Elderly north Watford man hurt trying to tackle fire in his flat

An elderly man was left with burns on his hands and suffering from smoke inhalation after trying to throw a burning object out of his flat in north Watford.

Fire crews were called to the address, in Chatsworth Mews, after a plastic item fell on an oven hot ring and caught fire at around 7pm last night.

Watch Commander Tony McMenamin, from Garston Fire Station, said when his crew got to the flat the man was unsteady on his feet from the smoke.

He said he had picked up the flaming object, which was too melted to be identified, and run through the flat to get it out of the premises.

"He needed assistance to get clear of the flat," said Mr McMenamin.

"We gave him some oxygen and treated his burns, he did take in a fair amount of smoke."

The man was later taken to Watford General Hospital.

Firefighters dealt with a small fire in the kitchen after getting the man out of the flat.

Mr McMenamin added that residents should call the emergency services rather than attempt to deal with fires themselves.

"If you can’t deal with if safely, shut the door and call us," he said.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree