Druids pub to reopen as 'Golden Lion' after refurbishment

Druids pub to reopen as 'Golden Lion' after refurbishment

Druids pub to reopen as 'Golden Lion' after refurbishment

First published in News

Druids pub, in Estcourt Road, Watford, has been closed for refurbishment.

Work is expected to take three weeks and when it is completed, the pub will reopen as the Golden Lion - a name it previously used more than 20 years ago.    

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:26am Fri 15 Aug 14

pietas says...

What is the point of this article, apart from an advert?
Why is the name being changed, is it still going to be a rugby themed pub, is there a new owner? More information please. How about an interview with the owner?
Additionally, although the pub was indeed called the Golden Lion 'more than 20 years ago', I think it was only renamed Druids in about 2005. Therefore it was still the Golden Lion 10 years ago. If wrong I am sure someone will correct me.
What is the point of this article, apart from an advert? Why is the name being changed, is it still going to be a rugby themed pub, is there a new owner? More information please. How about an interview with the owner? Additionally, although the pub was indeed called the Golden Lion 'more than 20 years ago', I think it was only renamed Druids in about 2005. Therefore it was still the Golden Lion 10 years ago. If wrong I am sure someone will correct me. pietas
  • Score: 0

10:52am Fri 15 Aug 14

inside-watford says...

pietas wrote:
What is the point of this article, apart from an advert?
Why is the name being changed, is it still going to be a rugby themed pub, is there a new owner? More information please. How about an interview with the owner?
Additionally, although the pub was indeed called the Golden Lion 'more than 20 years ago', I think it was only renamed Druids in about 2005. Therefore it was still the Golden Lion 10 years ago. If wrong I am sure someone will correct me.
I think it was 'Reid's Bar' before it was Druids.
[quote][p][bold]pietas[/bold] wrote: What is the point of this article, apart from an advert? Why is the name being changed, is it still going to be a rugby themed pub, is there a new owner? More information please. How about an interview with the owner? Additionally, although the pub was indeed called the Golden Lion 'more than 20 years ago', I think it was only renamed Druids in about 2005. Therefore it was still the Golden Lion 10 years ago. If wrong I am sure someone will correct me.[/p][/quote]I think it was 'Reid's Bar' before it was Druids. inside-watford
  • Score: 5

10:56am Fri 15 Aug 14

inside-watford says...

pietas wrote:
What is the point of this article, apart from an advert?
Why is the name being changed, is it still going to be a rugby themed pub, is there a new owner? More information please. How about an interview with the owner?
Additionally, although the pub was indeed called the Golden Lion 'more than 20 years ago', I think it was only renamed Druids in about 2005. Therefore it was still the Golden Lion 10 years ago. If wrong I am sure someone will correct me.
And before Reid's it was Flynns..... So I believe the article is correct in regards to the Golden Lion name.
[quote][p][bold]pietas[/bold] wrote: What is the point of this article, apart from an advert? Why is the name being changed, is it still going to be a rugby themed pub, is there a new owner? More information please. How about an interview with the owner? Additionally, although the pub was indeed called the Golden Lion 'more than 20 years ago', I think it was only renamed Druids in about 2005. Therefore it was still the Golden Lion 10 years ago. If wrong I am sure someone will correct me.[/p][/quote]And before Reid's it was Flynns..... So I believe the article is correct in regards to the Golden Lion name. inside-watford
  • Score: 3

11:25am Fri 15 Aug 14

TRT says...

Am I right in thinking that the Estcourt Tavern is also closed for refurbishment? Leaving that particular road junction without a single pub!
Am I right in thinking that the Estcourt Tavern is also closed for refurbishment? Leaving that particular road junction without a single pub! TRT
  • Score: 0

11:43am Fri 15 Aug 14

CaptainPC says...

TRT is right. I now have to walk nearly 400 yards to get a beer. Shocking planning. I may contact John Dowdle and see if he will take up my cause.
TRT is right. I now have to walk nearly 400 yards to get a beer. Shocking planning. I may contact John Dowdle and see if he will take up my cause. CaptainPC
  • Score: 3

12:02pm Fri 15 Aug 14

pietas says...

inside-watford wrote:
pietas wrote:
What is the point of this article, apart from an advert?
Why is the name being changed, is it still going to be a rugby themed pub, is there a new owner? More information please. How about an interview with the owner?
Additionally, although the pub was indeed called the Golden Lion 'more than 20 years ago', I think it was only renamed Druids in about 2005. Therefore it was still the Golden Lion 10 years ago. If wrong I am sure someone will correct me.
And before Reid's it was Flynns..... So I believe the article is correct in regards to the Golden Lion name.
Thanks Inside-Watford, I stand corrected, had totally forgotten about Reids and Flynns.
[quote][p][bold]inside-watford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pietas[/bold] wrote: What is the point of this article, apart from an advert? Why is the name being changed, is it still going to be a rugby themed pub, is there a new owner? More information please. How about an interview with the owner? Additionally, although the pub was indeed called the Golden Lion 'more than 20 years ago', I think it was only renamed Druids in about 2005. Therefore it was still the Golden Lion 10 years ago. If wrong I am sure someone will correct me.[/p][/quote]And before Reid's it was Flynns..... So I believe the article is correct in regards to the Golden Lion name.[/p][/quote]Thanks Inside-Watford, I stand corrected, had totally forgotten about Reids and Flynns. pietas
  • Score: 2

12:07pm Fri 15 Aug 14

inside-watford says...

pietas wrote:
inside-watford wrote:
pietas wrote:
What is the point of this article, apart from an advert?
Why is the name being changed, is it still going to be a rugby themed pub, is there a new owner? More information please. How about an interview with the owner?
Additionally, although the pub was indeed called the Golden Lion 'more than 20 years ago', I think it was only renamed Druids in about 2005. Therefore it was still the Golden Lion 10 years ago. If wrong I am sure someone will correct me.
And before Reid's it was Flynns..... So I believe the article is correct in regards to the Golden Lion name.
Thanks Inside-Watford, I stand corrected, had totally forgotten about Reids and Flynns.
No problem. Found a Facebook page which also says it will be the same people running it despite the name change from Druids to Golden Lion. As you say though it would have been nice to have had these details in the article.
[quote][p][bold]pietas[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]inside-watford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pietas[/bold] wrote: What is the point of this article, apart from an advert? Why is the name being changed, is it still going to be a rugby themed pub, is there a new owner? More information please. How about an interview with the owner? Additionally, although the pub was indeed called the Golden Lion 'more than 20 years ago', I think it was only renamed Druids in about 2005. Therefore it was still the Golden Lion 10 years ago. If wrong I am sure someone will correct me.[/p][/quote]And before Reid's it was Flynns..... So I believe the article is correct in regards to the Golden Lion name.[/p][/quote]Thanks Inside-Watford, I stand corrected, had totally forgotten about Reids and Flynns.[/p][/quote]No problem. Found a Facebook page which also says it will be the same people running it despite the name change from Druids to Golden Lion. As you say though it would have been nice to have had these details in the article. inside-watford
  • Score: 3

2:15pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Andrew1963 says...

About 30 years ago i was leaving the Estcourt Tavern, walking towards Beechen Grove, when a man came crashing through a wndow of the Golden Lion. Robbie in the Estcourt would never allow such things, but the Gl was always a little less salubrious than its neighbour!
About 30 years ago i was leaving the Estcourt Tavern, walking towards Beechen Grove, when a man came crashing through a wndow of the Golden Lion. Robbie in the Estcourt would never allow such things, but the Gl was always a little less salubrious than its neighbour! Andrew1963
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree