A faultless display from Tom McGee helped Watford claim a 44-6 win against Pinner

A faultless display from Tom McGee helped Watford clinch a 44-6 win against Pinner in Herts/Middlesex Three.

Watford enjoyed the majority of territory and possession early on and they established a lead as McGee converted three long-range penalties.

The side continued to push hard and prop Luke Bees scored the first try of the afternoon with a powerful run from close range. McGee added the extras.

Luke Hammill then went over for Watford and McGee was again successful with the boot.

The visitors were in dominant mood and a Watford lineout on the Pinner ten metre line was driven deep into the opposition 22. With the maul halted, the backs were given the ball and Paul Dunlop strolled over and McGee again scored the conversion.

Pinner were successful with a penalty late in the opening half but they were on the back foot once again in the second period.

A smart cross field kick from McGee looked to have given Watford their fourth try when Richard Yates collected and scored, however play was brought back for a debatable offside.

It was a temporary reprieve as Sanchez Philpott went over and Jon McClennon touched down. McGee added both conversions to round off an impressive win which leaves the Watford side three points from the automatic promotion places.

Meanwhile Tabard slumped to a 41-5 defeat at North Walsham in London League One North.

The visitors found themselves caught flat-footed as Walsham ran in two early tries, both scored from kicks ahead.

Tabard then got their act together defensively and Walsham had to fight to convert their possession into points. But the hosts got the upper hand in the final ten minutes of the half when Walsham again scored two further tries. This meant Tabard turned around 24-0 down.

The second half saw Tabard get on top and they scored quickly. After a great break upfield by second row Paul Fagan, the ball was recycled and flanker Brad Webber went over in the corner for a deserved try.

Tabard then continued to put the pressure on Walsham and both sets of spectators sensed a resurgence that threatened to pull the away side back into the game.

As the game moved into the final quarter the Tabard effort waned and Walsham were able to pick up three more tries to seal a comfortable victory.

Tabard will look to bounce back this weekend when they return home to face Colchester.


Comments are closed on this article.


About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree