A motorcyclist who died in a crash near Radlett last week has been described by his family as being "exuberant in everything he did".

Joe Paul died on Tuesday after his motorbike was in a collision with a black Mercedes SLK close to North Medburn Farm on Watling Street

The family of the 27-year-old have released a tribute to him, in which his mother Lynne, his father Aidan, and his younger brother David, all have fond memories of Joe.

Joe and his family moved to St Albans when he was 16 months old. He attended St. Michael’s Primary School in the town before completing his secondary education at St Albans School.

Following school, Joe took a gap year where he went travelling in the Far East, visiting places including Thailand, and Australia where he went diving.

Joe liked participating in a large range of differing activities, including rock climbing, scuba diving and going to the gym. He also enjoyed watching and attending rugby and football games and he supported Tottenham Hotspur.

After his gap year, Joe was accepted into Leeds University where he studied Mechanical Engineering for four years.

In the 2007/08 session of his degree, Joe was recognised on the Faculty of Engineering’s Dean’s List, a prestigious award that recognises academic excellence and is given to only the top five percent of students.

Of his time at university, Mr Paul said: "We are really proud of all Joe achieved at Leeds; he really excelled at his degree and worked very hard."

During holidays from University, Joe stayed with his parents in St Albans and took on part time work in the Snow and Rock shop in Hemel Hempstead. Joe also temporarily worked at the Three Hammers pub in Watford Road, St Albans.

After completing his degree and achieving a First, Joe was offered a job in London and moved there at the age of 24. Despite this he still travelled to St Albans at least two to three times a week, where he would catch up with his family over a meal.

Employed by Transport for London as an Engineer, Joe was progressing well in his role and he was working towards becoming a chartered engineer. He was due to qualify this autumn.

Joe had a good number of friends, the majority of which had links to St Albans, and he was living in an apartment with a group of friends he had made from school.

His parents said: "We’ve been touched by the comments people have said to us about their memories of Joe and how they described him as a kind and genuine person.

"He was a real live wire and someone who had a real lust for life. He was exuberant in everything he did and we were often telling him he not only burnt the candle at both ends but also the middle."

Mr Paul added: "You could always tell when Joe was home: he had a great sense of humour. We’ve all got so many fantastic memories of him."