Watford man cleared of breaching restraining order after resuming relationship with ex-girlfriend (From Watford Observer)
Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting WO to 80360, or upload here
Watford man cleared of breaching restraining order after resuming relationship with ex-girlfriend
A Watford man found himself in court after resuming a relationship with an ex-girlfriend who had taken out a restraining order against him.
Jamie McCarville, 33, thought the order had been discharged when he began sleeping with his former partner Stephanie Betts again.
The pair had got back in touch within three months of the non-molestation order being granted against Mr McCarville in 2012.
The order meant he was not supposed to communicate with or go within 50 metres of her home.
However police discovered McCarville at Ms Betts's address in January last year after being called to a "scene" at in which he threatened to kill her and kill himself.
On Thursday a jury at St Albans crown court found McCarville, not guilty of breaching the order after hearing the couple had resumed their relationship.
Prosecutor Simon Blackford said that in 21 August 2012 Ms Betts took out a non-molestation order against Mr McCarville at Watford County Court. It meant that until 15 July 2013 he could not communicate with her or go within 50 metres of her home in north Watford.
In the autumn of 2012 the couple began a relationship again. He said Mr McCarville visited her home and they began a sexual relationship again.
When interviewed Mr McCarville was "quite open" about what was happening.
"He said she told him the order had been discharged and that she had invited him to go to the house. He said she had been a willing participant. He said he did not realise he was breaching the order," said Mr Blackford.
The jury cleared Mr McCarville of Queens Gate, Lord Street, Watford denies four charges of breaching a non-molestation order.
Judge Andrew Bright QC ordered that his legal costs should be paid from central funds.