Gianfranco Zola admits to doubts before Watford's 4-0 victory over Birmingham City

Watford Observer: A through the net view of Almen Abdi's fourth goal for Watford. Picture: Action Images A through the net view of Almen Abdi's fourth goal for Watford. Picture: Action Images

Gianfranco Zola rated Watford’s performance in their 4-0 victory at Birmingham City as one of their best of the season, admitting he had doubts beforehand after the Hornets had to shuffle their defensive ranks.

With Joel Ekstrand still ruled out with a knee injury and Tommie Hoban sustaining a recurrence of an ankle problems, the visitors’ defensive options were further limited by a hamstring injury to Fitz Hall which is likely to keep him out of action for at least a couple of weeks.

This meant Marco Cassetti moved back to play on the left side of the central defensive trio alongside Nyron Nosworthy and Lloyd Doyley, but the Hornets produced a generally solid defensive display to finish with a clean sheet alongside Troy Deeney’s brace and singles from Ikechi Anya and Almen Abdi to lift them back up to third in the table.

The Hornets head coach said: “It was a good result and a good performance on a day when we had a few doubts before the game. But the attitude and the performance of the players, they just removed all the doubts and the clouds we had around us. That was very, very important for me.

“We were missing players like Fitz, Joel Ekstrand and also Tommie Hoban and so we had to adapt a little bit. But Marco Cassetti came in [to the defence] and has been excellent today.

“Also we had doubts because the last week in the second half [against Crystal Palace] we dropped the performance too much and we were concerned about our physical condition. Maybe we thought it could have been a difficult moment for us physically wise but that performance today I think it cleared everything out, it was very important.”

Asked if the performance was as good as Watford have produced this season, Zola responded: “I think there were some spells in the game when we were really good. I rate it as one of the best performances considering the difficulties that we had. But I think we’ve played some better games than this.”

Comments (47)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:35pm Sat 16 Feb 13

PeteBogHorrorHornet says...

Normal service is resumed. Sweet! And I thought opposing teams were beginning to find out how to play against us.
Normal service is resumed. Sweet! And I thought opposing teams were beginning to find out how to play against us. PeteBogHorrorHornet
  • Score: 0

6:45pm Sat 16 Feb 13

CARDIFFHORN says...

Do I sense changes for Tuesday night, hope not unless injury forced.
Do I sense changes for Tuesday night, hope not unless injury forced. CARDIFFHORN
  • Score: 0

6:47pm Sat 16 Feb 13

DuffmanWFC says...

Great result from the lads today and great support as we took nearly 2,500 fans!
We are a strong side that has plenty of cover/options! Just think about it... No Hall, Hoban, Neuton, Ekstrand or Eustace! Who are all very good defenders/workers for the side.
We still have to play a lot of the teams way outside the top half of the league and we have Cardiff at home and Leicester and Hull away which I think will suit us as our counter attack style could over whelm them?
Exciting times, all we need now is a few extra closet fans to turn up at home games and lend their voices and continued strong away support and we could even win this league!
Great result from the lads today and great support as we took nearly 2,500 fans! We are a strong side that has plenty of cover/options! Just think about it... No Hall, Hoban, Neuton, Ekstrand or Eustace! Who are all very good defenders/workers for the side. We still have to play a lot of the teams way outside the top half of the league and we have Cardiff at home and Leicester and Hull away which I think will suit us as our counter attack style could over whelm them? Exciting times, all we need now is a few extra closet fans to turn up at home games and lend their voices and continued strong away support and we could even win this league! DuffmanWFC
  • Score: 0

7:24pm Sat 16 Feb 13

WHIZZY HORNET says...

Nice to hear Phil Thompson on Sky Sports saying in the summing up of the game "This Watford team are a very good team" and was full of praise in the way we played. Are we suddenly getting a few supporters in the way we have played this season?
Nice to hear Phil Thompson on Sky Sports saying in the summing up of the game "This Watford team are a very good team" and was full of praise in the way we played. Are we suddenly getting a few supporters in the way we have played this season? WHIZZY HORNET
  • Score: 0

7:36pm Sat 16 Feb 13

Summer breeze says...

On our way home on the train, superb, wonderful, entertaining & more than made up for that miserable night @ Bristol. So glad to be there today and see such a great event! Well done you Golden Boys and GFZ - you made all us travelling hornets so happy & proud!
On our way home on the train, superb, wonderful, entertaining & more than made up for that miserable night @ Bristol. So glad to be there today and see such a great event! Well done you Golden Boys and GFZ - you made all us travelling hornets so happy & proud! Summer breeze
  • Score: 0

8:25pm Sat 16 Feb 13

mattymashup says...

What a fantastic game! Very entertaining, lots of goals and great support!
I predicted 3 nil, guess I shouldn't have been so bloody pessimistic!
Forza Watford!
What a fantastic game! Very entertaining, lots of goals and great support! I predicted 3 nil, guess I shouldn't have been so bloody pessimistic! Forza Watford! mattymashup
  • Score: 0

8:25pm Sat 16 Feb 13

The BestTrip2011 says...

There is nothing like going to places like Birmingham and outsinging the home support. But that was the reality! What a fantastic away support. On to Ipswich...
There is nothing like going to places like Birmingham and outsinging the home support. But that was the reality! What a fantastic away support. On to Ipswich... The BestTrip2011
  • Score: 0

9:01pm Sat 16 Feb 13

DuffmanWFC says...

This is becoming extreamly exciting now, just look at our next five games.. Ipswich (18th) Derby (9th) Sheff Wed (20th) Wolves (21st) and Blackpool (14th) these are all winnable for us as long as Zola picks our strongest side every time! By the time we get to play Cardiff at the Vic we could be playing for top spot by beating them!
What an exciting prospect that is... Beating McPie and his over rated lady boys on the telly to go top!
Come On You Horns!
This is becoming extreamly exciting now, just look at our next five games.. Ipswich (18th) Derby (9th) Sheff Wed (20th) Wolves (21st) and Blackpool (14th) these are all winnable for us as long as Zola picks our strongest side every time! By the time we get to play Cardiff at the Vic we could be playing for top spot by beating them! What an exciting prospect that is... Beating McPie and his over rated lady boys on the telly to go top! Come On You Horns! DuffmanWFC
  • Score: 0

9:02pm Sat 16 Feb 13

DuffmanWFC says...

Yeeeeeelllllloooooow
wwwssss!
Yeeeeeelllllloooooow wwwssss! DuffmanWFC
  • Score: 0

9:56pm Sat 16 Feb 13

willia6692 says...

Im gutted that ive missed this, but i cannot wait until Tuesday. Iv not been to Portman Road since it was terracing and jason Drysdale banged in a free kick for us to win 2 -1.

Sounds like the Watford fans were in fine voice today, we need this at the Vic, lets start to raise the noise levels at home. You stay away fans, dont be shy come on down this is an exciting ride. We need you. The boys need you. Come on Watford.
Im gutted that ive missed this, but i cannot wait until Tuesday. Iv not been to Portman Road since it was terracing and jason Drysdale banged in a free kick for us to win 2 -1. Sounds like the Watford fans were in fine voice today, we need this at the Vic, lets start to raise the noise levels at home. You stay away fans, dont be shy come on down this is an exciting ride. We need you. The boys need you. Come on Watford. willia6692
  • Score: 0

10:52pm Sat 16 Feb 13

Mangoputney says...

Haha!
Haha! Mangoputney
  • Score: 0

11:05pm Sat 16 Feb 13

willia6692 says...

watford watford im so proud of you. amazing scoring goals for fun. Please get 3 points again tuesday. please please please. need to sing loud on Saturday Watford.
watford watford im so proud of you. amazing scoring goals for fun. Please get 3 points again tuesday. please please please. need to sing loud on Saturday Watford. willia6692
  • Score: 0

11:10pm Sat 16 Feb 13

Mangoputney says...

willia6692 wrote:
watford watford im so proud of you. amazing scoring goals for fun. Please get 3 points again tuesday. please please please. need to sing loud on Saturday Watford.
This post stinks of bullying lol.
[quote][p][bold]willia6692[/bold] wrote: watford watford im so proud of you. amazing scoring goals for fun. Please get 3 points again tuesday. please please please. need to sing loud on Saturday Watford.[/p][/quote]This post stinks of bullying lol. Mangoputney
  • Score: 0

12:35am Sun 17 Feb 13

tiger bay says...

Thought Marco Casseti showed a bit of class today..effortlessly switching to centre-back and Nat Chalobah was back to his best alongside an immense Almen Abdi.....Dont be completely fooled by the scoreline, Brum created a few good chances but some of Watfords one touch passing oozed Premiership quality. The fans were loud away from home again..only sour note was the over-zealous stewarding with several ejections via unreasonable force..Forza Watford!!!
Thought Marco Casseti showed a bit of class today..effortlessly switching to centre-back and Nat Chalobah was back to his best alongside an immense Almen Abdi.....Dont be completely fooled by the scoreline, Brum created a few good chances but some of Watfords one touch passing oozed Premiership quality. The fans were loud away from home again..only sour note was the over-zealous stewarding with several ejections via unreasonable force..Forza Watford!!! tiger bay
  • Score: 0

3:19am Sun 17 Feb 13

PhilippineOrn says...

Listened in on 3CR (obviously). Craig Ramage I swear had a boner throughout the game - he kept purring about us being Premiership standard and even admitted he would never have got into this team. It's 11am here and just woken up with the biggest hangover after that win last night. Life is very good right now
Listened in on 3CR (obviously). Craig Ramage I swear had a boner throughout the game - he kept purring about us being Premiership standard and even admitted he would never have got into this team. It's 11am here and just woken up with the biggest hangover after that win last night. Life is very good right now PhilippineOrn
  • Score: 0

6:46am Sun 17 Feb 13

mellow yellow says...

A clean sheet with a restructured back four and a great scoreline. I was a bit unsure Cassetti could handle that position in the hurly burly of the Championship, but he proved by doubts unfounded. What a player. Perhaps NOT so clear cut for Player of the Year... Vydra, Abdi, Cassetti... though Hoban nailed on for Young Player of the Year. Yellows!
A clean sheet with a restructured back four and a great scoreline. I was a bit unsure Cassetti could handle that position in the hurly burly of the Championship, but he proved by doubts unfounded. What a player. Perhaps NOT so clear cut for Player of the Year... Vydra, Abdi, Cassetti... though Hoban nailed on for Young Player of the Year. Yellows! mellow yellow
  • Score: 0

7:07am Sun 17 Feb 13

lutondown says...

tiger bay wrote:
Thought Marco Casseti showed a bit of class today..effortlessly switching to centre-back and Nat Chalobah was back to his best alongside an immense Almen Abdi.....Dont be completely fooled by the scoreline, Brum created a few good chances but some of Watfords one touch passing oozed Premiership quality. The fans were loud away from home again..only sour note was the over-zealous stewarding with several ejections via unreasonable force..Forza Watford!!!
Good shout, tbh I have seen us better, and youre right, in that Brum were not clinical in front of goal, but to not be at full tilt and win at will like we did, is the mark of a good team!
[quote][p][bold]tiger bay[/bold] wrote: Thought Marco Casseti showed a bit of class today..effortlessly switching to centre-back and Nat Chalobah was back to his best alongside an immense Almen Abdi.....Dont be completely fooled by the scoreline, Brum created a few good chances but some of Watfords one touch passing oozed Premiership quality. The fans were loud away from home again..only sour note was the over-zealous stewarding with several ejections via unreasonable force..Forza Watford!!![/p][/quote]Good shout, tbh I have seen us better, and youre right, in that Brum were not clinical in front of goal, but to not be at full tilt and win at will like we did, is the mark of a good team! lutondown
  • Score: 0

7:12am Sun 17 Feb 13

mellow yellow says...

A Birmingham fan on one of their fanzines, on meeting Watford:

"If there’s one positive it is that it’s all over, most of the clubs around City still have the pleasure to come."
A Birmingham fan on one of their fanzines, on meeting Watford: "If there’s one positive it is that it’s all over, most of the clubs around City still have the pleasure to come." mellow yellow
  • Score: 0

8:14am Sun 17 Feb 13

The BestTrip2011 says...

mellow yellow wrote:
A Birmingham fan on one of their fanzines, on meeting Watford:

"If there’s one positive it is that it’s all over, most of the clubs around City still have the pleasure to come."
Those Brummies always were illiterate.
[quote][p][bold]mellow yellow[/bold] wrote: A Birmingham fan on one of their fanzines, on meeting Watford: "If there’s one positive it is that it’s all over, most of the clubs around City still have the pleasure to come."[/p][/quote]Those Brummies always were illiterate. The BestTrip2011
  • Score: 0

8:25am Sun 17 Feb 13

SAHornet says...

The BestTrip2011 wrote:
mellow yellow wrote:
A Birmingham fan on one of their fanzines, on meeting Watford:

"If there’s one positive it is that it’s all over, most of the clubs around City still have the pleasure to come."
Those Brummies always were illiterate.
What a stupid comment....makes no sense. Why not try to be at least a little bit constructive?
[quote][p][bold]The BestTrip2011[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mellow yellow[/bold] wrote: A Birmingham fan on one of their fanzines, on meeting Watford: "If there’s one positive it is that it’s all over, most of the clubs around City still have the pleasure to come."[/p][/quote]Those Brummies always were illiterate.[/p][/quote]What a stupid comment....makes no sense. Why not try to be at least a little bit constructive? SAHornet
  • Score: 0

8:53am Sun 17 Feb 13

ChunkeyMonkey says...

Let's hope the Cardiff choke starts on Tuesday at home to Brighton. A win at Ipswich is important as Hull, Leicester and Palace all play at home as well as the leaders. Only Middlesbrough are away and they appear to be in free fall.
Let's hope the Cardiff choke starts on Tuesday at home to Brighton. A win at Ipswich is important as Hull, Leicester and Palace all play at home as well as the leaders. Only Middlesbrough are away and they appear to be in free fall. ChunkeyMonkey
  • Score: 0

9:34am Sun 17 Feb 13

lutondown says...

SAHornet wrote:
The BestTrip2011 wrote:
mellow yellow wrote:
A Birmingham fan on one of their fanzines, on meeting Watford:

"If there’s one positive it is that it’s all over, most of the clubs around City still have the pleasure to come."
Those Brummies always were illiterate.
What a stupid comment....makes no sense. Why not try to be at least a little bit constructive?
Yes it was a compliment, we don't need to be ungracious in victory.
We were that team we beat yesterday and if we hadn't got lucky be facing the same bleak future.
[quote][p][bold]SAHornet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The BestTrip2011[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mellow yellow[/bold] wrote: A Birmingham fan on one of their fanzines, on meeting Watford: "If there’s one positive it is that it’s all over, most of the clubs around City still have the pleasure to come."[/p][/quote]Those Brummies always were illiterate.[/p][/quote]What a stupid comment....makes no sense. Why not try to be at least a little bit constructive?[/p][/quote]Yes it was a compliment, we don't need to be ungracious in victory. We were that team we beat yesterday and if we hadn't got lucky be facing the same bleak future. lutondown
  • Score: 0

10:52am Sun 17 Feb 13

DuffmanWFC says...

Yep we got lucky with Pozzo and with him buying our club it has been transformed behond anything we could all of imagined!
It was only a year ago when we thought administration was a certainty, thank you Pozzo, Nani, Duxbury, Zola, the staff and players for transforming our club!
Yep we got lucky with Pozzo and with him buying our club it has been transformed behond anything we could all of imagined! It was only a year ago when we thought administration was a certainty, thank you Pozzo, Nani, Duxbury, Zola, the staff and players for transforming our club! DuffmanWFC
  • Score: 0

11:19am Sun 17 Feb 13

lockerbiehornet says...

What a day April 6th looks like, we play the Fat Sweatys, WFC ol boys at home but Leicester play BHA away and Hull play Boro, that could sort a few positions out in a weekend.

Great result yesterday, I do love strutting round Glasgow with my Horns shirt on these days! Proud as fek
What a day April 6th looks like, we play the Fat Sweatys, WFC ol boys at home but Leicester play BHA away and Hull play Boro, that could sort a few positions out in a weekend. Great result yesterday, I do love strutting round Glasgow with my Horns shirt on these days! Proud as fek lockerbiehornet
  • Score: 0

4:42pm Sun 17 Feb 13

micksolly says...

Did anyone else get caught up in the trouble after the game?
Did anyone else get caught up in the trouble after the game? micksolly
  • Score: 0

4:52pm Sun 17 Feb 13

Holly68 says...

micksolly wrote:
Did anyone else get caught up in the trouble after the game?
Some of our younger (teenage/early twenties) generation fans were attacked by approx 15 men in their mid 30's (zulu's) by the roundabout down from McDonalds, they ambushed our fans from behind, knocking a couple to the ground, one needed medical treatment but was then ok. Our fans stood up for themselves and the Birmingham Zulu's ran back into housing estate, especially when police arrived.

There was another altercation outside Birmingham New Street station, again a different group of Birmingham Zulu's ambushed some of our younger adult fans, who I understand stood up for themselves and after minor skirmishes the Birmingham group ran off into the shopping centre.

This sort of thing probably happens at every Birmingham home game in small doses, away fans are fair game in their eyes when walking in smaller groups back to New Street Station.
[quote][p][bold]micksolly[/bold] wrote: Did anyone else get caught up in the trouble after the game?[/p][/quote]Some of our younger (teenage/early twenties) generation fans were attacked by approx 15 men in their mid 30's (zulu's) by the roundabout down from McDonalds, they ambushed our fans from behind, knocking a couple to the ground, one needed medical treatment but was then ok. Our fans stood up for themselves and the Birmingham Zulu's ran back into housing estate, especially when police arrived. There was another altercation outside Birmingham New Street station, again a different group of Birmingham Zulu's ambushed some of our younger adult fans, who I understand stood up for themselves and after minor skirmishes the Birmingham group ran off into the shopping centre. This sort of thing probably happens at every Birmingham home game in small doses, away fans are fair game in their eyes when walking in smaller groups back to New Street Station. Holly68
  • Score: 0

4:55pm Sun 17 Feb 13

lutondown says...

Holly, it was not a Watford fan who went to hospital, it was a Brum fan. The guy who was supposedly injured put record straight on twitter yesterday.
Zulus? They've shrunk a bit since the nineties! More like pygmys
Holly, it was not a Watford fan who went to hospital, it was a Brum fan. The guy who was supposedly injured put record straight on twitter yesterday. Zulus? They've shrunk a bit since the nineties! More like pygmys lutondown
  • Score: 0

5:22pm Sun 17 Feb 13

micksolly says...

Holly68 wrote:
micksolly wrote:
Did anyone else get caught up in the trouble after the game?
Some of our younger (teenage/early twenties) generation fans were attacked by approx 15 men in their mid 30's (zulu's) by the roundabout down from McDonalds, they ambushed our fans from behind, knocking a couple to the ground, one needed medical treatment but was then ok. Our fans stood up for themselves and the Birmingham Zulu's ran back into housing estate, especially when police arrived.

There was another altercation outside Birmingham New Street station, again a different group of Birmingham Zulu's ambushed some of our younger adult fans, who I understand stood up for themselves and after minor skirmishes the Birmingham group ran off into the shopping centre.

This sort of thing probably happens at every Birmingham home game in small doses, away fans are fair game in their eyes when walking in smaller groups back to New Street Station.
So if that happens on a regular basis why don't the local police have a few officers at certain points on the route to the station? Really poor thought that sort of thing was all in the past obviously not.
[quote][p][bold]Holly68[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]micksolly[/bold] wrote: Did anyone else get caught up in the trouble after the game?[/p][/quote]Some of our younger (teenage/early twenties) generation fans were attacked by approx 15 men in their mid 30's (zulu's) by the roundabout down from McDonalds, they ambushed our fans from behind, knocking a couple to the ground, one needed medical treatment but was then ok. Our fans stood up for themselves and the Birmingham Zulu's ran back into housing estate, especially when police arrived. There was another altercation outside Birmingham New Street station, again a different group of Birmingham Zulu's ambushed some of our younger adult fans, who I understand stood up for themselves and after minor skirmishes the Birmingham group ran off into the shopping centre. This sort of thing probably happens at every Birmingham home game in small doses, away fans are fair game in their eyes when walking in smaller groups back to New Street Station.[/p][/quote]So if that happens on a regular basis why don't the local police have a few officers at certain points on the route to the station? Really poor thought that sort of thing was all in the past obviously not. micksolly
  • Score: 0

5:42pm Sun 17 Feb 13

Holly68 says...

lutondown wrote:
Holly, it was not a Watford fan who went to hospital, it was a Brum fan. The guy who was supposedly injured put record straight on twitter yesterday.
Zulus? They've shrunk a bit since the nineties! More like pygmys
A Watford fan received medical treatment from an ambulance at the roundabout after being hit but was then fine and didnt go to hospital. No Birminghsm fans were hurt at the McDonald's roundabout, they ran off after cowardly ambushing our yoofs.

So if a Brum fan went to hospital was unrelated or after outside station incident, which again was a targeted ambush by different Brum
[quote][p][bold]lutondown[/bold] wrote: Holly, it was not a Watford fan who went to hospital, it was a Brum fan. The guy who was supposedly injured put record straight on twitter yesterday. Zulus? They've shrunk a bit since the nineties! More like pygmys[/p][/quote]A Watford fan received medical treatment from an ambulance at the roundabout after being hit but was then fine and didnt go to hospital. No Birminghsm fans were hurt at the McDonald's roundabout, they ran off after cowardly ambushing our yoofs. So if a Brum fan went to hospital was unrelated or after outside station incident, which again was a targeted ambush by different Brum Holly68
  • Score: 0

5:46pm Sun 17 Feb 13

Holly68 says...

micksolly wrote:
Holly68 wrote:
micksolly wrote:
Did anyone else get caught up in the trouble after the game?
Some of our younger (teenage/early twenties) generation fans were attacked by approx 15 men in their mid 30's (zulu's) by the roundabout down from McDonalds, they ambushed our fans from behind, knocking a couple to the ground, one needed medical treatment but was then ok. Our fans stood up for themselves and the Birmingham Zulu's ran back into housing estate, especially when police arrived.

There was another altercation outside Birmingham New Street station, again a different group of Birmingham Zulu's ambushed some of our younger adult fans, who I understand stood up for themselves and after minor skirmishes the Birmingham group ran off into the shopping centre.

This sort of thing probably happens at every Birmingham home game in small doses, away fans are fair game in their eyes when walking in smaller groups back to New Street Station.
So if that happens on a regular basis why don't the local police have a few officers at certain points on the route to the station? Really poor thought that sort of thing was all in the past obviously not.
We are talking about deprived areas in a major city, football or no football there are always incidents in these places.

Plus the Watford fans did walk down the road singing very loudly and being bullish, I know that's no excuse to be attacked, but they did draw attention to themselves.

When I went to Birmingham in the eighties on our way to the Cup Final when we won 3-1, there was major disorder before, during and after the game, you were lucky to get of the place in one piece, so compared to now, it's a needle in a hay stack compared to the eighties
[quote][p][bold]micksolly[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Holly68[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]micksolly[/bold] wrote: Did anyone else get caught up in the trouble after the game?[/p][/quote]Some of our younger (teenage/early twenties) generation fans were attacked by approx 15 men in their mid 30's (zulu's) by the roundabout down from McDonalds, they ambushed our fans from behind, knocking a couple to the ground, one needed medical treatment but was then ok. Our fans stood up for themselves and the Birmingham Zulu's ran back into housing estate, especially when police arrived. There was another altercation outside Birmingham New Street station, again a different group of Birmingham Zulu's ambushed some of our younger adult fans, who I understand stood up for themselves and after minor skirmishes the Birmingham group ran off into the shopping centre. This sort of thing probably happens at every Birmingham home game in small doses, away fans are fair game in their eyes when walking in smaller groups back to New Street Station.[/p][/quote]So if that happens on a regular basis why don't the local police have a few officers at certain points on the route to the station? Really poor thought that sort of thing was all in the past obviously not.[/p][/quote]We are talking about deprived areas in a major city, football or no football there are always incidents in these places. Plus the Watford fans did walk down the road singing very loudly and being bullish, I know that's no excuse to be attacked, but they did draw attention to themselves. When I went to Birmingham in the eighties on our way to the Cup Final when we won 3-1, there was major disorder before, during and after the game, you were lucky to get of the place in one piece, so compared to now, it's a needle in a hay stack compared to the eighties Holly68
  • Score: 0

6:30pm Sun 17 Feb 13

micksolly says...

Holly68 wrote:
micksolly wrote:
Holly68 wrote:
micksolly wrote:
Did anyone else get caught up in the trouble after the game?
Some of our younger (teenage/early twenties) generation fans were attacked by approx 15 men in their mid 30's (zulu's) by the roundabout down from McDonalds, they ambushed our fans from behind, knocking a couple to the ground, one needed medical treatment but was then ok. Our fans stood up for themselves and the Birmingham Zulu's ran back into housing estate, especially when police arrived.

There was another altercation outside Birmingham New Street station, again a different group of Birmingham Zulu's ambushed some of our younger adult fans, who I understand stood up for themselves and after minor skirmishes the Birmingham group ran off into the shopping centre.

This sort of thing probably happens at every Birmingham home game in small doses, away fans are fair game in their eyes when walking in smaller groups back to New Street Station.
So if that happens on a regular basis why don't the local police have a few officers at certain points on the route to the station? Really poor thought that sort of thing was all in the past obviously not.
We are talking about deprived areas in a major city, football or no football there are always incidents in these places.

Plus the Watford fans did walk down the road singing very loudly and being bullish, I know that's no excuse to be attacked, but they did draw attention to themselves.

When I went to Birmingham in the eighties on our way to the Cup Final when we won 3-1, there was major disorder before, during and after the game, you were lucky to get of the place in one piece, so compared to now, it's a needle in a hay stack compared to the eighties
I was also there in the eighties and remember how intimidating it was that day and was discussing the john Barnes goal with a blues fan in a pub before the game. I just feel that the local police should be proactive rather reactive ie the police van pulled up after the Zulus or pygamies had done a runner.
[quote][p][bold]Holly68[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]micksolly[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Holly68[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]micksolly[/bold] wrote: Did anyone else get caught up in the trouble after the game?[/p][/quote]Some of our younger (teenage/early twenties) generation fans were attacked by approx 15 men in their mid 30's (zulu's) by the roundabout down from McDonalds, they ambushed our fans from behind, knocking a couple to the ground, one needed medical treatment but was then ok. Our fans stood up for themselves and the Birmingham Zulu's ran back into housing estate, especially when police arrived. There was another altercation outside Birmingham New Street station, again a different group of Birmingham Zulu's ambushed some of our younger adult fans, who I understand stood up for themselves and after minor skirmishes the Birmingham group ran off into the shopping centre. This sort of thing probably happens at every Birmingham home game in small doses, away fans are fair game in their eyes when walking in smaller groups back to New Street Station.[/p][/quote]So if that happens on a regular basis why don't the local police have a few officers at certain points on the route to the station? Really poor thought that sort of thing was all in the past obviously not.[/p][/quote]We are talking about deprived areas in a major city, football or no football there are always incidents in these places. Plus the Watford fans did walk down the road singing very loudly and being bullish, I know that's no excuse to be attacked, but they did draw attention to themselves. When I went to Birmingham in the eighties on our way to the Cup Final when we won 3-1, there was major disorder before, during and after the game, you were lucky to get of the place in one piece, so compared to now, it's a needle in a hay stack compared to the eighties[/p][/quote]I was also there in the eighties and remember how intimidating it was that day and was discussing the john Barnes goal with a blues fan in a pub before the game. I just feel that the local police should be proactive rather reactive ie the police van pulled up after the Zulus or pygamies had done a runner. micksolly
  • Score: 0

6:51pm Sun 17 Feb 13

Diggercally says...

Struggling to get the Almen Abdi chant off the ground. What about a verse beforehand eg:
'...and I would walk 500 miles;
and I would walk 500 more; just to see Gianfranco's Watford;
and to see our Almen Abdi score; Almen Abdi;
Almen Abdi;
Almen Abdi;
Almen Abdi;
da de de lan de de lan etc etc... or something similar?
Struggling to get the Almen Abdi chant off the ground. What about a verse beforehand eg: '...and I would walk 500 miles; and I would walk 500 more; just to see Gianfranco's Watford; and to see our Almen Abdi score; Almen Abdi; Almen Abdi; Almen Abdi; Almen Abdi; da de de lan de de lan etc etc... or something similar? Diggercally
  • Score: 0

7:57pm Sun 17 Feb 13

Holly68 says...

Diggercally wrote:
Struggling to get the Almen Abdi chant off the ground. What about a verse beforehand eg:
'...and I would walk 500 miles;
and I would walk 500 more; just to see Gianfranco's Watford;
and to see our Almen Abdi score; Almen Abdi;
Almen Abdi;
Almen Abdi;
Almen Abdi;
da de de lan de de lan etc etc... or something similar?
Start slowly then build the pace :

I would walk 500 miles
And I would walk 500 more
Just to see Gianfranco's Watford
And see Almen Abdi score
Almen Abdi
Almen Abdi
Almen Abdi
Almen Abdi
Da da da de etc etc
[quote][p][bold]Diggercally[/bold] wrote: Struggling to get the Almen Abdi chant off the ground. What about a verse beforehand eg: '...and I would walk 500 miles; and I would walk 500 more; just to see Gianfranco's Watford; and to see our Almen Abdi score; Almen Abdi; Almen Abdi; Almen Abdi; Almen Abdi; da de de lan de de lan etc etc... or something similar?[/p][/quote]Start slowly then build the pace : I would walk 500 miles And I would walk 500 more Just to see Gianfranco's Watford And see Almen Abdi score Almen Abdi Almen Abdi Almen Abdi Almen Abdi Da da da de etc etc Holly68
  • Score: 0

8:22pm Sun 17 Feb 13

Holly68 says...

2nd Song :


"Yellow"

See Watford's stars,
Look how they shine for you,
And everything you do,
We are all yellow.

We come along,
We sing this song for you,
And all the things you do,
We are all "Yellow".

Your skills,
Oh yeah your skill and goals,
Turn in,
to something beautiful,
You know,
you know I love you so,
You know I love you so ...

Yellows, Yellows, Yellows, Yellows
2nd Song : "Yellow" See Watford's stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, We are all yellow. We come along, We sing this song for you, And all the things you do, We are all "Yellow". Your skills, Oh yeah your skill and goals, Turn in, to something beautiful, You know, you know I love you so, You know I love you so ... Yellows, Yellows, Yellows, Yellows Holly68
  • Score: 0

8:27pm Sun 17 Feb 13

lutondown says...

Holly68 wrote:
2nd Song :


"Yellow"

See Watford's stars,
Look how they shine for you,
And everything you do,
We are all yellow.

We come along,
We sing this song for you,
And all the things you do,
We are all "Yellow".

Your skills,
Oh yeah your skill and goals,
Turn in,
to something beautiful,
You know,
you know I love you so,
You know I love you so ...

Yellows, Yellows, Yellows, Yellows
That'll get the legends rocking!
[quote][p][bold]Holly68[/bold] wrote: 2nd Song : "Yellow" See Watford's stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, We are all yellow. We come along, We sing this song for you, And all the things you do, We are all "Yellow". Your skills, Oh yeah your skill and goals, Turn in, to something beautiful, You know, you know I love you so, You know I love you so ... Yellows, Yellows, Yellows, Yellows[/p][/quote]That'll get the legends rocking! lutondown
  • Score: 0

10:30pm Sun 17 Feb 13

willia6692 says...

Diggercally wrote:
Struggling to get the Almen Abdi chant off the ground. What about a verse beforehand eg:
'...and I would walk 500 miles;
and I would walk 500 more; just to see Gianfranco's Watford;
and to see our Almen Abdi score; Almen Abdi;
Almen Abdi;
Almen Abdi;
Almen Abdi;
da de de lan de de lan etc etc... or something similar?
class, this is brilliant, come on we need this unreserved seating to get these songs off the ground. Im so excited. Tuesday night who will be the first.
[quote][p][bold]Diggercally[/bold] wrote: Struggling to get the Almen Abdi chant off the ground. What about a verse beforehand eg: '...and I would walk 500 miles; and I would walk 500 more; just to see Gianfranco's Watford; and to see our Almen Abdi score; Almen Abdi; Almen Abdi; Almen Abdi; Almen Abdi; da de de lan de de lan etc etc... or something similar?[/p][/quote]class, this is brilliant, come on we need this unreserved seating to get these songs off the ground. Im so excited. Tuesday night who will be the first. willia6692
  • Score: 0

10:45pm Sun 17 Feb 13

Holly68 says...

in Watford town,
where I was born,
l met a man,
who sailed to sea,
and he told me of his life,
in the land of submarines

So we sailed on to the sun,
Till we found our pitch of green, With our hearts at vicarage road,
In our yellow submarine,

We all live in a yellow submarine, yellow submarine, yellow submarine
in Watford town, where I was born, l met a man, who sailed to sea, and he told me of his life, in the land of submarines So we sailed on to the sun, Till we found our pitch of green, With our hearts at vicarage road, In our yellow submarine, We all live in a yellow submarine, yellow submarine, yellow submarine Holly68
  • Score: 0

12:00am Mon 18 Feb 13

willia6692 says...

The songs are flying out now, all we need now is the area to sing them in, you hooooorrrrrrnnnnnsss
s. i cant wait for tuesday ipswich.
The songs are flying out now, all we need now is the area to sing them in, you hooooorrrrrrnnnnnsss s. i cant wait for tuesday ipswich. willia6692
  • Score: 0

1:35am Mon 18 Feb 13

willia6692 says...

A few people on the WFC Forum are suggesting that the bigger teams that have 'Anthems' Liverpool 'Youl never walk alone' Man City 'Blue Moon' these songs work because the original words are sang.

Look at the stars
Look how they shine for you
And everything you do
Yeah they were all yellow

I came along
I wrote a song for you
And all the things you do
And it was called yellow

So then I took my turn
Oh what a thing to have done
And it was all yellow

Your skin
Oh yeah your skin and bones
Turn into something beautiful
You know you know I love you so
You know I love you so

What do you think guys, i can see their point.
A few people on the WFC Forum are suggesting that the bigger teams that have 'Anthems' Liverpool 'Youl never walk alone' Man City 'Blue Moon' these songs work because the original words are sang. Look at the stars Look how they shine for you And everything you do Yeah they were all yellow I came along I wrote a song for you And all the things you do And it was called yellow So then I took my turn Oh what a thing to have done And it was all yellow Your skin Oh yeah your skin and bones Turn into something beautiful You know you know I love you so You know I love you so What do you think guys, i can see their point. willia6692
  • Score: 0

4:50am Mon 18 Feb 13

Tonytheaceman says...

The BestTrip2011 wrote:
There is nothing like going to places like Birmingham and outsinging the home support. But that was the reality! What a fantastic away support. On to Ipswich...
Like Palace out sung us :(
COYH
[quote][p][bold]The BestTrip2011[/bold] wrote: There is nothing like going to places like Birmingham and outsinging the home support. But that was the reality! What a fantastic away support. On to Ipswich...[/p][/quote]Like Palace out sung us :( COYH Tonytheaceman
  • Score: 0

8:33am Mon 18 Feb 13

Eastsussexhornet says...

Tonytheaceman wrote:
The BestTrip2011 wrote:
There is nothing like going to places like Birmingham and outsinging the home support. But that was the reality! What a fantastic away support. On to Ipswich...
Like Palace out sung us :(
COYH
How often is it the case that the visiting supporters are louder than the home supporters - nearly always. Too many of us have an inferiority complex....!
[quote][p][bold]Tonytheaceman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The BestTrip2011[/bold] wrote: There is nothing like going to places like Birmingham and outsinging the home support. But that was the reality! What a fantastic away support. On to Ipswich...[/p][/quote]Like Palace out sung us :( COYH[/p][/quote]How often is it the case that the visiting supporters are louder than the home supporters - nearly always. Too many of us have an inferiority complex....! Eastsussexhornet
  • Score: 0

9:23am Mon 18 Feb 13

Travelling Hornet says...

willia6692 wrote:
A few people on the WFC Forum are suggesting that the bigger teams that have 'Anthems' Liverpool 'Youl never walk alone' Man City 'Blue Moon' these songs work because the original words are sang.

Look at the stars
Look how they shine for you
And everything you do
Yeah they were all yellow

I came along
I wrote a song for you
And all the things you do
And it was called yellow

So then I took my turn
Oh what a thing to have done
And it was all yellow

Your skin
Oh yeah your skin and bones
Turn into something beautiful
You know you know I love you so
You know I love you so

What do you think guys, i can see their point.
This would work! The song is an anthem , but getting everyone to sing in unison is the problem.
Play it over the PA just before Z cars everymatch then we can sing along and learn the words as we go.
Failing that does anyone in the South Oxhey choir have Gareth Malones number!
[quote][p][bold]willia6692[/bold] wrote: A few people on the WFC Forum are suggesting that the bigger teams that have 'Anthems' Liverpool 'Youl never walk alone' Man City 'Blue Moon' these songs work because the original words are sang. Look at the stars Look how they shine for you And everything you do Yeah they were all yellow I came along I wrote a song for you And all the things you do And it was called yellow So then I took my turn Oh what a thing to have done And it was all yellow Your skin Oh yeah your skin and bones Turn into something beautiful You know you know I love you so You know I love you so What do you think guys, i can see their point.[/p][/quote]This would work! The song is an anthem , but getting everyone to sing in unison is the problem. Play it over the PA just before Z cars everymatch then we can sing along and learn the words as we go. Failing that does anyone in the South Oxhey choir have Gareth Malones number! Travelling Hornet
  • Score: 0

4:58pm Mon 18 Feb 13

tiger bay says...

Holly68 wrote:
in Watford town,
where I was born,
l met a man,
who sailed to sea,
and he told me of his life,
in the land of submarines

So we sailed on to the sun,
Till we found our pitch of green, With our hearts at vicarage road,
In our yellow submarine,

We all live in a yellow submarine, yellow submarine, yellow submarine
We all sup-port a yellow football team..a yellow football team..a yellow football team etc....
[quote][p][bold]Holly68[/bold] wrote: in Watford town, where I was born, l met a man, who sailed to sea, and he told me of his life, in the land of submarines So we sailed on to the sun, Till we found our pitch of green, With our hearts at vicarage road, In our yellow submarine, We all live in a yellow submarine, yellow submarine, yellow submarine[/p][/quote]We all sup-port a yellow football team..a yellow football team..a yellow football team etc.... tiger bay
  • Score: 0

5:03pm Mon 18 Feb 13

tiger bay says...

One of my old favourites was to the tune pf 'Wandering Star'
I was born under a Rookery roof
I was born under a Rookery roof
Boots were made for kicking
Guns were made to shoot
If you come down to the Rookery
And we'll stick in the boot!!

Very anthemic but obviously needs tweaking as the sticking in the boot bit is a tad outdated....unless of course you're a Zulu.....
One of my old favourites was to the tune pf 'Wandering Star' I was born under a Rookery roof I was born under a Rookery roof Boots were made for kicking Guns were made to shoot If you come down to the Rookery And we'll stick in the boot!! Very anthemic but obviously needs tweaking as the sticking in the boot bit is a tad outdated....unless of course you're a Zulu..... tiger bay
  • Score: 0

5:09pm Mon 18 Feb 13

lutondown says...

tiger bay wrote:
One of my old favourites was to the tune pf 'Wandering Star'
I was born under a Rookery roof
I was born under a Rookery roof
Boots were made for kicking
Guns were made to shoot
If you come down to the Rookery
And we'll stick in the boot!!

Very anthemic but obviously needs tweaking as the sticking in the boot bit is a tad outdated....unless of course you're a Zulu.....
Yep the old ones were the best.
Current pop songs and altered with thuggish suggestions...
It's a long way to Watford Junction
It's a long way to go.....( sang to quivering away fans)
[quote][p][bold]tiger bay[/bold] wrote: One of my old favourites was to the tune pf 'Wandering Star' I was born under a Rookery roof I was born under a Rookery roof Boots were made for kicking Guns were made to shoot If you come down to the Rookery And we'll stick in the boot!! Very anthemic but obviously needs tweaking as the sticking in the boot bit is a tad outdated....unless of course you're a Zulu.....[/p][/quote]Yep the old ones were the best. Current pop songs and altered with thuggish suggestions... It's a long way to Watford Junction It's a long way to go.....( sang to quivering away fans) lutondown
  • Score: 0

5:12pm Mon 18 Feb 13

lutondown says...

tiger bay wrote:
One of my old favourites was to the tune pf 'Wandering Star'
I was born under a Rookery roof
I was born under a Rookery roof
Boots were made for kicking
Guns were made to shoot
If you come down to the Rookery
And we'll stick in the boot!!

Very anthemic but obviously needs tweaking as the sticking in the boot bit is a tad outdated....unless of course you're a Zulu.....
And the completely daft but catchy..
In Watfords fair City
Where the girls are so pretty
I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone
Where she wheeled her wheel Barrow
From Watford to Harrow.....

Total nonsense!
And knees up mother brown knees up mother brown..up the table we must go he hi he hi he hi ho
And if I catch you bending
I'll saw your legs in half
Knees up knees up...

The days!
[quote][p][bold]tiger bay[/bold] wrote: One of my old favourites was to the tune pf 'Wandering Star' I was born under a Rookery roof I was born under a Rookery roof Boots were made for kicking Guns were made to shoot If you come down to the Rookery And we'll stick in the boot!! Very anthemic but obviously needs tweaking as the sticking in the boot bit is a tad outdated....unless of course you're a Zulu.....[/p][/quote]And the completely daft but catchy.. In Watfords fair City Where the girls are so pretty I first set my eyes on sweet Molly Malone Where she wheeled her wheel Barrow From Watford to Harrow..... Total nonsense! And knees up mother brown knees up mother brown..up the table we must go he hi he hi he hi ho And if I catch you bending I'll saw your legs in half Knees up knees up... The days! lutondown
  • Score: 0

12:45pm Tue 19 Feb 13

Hopemole says...

Why so little credit to Ikechi Anya. His speed and distribution ability are a Real asset to this squad!
Why so little credit to Ikechi Anya. His speed and distribution ability are a Real asset to this squad! Hopemole
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree