Tea towels catch light in north Watford Launderette

Firefighters at the launderette. Picture by Kylee Green

Firefighters at the launderette. Picture by Kylee Green

First published in News Watford Observer: Photograph of the Author by , Chief Reporter

Flats in north Watford had to be evacuated after a pile of oily tea towels caught light in a launderette.

Firefighters were called to North Watford Launderette in St Albans Road at around 8.50pm yesterday after residents reported smoke coming through the floor of the flats above the business.

Watch commander Tony Smith, from Garston Fire Station, said when his men arrived smoke was coming through the shutters of the launderette.

He said: "We had to cut our way through the shutters using a disc cutter. It was heavily smoked logged so the crew went in and located the fire with a thermal imaging camera.

"There was considerable damage to the property."

Mr Smith added that no one was injured in the blaze.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree