Comment: Ex-Tory’s rise to borough cabinet won’t please everyone

Watford Observer: Councillor Steve Johnson Councillor Steve Johnson

The Watford’s Liberal Democrats are a broad church. Among its ranks the ruling party can currently count three former Conservatives leaders and at least one ex-Labour councillor.

It is this ability to attract talent from across the political spectrum that has helped contribute to the party’s success in the town.

And this collegiate approach was on show again last week when Steve Johnson was made the newest member of Mayor Dorothy Thornhill’s cabinet.

The promotion is noteworthy as at the beginning of last year, Councillor Johnson was leader of the Conservative group on the council and one of the mayor’s most acerbic opponents. Among the issues he berated the mayor over was the cost of her office, arguing taxpayers should not have to fund both an expensive mayoral operation and a handsomely remunerated chief executive.

Then in April last year, he defected to the ruling Lib Dem group citing the "right wing drift" of the Conservative party and his admiration for the "good job" the administration was doing running the borough.

It seems this admiration is reciprocated. At this year’s elections Councillor Johnson surfaced as the candidate for the safe Lib Dem Tudor seat, leaving behind his marginal Leggatts seat, which was taken by Labour.

And now, just weeks after securing a comfortable majority, he has ascended into the cabinet and been given the newly-created portfolio for housing.

In 14 months Councillor Johnson has made a rapid transformation from awkward outsider to member of the inner circle.

Mayor Thornhill has justified this expansion of the cabinet (which will mean an extra £9,000 in special responsibility allowances) saying the council has made substantial savings in recent years. The move also signals how pressing the issue of housing is becoming in the town.

Watford’s proximity to London means its house prices are continuing to soar. As a result, people are over-extending their finances in desperate attempts to get onto the housing ladder. It also means rents are also rising, as more people are locked out of home ownership. The effects are being felt all the way down to the borough’s limited and oversubscribed social housing stock.

On the face of it, there is not a huge amount Watford Council can do about the situation. It sold its housing stock to Watford Community Housing Trust in 2007 and its planning committee’s decisions are largely dictated by Government guidelines.

Yet over the last year the council has done some good work scrutinising the performance of the housing trust - becoming a watchdog for social housing tenants in the town. So any extra focus on Watford’s perilously overheated housing market can only be welcomed.

One place where news of Councillor Johnson’s swift ascent will be less welcome is Watford Community Housing Trust’s headquarters in Clarendon Road.

During last year’s scrutiny meetings, Councillor Johnson was a particularly vociferous critic of the trust’s performance. His party piece was telling chief executive Tina Barnard he had timed how long it had taken the trust to answer the phone (more than ten minutes apparently). This was not an exchange the trust’s bosses seemed to enjoy.

Also Councillor Johnson and the trust have previous.

The Tudor representative used to sit on the trust’s board as the council’s representative, but left after a difference of opinion. It will be interesting to see how the trust gets on with Councillor Johnson in his new role as Watford’s cabinet member for housing.

Comments (6)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:59pm Fri 20 Jun 14

Cuetip says...

'theres nowt queerer than folk'.
In a previous life, voraciously attacked the costs of having a mayor and the chief executive office and on a Damasus road to somewhere he had a reincarnation and is keen now to get a slice of hard pressed tax payers’ money.
Changing your clothes or changing parties doesn’t make a better looking and a more balanced human any more than standing in a WCHT garage with your blind mates makes you look like a car.

Come the General Election is he the 'sleeper' to derail the growing influence of Labour and Ukip as the votes show and knock Harrington into the Lords as is usual in Watford?
'theres nowt queerer than folk'. In a previous life, voraciously attacked the costs of having a mayor and the chief executive office and on a Damasus road to somewhere he had a reincarnation and is keen now to get a slice of hard pressed tax payers’ money. Changing your clothes or changing parties doesn’t make a better looking and a more balanced human any more than standing in a WCHT garage with your blind mates makes you look like a car. Come the General Election is he the 'sleeper' to derail the growing influence of Labour and Ukip as the votes show and knock Harrington into the Lords as is usual in Watford? Cuetip
  • Score: 2

6:18pm Fri 20 Jun 14

Andrew1963 says...

I don't see the problem, the Mayor obviously looked at the talent of long standing Lib Dem Cllrs and decide her new recruit was better than them.
I don't see the problem, the Mayor obviously looked at the talent of long standing Lib Dem Cllrs and decide her new recruit was better than them. Andrew1963
  • Score: 0

9:35am Sat 21 Jun 14

AlbansWoodBear says...

There's no heir apparent to Dorothy within the Lib Dem Group so could former Tory Council Group Leader Steve Johnson be the one to take over and stand as Lib Dem Mayor in four years time? Wonder what he'll do about the Mayor's salary, and the expense of the Mayor's office then, having been a major critic before.
There's no heir apparent to Dorothy within the Lib Dem Group so could former Tory Council Group Leader Steve Johnson be the one to take over and stand as Lib Dem Mayor in four years time? Wonder what he'll do about the Mayor's salary, and the expense of the Mayor's office then, having been a major critic before. AlbansWoodBear
  • Score: 2

11:28am Sat 21 Jun 14

Cuetip says...

AlbansWoodBear wrote:
There's no heir apparent to Dorothy within the Lib Dem Group so could former Tory Council Group Leader Steve Johnson be the one to take over and stand as Lib Dem Mayor in four years time? Wonder what he'll do about the Mayor's salary, and the expense of the Mayor's office then, having been a major critic before.
People will do anything for a bit of power which kicks justice out of the window as these people still walk amongst us as they regard everyone as fools.

To the chancellor of the German Reich, Herr A. Hitler.
I thank you for your letter. I hope that the German-Soviet Nonaggression Pact will mark a decisive turn for the better in the political relations between our two countries.
J. Stalin
[quote][p][bold]AlbansWoodBear[/bold] wrote: There's no heir apparent to Dorothy within the Lib Dem Group so could former Tory Council Group Leader Steve Johnson be the one to take over and stand as Lib Dem Mayor in four years time? Wonder what he'll do about the Mayor's salary, and the expense of the Mayor's office then, having been a major critic before.[/p][/quote]People will do anything for a bit of power which kicks justice out of the window as these people still walk amongst us as they regard everyone as fools. To the chancellor of the German Reich, Herr A. Hitler. I thank you for your letter. I hope that the German-Soviet Nonaggression Pact will mark a decisive turn for the better in the political relations between our two countries. J. Stalin Cuetip
  • Score: 0

5:16pm Sat 21 Jun 14

audentior01923 says...

Cuetip wrote:
AlbansWoodBear wrote:
There's no heir apparent to Dorothy within the Lib Dem Group so could former Tory Council Group Leader Steve Johnson be the one to take over and stand as Lib Dem Mayor in four years time? Wonder what he'll do about the Mayor's salary, and the expense of the Mayor's office then, having been a major critic before.
People will do anything for a bit of power which kicks justice out of the window as these people still walk amongst us as they regard everyone as fools.

To the chancellor of the German Reich, Herr A. Hitler.
I thank you for your letter. I hope that the German-Soviet Nonaggression Pact will mark a decisive turn for the better in the political relations between our two countries.
J. Stalin
Malcolm

Don't you think this comment is a little sick and disturbing to make such a comparison ?
[quote][p][bold]Cuetip[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AlbansWoodBear[/bold] wrote: There's no heir apparent to Dorothy within the Lib Dem Group so could former Tory Council Group Leader Steve Johnson be the one to take over and stand as Lib Dem Mayor in four years time? Wonder what he'll do about the Mayor's salary, and the expense of the Mayor's office then, having been a major critic before.[/p][/quote]People will do anything for a bit of power which kicks justice out of the window as these people still walk amongst us as they regard everyone as fools. To the chancellor of the German Reich, Herr A. Hitler. I thank you for your letter. I hope that the German-Soviet Nonaggression Pact will mark a decisive turn for the better in the political relations between our two countries. J. Stalin[/p][/quote]Malcolm Don't you think this comment is a little sick and disturbing to make such a comparison ? audentior01923
  • Score: 0

7:34pm Sat 21 Jun 14

Cuetip says...

audentior01923 wrote:
Cuetip wrote:
AlbansWoodBear wrote:
There's no heir apparent to Dorothy within the Lib Dem Group so could former Tory Council Group Leader Steve Johnson be the one to take over and stand as Lib Dem Mayor in four years time? Wonder what he'll do about the Mayor's salary, and the expense of the Mayor's office then, having been a major critic before.
People will do anything for a bit of power which kicks justice out of the window as these people still walk amongst us as they regard everyone as fools.

To the chancellor of the German Reich, Herr A. Hitler.
I thank you for your letter. I hope that the German-Soviet Nonaggression Pact will mark a decisive turn for the better in the political relations between our two countries.
J. Stalin
Malcolm

Don't you think this comment is a little sick and disturbing to make such a comparison ?
The problem with you is that you are so prejudiced that you have developed a squint. I would like say your usual monosyllabic comment is truly admirable but you lost the plot years ago as shown by your blind allegiance to this chap who made the Wat Con Assoc look like old fools as his fellow conniving conspirators followed him. When are you going to join him or he has invited you ?

There are all sorts of equality courses available which may help to correct your distorted view of others but in your case your ageing biased eyes are beyond correction.

It's no wonder that injustice persists. Imagine the disgusting plotting that operates on the world stage and this is just local and I hope you understand why conspriracy theories persist about the killing of those who fight for truth and justice eg Dr David Kelly Martin Luther King.
[quote][p][bold]audentior01923[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cuetip[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AlbansWoodBear[/bold] wrote: There's no heir apparent to Dorothy within the Lib Dem Group so could former Tory Council Group Leader Steve Johnson be the one to take over and stand as Lib Dem Mayor in four years time? Wonder what he'll do about the Mayor's salary, and the expense of the Mayor's office then, having been a major critic before.[/p][/quote]People will do anything for a bit of power which kicks justice out of the window as these people still walk amongst us as they regard everyone as fools. To the chancellor of the German Reich, Herr A. Hitler. I thank you for your letter. I hope that the German-Soviet Nonaggression Pact will mark a decisive turn for the better in the political relations between our two countries. J. Stalin[/p][/quote]Malcolm Don't you think this comment is a little sick and disturbing to make such a comparison ?[/p][/quote]The problem with you is that you are so prejudiced that you have developed a squint. I would like say your usual monosyllabic comment is truly admirable but you lost the plot years ago as shown by your blind allegiance to this chap who made the Wat Con Assoc look like old fools as his fellow conniving conspirators followed him. When are you going to join him or he has invited you ? There are all sorts of equality courses available which may help to correct your distorted view of others but in your case your ageing biased eyes are beyond correction. It's no wonder that injustice persists. Imagine the disgusting plotting that operates on the world stage and this is just local and I hope you understand why conspriracy theories persist about the killing of those who fight for truth and justice eg Dr David Kelly Martin Luther King. Cuetip
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree