Berkhamsted emphasise title credentials with 2-0 win at Ampthill Town in Spartan South Midlands Premier Division

Berkhamsted underlined their Premier Division title credentials with a 2-0 away victory against current league leaders Ampthill Town on Tuesday.

The deadlock was broken in the 13th minute when top scorer Connor Calcutt controlled a pass from Dan Griggs before turning and smashing his shot into the net.

The visitors then doubled their advantage soon after.

Josh Chamberlain was put through on goal and he arrowed his strike into the corner.

Berko goalkeeper Carl Tasker had little to do in the first half but he was much busier during the second period.

Tasker was beaten on one occasion but the ball struck the post and fortunately dropped back into the arms of the goalkeeper.

Berkhamsted thought they should have had a late penalty when James Towell went down in the box but appeals for a spot-kick were waved away.

However, the visitors were able to see out the game and seal the three points.

On Saturday, Berkhamsted played out a 2-2 draw at Biggleswade United.

The home side went ahead when Tom Cookman beat Tasker but the lead didn’t last long. Chamberlain crossed for Ed Canham and he headed the ball into the path of Calcutt, who rifled a shot past Grant Beckwith.

Berko went ahead in the second period after Canham stroked home a Towell cross but Cookman grabbed his second of the contest and the game ended level.

Tring Athletic’s FA Vase run ended on Saturday when they were beaten 1-0 by Ashford United in the third round.

Tring were on the back foot in the opening 45 minutes but managed to go into the half-time break level.

Ashford remained in control in the second period and Mike Underwood did well to deny Sam Conlon.

Mike Skinner then rattled the crossbar for Tring but moments later United went ahead as James Dryen netted.

Tring dominated the closing stages but were unable to break through the hosts’ defence. Chris Vardy missed the best chance as he shot straight at the home side’s goalkeeper.

On Tuesday, Tring played out a 0-0 Premier Division draw with Biggleswade United.

There were back-to-back defeats for struggling Oxhey Jets.

On Tuesday night, a goal from Aderito Manuel was enough for London Tigers to clinch a 1-0 victory.

Jets travelled to St Margaretsbury on Saturday but suffered a 3-2 loss.

Ryan Wade fired the home side ahead but Karl Bull levelled the game with a neat finish.

However, Wade notched his second to give Margaretsbury a lead at the interval.

Kevin Dee equalised after the restart but Mark Summers struck the winner for the home side with 17 minutes remaining.

Kings Langley produced an impressive performance as they made it through to the Challenge Trophy third round after a 6-0 success against Kent Athletic on Saturday. Goals from Mitchell Weiss and Kane Axten in the opening 15 minutes put the visitors in control and they added another before the interval as Weiss again found the target.

Kings didn’t let up in the second period as Alex Campana scored from an acute angle and he then turned provider as Lewis Pritchard tapped home a cross from close range.

The rout was rounded off in the final minute of normal time as Tom Carter’s shot took a deflection on its way into the net.


Comments are closed on this article.


About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree