Watford Sunday League round-up

Watford Observer: St Josephs (red shirts) went top of the Premier Division after ending Oakview's 100 per cent record. Picture: Holly Cant St Josephs (red shirts) went top of the Premier Division after ending Oakview's 100 per cent record. Picture: Holly Cant

WSFL Challenge Cup Round Three

Division One side Rifle Volunteer comprehensively overcame a spirited Shenley Wood outfit to book their place in the last eight of the Challenge Cup with a 7-2 victory and make it eight successive wins.

Back on home turf for the first time in more than a month, the Rifle soon started playing some flowing football and it wasn't long before the floodgates opened when a clumsy tackle on Andy Lomas in the penalty area gave Adam Doe the chance to score from the spot and he duly obliged.

Mark Lomas then expertly finished off Wayne Jackson's ranging pass to extend the lead soon after before Terry Cooper thought he had added a third when he scored a superb diving header from fully 20 yards, only for the referee to disallow the goal because a free-kick was taken before the whistle had been blown.

Profligate finishing ensured the score remained the same at the break but it didn't take Mark Lomas long to make it 3-0 when he tapped home a Doe cross. Cooper then made up for his earlier disallowed goal when he headed home an Andy Lomas corner.

The younger Lomas was again brought down for a penalty when clean through on goal, which allowed Doe to score his second of the contest and eighth of the season from the spot.

At 5-0, Rifle took their foot of the gas and allowed Wood a route back into the game.

A clumsy challenge in the box gave Shenley a penalty, which was superbly saved by Kev West, but a sloppy ten minutes saw Wood score twice through Sam McDonagh and Nick Martin.

Rifle responded with two goals in the final ten minutes as Mark Lomas completed his hat-trick before West achieved the rare feat of saving a penalty and scoring in the same game when he tapped home from close range after becoming an outfield player.

Premier Division

The top-of-the-table meeting saw St Josephs not only end Oakview's 100 per cent start to the season but also take their top spot with a close 2-1 victory to maintain their own perfect record.

Joes' marksmen were Alex Brown and Jack Brown while Tim O'Mara replied for their opponents, who dropped to third place.

Oxhey Estates moved up to second after beating Gadeside Rangers by the odd goal in five.

Goals from Wayne Gladdy and two from Roy Byron secured the points after Russ Popplewell and Adam Hills had netted for Rangers.

Bushey were surprisingly beaten 2-1 at home by Croxley Green Community Centre.

Croxley's goals came from Andy Avis and Harry Brock while John Croft netted for Bushey.

West Herts looked to be in control of their game against AFC Spartians as they led 3-0 at half-time thanks to Laurence Olorunfemi (2) and new signing Patryk Ogorek.

The visitors pulled a goal back early in the second half through Callum McCarroll and started to gain the upper hand, but the Stags defended well, with Kayon Howells outstanding, to secure three valuable points.

Division One

Another top-of-the-table encounter produced a more definitive score as Mill End Sports got the better of second-placed Evergreen 3-0 thanks to Andy Pryor, Jordan Robinson and Glen O'Malley.

Cassiobury Rangers comprehensively outplayed Chorleywood Club to gain a fine 4-0 win.

The first half started with both sides playing attacking football, but with a tighter back line and players having returned from injury, Cassiobury began to dominate and went close on several occasions.

They made the breakthrough on the counter-attack after a Chorleywood corner when following a clearance from Dan Zaraiah, Jack Henley played the ball to Brima Johnson, who laid off a sweet pass for James Laws to stab home.

Cassiobury were now on top and very quickly added to their tally as a Johnson corner was headed against the post by Laws, only for Rob Tomkinson to follow up and score.

The second half started off in much the same fashion with Cassiobury firmly on top, but their opponents defended valiantly and tried to fight back. But their resistance was broken again by an excellent move.

It was started in defence by Adam Bignell, who passed down the line to Tom Norris. He in turn found Johnson to deliver a pin-point cross to Laws, who passed the ball to Frank Blande for him to slot past the keeper.

The last goal, ten minutes from the end, was again scored by Laws after a fine pass from Chris Parrott.

FC Crescent (Dean Collum) drew 1-1 with Bushey Bimecc (Harrison Jones).

Division Two

Leaders Hammer Reserves were trounced 6-1 by Green Dragon, who made it seven wins out of seven in the league.

Although third in the table, Dragon have three games in hand on the table toppers and now only trail by three points following Dean Parratt's hat-trick, a Keifer Shuttleworth brace and one from Sam Margerison. Alan Dunton netted Hammer's sole reply.

Second-placed Old Fullerians edged out Langleybury Cricket Club by the odd goal in five.

Sam Parker (2) and Daniel Woosley were on target for Fullers with Alex Gunning and Matthew Whittington responding.

Victoria encountered few problems against Sun Postal Sports as they romped to a 9-0 win through Spencer Bellotti (4), Jamie Beaumont (2), Steve Noonan, Joe Cheshire and Liam Doran.

AFC Bushey won 4-0 away at Hertsmere (Sunday) in the lower regions of the table through goals from Carl Mitchell, who netted a brace, Paul Watts and Dave O'Flaherty.

Division Three

With the top three teams all winning, there were no changes in the table.

Leaders Rickmansworth Rovers had a 4-0 win over Railway Arms to keep them at the summit thanks to efforts from Harry Wallace, Tom Gibson, Bert Adams and an own goal.

Croxley FC Reserves, in second, won 4-1 against strugglers AFC Oddfellows with yet another hat-trick from Rishi Doshi and one from Ollie Edwards. Daniel Francis netted the consolation.

Oxhey Lions got the better of RD FC 3-1 to stay in the running for honours as Liam Hanley, Joe Shepherd and Gavin Shepherd were all on target. Akil Phillip Ford scored for RD.

Racing Santandome and Dome Bar Area fought out a 2-2 draw as Chris Panyai and Alex Connolly's goals for Racing were cancelled out by Garvin Fisher and Adam Taylor.

Division Four

Met Police (Bushey) took over top spot from Carpenders Park Rangers as a Richard Taylor hat-trick fired them to a 3-0 victory over West Watford.

Rangers lost out 4-3 in an exciting encounter against Rickmansworth Athletic, who are in a handy position with games in hand on all the top teams and just four points in arrears.

Nicky Thomas (2), Simon Lee and a Jerome Driscoll penalty registered for Ricky, with Joe Barton, George Mole and Patrick Bessinga on target for the former table toppers.

Third-placed North Watford had hat-trick-hitting Mansoor Ali to thank for their 3-1 win at Green Dragon Reserves (Tony Browne).

The league's lowest side, Watford Town, had every reason to celebrate after claiming their first win of the season, 3-1 at Sun Postal United.

Aaron Crawford netted twice for the victors, who also had Cameron Sutherland on target, with Shane Kitts replying.

West Herts Reserves had a convincing 6-0 win away at AFC Bushey Reserves with goals from Rob Boarder(2), Davan Desai, a Mat Jones penalty, Sam Norris and David McConnon.


Comments are closed on this article.


About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree