Mayor Dorothy Thornhill: 'This will be my last term as mayor'

Mayor Dorothy Thornhill: 'This will be my last term as mayor'

Mayor Dorothy Thornhill: 'This will be my last term as mayor'

First published in News
Last updated
Watford Observer: Photograph of the Author by , Chief Reporter

Watford’s newly re-elected mayor has said this will be her last term in the office.

Dorothy Thornhill said she would not seek a fifth term in the job after securing her fourth in a row last month.

She said: "There is one decision I have made: This will be my last term as mayor."

The Liberal Democrat comfortably held the mayoralty on May 22 and beat her nearest challenger by more than 6,000 votes.

Mayor Thornhill did originally rule out running for a fourth term after her third mayoral victory in 2010. However she later changed her mind, saying she had suffered a health scare at the time and she wanted to see through large projects such as the health campus and Croxley Rail Link.

Meanwhile the mayor has still not ruled out standing for Parliament in next year’s General Election.

The Liberal Democrats are starting to advertise for candidates and Mayor Thornhill has said she will decide whether she throws her hat into the ring over the coming weeks.

Before the election the mayor said she was "undecided" about standing next May and that elements in her party were encouraging her be Watford’s candidate.

The Liberal Democrats came second in Watford in the 2010, finishing just 1,425 votes behind Conservative MP, Richard Harrington.

Comments (18)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:01pm Thu 5 Jun 14

TRT says...

"Mayor Thornhill did originally rule out running for a fourth term after her third mayoral victory in 2010. However she later changed her mind, saying she had suffered a health scare at the time and she wanted to see through large projects such as the health campus and Croxley Rail Link."

Yeah, pensions are being hit hard during austerity. Can't blame her for making sure she'll have enough to retire comfortably.
"Mayor Thornhill did originally rule out running for a fourth term after her third mayoral victory in 2010. However she later changed her mind, saying she had suffered a health scare at the time and she wanted to see through large projects such as the health campus and Croxley Rail Link." Yeah, pensions are being hit hard during austerity. Can't blame her for making sure she'll have enough to retire comfortably. TRT
  • Score: 4

6:16pm Thu 5 Jun 14

davidhornet says...

Good
Good davidhornet
  • Score: 3

6:46pm Thu 5 Jun 14

UAFhornet says...

davidhornet wrote:
Good
Yea David, to think we could have Phil Cox with his idea of not letting Watford regenerate the hospital..

And his other inspirational idea....
He will set up the office of sensible ideas and common sense, if you don't believe me that was in his manifesto.

http://www.watfordob
server.co.uk/news/11
203819.Phil_Cox__man
ifesto_promises_to_c
ap_council_officials
____pay__roll_back_p
arking_restrictions_
and_introduce_office
_of_Common_Sense/


But then Cox did get knocked out first round with only 3 thousand votes compared to Dotty's 14k..

Maybe David Penn his election agent should take Cox out for a pint to get over the humiliation?
[quote][p][bold]davidhornet[/bold] wrote: Good[/p][/quote]Yea David, to think we could have Phil Cox with his idea of not letting Watford regenerate the hospital.. And his other inspirational idea.... He will set up the office of sensible ideas and common sense, if you don't believe me that was in his manifesto. http://www.watfordob server.co.uk/news/11 203819.Phil_Cox__man ifesto_promises_to_c ap_council_officials ____pay__roll_back_p arking_restrictions_ and_introduce_office _of_Common_Sense/ But then Cox did get knocked out first round with only 3 thousand votes compared to Dotty's 14k.. Maybe David Penn his election agent should take Cox out for a pint to get over the humiliation? UAFhornet
  • Score: -5

7:10pm Thu 5 Jun 14

davidhornet says...

UAFhornet wrote:
davidhornet wrote:
Good
Yea David, to think we could have Phil Cox with his idea of not letting Watford regenerate the hospital..

And his other inspirational idea....
He will set up the office of sensible ideas and common sense, if you don't believe me that was in his manifesto.

http://www.watfordob

server.co.uk/news/11

203819.Phil_Cox__man

ifesto_promises_to_c

ap_council_officials

____pay__roll_back_p

arking_restrictions_

and_introduce_office

_of_Common_Sense/


But then Cox did get knocked out first round with only 3 thousand votes compared to Dotty's 14k..

Maybe David Penn his election agent should take Cox out for a pint to get over the humiliation?
Fair comment. I am just jaded by the fact that politicians of all political persuasions spend so long spinning stories and posting on here, how can they find time to serve the electorate that they have promised so much to in order to get voted in? Their egos know no bounds, their policies are half baked garbage. We only vote in the best of a bad bunch. Phil Cox would not know common sense if it was formed into a sledgehammer and fell on his head. Spin is out of control, we have 92k being spent on a hawk to stop pigeons cra**ing on the Parade. Tweets emanate from every public office telling us what a good job they are all doing. Apathy rules.
[quote][p][bold]UAFhornet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]davidhornet[/bold] wrote: Good[/p][/quote]Yea David, to think we could have Phil Cox with his idea of not letting Watford regenerate the hospital.. And his other inspirational idea.... He will set up the office of sensible ideas and common sense, if you don't believe me that was in his manifesto. http://www.watfordob server.co.uk/news/11 203819.Phil_Cox__man ifesto_promises_to_c ap_council_officials ____pay__roll_back_p arking_restrictions_ and_introduce_office _of_Common_Sense/ But then Cox did get knocked out first round with only 3 thousand votes compared to Dotty's 14k.. Maybe David Penn his election agent should take Cox out for a pint to get over the humiliation?[/p][/quote]Fair comment. I am just jaded by the fact that politicians of all political persuasions spend so long spinning stories and posting on here, how can they find time to serve the electorate that they have promised so much to in order to get voted in? Their egos know no bounds, their policies are half baked garbage. We only vote in the best of a bad bunch. Phil Cox would not know common sense if it was formed into a sledgehammer and fell on his head. Spin is out of control, we have 92k being spent on a hawk to stop pigeons cra**ing on the Parade. Tweets emanate from every public office telling us what a good job they are all doing. Apathy rules. davidhornet
  • Score: 5

7:21pm Thu 5 Jun 14

Popeonarope says...

A new hospital would be a good legacy Dotty! Far better than a bridge over a duck pond. Maybe the 14k who voted for you and the majority who didn't could work that out and make it happen.
A new hospital would be a good legacy Dotty! Far better than a bridge over a duck pond. Maybe the 14k who voted for you and the majority who didn't could work that out and make it happen. Popeonarope
  • Score: 12

9:01pm Thu 5 Jun 14

crazyfrog says...

Popeonarope wrote:
A new hospital would be a good legacy Dotty! Far better than a bridge over a duck pond. Maybe the 14k who voted for you and the majority who didn't could work that out and make it happen.
She has no intention of facilitating a new hospital the sooner people realise this the better.
[quote][p][bold]Popeonarope[/bold] wrote: A new hospital would be a good legacy Dotty! Far better than a bridge over a duck pond. Maybe the 14k who voted for you and the majority who didn't could work that out and make it happen.[/p][/quote]She has no intention of facilitating a new hospital the sooner people realise this the better. crazyfrog
  • Score: 13

10:03pm Thu 5 Jun 14

BCB69 says...

Don't believe a word of it, she will change her mind where and whenever she want's to, just imagine you are asleep and dreaming and will wake up in 3 to 4 years and it never happened. Good old dotty always good for a laugh.
Don't believe a word of it, she will change her mind where and whenever she want's to, just imagine you are asleep and dreaming and will wake up in 3 to 4 years and it never happened. Good old dotty always good for a laugh. BCB69
  • Score: 6

11:41pm Thu 5 Jun 14

Watfordengineer says...

crazyfrog wrote:
Popeonarope wrote:
A new hospital would be a good legacy Dotty! Far better than a bridge over a duck pond. Maybe the 14k who voted for you and the majority who didn't could work that out and make it happen.
She has no intention of facilitating a new hospital the sooner people realise this the better.
I don't know what you think her responsibilities are, but managing the hospital and the extent of the hospital redevelopment do not fall in her remit.
I happened to bump into the chairman of the west herts trust at a charity event and talked briefly with him. it is all to do with central government funding.

Given she got 14k votes she is clearly keeping a great number of Watford folk happy. Yeah she spends money, but she can't be over spending or our council tax would be rising heavily or our bins would be collected every other week. So cut her some slack!
[quote][p][bold]crazyfrog[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Popeonarope[/bold] wrote: A new hospital would be a good legacy Dotty! Far better than a bridge over a duck pond. Maybe the 14k who voted for you and the majority who didn't could work that out and make it happen.[/p][/quote]She has no intention of facilitating a new hospital the sooner people realise this the better.[/p][/quote]I don't know what you think her responsibilities are, but managing the hospital and the extent of the hospital redevelopment do not fall in her remit. I happened to bump into the chairman of the west herts trust at a charity event and talked briefly with him. it is all to do with central government funding. Given she got 14k votes she is clearly keeping a great number of Watford folk happy. Yeah she spends money, but she can't be over spending or our council tax would be rising heavily or our bins would be collected every other week. So cut her some slack! Watfordengineer
  • Score: -3

1:33am Fri 6 Jun 14

Honest Rog says...

Come on Reg/Phil/D.Penn. For the past year you amused us with your comments on everything from uneven paving slabs to getting the trains running on time. Just because the Watford electorate massively rejected you doesn't mean that you have to stop entertaining us.
Office for Common Sense? Oh how we chuckled.
Come on Reg/Phil/D.Penn. For the past year you amused us with your comments on everything from uneven paving slabs to getting the trains running on time. Just because the Watford electorate massively rejected you doesn't mean that you have to stop entertaining us. Office for Common Sense? Oh how we chuckled. Honest Rog
  • Score: 2

7:34am Fri 6 Jun 14

#UKMum says...

The FibDems keep spinning. "With over 50,000 people eligible to vote only around a fifth voted for her outright". "She managed 11,741 votes on the first round and picked up a further 2,452 in second preferences." A lot of people in Watford didn't vote for Dorothy I'm afraid and FibDems came 6th in Newark. People are saying they are really fed up with them in reality. A friend I spoke with the other day actually joined the FibDems and helped them canvass. After Clegg's duplicity she ripped up her membership. Shw will never vote for them again she said.
The FibDems keep spinning. "With over 50,000 people eligible to vote only around a fifth voted for her outright". "She managed 11,741 votes on the first round and picked up a further 2,452 in second preferences." A lot of people in Watford didn't vote for Dorothy I'm afraid and FibDems came 6th in Newark. People are saying they are really fed up with them in reality. A friend I spoke with the other day actually joined the FibDems and helped them canvass. After Clegg's duplicity she ripped up her membership. Shw will never vote for them again she said. #UKMum
  • Score: 0

8:03am Fri 6 Jun 14

garston tony says...

I wont believe it until it happens, if she doesnt go for or get to be MP next year I can well imagine in four years time her having another change of heart and standing for yet another term.

Apart from the fact I dont think she is actually more interested in what is good for her than what is good for the town is it healthy to have the same person in control for all of that time?

The nightmare scenario is that she'll try and stand for MP, loose that election so stay on as Mayor and then stand for re election in 2018 and somehow win. It still baffles me how she won the other week when she refused to commit to the job for the full term, its ridiculous
I wont believe it until it happens, if she doesnt go for or get to be MP next year I can well imagine in four years time her having another change of heart and standing for yet another term. Apart from the fact I dont think she is actually more interested in what is good for her than what is good for the town is it healthy to have the same person in control for all of that time? The nightmare scenario is that she'll try and stand for MP, loose that election so stay on as Mayor and then stand for re election in 2018 and somehow win. It still baffles me how she won the other week when she refused to commit to the job for the full term, its ridiculous garston tony
  • Score: 5

9:46am Fri 6 Jun 14

Phil Cox (UKIP) says...

The electorate, fooled this time, once again, by Dotty, would also have some part to play in her re-election hopes in 2018.

The writing is on the wall for the LibDems. They are going the way of the dodo.
The electorate, fooled this time, once again, by Dotty, would also have some part to play in her re-election hopes in 2018. The writing is on the wall for the LibDems. They are going the way of the dodo. Phil Cox (UKIP)
  • Score: -4

12:18pm Fri 6 Jun 14

LocalBoy1 says...

"she wanted to see through large projects such as the health campus" Really? you mean that health campus that is really 700 homes and NO new hospital? That project? Goodbye Dorothy, like the other commenter said, Lib Dems are going the way of the Do Do..
"she wanted to see through large projects such as the health campus" Really? you mean that health campus that is really 700 homes and NO new hospital? That project? Goodbye Dorothy, like the other commenter said, Lib Dems are going the way of the Do Do.. LocalBoy1
  • Score: 5

1:22pm Fri 6 Jun 14

Watfordengineer says...

#UKMum wrote:
The FibDems keep spinning. "With over 50,000 people eligible to vote only around a fifth voted for her outright". "She managed 11,741 votes on the first round and picked up a further 2,452 in second preferences." A lot of people in Watford didn't vote for Dorothy I'm afraid and FibDems came 6th in Newark. People are saying they are really fed up with them in reality. A friend I spoke with the other day actually joined the FibDems and helped them canvass. After Clegg's duplicity she ripped up her membership. Shw will never vote for them again she said.
I don't remember Dotty standing in the Newark by election so how is that relevant.

What you say should inspire dotty to stay on even longer. if the lib dems are doing so badly nationally, then her success locally is in my mind, rave review of her time in office as Mayor!
[quote][p][bold]#UKMum[/bold] wrote: The FibDems keep spinning. "With over 50,000 people eligible to vote only around a fifth voted for her outright". "She managed 11,741 votes on the first round and picked up a further 2,452 in second preferences." A lot of people in Watford didn't vote for Dorothy I'm afraid and FibDems came 6th in Newark. People are saying they are really fed up with them in reality. A friend I spoke with the other day actually joined the FibDems and helped them canvass. After Clegg's duplicity she ripped up her membership. Shw will never vote for them again she said.[/p][/quote]I don't remember Dotty standing in the Newark by election so how is that relevant. What you say should inspire dotty to stay on even longer. if the lib dems are doing so badly nationally, then her success locally is in my mind, rave review of her time in office as Mayor! Watfordengineer
  • Score: -5

5:45pm Fri 6 Jun 14

MaryShabti1 says...

Oh and have you heard the latest the link road will have cameras that record your registration number and if your local you will get fined. Add that to the non existent new hospital and chuck in a bridge over the duck pond and I would say the electorate have been conned.
Oh and have you heard the latest the link road will have cameras that record your registration number and if your local you will get fined. Add that to the non existent new hospital and chuck in a bridge over the duck pond and I would say the electorate have been conned. MaryShabti1
  • Score: 3

6:19pm Fri 6 Jun 14

Popeonarope says...

Watfordengineer wrote:
crazyfrog wrote:
Popeonarope wrote:
A new hospital would be a good legacy Dotty! Far better than a bridge over a duck pond. Maybe the 14k who voted for you and the majority who didn't could work that out and make it happen.
She has no intention of facilitating a new hospital the sooner people realise this the better.
I don't know what you think her responsibilities are, but managing the hospital and the extent of the hospital redevelopment do not fall in her remit.
I happened to bump into the chairman of the west herts trust at a charity event and talked briefly with him. it is all to do with central government funding.

Given she got 14k votes she is clearly keeping a great number of Watford folk happy. Yeah she spends money, but she can't be over spending or our council tax would be rising heavily or our bins would be collected every other week. So cut her some slack!
So what you are saying is that she has nothing to do with getting a new hospital and everything to do with building more houses.
So everyone can agree that Watford needs a new hospital; Watford wants a new hospital; Watford deserves a new hospital but Dotty, as it is not on her remit doesnt care about that, she just want new homes despite the old site redevelopment being a perfect site with its proposed rail links.
Cost is not down to her and could be offset by the redevelopment but she is only interested in building more homes in a already overcrowded town....
And tell me again why LibDem have been slaughtered in the By Elections?
[quote][p][bold]Watfordengineer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]crazyfrog[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Popeonarope[/bold] wrote: A new hospital would be a good legacy Dotty! Far better than a bridge over a duck pond. Maybe the 14k who voted for you and the majority who didn't could work that out and make it happen.[/p][/quote]She has no intention of facilitating a new hospital the sooner people realise this the better.[/p][/quote]I don't know what you think her responsibilities are, but managing the hospital and the extent of the hospital redevelopment do not fall in her remit. I happened to bump into the chairman of the west herts trust at a charity event and talked briefly with him. it is all to do with central government funding. Given she got 14k votes she is clearly keeping a great number of Watford folk happy. Yeah she spends money, but she can't be over spending or our council tax would be rising heavily or our bins would be collected every other week. So cut her some slack![/p][/quote]So what you are saying is that she has nothing to do with getting a new hospital and everything to do with building more houses. So everyone can agree that Watford needs a new hospital; Watford wants a new hospital; Watford deserves a new hospital but Dotty, as it is not on her remit doesnt care about that, she just want new homes despite the old site redevelopment being a perfect site with its proposed rail links. Cost is not down to her and could be offset by the redevelopment but she is only interested in building more homes in a already overcrowded town.... And tell me again why LibDem have been slaughtered in the By Elections? Popeonarope
  • Score: 5

6:59pm Fri 6 Jun 14

#UKMum says...

"I don't know what you think her responsibilities are, but managing the hospital and the extent of the hospital redevelopment do not fall in her remit."

We've heard nothing but 'Health Campus' from Dorothy for the last two years. She only stopped talking 'Health Campus' in WO on the day of the By-Election. She reminds me of that story 'Wide Mouthed Frog'.
"I don't know what you think her responsibilities are, but managing the hospital and the extent of the hospital redevelopment do not fall in her remit." We've heard nothing but 'Health Campus' from Dorothy for the last two years. She only stopped talking 'Health Campus' in WO on the day of the By-Election. She reminds me of that story 'Wide Mouthed Frog'. #UKMum
  • Score: 4

12:49pm Sat 7 Jun 14

Felinefrenzi says...

Yeah right! Believe that when I see it.
Yeah right! Believe that when I see it. Felinefrenzi
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree