Kings Langley Secondary School rebuild plans submitted to council

Kings Langley Secondary School headteacher Gary Lewis with pupils in front of current facilities

Kings Langley Secondary School headteacher Gary Lewis with pupils in front of current facilities

First published in News Watford Observer: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter

Plans to demolish and rebuild Kings Langley Secondary School have been submitted to Dacorum Borough Council.

Plans involve the complete tear down of the current school, in Love Lane, and replacing it with a new three story block.

There will also be additional parking and a new drop-off zone to ease congestion on surrounding roads and there will be enough space for eight coaches in a new turning circle.

New playing fields will also be created, with two full size football pitches, three tennis and netball courts, an under-14s football pitch, a rugby pitch and five cricket strips.

A "state of the art" sports hall will be built and pupils will have the opportunity to access a covered outdoor amphitheatre.

A new boulevard will lead up to the school from the main gate, which will only be able to be accessed by pin. Trees will line both sides of the the boulevard.

When the plans were unveiled earlier this month headteacher Gary Lewis said: "As the headteacher of a 1,100 student school, I’m utterly delighted that they are going to get the facilities they deserve. The facilities that we have got at the moment are not fit for purpose. It is remarkable that the children have done so well."

The school will not be taking on any additional pupils and the contractor carrying out the work, Interserve Kajima, has said it is too early in the process to say how many classrooms will be at the school.

Arcitects say the school will be re-positioned to "maximise the environmental performance of the teaching areas" and get as much natural light into the school as possible.

Kings langley is one of eight schools being rebuilt after getting the nod for development from the Education Funding Agency (EFA). If the plans are approved, the school is expected to be finished by July 2016.

The EFA estimate the build will cost in the region of £15million.

Chrissy Gomez, 37, who has a daughter in year seven at the school, told the Watford Observer at the unveiling of the new plans: "It is quite dilapidated at the moment. The fact that it’s going to be a modern school will be good not only for the pupils, but for the community as a whole."

Dacorum Borough Council is scheduled to consider the plans by Wednesday, August 6, and will be consulting villagers about them in the coming weeks.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree