Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting WO to 80360, or email us
Watford chief inspector, Nick Caveney, welcomes Area nightclub compromise
Chief Inspector Nick Caveney said police had made the dramatic move as the club “was not living up to its responsibility”, but supported the compromise reached last week.
On Friday police agreed to the drop their application for the club to lose its licence if it agreed to close for two months and reopen under a different name.
The club, in The Parade, also accepted other restrictions on its operation at the licensing sub committee at Watford Borough Council.
Following the meeting Mr Caveney said: "I am pleased with the conditions imposed by the council’s licensing sub commitee.
"Area nightclub was not living up to its responsibility to ensure the safety and wellbeing of its customers and the general public.”
In the police’s application to the council, officers submitted a report detailing problems at the club over the last year.
Among the issues listed were violent fights where glass was used and allegations the doors to the club had been left chained shut while the 1,500-capacity club was operating.
Watford’s elected mayor, Dorothy Thornhill, said: "We are working hard with our partners to change the dynamic of the town centre so it’s good to hear that current licence-holders are acting responsibly."
Comments are closed on this article.