Watford Sunday League round-up

Watford Observer: Preparing to challenge: AFC Bushey (striped shirts) and Langleybury Cricket Club fought out a 1-1 draw on Sunday. Picture: Holly Cant Preparing to challenge: AFC Bushey (striped shirts) and Langleybury Cricket Club fought out a 1-1 draw on Sunday. Picture: Holly Cant

Herts Sunday Senior Cup Round Four

Three of the eight teams in the Herts Sunday Senior Cup quarter-finals will be from the Watford Sunday League after two more teams made it into the last eight on Sunday.

With St Josephs already through, Oakview didn't have to break sweat to join them after they were awarded a walkover against The Bridge House.

Eighth-placed Premier Division side Gadeside Rangers had a fine way to also make the quarter-finals, beating Finchley United 4-2 thanks to goals from Jay Evans, Adam Hills, Dave Rooney and Russ Popplewell.

Herts Sunday Intermediate Cup Round Four

The league started the day with seven clubs in the Intermediate County Cup and more success in the Herts knockout competitions saw five reach the last 16, one secure a replay in January and only one knocked out.

Mill End Sports had an excellent 3-1 away win at fancied Cheshunt Town with Mark Brownsell, Alex Simmons and Callum Lee on target.

FC Crescent comfortably progressed at the expense of Griftson United 4-1 as Dean Collum hit a hat-trick and Tyler Connor also netted.

Green Dragon were pushed all the way by Reed Rangers before they booked their place in the last 16 with a 3-2 victory through goals from Dave O'Sullivan, Dean Parratt and Luke O'Malley.

A Wayne Jackson effort was the difference as Rifle Volunteer edged a hard-fought tie against St Albans side Phoenix 1-0.

The victory was the tenth win in succession for Rifle, who go into the Christmas break still harbouring hopes of an unprecedented quadruple and knowing they have an exciting new year to look forward to.

The game started at a ferocious pace on a wet and slippery surface and it was the visiting side who had arguably the better of the early exchanges. But the Rifle back four were looking solid and untroubled by anything their opponents had to offer.

Volunteer gradually began to get a foothold in the game, and they managed to create the only clear-cut opportunity of the half when Mark Lomas pulled the ball back to an on-rushing Gary Froy, who saw his shot crash onto the bar.

The second half continued to be cagey and tense and it wasn't until the 84th minute that the deadlock was broken when substitutes Andy Lomas and Paul Skuse combined to set up Jackson, who did well to turn home a low cross at the near post.

Old Fullerians went through with a walkover against Old Barclavians while Victoria fought out a 2-2 draw against Rosedale with a goal for Jamie Beaumont and an own goal setting up a replay in early January.

The only league side to go out were Bushey Bimecc, who suffered a 5-1 defeat against the well-fancied Queens Head Sandridge. Paul Kenwright netted the consolation.

Premier Division

St Josephs returned to top spot thanks to a 6-1 thrashing at Hammer through a Sean Sonner brace and goals from Charlie Benning, Ben Cowen, Michael East and Sam Clarke. An own goal was Hammer's sole reply.

AFC Spartians moved a little further away from the lower regions of the table thanks to a 6-2 drubbing over Croxley Green Community Centre.

Liam Stapleton, Hugo Figueirdo and Callum McCarroll each scored with star man Tom Horton hitting a fine hat-trick for AFC. Andy Avis struck a double for Croxley.

Improving West Herts won 3-1 away to Bushey, who are now sixth after leading the table at one stage.

In an end-to-end encounter, the Stags took the lead just before half-time with Patryk Ogorek's fine strike from the edge of the penalty area.

Bushey equalised immediately after the restart through Ashley Harewood but within minutes Roger Lake put their opponents back in front.

Bushey pressed forward but the Stags defence remained resolute and right-back Jason Whyte scored the third to wrap up the points.

Division Two

Leaders Hammer Reserves recorded their tenth league win of the season as they ran riot against Sun Postal Sports, romping to a 15-2 victory.

The victors had one hat-trick star, five players each getting a couple and, to sum up Sports' predicament, two own goals.

Alan Dunton netted the treble, Henry Peters, Jack Bishop, Tom Ford, Mark Smith and Ben Dunton, with Sam Hakner and Luke Frey netting for Sun.

AFC Bushey fought out a 1-1 draw against Langleybury Cricket Club to leave both clubs lying in mid-table. Ryan Legge scored for AFC and Matt Honey for Langleybury.

Colne Valley's encounter with Hertsmere (Sunday) also ended 1-1.

Valley conceded a goal after just five minutes but weathered the early pressure to get back into the game but they couldn't convert any chances they created.

They might have conceded a second before the break but a free-kick came back off the crossbar.

Valley had more purpose in the second half and equalised on 55 minutes when a cross from Louis Collar Smith was turned into the net by a Hertsmere defender.

Although Hertsmere rattled the woodwork mid-way through the half, it was Valley who looked more likely to score. Andy Bisley had a chance to snatch the points but his shot crashed down off the bar and was cleared.

Division Three

Top played bottom as Rickmansworth Rovers had an easy 6-0 win over Racing Santandome.

A hat-trick from Bert Adams and further goals from Adam Seabrook and H Wallace left Ricky three points clear at the top.

Second-placed Oxhey Lions had an even more emphatic victory, crushing Shenley Wood away 12-1.

Liam Hanley and Joe Shepherd were in superb form in front of goal, netting five each, and Gav Shepherd and Steve Howard also notched. Dean Lewis scored for Shenley.

Amici were the more satisfied of the two sides after sharing four goals with Croxley FC Reserves.

Dan Dare and an own goal registered for Croxley as Chris Coleman scored twice for their opponents.

AFC Oddfellows beat Railway Arms 2-0 through Daniel Francis and Michael Lambert.

Division Four

Only top points separate the top four clubs after they played each on Sunday.

Third-placed North Watford lost to leaders Rickmansworth Athletic by the odd goal in three after an exciting contest.

Goals from Shane Kitts and Simon Lee just tipped the scales with a goal each as Shoaib Ali netted for North Watford.

Met Police (Bushey), in second, and third-placed Carpenders Park Rangers couldn't manage to score to go top after a goalless draw.

West Herts Reserves hammered Green Dragon Reserves 8-2 to continue their fine run of form.

Ian Geddes, Davan Desai, Cedric Felder and Rob Boarder (2) were on target for the Stags while new signing Chris Blundan came off the bench for the last 30 minutes and hit a hat-trick to complete the rout. George Degnan and Sean Mullins were Dragon's scorers.

West Watford just got the better of Sun Postal United 3-2 to keep them above their opponents.

Rizwan Ahmed, Ali Kazmi and Aamir Khan earned West Watford maximum points with Jerome Driscoll and Liam Coles replying.

Watford Town changed places with AFC Bushey Reserves, who won a close game 2-1 thanks to goals from Adam Tannion and Scott Mitchell. Mark Medlock scored for Watford.


Comments are closed on this article.


About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree