A 'dangerous' kidnapper from Watford - whose victim was threatened with having his penis cut off and feared death - has lost an Appeal Court bid for freedom.
Judges at the London court ruled that 39-year-old Arfan Hussain Shah's conviction for the honour-based kidnapping of 21-year-old Blackburn student, Qasim Ahmed, was 'safe'.
Shah, of Paddock Close, was caged for nine years at St Albans Crown Court on February 12 last year.
He must serve an extra five years on licence following his release after being condemned as a danger to the public.
Co-defendant Hamzah Chaudry, 26, of Albert Road North, Watford, admitted kidnap and got five years and nine months behind bars.
Chaudry's 19-year-old sister, Aqsa, was in a relationship with Mr Ahmed but her family 'disapproved', Lord Justice Treacy told the court today.
The couple secretly spent the day together in Watford on May 14, 2014.
But when Mr Ahmed went to the station to get a train home to Lancashire he was spotted by Chaudry and forced into a taxi office.
Calls were made to his family in Blackburn, telling them to collect him or he would be returned minus an arm or leg.
Family friend, Shah, arrived at the taxi office and took a 'leading role' in what happened.
He made 'various threats' to Mr Ahmed, who was bundled into a car by Chaudry, Shah and others and driven up the M1.
The taunts and threats continued and they stopped in a field where the victim was hit a number of times.
He was ordered to take his trousers off, so they could cut off his penis, and was stabbed twice in the buttocks.
Mr Ahmed managed to run off to a remote house where he pleaded for help, believing he was going to be murdered, said the judge.
Shah's 'very bad criminal record' - 38 convictions for 92 offences - included two previous kidnap and robberies involving a taxi driver and a hitchhiker.
He had other convictions for causing grievous bodily harm with intent, when he drove a car at a witness, and causing bodily harm by wanton driving.
Shah argued his conviction was 'unfair' and he had been prejudiced because the trial judge had allowed evidence of some of his previous crimes to go in front of the jury.
But Lord Justice Treacy said: "There is no basis for us to interfere with the judge's conclusion as to admissibility".
Shah also argued his jail term was far too tough and the judge was 'wrong' to label him 'dangerous'.
Lord Justice Treacy disagreed, saying the judge was 'fully entitled' to find that he was.
"This was an ordeal lasting a significant period of time, during which Shah took the lead in inflicting terror and violence which left the victim believing he would be killed," he added.
"We are unpersuaded that there is any arguable point in relation either to conviction or sentence."
The judge, sitting with Mr Justice Garnham and Mr Justice Holroyde, dismissed the appeal.