Birkdale Trophies Challenge Cup Round Two

Headstone Athletic are still on course to win the trophy for a third successive season and fourth time overall but they were made to fight all the way in an epic tie against old rivals Colne Valley. With the match tied at 5-5 after 120 minutes of end-to-end football, they won through 6-5 on penalties.

Andy Burton gave Valley the lead after 20 minutes, but the lead was short lived as Headstone equalised from a contentious penalty.

Despite Valley keeper Dave Durbridge saving the kick from Harry Healey, Athletic were given another chance when the referee decided that Richard Williams' attempt to clear the rebound was a foul and this time Dan Page scored from the spot. Headstone then took the lead when Page tapped in from close range.

Valley levelled ten minutes into the second half through Lawrence Anscomb and took the lead with 13 minutes left when Tom Seamons slotted home. However, their opponents kept thei hopes alive when Healey forced extra-time with five minutes remaining.

Seamons scored his second of the game to put Valley back in front early in the first additional period, but Headstone equalised again just before the change of ends via a long-range effort from Tom O’Malley.

The tie was still unrelenting as Valley took the lead again through a header from Anscomb, but in keeping with the pattern of the contest Headstone levelled once again with just a minute left through Page.

The penalty shoot-out went to sudden death, with Luke Clark missing the vital kick for Valley to leave their relieved opponents with a match against second divison Brookside for a place in the last four.

Premier Division

Woodside took advantage of Headstone’s involvement in the Challenge Cup to take over the lead at the top of the table after beating Reed Rangers 6-1.

The original game had been abandoned in December with the scores at 1-1 after 41 minutes.

This time Woodside got off to a quick start and took the lead when Drew Snailham lobbed the keeper and eight minutes later scored a solo goal to make it 2-0.

Reed pulled one back from Dean Hammill before the break. But the second half started like the first when, two minutes in, Dan Campbell scored and six minutes later Dom David made it 4-1.

Woodside's fifth came after David ran almost the whole length of the pitch and his blocked shot fell to Joe McCarthy, who slotted home. David then scored his second to complete the win.

Kings Langley are still looking for a first league win of the season but they came extremely close after narrowly losing 2-1 at Cassiobury Rangers.

On a boggy pitch, Cassiobury had a one-goal advantage at half-time thanks to a Chris Parrott header.

Langley levlled on the hour-mark thanks to Steve Lovell’s long range free-kick and both sides missed chances before Jack Henley scored the winner for Rangers 15 minutes from time.

Ken Simmons Memorial Cup Group B

Colne Valley Reserves saw off Brookside 6-1 to book their place in the semi-finals as the best runners-up.

Dave Rooney led the way with a hat-trick, supported by a brace from Tom Shand a single from Perry Rogers.

Jordan Cocmazzi netted Brookside's sole goal in the first half.

Ken Simmons Memorial Cup Group C

Bovingdon complete the last-four line-up after topping Group C following a 3-0 win over Ebury Olympians.

James Strivens, Jack Anderson scored in the first half, with Dave Marks netting after the break.

Division Two

Oxhey Park are now six points clear at the top after a 4-1 win over Cassiobury Revolution.

Kevin Ayolebe struck a brace, supported by singles from Shane Flynn and Floyd Tate. Darren O’Brien hit the Revolution reply.

In the battle of the bottom two, Roundbush edged out Bushey Olympians 3-2.

A penalty from Ben Lelyveld put Bush ahead early on but Bushey netted twice to take the lead by half time.

However, Bush came from behind to take the points after the interval through Lloyd Turner and Blaise Sheverington.