A Watford care home has failed to meet the required standards in protecting its users from abuse or the risk of unsafe care.

Wisteria Lodge, in Brookdene Avenue, was found to have not met the required standards in three of the Care Quality Commission criteria, following an unannounced inspection in May.

The inspectors found people who use the service were not protected from the risk of abuse.

The report said the care provider had not taken reasonable steps to ensure that staff could respond appropriately to allegations of abuse or that people's human rights were protected.

In addition the inspection found Wisteria Lodge did not have an effective system in place to regularly assess and monitor the quality of service that its users received.

It further concluded people were not protected from the risks of unsafe or inappropriate care and treatment because care records were not always available.

The report stated the provider did not have an adequate system in place to ensure that records where held in such a way that they were accessible and located promptly.

However, the care home, which is run by T Chan Wan Fong and F Tin Chan Wan Fong, met the required standard in respecting and involving people who use the services, in the care and welfare of service users and in the requirements relating to workers.

The report said: "We asked the provider to tell us what they would do to meet the requirements of the law in relation to safeguarding vulnerable people from abuse."

It continued: "We asked the provider to tell us what they would do to meet the requirements of the law in relation to records being kept securely and could located promptly when required."

Wisteria Lodge is registered to provide accommodation and personal care for people with learning disabilities and autistic spectrums.

The inspector found that the service was providing the support people needed and that people were happy with the care that they had received.

The report also praised staff for being "caring and helpful".

Wisteria Lodge managers declined to comment when approached by the Watford Observer.