Udinese head coach Francesco Guidolin early favourite for Watford job after resignation of Gianfranco Zola

Watford Observer: Francesco Guidolin is one of the favourites for the vacant Watford job: Action Images Francesco Guidolin is one of the favourites for the vacant Watford job: Action Images

Udinese head coach Francesco Guidolin is the early 6/1 favourite with Stan James to be the next Watford manager.

The Italian is the head coach of Udinese, who are also owned by the Pozzos, which probably explains the link. But Guidolin’s side have been struggling this season and are currently 15th in Serie A.

Real Madrid assistant head coach Paul Clement is the second favourite at 7/1 while Ian Holloway and former West Brom boss Steve Clarke, who was dismissed on Saturday, can both be backed at 8/1.

Former Sunderland and Swindon coach Paolo Di Canio is next in the betting at 10/1. Roberto Di Matteo, a close friend of Gianfranco Zola, is available at 12/1 which is the same price as proven Championship manager Neil Warnock.

Zola has been backed with bet365 punters for the vacant Tottenham Hotspur and West Brom jobs.

The Italian is 6/1 to take over the Baggies and is 10/1 to replace Andre Villas-Boas at White Hart Lane. 

Read Watford's statement on Zola's resignation here.

Zola has written an open letter to the fans which can be read here

Some of the Watford players have commented on Zola's departure and these can be viewed here

 

 

Comments (42)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:33pm Mon 16 Dec 13

Andrew1963 says...

Stan James?
Stan James? Andrew1963

5:49pm Mon 16 Dec 13

WanderingDynamo says...

Andrew1963 wrote:
Stan James?
The brother of Sid James.
[quote][p][bold]Andrew1963[/bold] wrote: Stan James?[/p][/quote]The brother of Sid James. WanderingDynamo

5:51pm Mon 16 Dec 13

Andrew1963 says...

WanderingDynamo wrote:
Andrew1963 wrote: Stan James?
The brother of Sid James.
Surely not? I thought he was the godson of William Hill or am getting confused with Uncle Joe Coral. Its that Lad Brooke we want to get the odds from
[quote][p][bold]WanderingDynamo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andrew1963[/bold] wrote: Stan James?[/p][/quote]The brother of Sid James.[/p][/quote]Surely not? I thought he was the godson of William Hill or am getting confused with Uncle Joe Coral. Its that Lad Brooke we want to get the odds from Andrew1963

5:52pm Mon 16 Dec 13

InterludeWFC says...

I wouldn't mind Di Matteo or Clement.

Holloway, Warnock and Di Canio are welcome to manage that club up the M1, but don't let them anywhere near WFC.
I wouldn't mind Di Matteo or Clement. Holloway, Warnock and Di Canio are welcome to manage that club up the M1, but don't let them anywhere near WFC. InterludeWFC

5:54pm Mon 16 Dec 13

watmal17 says...

Andrew1963 wrote:
Stan James?
He's a Bookie
[quote][p][bold]Andrew1963[/bold] wrote: Stan James?[/p][/quote]He's a Bookie watmal17

5:58pm Mon 16 Dec 13

The BestTrip2011 says...

I feel sick just at the mention of Hollowhead and Warncock's names being associated with Watford. Please no.
I feel sick just at the mention of Hollowhead and Warncock's names being associated with Watford. Please no. The BestTrip2011

5:59pm Mon 16 Dec 13

thehornet35 says...

Totally agree, Hollowhead and Wancock would be a disaster.
Totally agree, Hollowhead and Wancock would be a disaster. thehornet35

6:10pm Mon 16 Dec 13

croxley46 says...

The BestTrip2011 wrote:
I feel sick just at the mention of Hollowhead and Warncock's names being associated with Watford. Please no.
.....or Di Canio
[quote][p][bold]The BestTrip2011[/bold] wrote: I feel sick just at the mention of Hollowhead and Warncock's names being associated with Watford. Please no.[/p][/quote].....or Di Canio croxley46

6:17pm Mon 16 Dec 13

HorshamHornet says...

Give it to hollowhead and you can have my season ticket back
Give it to hollowhead and you can have my season ticket back HorshamHornet

6:19pm Mon 16 Dec 13

Coydonn says...

NO WAY.....HOLLOWAY....
HOOFBALL MERCHANT...
NO WAY.....HOLLOWAY.... HOOFBALL MERCHANT... Coydonn

6:20pm Mon 16 Dec 13

The BestTrip2011 says...

HorshamHornet wrote:
Give it to hollowhead and you can have my season ticket back
Yep I wouldn't go either
[quote][p][bold]HorshamHornet[/bold] wrote: Give it to hollowhead and you can have my season ticket back[/p][/quote]Yep I wouldn't go either The BestTrip2011

6:27pm Mon 16 Dec 13

Boosey says...

Paul Clement.
Paul Clement. Boosey

6:28pm Mon 16 Dec 13

ralear49 says...

So, for all who called for Zola's head, his replacement will be a manager who just got fired, or a manager whose team is having a bad season and hasn't yet been fired.
So, for all who called for Zola's head, his replacement will be a manager who just got fired, or a manager whose team is having a bad season and hasn't yet been fired. ralear49

6:30pm Mon 16 Dec 13

Alfie T says...

Brighton fan here. Just to say we came to your place and nicked a fortunate 1.0 win last season, then you embarked on an amazing turn around. When we played you at the Amex, we we're utterly outplayed by the best side I had seen that season and so far this.
Very surprised that you accepted his resignation, but I don't know any details other than the poor run you have been on of late.
I'm sure he would have got it right, but I guess it wasn't to be, I hope you find a decent replacement soon, but I think you'll have to go some to better him.
Good luck for the rest of the season anyway.
Brighton fan here. Just to say we came to your place and nicked a fortunate 1.0 win last season, then you embarked on an amazing turn around. When we played you at the Amex, we we're utterly outplayed by the best side I had seen that season and so far this. Very surprised that you accepted his resignation, but I don't know any details other than the poor run you have been on of late. I'm sure he would have got it right, but I guess it wasn't to be, I hope you find a decent replacement soon, but I think you'll have to go some to better him. Good luck for the rest of the season anyway. Alfie T

6:31pm Mon 16 Dec 13

1234566789 says...

The BestTrip2011 wrote:
HorshamHornet wrote:
Give it to hollowhead and you can have my season ticket back
Yep I wouldn't go either
Same. Was so glad we moved away from that dross we used to call football. Genuinely concerned about who will come in. Someone who has never managed in England before? What's the point. Usual suspects who set teams up to be physically dominant and show no footballing talent? No thanks. Surely only leaves Clarke and Di Matteo - would be fine with either of those but the guys would have a tough time convincing them of it
[quote][p][bold]The BestTrip2011[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]HorshamHornet[/bold] wrote: Give it to hollowhead and you can have my season ticket back[/p][/quote]Yep I wouldn't go either[/p][/quote]Same. Was so glad we moved away from that dross we used to call football. Genuinely concerned about who will come in. Someone who has never managed in England before? What's the point. Usual suspects who set teams up to be physically dominant and show no footballing talent? No thanks. Surely only leaves Clarke and Di Matteo - would be fine with either of those but the guys would have a tough time convincing them of it 1234566789

6:40pm Mon 16 Dec 13

mickallen57 says...

Needs to be anyone but Holloway . I would like Di Matteo or Steve Clark but probably the Udinese coach Guidolin will come in .Whoever it is we need to get behind them from the start (yes even Holloway) to get the lads back up the table.
Needs to be anyone but Holloway . I would like Di Matteo or Steve Clark but probably the Udinese coach Guidolin will come in .Whoever it is we need to get behind them from the start (yes even Holloway) to get the lads back up the table. mickallen57

6:43pm Mon 16 Dec 13

ForzaWatford says...

Clarke, Di Matteo, Clement or Guidolin would be acceptable, what about Gibbs?

Just for the love of God not Holloway or Warnock.
Clarke, Di Matteo, Clement or Guidolin would be acceptable, what about Gibbs? Just for the love of God not Holloway or Warnock. ForzaWatford

6:53pm Mon 16 Dec 13

The BestTrip2011 says...

Many of the bookies listing Hollowhead as favourite. Surely the Pozzos would not seriously consider that illiterate half-wit? I feel ill.
Many of the bookies listing Hollowhead as favourite. Surely the Pozzos would not seriously consider that illiterate half-wit? I feel ill. The BestTrip2011

7:24pm Mon 16 Dec 13

harrowboy says...

Alfie T wrote:
Brighton fan here. Just to say we came to your place and nicked a fortunate 1.0 win last season, then you embarked on an amazing turn around. When we played you at the Amex, we we're utterly outplayed by the best side I had seen that season and so far this.
Very surprised that you accepted his resignation, but I don't know any details other than the poor run you have been on of late.
I'm sure he would have got it right, but I guess it wasn't to be, I hope you find a decent replacement soon, but I think you'll have to go some to better him.
Good luck for the rest of the season anyway.
Thanks Alfie - your comments are appreciated. We do not usually see such erudite comments on this site! Good luck to Brighton for the rest of the season. A good friend is a season ticket holder down there and I enjoy my trips to Brighton, now you have a good ground!

Back to Watford & I guess we are all in shock. Some idiots had been calling for Zola's head but I am not convinced it is the right decision. We certainly do not need the Udinese Head Coach who has no experience of the Championship. Neither is Warnock or Holloway the answer!!
[quote][p][bold]Alfie T[/bold] wrote: Brighton fan here. Just to say we came to your place and nicked a fortunate 1.0 win last season, then you embarked on an amazing turn around. When we played you at the Amex, we we're utterly outplayed by the best side I had seen that season and so far this. Very surprised that you accepted his resignation, but I don't know any details other than the poor run you have been on of late. I'm sure he would have got it right, but I guess it wasn't to be, I hope you find a decent replacement soon, but I think you'll have to go some to better him. Good luck for the rest of the season anyway.[/p][/quote]Thanks Alfie - your comments are appreciated. We do not usually see such erudite comments on this site! Good luck to Brighton for the rest of the season. A good friend is a season ticket holder down there and I enjoy my trips to Brighton, now you have a good ground! Back to Watford & I guess we are all in shock. Some idiots had been calling for Zola's head but I am not convinced it is the right decision. We certainly do not need the Udinese Head Coach who has no experience of the Championship. Neither is Warnock or Holloway the answer!! harrowboy

7:45pm Mon 16 Dec 13

andyandyandy says...

The Udinese coach worries me. Foreign managers always vastly underestimate the quality of the championship.
The Udinese coach worries me. Foreign managers always vastly underestimate the quality of the championship. andyandyandy

7:53pm Mon 16 Dec 13

Mr Watford of Watford says...

The BestTrip2011 wrote:
I feel sick just at the mention of Hollowhead and Warncock's names being associated with Watford. Please no.
I'd welcome them both, having both previously achieved what we are aiming for but I draw the line at DI Canio. He is nuts.

Anybody objecting to Warnock or Holloway can rest easy - I'd be shocked if we had an English manager.
[quote][p][bold]The BestTrip2011[/bold] wrote: I feel sick just at the mention of Hollowhead and Warncock's names being associated with Watford. Please no.[/p][/quote]I'd welcome them both, having both previously achieved what we are aiming for but I draw the line at DI Canio. He is nuts. Anybody objecting to Warnock or Holloway can rest easy - I'd be shocked if we had an English manager. Mr Watford of Watford

8:07pm Mon 16 Dec 13

Henry VIII says...

The next appointment will be of huge significance. I questioned this weekend if the Pozzo family would consider someone from GB or stick with their Italian heritage. As I said before last season the three clubs that got promoted all had British managers, that is not to say that international managers don't get it, but this league is so hard to get out of, often underestimated by many. Whoever they choose, I will support as this is my club, bigger than any individual. However I honestly think this. Given all that the fans have had to suffer for the past five years before the Pozzo's, I would argue that the next appointment could be one of the most crucial in the clubs history. We all know the true, honest smart business plan off the pitch and I think we all fully support and indeed are very thankful for it. I have to say, I honestly have not got a clue who they will appoint. The media will speculate and have a field day as usual, but these guys seem a little more cautious and reflective than many other owners. Whoever you are and whenever you come aboard, know that GFZ helped to build a very decent squad, albeit one low on confidence. There is enough class at the club to perform much better and hopefully whoever comes in will recognize that. Thank you again GFZ, you will always be one of my favourite managers and men in the game, and again I thank the Pozzo's for all that they have done to date for this club. One era has ended, but another is about to begin. The future is still bright, the future is still yellow.
The next appointment will be of huge significance. I questioned this weekend if the Pozzo family would consider someone from GB or stick with their Italian heritage. As I said before last season the three clubs that got promoted all had British managers, that is not to say that international managers don't get it, but this league is so hard to get out of, often underestimated by many. Whoever they choose, I will support as this is my club, bigger than any individual. However I honestly think this. Given all that the fans have had to suffer for the past five years before the Pozzo's, I would argue that the next appointment could be one of the most crucial in the clubs history. We all know the true, honest smart business plan off the pitch and I think we all fully support and indeed are very thankful for it. I have to say, I honestly have not got a clue who they will appoint. The media will speculate and have a field day as usual, but these guys seem a little more cautious and reflective than many other owners. Whoever you are and whenever you come aboard, know that GFZ helped to build a very decent squad, albeit one low on confidence. There is enough class at the club to perform much better and hopefully whoever comes in will recognize that. Thank you again GFZ, you will always be one of my favourite managers and men in the game, and again I thank the Pozzo's for all that they have done to date for this club. One era has ended, but another is about to begin. The future is still bright, the future is still yellow. Henry VIII

8:21pm Mon 16 Dec 13

smarkymark says...

Coydonn wrote:
NO WAY.....HOLLOWAY....

HOOFBALL MERCHANT...
Are you serious? Did you not see the way Blackpool played under Holloway?
[quote][p][bold]Coydonn[/bold] wrote: NO WAY.....HOLLOWAY.... HOOFBALL MERCHANT...[/p][/quote]Are you serious? Did you not see the way Blackpool played under Holloway? smarkymark

8:26pm Mon 16 Dec 13

mooneysmagic says...

Bring back Malky.
Bring back Malky. mooneysmagic

8:34pm Mon 16 Dec 13

Dino1982 says...

No way will the Udinese coach come here. why? To be under even more pressure. Don't think so.
I tink thats the bookies thinking we are joined at the hip with Udinese.
No way will the Udinese coach come here. why? To be under even more pressure. Don't think so. I tink thats the bookies thinking we are joined at the hip with Udinese. Dino1982

8:54pm Mon 16 Dec 13

Alfie T says...

harrowboy wrote:
Alfie T wrote:
Brighton fan here. Just to say we came to your place and nicked a fortunate 1.0 win last season, then you embarked on an amazing turn around. When we played you at the Amex, we we're utterly outplayed by the best side I had seen that season and so far this.
Very surprised that you accepted his resignation, but I don't know any details other than the poor run you have been on of late.
I'm sure he would have got it right, but I guess it wasn't to be, I hope you find a decent replacement soon, but I think you'll have to go some to better him.
Good luck for the rest of the season anyway.
Thanks Alfie - your comments are appreciated. We do not usually see such erudite comments on this site! Good luck to Brighton for the rest of the season. A good friend is a season ticket holder down there and I enjoy my trips to Brighton, now you have a good ground!

Back to Watford & I guess we are all in shock. Some idiots had been calling for Zola's head but I am not convinced it is the right decision. We certainly do not need the Udinese Head Coach who has no experience of the Championship. Neither is Warnock or Holloway the answer!!
After Poyet we needed a like minded replacement to carry the style of football that as Brighton fans we have come to love. Oscar Garcia had no previous English football experience, let alone in the Championship. However, our chairman appointed him and after a tricky start, with many first team players injured,he has started to mould us into a decent side. I'm fairly sure most Watford fans want someone to come in and carry on the style that brought you success under Zola. I hope you get the replacement you all want, but if it's someone from abroad without experience of English football, it can work.
[quote][p][bold]harrowboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Alfie T[/bold] wrote: Brighton fan here. Just to say we came to your place and nicked a fortunate 1.0 win last season, then you embarked on an amazing turn around. When we played you at the Amex, we we're utterly outplayed by the best side I had seen that season and so far this. Very surprised that you accepted his resignation, but I don't know any details other than the poor run you have been on of late. I'm sure he would have got it right, but I guess it wasn't to be, I hope you find a decent replacement soon, but I think you'll have to go some to better him. Good luck for the rest of the season anyway.[/p][/quote]Thanks Alfie - your comments are appreciated. We do not usually see such erudite comments on this site! Good luck to Brighton for the rest of the season. A good friend is a season ticket holder down there and I enjoy my trips to Brighton, now you have a good ground! Back to Watford & I guess we are all in shock. Some idiots had been calling for Zola's head but I am not convinced it is the right decision. We certainly do not need the Udinese Head Coach who has no experience of the Championship. Neither is Warnock or Holloway the answer!![/p][/quote]After Poyet we needed a like minded replacement to carry the style of football that as Brighton fans we have come to love. Oscar Garcia had no previous English football experience, let alone in the Championship. However, our chairman appointed him and after a tricky start, with many first team players injured,he has started to mould us into a decent side. I'm fairly sure most Watford fans want someone to come in and carry on the style that brought you success under Zola. I hope you get the replacement you all want, but if it's someone from abroad without experience of English football, it can work. Alfie T

9:01pm Mon 16 Dec 13

jasonwatford says...

Paul Clement is our man.....we pulled out Aidy Boothroyd from no where same as Brendan Rogers......don't want any has beens
Paul Clement is our man.....we pulled out Aidy Boothroyd from no where same as Brendan Rogers......don't want any has beens jasonwatford

9:24pm Mon 16 Dec 13

WessexLad says...

Apparently Gianfranco is on the short list for the vacant WBA job, so Vydra may get his chance again. Two weeks ago, he came on with just 10 minutes to play and craeted two goals. Why he wasn't selected to start on that basis I have no idea.

It makes me wonder if we really want Clarke at Watford. Di Mateo for me; he ought to be out of our league, but the Pozzos are very persuasive.
Apparently Gianfranco is on the short list for the vacant WBA job, so Vydra may get his chance again. Two weeks ago, he came on with just 10 minutes to play and craeted two goals. Why he wasn't selected to start on that basis I have no idea. It makes me wonder if we really want Clarke at Watford. Di Mateo for me; he ought to be out of our league, but the Pozzos are very persuasive. WessexLad

9:35pm Mon 16 Dec 13

corbindallas says...

We will appoint a manager who will probably not be known by many, and he will probably not be British either, that is the Pozzo's way usually looking at both the other clubs they own history of appointments. Re the doom mongers on this fact I point to Southampton as an example of what can be achieved with backing. At the end of the day Zola was just too **** nice and we need someone who can make players do the job or be dropped and frankly I don't think Zola could do that properly, lot's of talk about losing respect by some players and also about some in fighting true or not we have not been showing the same form as last year with some better players on paper just not producing the results, Zola has left now and for the club this is the right time also as a new man can look at what he has and also replace and change in January!
We will appoint a manager who will probably not be known by many, and he will probably not be British either, that is the Pozzo's way usually looking at both the other clubs they own history of appointments. Re the doom mongers on this fact I point to Southampton as an example of what can be achieved with backing. At the end of the day Zola was just too **** nice and we need someone who can make players do the job or be dropped and frankly I don't think Zola could do that properly, lot's of talk about losing respect by some players and also about some in fighting true or not we have not been showing the same form as last year with some better players on paper just not producing the results, Zola has left now and for the club this is the right time also as a new man can look at what he has and also replace and change in January! corbindallas

9:37pm Mon 16 Dec 13

'emel 'orn says...

If this Francesco Guidolin does become manager, the Pozzos need to release his actual height as quickly as possible so we can get writing a new chant. A quick Google tells me he is 5ft 10inches. "Francesco, ooooh, Francesco, ooooh. Quite tall at 5ft 10, he lives in Harpenden. Francesco ooooh ."

Goodbye, Zola. Thanks for the memories.
If this Francesco Guidolin does become manager, the Pozzos need to release his actual height as quickly as possible so we can get writing a new chant. A quick Google tells me he is 5ft 10inches. "Francesco, ooooh, Francesco, ooooh. Quite tall at 5ft 10, he lives in Harpenden. Francesco ooooh [repeat to fade]." Goodbye, Zola. Thanks for the memories. 'emel 'orn

9:52pm Mon 16 Dec 13

matey_from_brighton says...

Alfie T wrote:
harrowboy wrote:
Alfie T wrote:
Brighton fan here. Just to say we came to your place and nicked a fortunate 1.0 win last season, then you embarked on an amazing turn around. When we played you at the Amex, we we're utterly outplayed by the best side I had seen that season and so far this.
Very surprised that you accepted his resignation, but I don't know any details other than the poor run you have been on of late.
I'm sure he would have got it right, but I guess it wasn't to be, I hope you find a decent replacement soon, but I think you'll have to go some to better him.
Good luck for the rest of the season anyway.
Thanks Alfie - your comments are appreciated. We do not usually see such erudite comments on this site! Good luck to Brighton for the rest of the season. A good friend is a season ticket holder down there and I enjoy my trips to Brighton, now you have a good ground!

Back to Watford & I guess we are all in shock. Some idiots had been calling for Zola's head but I am not convinced it is the right decision. We certainly do not need the Udinese Head Coach who has no experience of the Championship. Neither is Warnock or Holloway the answer!!
After Poyet we needed a like minded replacement to carry the style of football that as Brighton fans we have come to love. Oscar Garcia had no previous English football experience, let alone in the Championship. However, our chairman appointed him and after a tricky start, with many first team players injured,he has started to mould us into a decent side. I'm fairly sure most Watford fans want someone to come in and carry on the style that brought you success under Zola. I hope you get the replacement you all want, but if it's someone from abroad without experience of English football, it can work.
Spot on Alfie, I would say the majority of the Watford fans want exactly that. a manager that can carry on the style of football probably with a bit of added steel so that we can continue to enjoy some of the best football that we have seen for years. There will always be a few that want promotion at all costs, but I think if we end up with a Warnock, Holloway type of playing style then a) it wont work due to the fact we have a lot of foreign players and b) the fans will not accept the negative style of play that often goes with it and our crowds will suffer in the long term. The owners may take a pragmatic view of course and hire someone they think will get us promoted with an eye on replacing them quickly if we get to the Prem. (a la Southampton). Difficult to guess at the moment though.
[quote][p][bold]Alfie T[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]harrowboy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Alfie T[/bold] wrote: Brighton fan here. Just to say we came to your place and nicked a fortunate 1.0 win last season, then you embarked on an amazing turn around. When we played you at the Amex, we we're utterly outplayed by the best side I had seen that season and so far this. Very surprised that you accepted his resignation, but I don't know any details other than the poor run you have been on of late. I'm sure he would have got it right, but I guess it wasn't to be, I hope you find a decent replacement soon, but I think you'll have to go some to better him. Good luck for the rest of the season anyway.[/p][/quote]Thanks Alfie - your comments are appreciated. We do not usually see such erudite comments on this site! Good luck to Brighton for the rest of the season. A good friend is a season ticket holder down there and I enjoy my trips to Brighton, now you have a good ground! Back to Watford & I guess we are all in shock. Some idiots had been calling for Zola's head but I am not convinced it is the right decision. We certainly do not need the Udinese Head Coach who has no experience of the Championship. Neither is Warnock or Holloway the answer!![/p][/quote]After Poyet we needed a like minded replacement to carry the style of football that as Brighton fans we have come to love. Oscar Garcia had no previous English football experience, let alone in the Championship. However, our chairman appointed him and after a tricky start, with many first team players injured,he has started to mould us into a decent side. I'm fairly sure most Watford fans want someone to come in and carry on the style that brought you success under Zola. I hope you get the replacement you all want, but if it's someone from abroad without experience of English football, it can work.[/p][/quote]Spot on Alfie, I would say the majority of the Watford fans want exactly that. a manager that can carry on the style of football probably with a bit of added steel so that we can continue to enjoy some of the best football that we have seen for years. There will always be a few that want promotion at all costs, but I think if we end up with a Warnock, Holloway type of playing style then a) it wont work due to the fact we have a lot of foreign players and b) the fans will not accept the negative style of play that often goes with it and our crowds will suffer in the long term. The owners may take a pragmatic view of course and hire someone they think will get us promoted with an eye on replacing them quickly if we get to the Prem. (a la Southampton). Difficult to guess at the moment though. matey_from_brighton

9:53pm Mon 16 Dec 13

McClelland the Legend says...

1234566789 wrote:
The BestTrip2011 wrote:
HorshamHornet wrote:
Give it to hollowhead and you can have my season ticket back
Yep I wouldn't go either
Same. Was so glad we moved away from that dross we used to call football. Genuinely concerned about who will come in. Someone who has never managed in England before? What's the point. Usual suspects who set teams up to be physically dominant and show no footballing talent? No thanks. Surely only leaves Clarke and Di Matteo - would be fine with either of those but the guys would have a tough time convincing them of it
I can immediately think of 3 Watford Managers who had never managed in England before.
Brendan Rogers, Malky Mckay, and Sean Dyche. They haven't done bad, have they?
Paul Clement would be an excellent choice!
I would love it though if Gianfranco could be offered a post in some form of coaching capacity as an assistant, perhaps.
[quote][p][bold]1234566789[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The BestTrip2011[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]HorshamHornet[/bold] wrote: Give it to hollowhead and you can have my season ticket back[/p][/quote]Yep I wouldn't go either[/p][/quote]Same. Was so glad we moved away from that dross we used to call football. Genuinely concerned about who will come in. Someone who has never managed in England before? What's the point. Usual suspects who set teams up to be physically dominant and show no footballing talent? No thanks. Surely only leaves Clarke and Di Matteo - would be fine with either of those but the guys would have a tough time convincing them of it[/p][/quote]I can immediately think of 3 Watford Managers who had never managed in England before. Brendan Rogers, Malky Mckay, and Sean Dyche. They haven't done bad, have they? Paul Clement would be an excellent choice! I would love it though if Gianfranco could be offered a post in some form of coaching capacity as an assistant, perhaps. McClelland the Legend

10:46pm Mon 16 Dec 13

bert slater says...

thank gfz for reviving my football club i am very sorry to see him leave,who do i want for the next manager roberto would be my choice hollaway no thanks warnock rubbish they would take us backwards clarke my second choice its going to be a long season but we must support the club through this crisis thats all there is to say really just watch this space good luck to all you hornets supporters and thanks again ZOLA.
BERT SLATER
thank gfz for reviving my football club i am very sorry to see him leave,who do i want for the next manager roberto would be my choice hollaway no thanks warnock rubbish they would take us backwards clarke my second choice its going to be a long season but we must support the club through this crisis thats all there is to say really just watch this space good luck to all you hornets supporters and thanks again ZOLA. BERT SLATER bert slater

10:57pm Mon 16 Dec 13

gazmondo says...

i think thay might ask john eustace,zola wonted him to stay as a coach but he wonted to carry on playing. but he might come back if he was offered the managers job.
i think thay might ask john eustace,zola wonted him to stay as a coach but he wonted to carry on playing. but he might come back if he was offered the managers job. gazmondo

1:20am Tue 17 Dec 13

stewbyhorn says...

Alfie T wrote:
Brighton fan here. Just to say we came to your place and nicked a fortunate 1.0 win last season, then you embarked on an amazing turn around. When we played you at the Amex, we we're utterly outplayed by the best side I had seen that season and so far this.
Very surprised that you accepted his resignation, but I don't know any details other than the poor run you have been on of late.
I'm sure he would have got it right, but I guess it wasn't to be, I hope you find a decent replacement soon, but I think you'll have to go some to better him.
Good luck for the rest of the season anyway.
Thanks for the kind comments, I totally agree with your post and good luck for the rest of the season
[quote][p][bold]Alfie T[/bold] wrote: Brighton fan here. Just to say we came to your place and nicked a fortunate 1.0 win last season, then you embarked on an amazing turn around. When we played you at the Amex, we we're utterly outplayed by the best side I had seen that season and so far this. Very surprised that you accepted his resignation, but I don't know any details other than the poor run you have been on of late. I'm sure he would have got it right, but I guess it wasn't to be, I hope you find a decent replacement soon, but I think you'll have to go some to better him. Good luck for the rest of the season anyway.[/p][/quote]Thanks for the kind comments, I totally agree with your post and good luck for the rest of the season stewbyhorn

7:44am Tue 17 Dec 13

84AGAIN says...

Here's a wacky suggestion. Seems like it will not be long till he gets tired of the clubs owner and packs it in, give Mackay a go! And we promise we will not change the clubs colours or re name the club Watford Dominators.........
Here's a wacky suggestion. Seems like it will not be long till he gets tired of the clubs owner and packs it in, give Mackay a go! And we promise we will not change the clubs colours or re name the club Watford Dominators......... 84AGAIN

9:26am Tue 17 Dec 13

bristol hornet says...

The BestTrip2011 wrote:
I feel sick just at the mention of Hollowhead and Warncock's names being associated with Watford. Please no.
Feeling sick or not, these guys have proven records in the Championship, and they are the sort of guys we need.....love them or loathe them!

We certainly do not need another unheard of foreigner from the Pozzo camp who has no idea of what the Championship is all about!

How many foreign managers have ever won promo from the Championship?

I can tell you! It is just ONE, namely Roberto De Matteo.

I would not mind him taking over, if we can afford him, but for the rest from Europe and beyond.....you can stuff them!
[quote][p][bold]The BestTrip2011[/bold] wrote: I feel sick just at the mention of Hollowhead and Warncock's names being associated with Watford. Please no.[/p][/quote]Feeling sick or not, these guys have proven records in the Championship, and they are the sort of guys we need.....love them or loathe them! We certainly do not need another unheard of foreigner from the Pozzo camp who has no idea of what the Championship is all about! How many foreign managers have ever won promo from the Championship? I can tell you! It is just ONE, namely Roberto De Matteo. I would not mind him taking over, if we can afford him, but for the rest from Europe and beyond.....you can stuff them! bristol hornet

9:36am Tue 17 Dec 13

bristol hornet says...

smarkymark wrote:
Coydonn wrote:
NO WAY.....HOLLOWAY....


HOOFBALL MERCHANT...
Are you serious? Did you not see the way Blackpool played under Holloway?
Or the way Palace outplayed us at Wembley!

He got both Blackpool and Palace promoted and the football was not HOOTBALL at all! That belonged to Boofers, and him alone!

In fact it was pretty good stuff to watch IMHO.

Hollowhead wiould do a great job for us, and maybe even give us a late run at the play offs?
[quote][p][bold]smarkymark[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Coydonn[/bold] wrote: NO WAY.....HOLLOWAY.... HOOFBALL MERCHANT...[/p][/quote]Are you serious? Did you not see the way Blackpool played under Holloway?[/p][/quote]Or the way Palace outplayed us at Wembley! He got both Blackpool and Palace promoted and the football was not HOOTBALL at all! That belonged to Boofers, and him alone! In fact it was pretty good stuff to watch IMHO. Hollowhead wiould do a great job for us, and maybe even give us a late run at the play offs? bristol hornet

10:24am Tue 17 Dec 13

matey_from_brighton says...

bristol hornet wrote:
smarkymark wrote:
Coydonn wrote:
NO WAY.....HOLLOWAY....



HOOFBALL MERCHANT...
Are you serious? Did you not see the way Blackpool played under Holloway?
Or the way Palace outplayed us at Wembley!

He got both Blackpool and Palace promoted and the football was not HOOTBALL at all! That belonged to Boofers, and him alone!

In fact it was pretty good stuff to watch IMHO.

Hollowhead wiould do a great job for us, and maybe even give us a late run at the play offs?
yes maybe, but given his rant about our foreign players and the "loophole" it would stretch his credibility a bit wouldnt it? He would hardly start as a fans' favourite so would be on borrowed time from day 1. We dont like him, he doesnt like us - let's leave it that way.
[quote][p][bold]bristol hornet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smarkymark[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Coydonn[/bold] wrote: NO WAY.....HOLLOWAY.... HOOFBALL MERCHANT...[/p][/quote]Are you serious? Did you not see the way Blackpool played under Holloway?[/p][/quote]Or the way Palace outplayed us at Wembley! He got both Blackpool and Palace promoted and the football was not HOOTBALL at all! That belonged to Boofers, and him alone! In fact it was pretty good stuff to watch IMHO. Hollowhead wiould do a great job for us, and maybe even give us a late run at the play offs?[/p][/quote]yes maybe, but given his rant about our foreign players and the "loophole" it would stretch his credibility a bit wouldnt it? He would hardly start as a fans' favourite so would be on borrowed time from day 1. We dont like him, he doesnt like us - let's leave it that way. matey_from_brighton

10:55am Tue 17 Dec 13

brereton says...

Stan James are a poor marker for next manager markets. Skybet are in the know and their betting would suggest that Giuseppe Sannino will be the next Watford manager.
Stan James are a poor marker for next manager markets. Skybet are in the know and their betting would suggest that Giuseppe Sannino will be the next Watford manager. brereton

11:05am Tue 17 Dec 13

Watford Secretary says...

New lad called lachlan moore appeared to have sent details to watford and they are currently observing the progress he is new favourite i believe
New lad called lachlan moore appeared to have sent details to watford and they are currently observing the progress he is new favourite i believe Watford Secretary

11:39am Tue 17 Dec 13

1234566789 says...

McClelland the Legend wrote:
1234566789 wrote:
The BestTrip2011 wrote:
HorshamHornet wrote:
Give it to hollowhead and you can have my season ticket back
Yep I wouldn't go either
Same. Was so glad we moved away from that dross we used to call football. Genuinely concerned about who will come in. Someone who has never managed in England before? What's the point. Usual suspects who set teams up to be physically dominant and show no footballing talent? No thanks. Surely only leaves Clarke and Di Matteo - would be fine with either of those but the guys would have a tough time convincing them of it
I can immediately think of 3 Watford Managers who had never managed in England before.
Brendan Rogers, Malky Mckay, and Sean Dyche. They haven't done bad, have they?
Paul Clement would be an excellent choice!
I would love it though if Gianfranco could be offered a post in some form of coaching capacity as an assistant, perhaps.
OK, maybe "managed in England" was phrased incorrectly - the meaning was more "has no experience of English football"
[quote][p][bold]McClelland the Legend[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]1234566789[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The BestTrip2011[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]HorshamHornet[/bold] wrote: Give it to hollowhead and you can have my season ticket back[/p][/quote]Yep I wouldn't go either[/p][/quote]Same. Was so glad we moved away from that dross we used to call football. Genuinely concerned about who will come in. Someone who has never managed in England before? What's the point. Usual suspects who set teams up to be physically dominant and show no footballing talent? No thanks. Surely only leaves Clarke and Di Matteo - would be fine with either of those but the guys would have a tough time convincing them of it[/p][/quote]I can immediately think of 3 Watford Managers who had never managed in England before. Brendan Rogers, Malky Mckay, and Sean Dyche. They haven't done bad, have they? Paul Clement would be an excellent choice! I would love it though if Gianfranco could be offered a post in some form of coaching capacity as an assistant, perhaps.[/p][/quote]OK, maybe "managed in England" was phrased incorrectly - the meaning was more "has no experience of English football" 1234566789

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree