Young couple to start year long adventure working in West Africa

Young couple to start year long adventure working in West Africa

Young couple to start year long adventure working in West Africa

First published in News by

A young couple set off for America on Friday last week on the first stage of a year-long adventure working in the West African republic of Benin.

Etienne and Carolyn Guenin, members of Stanborough Park Seventh-day Adventist Church in Garston, celebrated their first wedding anniversary in April but felt that before settling down they would like to spend a year sharing their faith and helping others less fortunate than themselves.

Etienne said: "Not long after we got engaged I expressed my willingness to work as a missionary in a foreign country. Before I'd finished my sentence Carolyn's eyes lit up even more than usual. I knew she was excited and willing to serve God through overseas mission work. It was such a good feeling to be on the same wavelength."

Etienne and Carolyn's mother are both native French speakers so the couple were keen to go to a French-speaking country in Africa but found it hard to find something suitable.

Their luck changed while sorting through the post in her job as a personal assistant when Carolyn discovered a magazine leading her to the "Adventist Frontier Missions" website where she found a vacancy for a volunteer who would be able to teach English/IT as part of a project in Benin.

Benin is a West African country with a population of approximately 10 million and it is surrounded by Togo, Nigeria, Burkina Faso and Niger. This particular project is situated in Kandi in the north-eastern area of the country which is populated by the Dendi people who form approximately 2.5 per cent of the total population.

Kandi is a built-up town and trading centre situated where major routes from all the surrounding countries meet.

Etienne has extensive experience working in IT and Carolyn was keen to return to teaching so they applied for the post and were delighted to be accepted.

However, before they could set off they needed to raise £12,500 to cover their living and travel costs for the year as well as funding some aspects of the project and a month of initial training in America. This resulted in a concerted effort by both of them to raise the necessary money to accomplish their mission. By the end of June they had been achieved this through donations from sympathetic friends, relatives and fellow church members as well as activities such as running the Bristol Marathon with friends in May which raised £1,200.

Carolyn said: "We're very excited to be going on this great adventure, to live in another culture and experience a more simple life in Africa.

"We will rent a house in Kandi and live among the Dendi community.The Dendi people speak basic French but Dendi is their main language and we will have to learn it.

"I will be teaching English to secondary school students in two or three schools. Etienne will be helping to develop a business centre/internet cafe that the local pastor's wife has established.

"At least part of the work we will be doing in Benin involves education and we hope that we can open doors to help the Dendi people live less impoverished lives."

However, the mission is not without its dangers. Carolyn continued "We have heard stories from the pastor there about how his family has personally been attacked by spiritual forces and how they were driven out of their home once and attacked by bandits of another occasion."

Comments (23)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:42pm Thu 17 Jul 14

Popeonarope says...

Just send the the £12,500 and stay at home. It will be appreciated without the hidden agenda.
The education comes at a price that needs to be explained to those who receive it - One sided, biased and full of 'spiritual' nonsense.
Just send the the £12,500 and stay at home. It will be appreciated without the hidden agenda. The education comes at a price that needs to be explained to those who receive it - One sided, biased and full of 'spiritual' nonsense. Popeonarope
  • Score: 2

7:30am Fri 18 Jul 14

bishopofwatford says...

Oh no here we go again when are religious zealots going to realise that
Just because "their god " is telling them to do this , do these people ever think of the serious long term traumas caused by interfering busybodies
Have on their history,lives,cultur
e and personal interactions.

This is just wrong look back in history how many innocents have been killed by missionaries spreading western diseases to peoples unequipped
Genetically to fight them.

Go back to your little church and keep your god to yoursellves!
Oh no here we go again when are religious zealots going to realise that Just because "their god " is telling them to do this , do these people ever think of the serious long term traumas caused by interfering busybodies Have on their history,lives,cultur e and personal interactions. This is just wrong look back in history how many innocents have been killed by missionaries spreading western diseases to peoples unequipped Genetically to fight them. Go back to your little church and keep your god to yoursellves! bishopofwatford
  • Score: 1

10:10am Fri 18 Jul 14

Nat On The Field says...

Wow, you both clearly haven't heard the phrase "if you can't say something nice, don't say it at all"

Good luck to Etienne and Carolyn.
Wow, you both clearly haven't heard the phrase "if you can't say something nice, don't say it at all" Good luck to Etienne and Carolyn. Nat On The Field
  • Score: -6

10:55am Fri 18 Jul 14

garston tony says...

Pope and bishop you have every right to not believe in God, however the more you attack those that do the more you look sad and pathetic.

Here are two young people who are giving up a year of their time to go somewhere that is not necessarily safe to try and help people who are some of the poorest people in the world and you have to make your nasty bigoted blinkered baseless comments. This is a new low even by your basement standards.

If the young couple are reading these comments ignore those two posters, they are wrong in everything they say. You are doing a wonderful thing, you obviously have the support of a lot of friends and family who all know (as will the vast majority of people reading this) that you will be making a huge difference to the lives of those that you meet out there. I echo Nat on the field, good luck to you both
Pope and bishop you have every right to not believe in God, however the more you attack those that do the more you look sad and pathetic. Here are two young people who are giving up a year of their time to go somewhere that is not necessarily safe to try and help people who are some of the poorest people in the world and you have to make your nasty bigoted blinkered baseless comments. This is a new low even by your basement standards. If the young couple are reading these comments ignore those two posters, they are wrong in everything they say. You are doing a wonderful thing, you obviously have the support of a lot of friends and family who all know (as will the vast majority of people reading this) that you will be making a huge difference to the lives of those that you meet out there. I echo Nat on the field, good luck to you both garston tony
  • Score: -3

11:01am Fri 18 Jul 14

garston tony says...

Sorry to comment on a wider context but this couple are a great example of what a faith can bring to peoples lives.

Pope and bishop on the other hand appear to want to present themselves as being right, and proper, atheists.

So on the one hand a couple with a faith going to help some of the poorest people in the world and on the other hand a couple of non believers who choose to be nasty and vitriolic to the former. Says so much doesnt it
Sorry to comment on a wider context but this couple are a great example of what a faith can bring to peoples lives. Pope and bishop on the other hand appear to want to present themselves as being right, and proper, atheists. So on the one hand a couple with a faith going to help some of the poorest people in the world and on the other hand a couple of non believers who choose to be nasty and vitriolic to the former. Says so much doesnt it garston tony
  • Score: -4

11:21am Fri 18 Jul 14

Andrew Turpie says...

Usually the same people who are nasty and vitriolic on here. I am just glad we brought our son up to be tolerant and respectful to both those who follow a faith or choose not to.

Life's too short to bully and insult people on the internet.
Usually the same people who are nasty and vitriolic on here. I am just glad we brought our son up to be tolerant and respectful to both those who follow a faith or choose not to. Life's too short to bully and insult people on the internet. Andrew Turpie
  • Score: -1

11:56am Fri 18 Jul 14

bishopofwatford says...

garston tony wrote:
Sorry to comment on a wider context but this couple are a great example of what a faith can bring to peoples lives.

Pope and bishop on the other hand appear to want to present themselves as being right, and proper, atheists.

So on the one hand a couple with a faith going to help some of the poorest people in the world and on the other hand a couple of non believers who choose to be nasty and vitriolic to the former. Says so much doesnt it
Well well hornets nest......who says i dont help the needy ?

Do i need a label or crutch in life to be spiritual?

You zealots confuse belonging to a cosy little clique with being spiritual.

Wake up and smell the coffee ....look at all those wars fought in the name of one religion against another......they are still happening today.

Wise up and open those blinkered eyes!
[quote][p][bold]garston tony[/bold] wrote: Sorry to comment on a wider context but this couple are a great example of what a faith can bring to peoples lives. Pope and bishop on the other hand appear to want to present themselves as being right, and proper, atheists. So on the one hand a couple with a faith going to help some of the poorest people in the world and on the other hand a couple of non believers who choose to be nasty and vitriolic to the former. Says so much doesnt it[/p][/quote]Well well hornets nest......who says i dont help the needy ? Do i need a label or crutch in life to be spiritual? You zealots confuse belonging to a cosy little clique with being spiritual. Wake up and smell the coffee ....look at all those wars fought in the name of one religion against another......they are still happening today. Wise up and open those blinkered eyes! bishopofwatford
  • Score: -4

1:18pm Fri 18 Jul 14

Popeonarope says...

garston tony wrote:
Pope and bishop you have every right to not believe in God, however the more you attack those that do the more you look sad and pathetic. Here are two young people who are giving up a year of their time to go somewhere that is not necessarily safe to try and help people who are some of the poorest people in the world and you have to make your nasty bigoted blinkered baseless comments. This is a new low even by your basement standards. If the young couple are reading these comments ignore those two posters, they are wrong in everything they say. You are doing a wonderful thing, you obviously have the support of a lot of friends and family who all know (as will the vast majority of people reading this) that you will be making a huge difference to the lives of those that you meet out there. I echo Nat on the field, good luck to you both
You say help, i say interfering and indocrintating.

By all means go and help the desperate and uneducated but doing so in order to get your religeous hooks into the vulnerable is a tried and tested trick of the churches.
Africa does not need more religious indoctrination; it has enough tribalism and religous conflicts without adding to it.

Baseless? South America, North America, Africa, Greenland etc. All these places that missionaries went paid a very high price both culturally and in population decline as a direct result of the tactics imployed by these individuals.

Im sure the couple mean well but they are part of an organisation that has caused untold suffering on the continent they are visiting.
[quote][p][bold]garston tony[/bold] wrote: Pope and bishop you have every right to not believe in God, however the more you attack those that do the more you look sad and pathetic. Here are two young people who are giving up a year of their time to go somewhere that is not necessarily safe to try and help people who are some of the poorest people in the world and you have to make your nasty bigoted blinkered baseless comments. This is a new low even by your basement standards. If the young couple are reading these comments ignore those two posters, they are wrong in everything they say. You are doing a wonderful thing, you obviously have the support of a lot of friends and family who all know (as will the vast majority of people reading this) that you will be making a huge difference to the lives of those that you meet out there. I echo Nat on the field, good luck to you both[/p][/quote]You say help, i say interfering and indocrintating. By all means go and help the desperate and uneducated but doing so in order to get your religeous hooks into the vulnerable is a tried and tested trick of the churches. Africa does not need more religious indoctrination; it has enough tribalism and religous conflicts without adding to it. Baseless? South America, North America, Africa, Greenland etc. All these places that missionaries went paid a very high price both culturally and in population decline as a direct result of the tactics imployed by these individuals. Im sure the couple mean well but they are part of an organisation that has caused untold suffering on the continent they are visiting. Popeonarope
  • Score: 6

1:26pm Fri 18 Jul 14

Popeonarope says...

garston tony wrote:
Sorry to comment on a wider context but this couple are a great example of what a faith can bring to peoples lives. Pope and bishop on the other hand appear to want to present themselves as being right, and proper, atheists. So on the one hand a couple with a faith going to help some of the poorest people in the world and on the other hand a couple of non believers who choose to be nasty and vitriolic to the former. Says so much doesnt it
I have built wells and pump systems in Bangldesh - i didnt try and exploit the locals desperation by belittling thier culture or faiths - i found the whole experience tough, but felt good that i had help fellow humans by improving thier lot a little.

The hidden agenda of the missionaries by targeting the vulnerable dilutes any benificial work they do as it is not the real reason they are there.

You consider me to be nasty and vitriolic because i raise the issues of the subversive nature of the faithful. I disagree with the description, but least you havent resorted to the race card... yet.
[quote][p][bold]garston tony[/bold] wrote: Sorry to comment on a wider context but this couple are a great example of what a faith can bring to peoples lives. Pope and bishop on the other hand appear to want to present themselves as being right, and proper, atheists. So on the one hand a couple with a faith going to help some of the poorest people in the world and on the other hand a couple of non believers who choose to be nasty and vitriolic to the former. Says so much doesnt it[/p][/quote]I have built wells and pump systems in Bangldesh - i didnt try and exploit the locals desperation by belittling thier culture or faiths - i found the whole experience tough, but felt good that i had help fellow humans by improving thier lot a little. The hidden agenda of the missionaries by targeting the vulnerable dilutes any benificial work they do as it is not the real reason they are there. You consider me to be nasty and vitriolic because i raise the issues of the subversive nature of the faithful. I disagree with the description, but least you havent resorted to the race card... yet. Popeonarope
  • Score: 6

2:43pm Fri 18 Jul 14

garston tony says...

You're showing once again how little you know about something you hate so much. Hatred out of ignorance is pathetic.

All I need to do is point out once again, two young people going to help those in poverty v. the hate filled comments of two ignorant people.

Pope and bishop you lose everytime.
You're showing once again how little you know about something you hate so much. Hatred out of ignorance is pathetic. All I need to do is point out once again, two young people going to help those in poverty v. the hate filled comments of two ignorant people. Pope and bishop you lose everytime. garston tony
  • Score: -4

2:45pm Fri 18 Jul 14

garston tony says...

Pope, what race card? I'd point out that you're the one acting like if an African chooses to believe somethings its because the 'white man' forced him to. How colonial are you?! They have their own minds and can make their own choices you know
Pope, what race card? I'd point out that you're the one acting like if an African chooses to believe somethings its because the 'white man' forced him to. How colonial are you?! They have their own minds and can make their own choices you know garston tony
  • Score: -4

2:57pm Fri 18 Jul 14

garston tony says...

Lets get this straight, i've done aid and development work (mostly in Afrida but in Asia too) for decades now. Not once have I seen any NGO say you must listen to or accept or take on our beliefs or we wont help you. NOT ONCE.

NOT ONCE have i seen aid witheld or not offered because someone was of a differing belief from the giver. NOT ONCE

And NOT ONCE have I seen a Christian NGO (and theres plently of them) hold an evangelical campaign.

I've been places where the NGO's were not even allowed to say they were Christian publicly where they still went and helped people how they could because their goal is not to convert anyone but simply to help

Bish and Pop you simply and quite obviously dont know what you're talking about
Lets get this straight, i've done aid and development work (mostly in Afrida but in Asia too) for decades now. Not once have I seen any NGO say you must listen to or accept or take on our beliefs or we wont help you. NOT ONCE. NOT ONCE have i seen aid witheld or not offered because someone was of a differing belief from the giver. NOT ONCE And NOT ONCE have I seen a Christian NGO (and theres plently of them) hold an evangelical campaign. I've been places where the NGO's were not even allowed to say they were Christian publicly where they still went and helped people how they could because their goal is not to convert anyone but simply to help Bish and Pop you simply and quite obviously dont know what you're talking about garston tony
  • Score: -2

4:26pm Fri 18 Jul 14

Popeonarope says...

garston tony wrote:
Lets get this straight, i've done aid and development work (mostly in Afrida but in Asia too) for decades now. Not once have I seen any NGO say you must listen to or accept or take on our beliefs or we wont help you. NOT ONCE.

NOT ONCE have i seen aid witheld or not offered because someone was of a differing belief from the giver. NOT ONCE

And NOT ONCE have I seen a Christian NGO (and theres plently of them) hold an evangelical campaign.

I've been places where the NGO's were not even allowed to say they were Christian publicly where they still went and helped people how they could because their goal is not to convert anyone but simply to help

Bish and Pop you simply and quite obviously dont know what you're talking about
That would drive people away and be counter productive.

Are you that naive that you think missionaries are not there to promote the churches? Picking on the deprived, vulnerable and uneducated is so blatant it doesn't require explanation.

Its perfectly possible to do charity work without 'spreading the word' but it always seems to go with the work done. Weird!


You seem to have a difficulty on differentiating between race and religion in other posts. I was expecting to be called a racist for criticizing a french couple but you went for Africans... strange that.
[quote][p][bold]garston tony[/bold] wrote: Lets get this straight, i've done aid and development work (mostly in Afrida but in Asia too) for decades now. Not once have I seen any NGO say you must listen to or accept or take on our beliefs or we wont help you. NOT ONCE. NOT ONCE have i seen aid witheld or not offered because someone was of a differing belief from the giver. NOT ONCE And NOT ONCE have I seen a Christian NGO (and theres plently of them) hold an evangelical campaign. I've been places where the NGO's were not even allowed to say they were Christian publicly where they still went and helped people how they could because their goal is not to convert anyone but simply to help Bish and Pop you simply and quite obviously dont know what you're talking about[/p][/quote]That would drive people away and be counter productive. Are you that naive that you think missionaries are not there to promote the churches? Picking on the deprived, vulnerable and uneducated is so blatant it doesn't require explanation. Its perfectly possible to do charity work without 'spreading the word' but it always seems to go with the work done. Weird! You seem to have a difficulty on differentiating between race and religion in other posts. I was expecting to be called a racist for criticizing a french couple but you went for Africans... strange that. Popeonarope
  • Score: 6

4:46pm Fri 18 Jul 14

bishopofwatford says...

Andrew Turpie wrote:
Usually the same people who are nasty and vitriolic on here. I am just glad we brought our son up to be tolerant and respectful to both those who follow a faith or choose not to.

Life's too short to bully and insult people on the internet.
Since when is questioning insulting.....only if u dont like the questions of corse!
[quote][p][bold]Andrew Turpie[/bold] wrote: Usually the same people who are nasty and vitriolic on here. I am just glad we brought our son up to be tolerant and respectful to both those who follow a faith or choose not to. Life's too short to bully and insult people on the internet.[/p][/quote]Since when is questioning insulting.....only if u dont like the questions of corse! bishopofwatford
  • Score: 2

4:51pm Fri 18 Jul 14

bishopofwatford says...

bishopofwatford wrote:
Andrew Turpie wrote:
Usually the same people who are nasty and vitriolic on here. I am just glad we brought our son up to be tolerant and respectful to both those who follow a faith or choose not to.

Life's too short to bully and insult people on the internet.
Since when is questioning insulting.....only if u dont like the questions of corse!
Mind you some of the answers can be even more alarming ....most religions do not encourage the questioning of its elders ...very convenient
Anyone who dares do so is usally personna non grata.
[quote][p][bold]bishopofwatford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andrew Turpie[/bold] wrote: Usually the same people who are nasty and vitriolic on here. I am just glad we brought our son up to be tolerant and respectful to both those who follow a faith or choose not to. Life's too short to bully and insult people on the internet.[/p][/quote]Since when is questioning insulting.....only if u dont like the questions of corse![/p][/quote]Mind you some of the answers can be even more alarming ....most religions do not encourage the questioning of its elders ...very convenient Anyone who dares do so is usally personna non grata. bishopofwatford
  • Score: 3

11:17am Mon 21 Jul 14

garston tony says...

Popeonarope wrote:
garston tony wrote: Lets get this straight, i've done aid and development work (mostly in Afrida but in Asia too) for decades now. Not once have I seen any NGO say you must listen to or accept or take on our beliefs or we wont help you. NOT ONCE. NOT ONCE have i seen aid witheld or not offered because someone was of a differing belief from the giver. NOT ONCE And NOT ONCE have I seen a Christian NGO (and theres plently of them) hold an evangelical campaign. I've been places where the NGO's were not even allowed to say they were Christian publicly where they still went and helped people how they could because their goal is not to convert anyone but simply to help Bish and Pop you simply and quite obviously dont know what you're talking about
That would drive people away and be counter productive. Are you that naive that you think missionaries are not there to promote the churches? Picking on the deprived, vulnerable and uneducated is so blatant it doesn't require explanation. Its perfectly possible to do charity work without 'spreading the word' but it always seems to go with the work done. Weird! You seem to have a difficulty on differentiating between race and religion in other posts. I was expecting to be called a racist for criticizing a french couple but you went for Africans... strange that.
As I pointed out it DOESNT always go with the work, but even when it does in a missionary style setting rather than an aid setting you're still acting like the locals are too dumb to make their own minds up.

Oh and by the way, where does it say they are French? Nowhere! It does say that he speaks French and that her mother is a native French speaker but there are dozens of countries where French is the official language and more where it is a common language. He could be Canadian and her mother could be Swiss for all we know.

No suprise you just jumped to a conclusion, no wonder no one got what you were referring to.
[quote][p][bold]Popeonarope[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]garston tony[/bold] wrote: Lets get this straight, i've done aid and development work (mostly in Afrida but in Asia too) for decades now. Not once have I seen any NGO say you must listen to or accept or take on our beliefs or we wont help you. NOT ONCE. NOT ONCE have i seen aid witheld or not offered because someone was of a differing belief from the giver. NOT ONCE And NOT ONCE have I seen a Christian NGO (and theres plently of them) hold an evangelical campaign. I've been places where the NGO's were not even allowed to say they were Christian publicly where they still went and helped people how they could because their goal is not to convert anyone but simply to help Bish and Pop you simply and quite obviously dont know what you're talking about[/p][/quote]That would drive people away and be counter productive. Are you that naive that you think missionaries are not there to promote the churches? Picking on the deprived, vulnerable and uneducated is so blatant it doesn't require explanation. Its perfectly possible to do charity work without 'spreading the word' but it always seems to go with the work done. Weird! You seem to have a difficulty on differentiating between race and religion in other posts. I was expecting to be called a racist for criticizing a french couple but you went for Africans... strange that.[/p][/quote]As I pointed out it DOESNT always go with the work, but even when it does in a missionary style setting rather than an aid setting you're still acting like the locals are too dumb to make their own minds up. Oh and by the way, where does it say they are French? Nowhere! It does say that he speaks French and that her mother is a native French speaker but there are dozens of countries where French is the official language and more where it is a common language. He could be Canadian and her mother could be Swiss for all we know. No suprise you just jumped to a conclusion, no wonder no one got what you were referring to. garston tony
  • Score: 0

11:19am Mon 21 Jul 14

garston tony says...

bishopofwatford wrote:
bishopofwatford wrote:
Andrew Turpie wrote: Usually the same people who are nasty and vitriolic on here. I am just glad we brought our son up to be tolerant and respectful to both those who follow a faith or choose not to. Life's too short to bully and insult people on the internet.
Since when is questioning insulting.....only if u dont like the questions of corse!
Mind you some of the answers can be even more alarming ....most religions do not encourage the questioning of its elders ...very convenient Anyone who dares do so is usally personna non grata.
Wow, how do you get anything done in your life? I mean to know that most religion dont encourage the questioning of elders you must have dedicated your life to research.

Or of course you could just be plucking that idea out of thin air like usual.
[quote][p][bold]bishopofwatford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bishopofwatford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andrew Turpie[/bold] wrote: Usually the same people who are nasty and vitriolic on here. I am just glad we brought our son up to be tolerant and respectful to both those who follow a faith or choose not to. Life's too short to bully and insult people on the internet.[/p][/quote]Since when is questioning insulting.....only if u dont like the questions of corse![/p][/quote]Mind you some of the answers can be even more alarming ....most religions do not encourage the questioning of its elders ...very convenient Anyone who dares do so is usally personna non grata.[/p][/quote]Wow, how do you get anything done in your life? I mean to know that most religion dont encourage the questioning of elders you must have dedicated your life to research. Or of course you could just be plucking that idea out of thin air like usual. garston tony
  • Score: 2

11:21am Mon 21 Jul 14

bishopofwatford says...

Andrew Turpie wrote:
Usually the same people who are nasty and vitriolic on here. I am just glad we brought our son up to be tolerant and respectful to both those who follow a faith or choose not to.

Life's too short to bully and insult people on the internet.
No insult....surely questioning is allowed in your faith? If not ,why not?
[quote][p][bold]Andrew Turpie[/bold] wrote: Usually the same people who are nasty and vitriolic on here. I am just glad we brought our son up to be tolerant and respectful to both those who follow a faith or choose not to. Life's too short to bully and insult people on the internet.[/p][/quote]No insult....surely questioning is allowed in your faith? If not ,why not? bishopofwatford
  • Score: 0

11:30am Mon 21 Jul 14

bishopofwatford says...

garston tony wrote:
bishopofwatford wrote:
bishopofwatford wrote:
Andrew Turpie wrote: Usually the same people who are nasty and vitriolic on here. I am just glad we brought our son up to be tolerant and respectful to both those who follow a faith or choose not to. Life's too short to bully and insult people on the internet.
Since when is questioning insulting.....only if u dont like the questions of corse!
Mind you some of the answers can be even more alarming ....most religions do not encourage the questioning of its elders ...very convenient Anyone who dares do so is usally personna non grata.
Wow, how do you get anything done in your life? I mean to know that most religion dont encourage the questioning of elders you must have dedicated your life to research.

Or of course you could just be plucking that idea out of thin air like usual.
As a matter of fact i have studied numerous religions and the heirachies,
you might call it my hobby. I dont know how much you know about faiths other than yours? So i suggest to get a broader view of life rather than the narrow one your faith advocates would greatly improve understanding you will gain about most if not all systems of keeping populations obedient to their priests/elders. After all we mustnt upset the status quo , must we?
[quote][p][bold]garston tony[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bishopofwatford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bishopofwatford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andrew Turpie[/bold] wrote: Usually the same people who are nasty and vitriolic on here. I am just glad we brought our son up to be tolerant and respectful to both those who follow a faith or choose not to. Life's too short to bully and insult people on the internet.[/p][/quote]Since when is questioning insulting.....only if u dont like the questions of corse![/p][/quote]Mind you some of the answers can be even more alarming ....most religions do not encourage the questioning of its elders ...very convenient Anyone who dares do so is usally personna non grata.[/p][/quote]Wow, how do you get anything done in your life? I mean to know that most religion dont encourage the questioning of elders you must have dedicated your life to research. Or of course you could just be plucking that idea out of thin air like usual.[/p][/quote]As a matter of fact i have studied numerous religions and the heirachies, you might call it my hobby. I dont know how much you know about faiths other than yours? So i suggest to get a broader view of life rather than the narrow one your faith advocates would greatly improve understanding you will gain about most if not all systems of keeping populations obedient to their priests/elders. After all we mustnt upset the status quo , must we? bishopofwatford
  • Score: -1

1:54pm Mon 21 Jul 14

LSC says...

I'm sure you all know where I stand on this. Helping the needy, the uneducated and the vulnerable is always admirable. But lying to them about magic pixies isn't actually helping them.
The article makes it quite clear that 'sharing their faith' is an important part of this exercise.
These people don't need someone to teach them to look to the sky and pray for water, they need someone who knows how to dig a well.
I'm sure you all know where I stand on this. Helping the needy, the uneducated and the vulnerable is always admirable. But lying to them about magic pixies isn't actually helping them. The article makes it quite clear that 'sharing their faith' is an important part of this exercise. These people don't need someone to teach them to look to the sky and pray for water, they need someone who knows how to dig a well. LSC
  • Score: 4

9:40pm Wed 13 Aug 14

Third Planet says...

As Bible-believing Christians, this young couple is simply fulfilling their duty toward God by feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and sharing the good news that there is a God who loves them. This is, after all, the final question Jesus asks of all of us when he returns. Did we do these things? Did we take care of those who needed our help? If so, we have honored God and “done it unto him.” A couple of you gentlemen are living out the same faith unawares by digging the wells, etc., and that is to be commended. You are, in essence, taking care of your neighbor in need. Therefore, we should even more commend those (like this couple) who do this knowingly serving God.

While it is true that many atrocities have been committed in the name of religion, it is also true that, likewise, even more atrocities have been committed by those who have rejected anything at all to do with God. History bears this out (head hunters, child sacrifices, extermination, murders, wars, and much more). The fact is that there are good people and bad people in every walk of life, church or no church.

Those who are bound by love and service to others are the true Christians, whether in name or not.
As Bible-believing Christians, this young couple is simply fulfilling their duty toward God by feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and sharing the good news that there is a God who loves them. This is, after all, the final question Jesus asks of all of us when he returns. Did we do these things? Did we take care of those who needed our help? If so, we have honored God and “done it unto him.” A couple of you gentlemen are living out the same faith unawares by digging the wells, etc., and that is to be commended. You are, in essence, taking care of your neighbor in need. Therefore, we should even more commend those (like this couple) who do this knowingly serving God. While it is true that many atrocities have been committed in the name of religion, it is also true that, likewise, even more atrocities have been committed by those who have rejected anything at all to do with God. History bears this out (head hunters, child sacrifices, extermination, murders, wars, and much more). The fact is that there are good people and bad people in every walk of life, church or no church. Those who are bound by love and service to others are the true Christians, whether in name or not. Third Planet
  • Score: 1

10:57pm Wed 13 Aug 14

Popeonarope says...

Third Planet wrote:
As Bible-believing Christians, this young couple is simply fulfilling their duty toward God by feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and sharing the good news that there is a God who loves them. This is, after all, the final question Jesus asks of all of us when he returns. Did we do these things? Did we take care of those who needed our help? If so, we have honored God and “done it unto him.” A couple of you gentlemen are living out the same faith unawares by digging the wells, etc., and that is to be commended. You are, in essence, taking care of your neighbor in need. Therefore, we should even more commend those (like this couple) who do this knowingly serving God.

While it is true that many atrocities have been committed in the name of religion, it is also true that, likewise, even more atrocities have been committed by those who have rejected anything at all to do with God. History bears this out (head hunters, child sacrifices, extermination, murders, wars, and much more). The fact is that there are good people and bad people in every walk of life, church or no church.

Those who are bound by love and service to others are the true Christians, whether in name or not.
I would take issue that "even more atrocities have been committed by those who have rejected anything at all to do with God." Which pale into the background when compared to the horrors in the Old Testament. Religious wars are historic and current and will continue to kill millions needlessly until everyone works out that god is man made, which absolutely explains why there are / were so many gods.
[quote][p][bold]Third Planet[/bold] wrote: As Bible-believing Christians, this young couple is simply fulfilling their duty toward God by feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and sharing the good news that there is a God who loves them. This is, after all, the final question Jesus asks of all of us when he returns. Did we do these things? Did we take care of those who needed our help? If so, we have honored God and “done it unto him.” A couple of you gentlemen are living out the same faith unawares by digging the wells, etc., and that is to be commended. You are, in essence, taking care of your neighbor in need. Therefore, we should even more commend those (like this couple) who do this knowingly serving God. While it is true that many atrocities have been committed in the name of religion, it is also true that, likewise, even more atrocities have been committed by those who have rejected anything at all to do with God. History bears this out (head hunters, child sacrifices, extermination, murders, wars, and much more). The fact is that there are good people and bad people in every walk of life, church or no church. Those who are bound by love and service to others are the true Christians, whether in name or not.[/p][/quote]I would take issue that "even more atrocities have been committed by those who have rejected anything at all to do with God." Which pale into the background when compared to the horrors in the Old Testament. Religious wars are historic and current and will continue to kill millions needlessly until everyone works out that god is man made, which absolutely explains why there are / were so many gods. Popeonarope
  • Score: 3

4:26am Fri 15 Aug 14

Third Planet says...

Popeonarope wrote:
I would take issue that "even more atrocities have been committed by those who have rejected anything at all to do with God." Which pale into the background when compared to the horrors in the Old Testament. Religious wars are historic and current and will continue to kill millions needlessly until everyone works out that god is man made, which absolutely explains why there are / were so many gods.
--------------------
---------
Popeonarope, you are so right in many of your observations. Atrocities are committed on both sides of the fence (the Bible bears this out), religious wars are both historic and current and future (in fact, Revelation 13 declares the final war will be about worship), and there are thousands of man-made gods (which causes no end to many troubles in our world). May I propose that the only factor missing is the one true God and the one true way of following him (as mentioned in my previous post...and as I believe this couple are doing from their heart and conscience). Rest assured that God doesn't like people who are Christian in name only and not in their actions any more than you do (Matthew 25). Indeed, you are so very close.
Popeonarope wrote: I would take issue that "even more atrocities have been committed by those who have rejected anything at all to do with God." Which pale into the background when compared to the horrors in the Old Testament. Religious wars are historic and current and will continue to kill millions needlessly until everyone works out that god is man made, which absolutely explains why there are / were so many gods. -------------------- --------- Popeonarope, you are so right in many of your observations. Atrocities are committed on both sides of the fence (the Bible bears this out), religious wars are both historic and current and future (in fact, Revelation 13 declares the final war will be about worship), and there are thousands of man-made gods (which causes no end to many troubles in our world). May I propose that the only factor missing is the one true God and the one true way of following him (as mentioned in my previous post...and as I believe this couple are doing from their heart and conscience). Rest assured that God doesn't like people who are Christian in name only and not in their actions any more than you do (Matthew 25). Indeed, you are so very close. Third Planet
  • Score: -2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree