties."

... like agreeing to participate in footage for a Party Political Broadcast, for example...
Department of Health guidance, for the benefit of Watford General Hospital: "As at all other times, NHS staff should not be asked to engage in activities which are likely to call into question the political impartiality of their organisation or could give rise to criticism that public resources are being used for party political purposes. In particular, you will want to ensure that there are no grounds for complaint against your organisation that it has behaved partially towards political candidates or parties." ... like agreeing to participate in footage for a Party Political Broadcast, for example... Aryldi
  • Score: 0

12:39am Thu 15 May 14

UKIP-pal says...

Aryldi wrote:
Department of Health guidance, for the benefit of Watford General Hospital:

"As at all other times, NHS staff should not be asked to engage in activities which are likely to call into question the political impartiality of their organisation or could give rise to criticism that public resources are being used for party political purposes. In particular, you will want to ensure that there are no grounds for complaint against your organisation that it has behaved partially towards political candidates or parties."

... like agreeing to participate in footage for a Party Political Broadcast, for example...
how exactly do you think this broke the rules then???
[quote][p][bold]Aryldi[/bold] wrote: Department of Health guidance, for the benefit of Watford General Hospital: "As at all other times, NHS staff should not be asked to engage in activities which are likely to call into question the political impartiality of their organisation or could give rise to criticism that public resources are being used for party political purposes. In particular, you will want to ensure that there are no grounds for complaint against your organisation that it has behaved partially towards political candidates or parties." ... like agreeing to participate in footage for a Party Political Broadcast, for example...[/p][/quote]how exactly do you think this broke the rules then??? UKIP-pal
  • Score: 0

12:41am Thu 15 May 14

UKIP-pal says...

Aryldi wrote:
Watford General Hospital - sponsored by Labour.
NHS made by Labour
NHS reserected BY Labour

Labour Love the NHS, when you need it you feel the love
[quote][p][bold]Aryldi[/bold] wrote: Watford General Hospital - sponsored by Labour.[/p][/quote]NHS made by Labour NHS reserected BY Labour Labour Love the NHS, when you need it you feel the love UKIP-pal
  • Score: -3

11:12am Thu 15 May 14

Concerned#51 says...

The hospital is in great need and there has been some updating, but just updating without the staff and allocated hours of employment required there is no point. Whilst staff are working 2/3 hours over there shift times to complete patient care, they are not reaching there targets, they are caring professionals that are completing there work by putting there life on hold. Patient care should not be a target!!!
The hospital is in great need and there has been some updating, but just updating without the staff and allocated hours of employment required there is no point. Whilst staff are working 2/3 hours over there shift times to complete patient care, they are not reaching there targets, they are caring professionals that are completing there work by putting there life on hold. Patient care should not be a target!!! Concerned#51
  • Score: 1

2:44pm Thu 15 May 14

Aryldi says...

UKIP-pal wrote:
Aryldi wrote:
Department of Health guidance, for the benefit of Watford General Hospital:

"As at all other times, NHS staff should not be asked to engage in activities which are likely to call into question the political impartiality of their organisation or could give rise to criticism that public resources are being used for party political purposes. In particular, you will want to ensure that there are no grounds for complaint against your organisation that it has behaved partially towards political candidates or parties."

... like agreeing to participate in footage for a Party Political Broadcast, for example...
how exactly do you think this broke the rules then???
I have no idea how taking participating in a political campaign for a particular party could be seen to be behaving partially towards them, lol.
[quote][p][bold]UKIP-pal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Aryldi[/bold] wrote: Department of Health guidance, for the benefit of Watford General Hospital: "As at all other times, NHS staff should not be asked to engage in activities which are likely to call into question the political impartiality of their organisation or could give rise to criticism that public resources are being used for party political purposes. In particular, you will want to ensure that there are no grounds for complaint against your organisation that it has behaved partially towards political candidates or parties." ... like agreeing to participate in footage for a Party Political Broadcast, for example...[/p][/quote]how exactly do you think this broke the rules then???[/p][/quote]I have no idea how taking participating in a political campaign for a particular party could be seen to be behaving partially towards them, lol. Aryldi
  • Score: -1

7:11pm Thu 15 May 14

WatfordTed says...

UKIP-pal wrote:
Aryldi wrote:
Watford General Hospital - sponsored by Labour.
NHS made by Labour
NHS reserected BY Labour

Labour Love the NHS, when you need it you feel the love
UKIP want to make the NHS a thing of the past, it is time for private healthcare so all the Labour voting scroungers and imigrants don't get there breast implants and new livers as they sit about drinking all day instead of working.
[quote][p][bold]UKIP-pal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Aryldi[/bold] wrote: Watford General Hospital - sponsored by Labour.[/p][/quote]NHS made by Labour NHS reserected BY Labour Labour Love the NHS, when you need it you feel the love[/p][/quote]UKIP want to make the NHS a thing of the past, it is time for private healthcare so all the Labour voting scroungers and imigrants don't get there breast implants and new livers as they sit about drinking all day instead of working. WatfordTed
  • Score: -1

9:03am Fri 16 May 14

garston tony says...

bishopofwatford wrote:
"Desperately needs modernisation".....i f that was the case why was that not done or at least started in the 13 or so years that labour were in power? Oh i just remembers we had a labour MP then. And a tory one now....there must be elections in the air!
Agree 100%, once again Labour are pointing out failings that they didnt address (or in many cases actually caused themselves) whilst they were in power.

Should the hospital be better, yes of course so fair enough nothings really happened under the current government. But Labour had over three times longer to do something and far more money too! Do they really think we're stupid enough to forget that?
[quote][p][bold]bishopofwatford[/bold] wrote: "Desperately needs modernisation".....i f that was the case why was that not done or at least started in the 13 or so years that labour were in power? Oh i just remembers we had a labour MP then. And a tory one now....there must be elections in the air![/p][/quote]Agree 100%, once again Labour are pointing out failings that they didnt address (or in many cases actually caused themselves) whilst they were in power. Should the hospital be better, yes of course so fair enough nothings really happened under the current government. But Labour had over three times longer to do something and far more money too! Do they really think we're stupid enough to forget that? garston tony
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree