Councillors and politicians say parents who won the fight to save Nascot Lawn were treated "incredibly poorly" and "messed around".

This morning, a High Court judge quashed Herts Valley Clinical Commissioning Group's decision to shut the Langley Road, Watford, centre.

Parents of disabled children who rely on the centre argued no consultation had been carried out, so took the CCG to judicial review.


It means the group will need to keep the centre open until at least August while consulting with Hertfordshire County Council.  

Deputy Mayor of Watford, Cllr Peter Taylor, was overjoyed at the news.

Watford Observer: Deputy Mayor of Watford Peter Taylor

He said: "This is no more than the Nascot Lawn families deserve, who have been incredibly poorly treated by the local CCG and have fought courageously to get this far.

"Hopefully this can give the CCG the time to think about this incredibly heartless decision that will affect many vulnerable families in Watford and beyond.

"This ruling vindicates the families who use Nascot Lawn in their fight to keep the centre open."

Ruling in their favour, Judge Mostyn said the centre is a "health service" and parents need it for more than just respite.

Hertfordshire Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) took the decision to cut £600,000 of funding to the centre on June 16 last year.

It was originally due to shut in May, but the judge's ruling this morning means it now needs to stay open until at least August.

Watford Observer: Councillors Steve Johnson, Mark Hofman, Jane Johnson and Peter Taylor campaigning to save Nascot Lawn

Liberal Democrat opposition spokesperson for children’s services at county hall, and county councilloir for Nascot Lawn, Cllr Mark Watkin, was also pleased.

He said: "The CCG had made an incredibly poorly thought out decision, hurried through without the proper consultation of families or the county council.

"The High Court ruling today shows just what a mess it truly was.

"The families have been an inspiration given everything they have been through and they are right to have kept fighting this all the way.

"Hopefully this now gives everyone the chance for some breathing space and to think through the next steps for the children and their families who use this service."

The campaign to save Nascot Lawn drew cross-party support, and the Watford Observer launched a campaign to support the parents.

Watford Labour spokesperson for children's services, Nigel Bell, said: "This is fantastic news and I really feel for the parents.


Watford Observer:

"It's been so difficult but the main thing is, they have a victory.

"They have been treated appallingly since this decision was first made. They were messed around, there was no proper consultation.

"When you think about what the parents of severely disabled children had to go through, and the pressures on their lives, it's amazing they managed to fight this.

"But we must make sure something comes out of it. The parents must get what they deserve."

Labour councillor Asif Khan has worked closely with the parents of eight-year-old Liam Murphy, Angelina and Gary.

Liam, eight, has Down's syndrome, chronic epilepsy and seizures and the centre helps him and his family a great deal.

Cllr Khan said: "This shows what parents have been saying all along - that Herts CCG has been acting illegally in it's decision to shut such a wonderful facility.

Watford Observer:

"They need to work with parents to ensure the health facility provides the respite care the staff have been doing passionately."