No time frame on Almen Abdi's Watford return but Tommie Hoban could be back soon

Watford Observer: Picture: Action Images Picture: Action Images

Watford's head of medical has reiterated there is still no time frame for Almen Abdi's return but says there is good news regarding Tommie Hoban.

Abdi has not played since August 31 due to a foot injury and initial hopes he would return in mid-September and then in early November were ended when he suffered minor set-backs.

Abdi is suffering with Plantar Fasciitis, which has resulted in the inflammation of his plantar.

The plantar fascia is a tough and flexible band of tissue that runs under the sole of the foot and connects the heel bone with the bones of the foot, acting as a kind of shock absorber.

The problem can occur through sudden damage or over months and years. It can cause tiny tears to develop inside the tissue of the plantar fascia and this can lead to it thickening, resulting in heel pain, and the surrounding tissue and heel bone can also sometimes become inflamed.

Abdi is still training most days but rarely with the rest of the Watford players.

The club were keen to stress several months ago that the previous set-backs suffered by Abdi meant they would not be issuing a time frame for the influential midfielder's return.

And yesterday (Thursday), Marco Cesarini, the Hornets' head of medical, said: "He hasn’t had any set-backs but it’s the kind of injury where for two days you can have improvement and then on the third day you have pain again or soreness.

"We have to take it step by step. It’s not easy because one day it can be good and the next day it can be worse. But there are some positives around him.

"We cannot predict when he will come back. We are still in the situation where we have to monitor the situation day by day.

"He can have small sessions but he cannot yet take part in a full session with the squad."

One player who is close to a return after long-term injury is Hoban.

Hoban became an integral part of the Hornets’ defence last season despite being just 19 years old, making 18 consecutive starts between late September and New Year’s Day.

The Republic of Ireland Under-19 international damaged his Achilles in January and although he returned for one game in February, he missed the rest of the season with the problem.

The Watford Academy graduate visited specialists across the world and it was decided he would have surgery in the USA in late April.

Cesarini said: "We are very happy about him. We are close and we think in the next two weeks he could join the squad for a full training session."

Watford have no fresh injury worries for tomorrow (Saturday's) match.

Fernando Forestieri is still out with a knee injury and so is Ikechi Anya, who has a groin problem.

Daniel Pudil will definitely miss the match with a hamstring injury while Davide Faraoni is also ruled out with an ankle problem.

Like Abdi and Hoban, Essaid Belkalem (ankle) is a long-term absentee.

Sannino said: "At the moment they (Forestieri and Anya) are not available for the next game because I need fully fit players.

"I don’t want to rush the players to be fit for one game and then have an injury because they came back maybe one day too early."

Comments (51)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:22am Fri 3 Jan 14

endean2 says...

I smell a rat here!

it may well be that those rumours are true,if I am critical of anything that
the Pozzos have done it would be the poor communication between
the club and supporters.
I hope that I do not have to add a series of lies to that.
I smell a rat here! it may well be that those rumours are true,if I am critical of anything that the Pozzos have done it would be the poor communication between the club and supporters. I hope that I do not have to add a series of lies to that. endean2

8:22am Fri 3 Jan 14

mellow yellow says...

At least they are being more realistic about Abdi now. Zola was unwise to keep giving us the tantalising 'close to returning' comments. But this is what most of us fear... No more Abdi. Though a different injury it reminds me of Nicky Wright, Ben Iroha and Kenny Jackett situations from the past. I hope I'm wrong but we may never see Abdi again. A real, real shame if so.

However, good news on Hoban. He was good under Zola, so should be even better under a coaching team with more defensive understanding and nous... Assuming his injury doesn't damage him too much mentally.
At least they are being more realistic about Abdi now. Zola was unwise to keep giving us the tantalising 'close to returning' comments. But this is what most of us fear... No more Abdi. Though a different injury it reminds me of Nicky Wright, Ben Iroha and Kenny Jackett situations from the past. I hope I'm wrong but we may never see Abdi again. A real, real shame if so. However, good news on Hoban. He was good under Zola, so should be even better under a coaching team with more defensive understanding and nous... Assuming his injury doesn't damage him too much mentally. mellow yellow

8:24am Fri 3 Jan 14

mellow yellow says...

endean2 wrote:
I smell a rat here!

it may well be that those rumours are true,if I am critical of anything that
the Pozzos have done it would be the poor communication between
the club and supporters.
I hope that I do not have to add a series of lies to that.
Do you want to add Pudil and Faraoni into the rumour mill then?!
[quote][p][bold]endean2[/bold] wrote: I smell a rat here! it may well be that those rumours are true,if I am critical of anything that the Pozzos have done it would be the poor communication between the club and supporters. I hope that I do not have to add a series of lies to that.[/p][/quote]Do you want to add Pudil and Faraoni into the rumour mill then?! mellow yellow

8:59am Fri 3 Jan 14

BlakeyJ says...

I think we need to (hopefully already have) plan for second half is the season without abdi, in don't think Zola was fibbing to boost morale, it sounds like it is an injury with an unknown recovery time, bones heal as expected generally, but thins injury seems to return, improve, return, worsen, improve, etc... Making it extremely hard to give an accurate return date.

With this new I really hope we can retain Thorne, he was excellent in his last few games and plays the enforcer role excellently. If he doesn't return I think that means that area is a bit light with iriney as only option.
I think we need to (hopefully already have) plan for second half is the season without abdi, in don't think Zola was fibbing to boost morale, it sounds like it is an injury with an unknown recovery time, bones heal as expected generally, but thins injury seems to return, improve, return, worsen, improve, etc... Making it extremely hard to give an accurate return date. With this new I really hope we can retain Thorne, he was excellent in his last few games and plays the enforcer role excellently. If he doesn't return I think that means that area is a bit light with iriney as only option. BlakeyJ

9:01am Fri 3 Jan 14

JohnnyBarnes says...

endean2 wrote:
I smell a rat here! it may well be that those rumours are true,if I am critical of anything that the Pozzos have done it would be the poor communication between the club and supporters. I hope that I do not have to add a series of lies to that.
I think that you should be grateful for their lack of communication.
Everyone whinged on here in the summer that no information was being released about tying down the loanees... and then they announced about ten... because they were busy sorting contracts rather than messing around with press releases.
I'd rather they just carried on getting on with their jobs to be honest - they're doing them rather well!
[quote][p][bold]endean2[/bold] wrote: I smell a rat here! it may well be that those rumours are true,if I am critical of anything that the Pozzos have done it would be the poor communication between the club and supporters. I hope that I do not have to add a series of lies to that.[/p][/quote]I think that you should be grateful for their lack of communication. Everyone whinged on here in the summer that no information was being released about tying down the loanees... and then they announced about ten... because they were busy sorting contracts rather than messing around with press releases. I'd rather they just carried on getting on with their jobs to be honest - they're doing them rather well! JohnnyBarnes

9:07am Fri 3 Jan 14

bristol hornet says...

I cannot believe how many injuries we have had since the Pozzo regime started!

If Dychey or Malky were in charge, do you think they would be worried about muscle imbalances and slight little knocks!!

Dychey has operated on a very small squad at Burnley, and has performed wonders with them.

British managers expect more from their players, but unfortunately Zola, and now Beppe, are ultra cautious in this area because they have a "large squad".
I cannot believe how many injuries we have had since the Pozzo regime started! If Dychey or Malky were in charge, do you think they would be worried about muscle imbalances and slight little knocks!! Dychey has operated on a very small squad at Burnley, and has performed wonders with them. British managers expect more from their players, but unfortunately Zola, and now Beppe, are ultra cautious in this area because they have a "large squad". bristol hornet

9:16am Fri 3 Jan 14

stevyweavy says...

Does not look promising for Saturday. Only one left or right wing back available (Cassetti) with Faroani, Pudil and Anya out injured whilst Bellerin back at Arsenal! Looks like we will be playing a flat back four of Doyley, Angella, Ekstrand and Cassetti then.
Does not look promising for Saturday. Only one left or right wing back available (Cassetti) with Faroani, Pudil and Anya out injured whilst Bellerin back at Arsenal! Looks like we will be playing a flat back four of Doyley, Angella, Ekstrand and Cassetti then. stevyweavy

9:18am Fri 3 Jan 14

ChrisG85 says...

Again, people are adding 2 & 2 together and geting 9630974. The injury has been explained. It is very complex and can return at any point. There have been accounts of users on here posting about themselves having it and backing this up. The signing of Merkel is our back up plan as Abdi will be out for a very long time if this doesn't clear up and surgery is the only option. How anyone can complain about the Pozzo family worrying "muscle imbalances and slight little knocks" is beyond me. They've seen McGinn, Nosworthy & Hoban through long periods of injury at probably a higher cost than previous owners could have. If "British" managers are expecting injured players to perform at their best then maybe we've got the right guys here. Why risk players who aren't 100%?
Again, people are adding 2 & 2 together and geting 9630974. The injury has been explained. It is very complex and can return at any point. There have been accounts of users on here posting about themselves having it and backing this up. The signing of Merkel is our back up plan as Abdi will be out for a very long time if this doesn't clear up and surgery is the only option. How anyone can complain about the Pozzo family worrying "muscle imbalances and slight little knocks" is beyond me. They've seen McGinn, Nosworthy & Hoban through long periods of injury at probably a higher cost than previous owners could have. If "British" managers are expecting injured players to perform at their best then maybe we've got the right guys here. Why risk players who aren't 100%? ChrisG85

9:27am Fri 3 Jan 14

endean2 says...

stevyweavy wrote:
Does not look promising for Saturday. Only one left or right wing back available (Cassetti) with Faroani, Pudil and Anya out injured whilst Bellerin back at Arsenal! Looks like we will be playing a flat back four of Doyley, Angella, Ekstrand and Cassetti then.
why not add Hall to that mix? probably the best defender of the lot.
[quote][p][bold]stevyweavy[/bold] wrote: Does not look promising for Saturday. Only one left or right wing back available (Cassetti) with Faroani, Pudil and Anya out injured whilst Bellerin back at Arsenal! Looks like we will be playing a flat back four of Doyley, Angella, Ekstrand and Cassetti then.[/p][/quote]why not add Hall to that mix? probably the best defender of the lot. endean2

9:31am Fri 3 Jan 14

Chris the Vic says...

Un fortunately Bristol I think you are wrong...over several years we have had players out both long term and in numbers.

I seriously believe that when you look at existing facilities we are severely lacking and maybe on a day to day basis we lack the real expertise.

To back this up look at the match facilities...they are minimal..for instance the ice bath only holds one player whereas at many premier rugby grounds they now have a series of cold rooms which take many more players at a time with greater control on timing and temperature with staggered temperatures. Our facilities are awful and make no mistake if Zola mentioned a comeback time for Abdi it was because he had been told. I know as a fact even when Almen was diagnosed correctly after a series of mistakes the whole club including the player expected him to be training fully at the start of December and playing before Christmas.

Yet again they were proved wrong and we were left disappointed.

Our medical set up needs a complete overhaul and some heavy investment including physios and greater medical expertise.

Maybe with the new stand the Pozzos will start to address this highly important part of the club. This will also help us get better players through the door, as players rate the back room support very highly.

As for British managers being less cautious than their foreign counterparts, unless the likes of Messi Piquet Alves etc are seriously injured when there is an important game they play much the same as City, United, Chelsea players etc and the stars play a lot more games than our guys did last year. A total of 51/52 competitive games where they were rotated until the play offs then if they were half fit they got played. Games like Bristol City away and Charlton at home cost us dear.

Anyway a postponed game at Yeovil and Bristol away gives us a lot of recovery time for the injured list...hopefully the quacks will use it well
Un fortunately Bristol I think you are wrong...over several years we have had players out both long term and in numbers. I seriously believe that when you look at existing facilities we are severely lacking and maybe on a day to day basis we lack the real expertise. To back this up look at the match facilities...they are minimal..for instance the ice bath only holds one player whereas at many premier rugby grounds they now have a series of cold rooms which take many more players at a time with greater control on timing and temperature with staggered temperatures. Our facilities are awful and make no mistake if Zola mentioned a comeback time for Abdi it was because he had been told. I know as a fact even when Almen was diagnosed correctly after a series of mistakes the whole club including the player expected him to be training fully at the start of December and playing before Christmas. Yet again they were proved wrong and we were left disappointed. Our medical set up needs a complete overhaul and some heavy investment including physios and greater medical expertise. Maybe with the new stand the Pozzos will start to address this highly important part of the club. This will also help us get better players through the door, as players rate the back room support very highly. As for British managers being less cautious than their foreign counterparts, unless the likes of Messi Piquet Alves etc are seriously injured when there is an important game they play much the same as City, United, Chelsea players etc and the stars play a lot more games than our guys did last year. A total of 51/52 competitive games where they were rotated until the play offs then if they were half fit they got played. Games like Bristol City away and Charlton at home cost us dear. Anyway a postponed game at Yeovil and Bristol away gives us a lot of recovery time for the injured list...hopefully the quacks will use it well Chris the Vic

9:34am Fri 3 Jan 14

peter10531089 says...

ChrisG85 wrote:
Again, people are adding 2 & 2 together and geting 9630974. The injury has been explained. It is very complex and can return at any point. There have been accounts of users on here posting about themselves having it and backing this up. The signing of Merkel is our back up plan as Abdi will be out for a very long time if this doesn't clear up and surgery is the only option. How anyone can complain about the Pozzo family worrying "muscle imbalances and slight little knocks" is beyond me. They've seen McGinn, Nosworthy & Hoban through long periods of injury at probably a higher cost than previous owners could have. If "British" managers are expecting injured players to perform at their best then maybe we've got the right guys here. Why risk players who aren't 100%?
Well said Chris - for someone in an earlier post to accuse the Pozzo's of (potentially) lying is ridiculous. If players are to leave or are injured it makes sense to keep your cards close to your chest as the pozzos will be undoubtedly be negotiating the purchase of other players - and it is better for them to do this from a position of strength (i.e strong existing squads).

Glad Tommy Hoban is coming back to fitness as it is great to see academy players come through especially now that the bar for entry to the first team squad has been raised.

Do however agree that the number of injuries seen under Zola's regime of training did seem very high - in many clubs the suggestion has been that the treatment room was too cosy an environment (and I am sure this is not the case for many of our players - especially Abdi) - cant see this being the case under Sannino moving forward as he seems certainly a stronger disciplinarian than Gianfranco.

Signings of Merkel and Ranegie when compared to signing of Iwelumo and Yates show the difference in resources between our current and past owners - oh and a new stand!!!!

COYH
[quote][p][bold]ChrisG85[/bold] wrote: Again, people are adding 2 & 2 together and geting 9630974. The injury has been explained. It is very complex and can return at any point. There have been accounts of users on here posting about themselves having it and backing this up. The signing of Merkel is our back up plan as Abdi will be out for a very long time if this doesn't clear up and surgery is the only option. How anyone can complain about the Pozzo family worrying "muscle imbalances and slight little knocks" is beyond me. They've seen McGinn, Nosworthy & Hoban through long periods of injury at probably a higher cost than previous owners could have. If "British" managers are expecting injured players to perform at their best then maybe we've got the right guys here. Why risk players who aren't 100%?[/p][/quote]Well said Chris - for someone in an earlier post to accuse the Pozzo's of (potentially) lying is ridiculous. If players are to leave or are injured it makes sense to keep your cards close to your chest as the pozzos will be undoubtedly be negotiating the purchase of other players - and it is better for them to do this from a position of strength (i.e strong existing squads). Glad Tommy Hoban is coming back to fitness as it is great to see academy players come through especially now that the bar for entry to the first team squad has been raised. Do however agree that the number of injuries seen under Zola's regime of training did seem very high - in many clubs the suggestion has been that the treatment room was too cosy an environment (and I am sure this is not the case for many of our players - especially Abdi) - cant see this being the case under Sannino moving forward as he seems certainly a stronger disciplinarian than Gianfranco. Signings of Merkel and Ranegie when compared to signing of Iwelumo and Yates show the difference in resources between our current and past owners - oh and a new stand!!!! COYH peter10531089

9:37am Fri 3 Jan 14

Abbotshorn says...

bristol hornet wrote:
I cannot believe how many injuries we have had since the Pozzo regime started!

If Dychey or Malky were in charge, do you think they would be worried about muscle imbalances and slight little knocks!!

Dychey has operated on a very small squad at Burnley, and has performed wonders with them.

British managers expect more from their players, but unfortunately Zola, and now Beppe, are ultra cautious in this area because they have a "large squad".
unfortunately this is the risk we take, the Pozzo model works on finding players who have been injured and they support them back, get them going then sell them, i'm not surprised we have so many injuries
[quote][p][bold]bristol hornet[/bold] wrote: I cannot believe how many injuries we have had since the Pozzo regime started! If Dychey or Malky were in charge, do you think they would be worried about muscle imbalances and slight little knocks!! Dychey has operated on a very small squad at Burnley, and has performed wonders with them. British managers expect more from their players, but unfortunately Zola, and now Beppe, are ultra cautious in this area because they have a "large squad".[/p][/quote]unfortunately this is the risk we take, the Pozzo model works on finding players who have been injured and they support them back, get them going then sell them, i'm not surprised we have so many injuries Abbotshorn

9:43am Fri 3 Jan 14

ForzaWatford says...

Of course we will see him again, it's not a career threatening injury.
I had this, it started in March '13 and I was playing football again in September.
I don't know why he is training though, I was told to rest my foot and do some stretches.
Don't worry I'm fine now!
Of course we will see him again, it's not a career threatening injury. I had this, it started in March '13 and I was playing football again in September. I don't know why he is training though, I was told to rest my foot and do some stretches. Don't worry I'm fine now! ForzaWatford

9:46am Fri 3 Jan 14

jsjf1979 says...

The Abdi injury is very difficult to predict when it will heal. This condition can last a year - it is likely that in this case he will not return until next summer unless the medical staff can get the rehabilitation right. Merkel will play a very similar role to Abdi and should provide us with some cutting edge in midfield and hopefully we can secure Thorne for the remainder of the season.

As for Fessi and Anya - they are both injured and will not be sold in mid-season when we are just outside the playoffs unless a ridiculous offer came in. Remember the Pozzo's model is to develop players and whilst both have improved considerably during their time with us there is still some way for them both to go before they mature their games and maximise their market value.
The Abdi injury is very difficult to predict when it will heal. This condition can last a year - it is likely that in this case he will not return until next summer unless the medical staff can get the rehabilitation right. Merkel will play a very similar role to Abdi and should provide us with some cutting edge in midfield and hopefully we can secure Thorne for the remainder of the season. As for Fessi and Anya - they are both injured and will not be sold in mid-season when we are just outside the playoffs unless a ridiculous offer came in. Remember the Pozzo's model is to develop players and whilst both have improved considerably during their time with us there is still some way for them both to go before they mature their games and maximise their market value. jsjf1979

9:47am Fri 3 Jan 14

Mickey Quinn, not so thin says...

ForzaWatford wrote:
Of course we will see him again, it's not a career threatening injury.
I had this, it started in March '13 and I was playing football again in September.
I don't know why he is training though, I was told to rest my foot and do some stretches.
Don't worry I'm fine now!
Good - we may need you for Saturday
[quote][p][bold]ForzaWatford[/bold] wrote: Of course we will see him again, it's not a career threatening injury. I had this, it started in March '13 and I was playing football again in September. I don't know why he is training though, I was told to rest my foot and do some stretches. Don't worry I'm fine now![/p][/quote]Good - we may need you for Saturday Mickey Quinn, not so thin

10:11am Fri 3 Jan 14

Bonser Out says...

At last the club have finally admitted the extent of Abdi's injury. As a fellow sufferer, I can say that there is no way that a return date can be proposed. I have been enduring Plantar Fasciitis for almost a year and I tend to get good days and bad days with it.

However, I am not a fit twenty something footballer with physiotherapists on call when required. I guess the fact that Merkel is on loan until the end of the season reflects the fact that the club do not expect Abdi to feature this year.

Hopefully, when the warmer weather arrives that will help as my foot aches more in the winter.
At last the club have finally admitted the extent of Abdi's injury. As a fellow sufferer, I can say that there is no way that a return date can be proposed. I have been enduring Plantar Fasciitis for almost a year and I tend to get good days and bad days with it. However, I am not a fit twenty something footballer with physiotherapists on call when required. I guess the fact that Merkel is on loan until the end of the season reflects the fact that the club do not expect Abdi to feature this year. Hopefully, when the warmer weather arrives that will help as my foot aches more in the winter. Bonser Out

10:15am Fri 3 Jan 14

Hornet Cornet says...

They should put Almunia as an outfield player and I'll go in goal. I'm so fat that nowt will get past me.

HC
They should put Almunia as an outfield player and I'll go in goal. I'm so fat that nowt will get past me. HC Hornet Cornet

10:30am Fri 3 Jan 14

HornetJJ says...

I am slightly concerened as to the Anya and Forestieri injuries as both players seemed fine during the Milwall game. I can understand knocks being picked up in training and during matches but for both of them to be out for as long as this does make me wonder. Maybe I'm just paranoid with it being the transfer window!
I am slightly concerened as to the Anya and Forestieri injuries as both players seemed fine during the Milwall game. I can understand knocks being picked up in training and during matches but for both of them to be out for as long as this does make me wonder. Maybe I'm just paranoid with it being the transfer window! HornetJJ

10:31am Fri 3 Jan 14

soulfulhornet says...

Sad about Almen as we do miss him and I am sure if he had been playing that we would be in or closer to the play-off positions. I think the owners/ management have taken the view that he is possibly out for the season, and any input from Abdi is a bonus hence Merkel's loan to us.

Of the others, if up to me, I would do the following:

Bellerin - keep as if Anya is in and out with minor injuries, we need Bellerin's pace. Good player - potentially Prem standard, yet to reach optimum with us.

Thorne - proven to be a good defensive midfielder more in tune with English game than Iriney. Still recovering from injury so should improve further. Of course the new WBA manager, when appointed, may have other ideas and not allow him on loan to us. May have to wait for that appointment.. Solid and unspectacular - every team needs one of those - McMahon/ Eustace etc.

McEachran - send back to Chelsea, Although a good player, think he is surplus to requirements with Merkel arriving and not physically strong enough for defensive midfield.

Forestieri - keep as he adds a different dimension in attack, good option to change things from the bench. He needs to be more of a team player, however, difficult game for teammates (and opposition) and himself to read. Not finished article.

Anya - keep his pace frightens teams. His distriibution and positional player needs work. Not yet a Prem quality player (which should be his aim). Will develop further and add to his value as a result.

Hall - re-sign on short term until the end of the season. His influence in the dressing room, let alone physical presence on the pitch makes him an important squad member and option, especially when the opposition have a big centre forward. Of course he may get offers from other Championship sides who would benefit from these qualities, so could be out of our hands.

Deeney - need his goals and all round striking skills. Unless we get a 20 goal season replacement immediately, must stay until May at least or the play-offs are out of reach. Links with other strikers in England are ridiculous as Pozzos will not outlay the £2-3m it would take. What price a Jordan Rhodes or Danny Ings - yes more than Deeney's worth.

Murray - the future, improving gradually. Also not reached full potential, remember teams like Spurs and Man City once interested, why sell to QPR/ Leeds or similar Championship rivals. Still think he could be a Prem player with the likes of Villa or Newcastle plus a full Ireland international (would add to value). Doesn't make sense to sell also on a long term contract.

Deeney, Murray, Forestieri and Anya have not reached their peak, therefore unless a silly offer is received, they should stay. The Pozzo model involves maximising the sale price by player improvement and development and then selling at the right time, which is not now.

Unlike previous owners since Sir Elton, the Pozzos regardless of what fans might think of them, do NOT have to sell in order to meet the bond payments, wages, the electricity bill etc. Watford is no longer the soft touch for other sides to cherry pick our best players at knock down prices. Long may that continue.
Sad about Almen as we do miss him and I am sure if he had been playing that we would be in or closer to the play-off positions. I think the owners/ management have taken the view that he is possibly out for the season, and any input from Abdi is a bonus hence Merkel's loan to us. Of the others, if up to me, I would do the following: Bellerin - keep as if Anya is in and out with minor injuries, we need Bellerin's pace. Good player - potentially Prem standard, yet to reach optimum with us. Thorne - proven to be a good defensive midfielder more in tune with English game than Iriney. Still recovering from injury so should improve further. Of course the new WBA manager, when appointed, may have other ideas and not allow him on loan to us. May have to wait for that appointment.. Solid and unspectacular - every team needs one of those - McMahon/ Eustace etc. McEachran - send back to Chelsea, Although a good player, think he is surplus to requirements with Merkel arriving and not physically strong enough for defensive midfield. Forestieri - keep as he adds a different dimension in attack, good option to change things from the bench. He needs to be more of a team player, however, difficult game for teammates (and opposition) and himself to read. Not finished article. Anya - keep his pace frightens teams. His distriibution and positional player needs work. Not yet a Prem quality player (which should be his aim). Will develop further and add to his value as a result. Hall - re-sign on short term until the end of the season. His influence in the dressing room, let alone physical presence on the pitch makes him an important squad member and option, especially when the opposition have a big centre forward. Of course he may get offers from other Championship sides who would benefit from these qualities, so could be out of our hands. Deeney - need his goals and all round striking skills. Unless we get a 20 goal season replacement immediately, must stay until May at least or the play-offs are out of reach. Links with other strikers in England are ridiculous as Pozzos will not outlay the £2-3m it would take. What price a Jordan Rhodes or Danny Ings - yes more than Deeney's worth. Murray - the future, improving gradually. Also not reached full potential, remember teams like Spurs and Man City once interested, why sell to QPR/ Leeds or similar Championship rivals. Still think he could be a Prem player with the likes of Villa or Newcastle plus a full Ireland international (would add to value). Doesn't make sense to sell also on a long term contract. Deeney, Murray, Forestieri and Anya have not reached their peak, therefore unless a silly offer is received, they should stay. The Pozzo model involves maximising the sale price by player improvement and development and then selling at the right time, which is not now. Unlike previous owners since Sir Elton, the Pozzos regardless of what fans might think of them, do NOT have to sell in order to meet the bond payments, wages, the electricity bill etc. Watford is no longer the soft touch for other sides to cherry pick our best players at knock down prices. Long may that continue. soulfulhornet

10:44am Fri 3 Jan 14

stevyweavy says...

endean2 wrote:
stevyweavy wrote:
Does not look promising for Saturday. Only one left or right wing back available (Cassetti) with Faroani, Pudil and Anya out injured whilst Bellerin back at Arsenal! Looks like we will be playing a flat back four of Doyley, Angella, Ekstrand and Cassetti then.
why not add Hall to that mix? probably the best defender of the lot.
Did not add Hall as he is not a wing back and besides he is out of contract with no signs at the moment that we are resigning him.
[quote][p][bold]endean2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevyweavy[/bold] wrote: Does not look promising for Saturday. Only one left or right wing back available (Cassetti) with Faroani, Pudil and Anya out injured whilst Bellerin back at Arsenal! Looks like we will be playing a flat back four of Doyley, Angella, Ekstrand and Cassetti then.[/p][/quote]why not add Hall to that mix? probably the best defender of the lot.[/p][/quote]Did not add Hall as he is not a wing back and besides he is out of contract with no signs at the moment that we are resigning him. stevyweavy

10:47am Fri 3 Jan 14

jsjf1979 says...

soulfulhornet wrote:
Sad about Almen as we do miss him and I am sure if he had been playing that we would be in or closer to the play-off positions. I think the owners/ management have taken the view that he is possibly out for the season, and any input from Abdi is a bonus hence Merkel's loan to us.

Of the others, if up to me, I would do the following:

Bellerin - keep as if Anya is in and out with minor injuries, we need Bellerin's pace. Good player - potentially Prem standard, yet to reach optimum with us.

Thorne - proven to be a good defensive midfielder more in tune with English game than Iriney. Still recovering from injury so should improve further. Of course the new WBA manager, when appointed, may have other ideas and not allow him on loan to us. May have to wait for that appointment.. Solid and unspectacular - every team needs one of those - McMahon/ Eustace etc.

McEachran - send back to Chelsea, Although a good player, think he is surplus to requirements with Merkel arriving and not physically strong enough for defensive midfield.

Forestieri - keep as he adds a different dimension in attack, good option to change things from the bench. He needs to be more of a team player, however, difficult game for teammates (and opposition) and himself to read. Not finished article.

Anya - keep his pace frightens teams. His distriibution and positional player needs work. Not yet a Prem quality player (which should be his aim). Will develop further and add to his value as a result.

Hall - re-sign on short term until the end of the season. His influence in the dressing room, let alone physical presence on the pitch makes him an important squad member and option, especially when the opposition have a big centre forward. Of course he may get offers from other Championship sides who would benefit from these qualities, so could be out of our hands.

Deeney - need his goals and all round striking skills. Unless we get a 20 goal season replacement immediately, must stay until May at least or the play-offs are out of reach. Links with other strikers in England are ridiculous as Pozzos will not outlay the £2-3m it would take. What price a Jordan Rhodes or Danny Ings - yes more than Deeney's worth.

Murray - the future, improving gradually. Also not reached full potential, remember teams like Spurs and Man City once interested, why sell to QPR/ Leeds or similar Championship rivals. Still think he could be a Prem player with the likes of Villa or Newcastle plus a full Ireland international (would add to value). Doesn't make sense to sell also on a long term contract.

Deeney, Murray, Forestieri and Anya have not reached their peak, therefore unless a silly offer is received, they should stay. The Pozzo model involves maximising the sale price by player improvement and development and then selling at the right time, which is not now.

Unlike previous owners since Sir Elton, the Pozzos regardless of what fans might think of them, do NOT have to sell in order to meet the bond payments, wages, the electricity bill etc. Watford is no longer the soft touch for other sides to cherry pick our best players at knock down prices. Long may that continue.
agree with all of the above. Still think Fessi should start most if not all games though as love watching him!
[quote][p][bold]soulfulhornet[/bold] wrote: Sad about Almen as we do miss him and I am sure if he had been playing that we would be in or closer to the play-off positions. I think the owners/ management have taken the view that he is possibly out for the season, and any input from Abdi is a bonus hence Merkel's loan to us. Of the others, if up to me, I would do the following: Bellerin - keep as if Anya is in and out with minor injuries, we need Bellerin's pace. Good player - potentially Prem standard, yet to reach optimum with us. Thorne - proven to be a good defensive midfielder more in tune with English game than Iriney. Still recovering from injury so should improve further. Of course the new WBA manager, when appointed, may have other ideas and not allow him on loan to us. May have to wait for that appointment.. Solid and unspectacular - every team needs one of those - McMahon/ Eustace etc. McEachran - send back to Chelsea, Although a good player, think he is surplus to requirements with Merkel arriving and not physically strong enough for defensive midfield. Forestieri - keep as he adds a different dimension in attack, good option to change things from the bench. He needs to be more of a team player, however, difficult game for teammates (and opposition) and himself to read. Not finished article. Anya - keep his pace frightens teams. His distriibution and positional player needs work. Not yet a Prem quality player (which should be his aim). Will develop further and add to his value as a result. Hall - re-sign on short term until the end of the season. His influence in the dressing room, let alone physical presence on the pitch makes him an important squad member and option, especially when the opposition have a big centre forward. Of course he may get offers from other Championship sides who would benefit from these qualities, so could be out of our hands. Deeney - need his goals and all round striking skills. Unless we get a 20 goal season replacement immediately, must stay until May at least or the play-offs are out of reach. Links with other strikers in England are ridiculous as Pozzos will not outlay the £2-3m it would take. What price a Jordan Rhodes or Danny Ings - yes more than Deeney's worth. Murray - the future, improving gradually. Also not reached full potential, remember teams like Spurs and Man City once interested, why sell to QPR/ Leeds or similar Championship rivals. Still think he could be a Prem player with the likes of Villa or Newcastle plus a full Ireland international (would add to value). Doesn't make sense to sell also on a long term contract. Deeney, Murray, Forestieri and Anya have not reached their peak, therefore unless a silly offer is received, they should stay. The Pozzo model involves maximising the sale price by player improvement and development and then selling at the right time, which is not now. Unlike previous owners since Sir Elton, the Pozzos regardless of what fans might think of them, do NOT have to sell in order to meet the bond payments, wages, the electricity bill etc. Watford is no longer the soft touch for other sides to cherry pick our best players at knock down prices. Long may that continue.[/p][/quote]agree with all of the above. Still think Fessi should start most if not all games though as love watching him! jsjf1979

10:48am Fri 3 Jan 14

bristol hornet says...

HornetJJ wrote:
I am slightly concerened as to the Anya and Forestieri injuries as both players seemed fine during the Milwall game. I can understand knocks being picked up in training and during matches but for both of them to be out for as long as this does make me wonder. Maybe I'm just paranoid with it being the transfer window!
I am not worried about the transfer window, as I believe both will stay.

What concerns me are these silly little niggling injuries, and the fact that Beppe will not play anyone unless they are 100 per cent fit!!!!

Imagine Dychey, Malky, Cloughie, Shankly, Fergie and the rest adopting this philosophy!!

Most players will get on the field if only 90 to 95 per cent fit, but the Pozzos/Zolas/Beppes of this world seem to want utopia........and all of this in the rugged world of the Championship!!
[quote][p][bold]HornetJJ[/bold] wrote: I am slightly concerened as to the Anya and Forestieri injuries as both players seemed fine during the Milwall game. I can understand knocks being picked up in training and during matches but for both of them to be out for as long as this does make me wonder. Maybe I'm just paranoid with it being the transfer window![/p][/quote]I am not worried about the transfer window, as I believe both will stay. What concerns me are these silly little niggling injuries, and the fact that Beppe will not play anyone unless they are 100 per cent fit!!!! Imagine Dychey, Malky, Cloughie, Shankly, Fergie and the rest adopting this philosophy!! Most players will get on the field if only 90 to 95 per cent fit, but the Pozzos/Zolas/Beppes of this world seem to want utopia........and all of this in the rugged world of the Championship!! bristol hornet

10:58am Fri 3 Jan 14

soulfulhornet says...

Agree jsjf1979, Fessi would be in starting eleven for many games, though his brilliance is inconsistent. In the hurly burly of the Championship, there are games where a more physical forward like Ranegie is required.

The point I was trying to make (badly), was that you need players on the bench that can change a game and Forestieri can do that, not sure Acuna or Fabbrini can to the same extent. Even when out of form, Forestieri gives you that.
Agree jsjf1979, Fessi would be in starting eleven for many games, though his brilliance is inconsistent. In the hurly burly of the Championship, there are games where a more physical forward like Ranegie is required. The point I was trying to make (badly), was that you need players on the bench that can change a game and Forestieri can do that, not sure Acuna or Fabbrini can to the same extent. Even when out of form, Forestieri gives you that. soulfulhornet

10:59am Fri 3 Jan 14

demerit says...

Abdi will never play for us again.
Abdi will never play for us again. demerit

11:08am Fri 3 Jan 14

soulfulhornet says...

demerit wrote:
Abdi will never play for us again.
On what basis do you say 'will' rather than 'may'. On what evidence, are you making such a definitive statement? Are you his doctor, agent, friend or do you have inside info from the club ? Or are you just guessing and being negative for the sake of it ?

I have no idea if he will or not, but those that suffer from the condition and posted have said recovery takes as long as it takes, but will happen in time. I'll take their first hand experience over surmising any day.
[quote][p][bold]demerit[/bold] wrote: Abdi will never play for us again.[/p][/quote]On what basis do you say 'will' rather than 'may'. On what evidence, are you making such a definitive statement? Are you his doctor, agent, friend or do you have inside info from the club ? Or are you just guessing and being negative for the sake of it ? I have no idea if he will or not, but those that suffer from the condition and posted have said recovery takes as long as it takes, but will happen in time. I'll take their first hand experience over surmising any day. soulfulhornet

11:15am Fri 3 Jan 14

Harry's Bar says...

demerit wrote:
Abdi will never play for us again.
Could you explain why because Plantar Fascitis can clear up at any time.
[quote][p][bold]demerit[/bold] wrote: Abdi will never play for us again.[/p][/quote]Could you explain why because Plantar Fascitis can clear up at any time. Harry's Bar

11:22am Fri 3 Jan 14

bristol hornet says...

demerit wrote:
Abdi will never play for us again.
Sadly, I tend to agree with you.

Great player, but injury prone, and will want to return home to finish his career.
[quote][p][bold]demerit[/bold] wrote: Abdi will never play for us again.[/p][/quote]Sadly, I tend to agree with you. Great player, but injury prone, and will want to return home to finish his career. bristol hornet

11:24am Fri 3 Jan 14

Mickey Quinn, not so thin says...

soulfulhornet wrote:
Agree jsjf1979, Fessi would be in starting eleven for many games, though his brilliance is inconsistent. In the hurly burly of the Championship, there are games where a more physical forward like Ranegie is required.

The point I was trying to make (badly), was that you need players on the bench that can change a game and Forestieri can do that, not sure Acuna or Fabbrini can to the same extent. Even when out of form, Forestieri gives you that.
Great to watch but Fessi needs to either score goals or create goals for others. He doesn't do this enough to be in the starting 11 for me but is a useful option from the bench if the new big man works out.
[quote][p][bold]soulfulhornet[/bold] wrote: Agree jsjf1979, Fessi would be in starting eleven for many games, though his brilliance is inconsistent. In the hurly burly of the Championship, there are games where a more physical forward like Ranegie is required. The point I was trying to make (badly), was that you need players on the bench that can change a game and Forestieri can do that, not sure Acuna or Fabbrini can to the same extent. Even when out of form, Forestieri gives you that.[/p][/quote]Great to watch but Fessi needs to either score goals or create goals for others. He doesn't do this enough to be in the starting 11 for me but is a useful option from the bench if the new big man works out. Mickey Quinn, not so thin

11:34am Fri 3 Jan 14

ChrisG85 says...

bristol hornet wrote:
demerit wrote: Abdi will never play for us again.
Sadly, I tend to agree with you. Great player, but injury prone, and will want to return home to finish his career.
I see you have ventured out from under your bridge, flooded is it? I'll take the bait though.

What a stupid statement. Injury prone? Yeah, ok. A complex injury that if aggravated can flare up at any time. It isn't just him that this effects, anyone that has suffered will tell you this. I'm so glad you're ITK about Abdi wanting to return home to finish his career. Please enlighten us some more.
[quote][p][bold]bristol hornet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]demerit[/bold] wrote: Abdi will never play for us again.[/p][/quote]Sadly, I tend to agree with you. Great player, but injury prone, and will want to return home to finish his career.[/p][/quote]I see you have ventured out from under your bridge, flooded is it? I'll take the bait though. What a stupid statement. Injury prone? Yeah, ok. A complex injury that if aggravated can flare up at any time. It isn't just him that this effects, anyone that has suffered will tell you this. I'm so glad you're ITK about Abdi wanting to return home to finish his career. Please enlighten us some more. ChrisG85

11:45am Fri 3 Jan 14

demerit says...

Harry's Bar wrote:
demerit wrote:
Abdi will never play for us again.
Could you explain why because Plantar Fascitis can clear up at any time.
May be but this one doesn't seem to be showing any signs of clearing up any time soon. Importantly, it will be the end of the season soon and other things will come into play. He will go back to Udinese then. My hunch, that's all.
[quote][p][bold]Harry's Bar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]demerit[/bold] wrote: Abdi will never play for us again.[/p][/quote]Could you explain why because Plantar Fascitis can clear up at any time.[/p][/quote]May be but this one doesn't seem to be showing any signs of clearing up any time soon. Importantly, it will be the end of the season soon and other things will come into play. He will go back to Udinese then. My hunch, that's all. demerit

12:01pm Fri 3 Jan 14

jsjf1979 says...

Mickey Quinn, not so thin wrote:
soulfulhornet wrote:
Agree jsjf1979, Fessi would be in starting eleven for many games, though his brilliance is inconsistent. In the hurly burly of the Championship, there are games where a more physical forward like Ranegie is required.

The point I was trying to make (badly), was that you need players on the bench that can change a game and Forestieri can do that, not sure Acuna or Fabbrini can to the same extent. Even when out of form, Forestieri gives you that.
Great to watch but Fessi needs to either score goals or create goals for others. He doesn't do this enough to be in the starting 11 for me but is a useful option from the bench if the new big man works out.
absolutely agree - but is one of those players that is just great to watch as you never know what he is going to do next! Needs to add more end product to his game though and we would have a seriously good player on our hands.

Think Ranegie (who looks like an absolute beast by the way - check some of his goals on youtube) will start with Deeney and we can see how that works. Hopefully he will take some of the pressure of troy who will be able to find some more space whilst defenders are otherwise occupied by our new (and hopefully improved) version of Iwelumo!
[quote][p][bold]Mickey Quinn, not so thin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]soulfulhornet[/bold] wrote: Agree jsjf1979, Fessi would be in starting eleven for many games, though his brilliance is inconsistent. In the hurly burly of the Championship, there are games where a more physical forward like Ranegie is required. The point I was trying to make (badly), was that you need players on the bench that can change a game and Forestieri can do that, not sure Acuna or Fabbrini can to the same extent. Even when out of form, Forestieri gives you that.[/p][/quote]Great to watch but Fessi needs to either score goals or create goals for others. He doesn't do this enough to be in the starting 11 for me but is a useful option from the bench if the new big man works out.[/p][/quote]absolutely agree - but is one of those players that is just great to watch as you never know what he is going to do next! Needs to add more end product to his game though and we would have a seriously good player on our hands. Think Ranegie (who looks like an absolute beast by the way - check some of his goals on youtube) will start with Deeney and we can see how that works. Hopefully he will take some of the pressure of troy who will be able to find some more space whilst defenders are otherwise occupied by our new (and hopefully improved) version of Iwelumo! jsjf1979

12:01pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Oracledave says...

bristol hornet wrote:
I cannot believe how many injuries we have had since the Pozzo regime started!

If Dychey or Malky were in charge, do you think they would be worried about muscle imbalances and slight little knocks!!

Dychey has operated on a very small squad at Burnley, and has performed wonders with them.

British managers expect more from their players, but unfortunately Zola, and now Beppe, are ultra cautious in this area because they have a "large squad".
The relative effectiveness of the Burnley and Watford approaches will only become apparent during the next 5 months when suspensions and attritional injuries kick in.
[quote][p][bold]bristol hornet[/bold] wrote: I cannot believe how many injuries we have had since the Pozzo regime started! If Dychey or Malky were in charge, do you think they would be worried about muscle imbalances and slight little knocks!! Dychey has operated on a very small squad at Burnley, and has performed wonders with them. British managers expect more from their players, but unfortunately Zola, and now Beppe, are ultra cautious in this area because they have a "large squad".[/p][/quote]The relative effectiveness of the Burnley and Watford approaches will only become apparent during the next 5 months when suspensions and attritional injuries kick in. Oracledave

12:13pm Fri 3 Jan 14

ChrisG85 says...

demerit wrote:
Harry's Bar wrote:
demerit wrote: Abdi will never play for us again.
Could you explain why because Plantar Fascitis can clear up at any time.
May be but this one doesn't seem to be showing any signs of clearing up any time soon. Importantly, it will be the end of the season soon and other things will come into play. He will go back to Udinese then. My hunch, that's all.
That's because you can not predict when this injury will clear up! The best option is not to over do it. If you do you are back at square one and lose all progress that has been made. Also, why will he go back to Udinese when he transferred here on a permanent deal?

If you are looking to wind people up with your statements at least put some effort and factual evidence into it. Gets boring otherwise.
[quote][p][bold]demerit[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Harry's Bar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]demerit[/bold] wrote: Abdi will never play for us again.[/p][/quote]Could you explain why because Plantar Fascitis can clear up at any time.[/p][/quote]May be but this one doesn't seem to be showing any signs of clearing up any time soon. Importantly, it will be the end of the season soon and other things will come into play. He will go back to Udinese then. My hunch, that's all.[/p][/quote]That's because you can not predict when this injury will clear up! The best option is not to over do it. If you do you are back at square one and lose all progress that has been made. Also, why will he go back to Udinese when he transferred here on a permanent deal? If you are looking to wind people up with your statements at least put some effort and factual evidence into it. Gets boring otherwise. ChrisG85

12:18pm Fri 3 Jan 14

melloyellow says...

i think medical team needs looking at other teams seems to get there players back lot quicker
i think medical team needs looking at other teams seems to get there players back lot quicker melloyellow

12:51pm Fri 3 Jan 14

WessexLad says...

stevyweavy wrote:
Does not look promising for Saturday. Only one left or right wing back available (Cassetti) with Faroani, Pudil and Anya out injured whilst Bellerin back at Arsenal! Looks like we will be playing a flat back four of Doyley, Angella, Ekstrand and Cassetti then.
On the contrary, it looks very promising - that we'll have another week in which to get the players fit.
[quote][p][bold]stevyweavy[/bold] wrote: Does not look promising for Saturday. Only one left or right wing back available (Cassetti) with Faroani, Pudil and Anya out injured whilst Bellerin back at Arsenal! Looks like we will be playing a flat back four of Doyley, Angella, Ekstrand and Cassetti then.[/p][/quote]On the contrary, it looks very promising - that we'll have another week in which to get the players fit. WessexLad

1:01pm Fri 3 Jan 14

demerit says...

ChrisG85 wrote:
demerit wrote:
Harry's Bar wrote:
demerit wrote: Abdi will never play for us again.
Could you explain why because Plantar Fascitis can clear up at any time.
May be but this one doesn't seem to be showing any signs of clearing up any time soon. Importantly, it will be the end of the season soon and other things will come into play. He will go back to Udinese then. My hunch, that's all.
That's because you can not predict when this injury will clear up! The best option is not to over do it. If you do you are back at square one and lose all progress that has been made. Also, why will he go back to Udinese when he transferred here on a permanent deal?

If you are looking to wind people up with your statements at least put some effort and factual evidence into it. Gets boring otherwise.
You are of course right re him being permanent but no need to get on your high horse matey....
[quote][p][bold]ChrisG85[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]demerit[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Harry's Bar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]demerit[/bold] wrote: Abdi will never play for us again.[/p][/quote]Could you explain why because Plantar Fascitis can clear up at any time.[/p][/quote]May be but this one doesn't seem to be showing any signs of clearing up any time soon. Importantly, it will be the end of the season soon and other things will come into play. He will go back to Udinese then. My hunch, that's all.[/p][/quote]That's because you can not predict when this injury will clear up! The best option is not to over do it. If you do you are back at square one and lose all progress that has been made. Also, why will he go back to Udinese when he transferred here on a permanent deal? If you are looking to wind people up with your statements at least put some effort and factual evidence into it. Gets boring otherwise.[/p][/quote]You are of course right re him being permanent but no need to get on your high horse matey.... demerit

1:03pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Harry's Bar says...

ChrisG85 wrote:
demerit wrote:
Harry's Bar wrote:
demerit wrote: Abdi will never play for us again.
Could you explain why because Plantar Fascitis can clear up at any time.
May be but this one doesn't seem to be showing any signs of clearing up any time soon. Importantly, it will be the end of the season soon and other things will come into play. He will go back to Udinese then. My hunch, that's all.
That's because you can not predict when this injury will clear up! The best option is not to over do it. If you do you are back at square one and lose all progress that has been made. Also, why will he go back to Udinese when he transferred here on a permanent deal?

If you are looking to wind people up with your statements at least put some effort and factual evidence into it. Gets boring otherwise.
.... and also resist the temptation to make lots of predictions in the knowledge that eventually one must come true.
[quote][p][bold]ChrisG85[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]demerit[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Harry's Bar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]demerit[/bold] wrote: Abdi will never play for us again.[/p][/quote]Could you explain why because Plantar Fascitis can clear up at any time.[/p][/quote]May be but this one doesn't seem to be showing any signs of clearing up any time soon. Importantly, it will be the end of the season soon and other things will come into play. He will go back to Udinese then. My hunch, that's all.[/p][/quote]That's because you can not predict when this injury will clear up! The best option is not to over do it. If you do you are back at square one and lose all progress that has been made. Also, why will he go back to Udinese when he transferred here on a permanent deal? If you are looking to wind people up with your statements at least put some effort and factual evidence into it. Gets boring otherwise.[/p][/quote].... and also resist the temptation to make lots of predictions in the knowledge that eventually one must come true. Harry's Bar

1:10pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Bringe says...

I had plantar faciitis or rather I still have it several years later, though to a much lesser degree. Believe me, it really was crippling at first.
My feet still hurt after a long day on site but I manage with doubled up gel insoles for my work boots and my havaianas' at home (despite the wooden/tiled floors throughout) ... No I can't see Almen playing in flip flops but surely custom made football boots could help lengthen his career? I say this because from experience it will come back if he carries on with the same ones as before. Then it comes down to resting his feet when he isn't playing and to a degree, pain management when he is because a certain amount of discomfort will always be there ... Unfortunately you just have to get on with life or you end up a couch potato as I nearly did.
I had plantar faciitis or rather I still have it several years later, though to a much lesser degree. Believe me, it really was crippling at first. My feet still hurt after a long day on site but I manage with doubled up gel insoles for my work boots and my havaianas' at home (despite the wooden/tiled floors throughout) ... No I can't see Almen playing in flip flops but surely custom made football boots could help lengthen his career? I say this because from experience it will come back if he carries on with the same ones as before. Then it comes down to resting his feet when he isn't playing and to a degree, pain management when he is because a certain amount of discomfort will always be there ... Unfortunately you just have to get on with life or you end up a couch potato as I nearly did. Bringe

2:09pm Fri 3 Jan 14

soulfulhornet says...

From the comments of those afflicted with this condition, it appears that rest and the avoidance of putting undue pressure on the foot are the best cures, allowing father time to expedite recovery. With the arrival of Merkel, the re-emergence of Murray and the admittedly inconsistent McGugan, we can allow Almen that time and space. And don't forget Battochio.

I think we all recognise the importance that Abdi's contribution made to last season's success and his absence has been a major factor in our faltering during the autumn. Getting him back has at time been more a cry of desparation, both from us fans and from Gianfranco.

If he is not fit, why would he go back to Udinese, where he was far from a regular. And when he does recover, surely he would prefer to stay at a club where his skills and contribution are appreciated. His transfer value, given the nature of the injury, must be minimal so the Pozzos would not profit much from a quick sale. Or are the doomongers saying his football career is over ?
From the comments of those afflicted with this condition, it appears that rest and the avoidance of putting undue pressure on the foot are the best cures, allowing father time to expedite recovery. With the arrival of Merkel, the re-emergence of Murray and the admittedly inconsistent McGugan, we can allow Almen that time and space. And don't forget Battochio. I think we all recognise the importance that Abdi's contribution made to last season's success and his absence has been a major factor in our faltering during the autumn. Getting him back has at time been more a cry of desparation, both from us fans and from Gianfranco. If he is not fit, why would he go back to Udinese, where he was far from a regular. And when he does recover, surely he would prefer to stay at a club where his skills and contribution are appreciated. His transfer value, given the nature of the injury, must be minimal so the Pozzos would not profit much from a quick sale. Or are the doomongers saying his football career is over ? soulfulhornet

3:28pm Fri 3 Jan 14

lutondown says...

Chris the Vic wrote:
Un fortunately Bristol I think you are wrong...over several years we have had players out both long term and in numbers.

I seriously believe that when you look at existing facilities we are severely lacking and maybe on a day to day basis we lack the real expertise.

To back this up look at the match facilities...they are minimal..for instance the ice bath only holds one player whereas at many premier rugby grounds they now have a series of cold rooms which take many more players at a time with greater control on timing and temperature with staggered temperatures. Our facilities are awful and make no mistake if Zola mentioned a comeback time for Abdi it was because he had been told. I know as a fact even when Almen was diagnosed correctly after a series of mistakes the whole club including the player expected him to be training fully at the start of December and playing before Christmas.

Yet again they were proved wrong and we were left disappointed.

Our medical set up needs a complete overhaul and some heavy investment including physios and greater medical expertise.

Maybe with the new stand the Pozzos will start to address this highly important part of the club. This will also help us get better players through the door, as players rate the back room support very highly.

As for British managers being less cautious than their foreign counterparts, unless the likes of Messi Piquet Alves etc are seriously injured when there is an important game they play much the same as City, United, Chelsea players etc and the stars play a lot more games than our guys did last year. A total of 51/52 competitive games where they were rotated until the play offs then if they were half fit they got played. Games like Bristol City away and Charlton at home cost us dear.

Anyway a postponed game at Yeovil and Bristol away gives us a lot of recovery time for the injured list...hopefully the quacks will use it well
Yeah bring back Bas.. We'd be really swimming now. Have a good look at what we've got eh?
[quote][p][bold]Chris the Vic[/bold] wrote: Un fortunately Bristol I think you are wrong...over several years we have had players out both long term and in numbers. I seriously believe that when you look at existing facilities we are severely lacking and maybe on a day to day basis we lack the real expertise. To back this up look at the match facilities...they are minimal..for instance the ice bath only holds one player whereas at many premier rugby grounds they now have a series of cold rooms which take many more players at a time with greater control on timing and temperature with staggered temperatures. Our facilities are awful and make no mistake if Zola mentioned a comeback time for Abdi it was because he had been told. I know as a fact even when Almen was diagnosed correctly after a series of mistakes the whole club including the player expected him to be training fully at the start of December and playing before Christmas. Yet again they were proved wrong and we were left disappointed. Our medical set up needs a complete overhaul and some heavy investment including physios and greater medical expertise. Maybe with the new stand the Pozzos will start to address this highly important part of the club. This will also help us get better players through the door, as players rate the back room support very highly. As for British managers being less cautious than their foreign counterparts, unless the likes of Messi Piquet Alves etc are seriously injured when there is an important game they play much the same as City, United, Chelsea players etc and the stars play a lot more games than our guys did last year. A total of 51/52 competitive games where they were rotated until the play offs then if they were half fit they got played. Games like Bristol City away and Charlton at home cost us dear. Anyway a postponed game at Yeovil and Bristol away gives us a lot of recovery time for the injured list...hopefully the quacks will use it well[/p][/quote]Yeah bring back Bas.. We'd be really swimming now. Have a good look at what we've got eh? lutondown

4:04pm Fri 3 Jan 14

demerit says...

Harry's Bar wrote:
ChrisG85 wrote:
demerit wrote:
Harry's Bar wrote:
demerit wrote: Abdi will never play for us again.
Could you explain why because Plantar Fascitis can clear up at any time.
May be but this one doesn't seem to be showing any signs of clearing up any time soon. Importantly, it will be the end of the season soon and other things will come into play. He will go back to Udinese then. My hunch, that's all.
That's because you can not predict when this injury will clear up! The best option is not to over do it. If you do you are back at square one and lose all progress that has been made. Also, why will he go back to Udinese when he transferred here on a permanent deal?

If you are looking to wind people up with your statements at least put some effort and factual evidence into it. Gets boring otherwise.
.... and also resist the temptation to make lots of predictions in the knowledge that eventually one must come true.
I'm not always right but I am very rarely wrong....
[quote][p][bold]Harry's Bar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ChrisG85[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]demerit[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Harry's Bar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]demerit[/bold] wrote: Abdi will never play for us again.[/p][/quote]Could you explain why because Plantar Fascitis can clear up at any time.[/p][/quote]May be but this one doesn't seem to be showing any signs of clearing up any time soon. Importantly, it will be the end of the season soon and other things will come into play. He will go back to Udinese then. My hunch, that's all.[/p][/quote]That's because you can not predict when this injury will clear up! The best option is not to over do it. If you do you are back at square one and lose all progress that has been made. Also, why will he go back to Udinese when he transferred here on a permanent deal? If you are looking to wind people up with your statements at least put some effort and factual evidence into it. Gets boring otherwise.[/p][/quote].... and also resist the temptation to make lots of predictions in the knowledge that eventually one must come true.[/p][/quote]I'm not always right but I am very rarely wrong.... demerit

4:08pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Dunderdale Pinner says...

Re Abdi, As I said in a post in November When an England Rugby player suffered a similar injury the report said he would be out for six months. So I do not expect Abdi to return before March, end feb at the earliest. Good news about Hoban. It is no good making players play if they are not 100 % fit. I for one do not mind the medical staff only giving out information when there is really something to say. We are lucky to have a large squad so can afford to wait for full fitness.
Re Abdi, As I said in a post in November When an England Rugby player suffered a similar injury the report said he would be out for six months. So I do not expect Abdi to return before March, end feb at the earliest. Good news about Hoban. It is no good making players play if they are not 100 % fit. I for one do not mind the medical staff only giving out information when there is really something to say. We are lucky to have a large squad so can afford to wait for full fitness. Dunderdale Pinner

5:04pm Fri 3 Jan 14

PozzoHornet says...

Mickey Quinn, not so thin wrote:
soulfulhornet wrote:
Agree jsjf1979, Fessi would be in starting eleven for many games, though his brilliance is inconsistent. In the hurly burly of the Championship, there are games where a more physical forward like Ranegie is required.

The point I was trying to make (badly), was that you need players on the bench that can change a game and Forestieri can do that, not sure Acuna or Fabbrini can to the same extent. Even when out of form, Forestieri gives you that.
Great to watch but Fessi needs to either score goals or create goals for others. He doesn't do this enough to be in the starting 11 for me but is a useful option from the bench if the new big man works out.
Forestieri creates and scores more Fabbrini and Acuna put together! Who would you rather we play upfront? He helps connect the midfield to the attack. Deeney can do this but is not as dynamic as Forestieri and we don't know whether Ranegie is even good yet. Forestieri firmly remains in the starting 11 for me. Ranegie and Deeney both upfront in the same team sounds very much like the potential strike partnership of a team like West Ham or Stoke.
[quote][p][bold]Mickey Quinn, not so thin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]soulfulhornet[/bold] wrote: Agree jsjf1979, Fessi would be in starting eleven for many games, though his brilliance is inconsistent. In the hurly burly of the Championship, there are games where a more physical forward like Ranegie is required. The point I was trying to make (badly), was that you need players on the bench that can change a game and Forestieri can do that, not sure Acuna or Fabbrini can to the same extent. Even when out of form, Forestieri gives you that.[/p][/quote]Great to watch but Fessi needs to either score goals or create goals for others. He doesn't do this enough to be in the starting 11 for me but is a useful option from the bench if the new big man works out.[/p][/quote]Forestieri creates and scores more Fabbrini and Acuna put together! Who would you rather we play upfront? He helps connect the midfield to the attack. Deeney can do this but is not as dynamic as Forestieri and we don't know whether Ranegie is even good yet. Forestieri firmly remains in the starting 11 for me. Ranegie and Deeney both upfront in the same team sounds very much like the potential strike partnership of a team like West Ham or Stoke. PozzoHornet

6:05pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Ronny oh Ronny Ronny says...

BlakeyJ wrote:
I think we need to (hopefully already have) plan for second half is the season without abdi, in don't think Zola was fibbing to boost morale, it sounds like it is an injury with an unknown recovery time, bones heal as expected generally, but thins injury seems to return, improve, return, worsen, improve, etc... Making it extremely hard to give an accurate return date.

With this new I really hope we can retain Thorne, he was excellent in his last few games and plays the enforcer role excellently. If he doesn't return I think that means that area is a bit light with iriney as only option.
I think you will find that's why we signed Merkel
[quote][p][bold]BlakeyJ[/bold] wrote: I think we need to (hopefully already have) plan for second half is the season without abdi, in don't think Zola was fibbing to boost morale, it sounds like it is an injury with an unknown recovery time, bones heal as expected generally, but thins injury seems to return, improve, return, worsen, improve, etc... Making it extremely hard to give an accurate return date. With this new I really hope we can retain Thorne, he was excellent in his last few games and plays the enforcer role excellently. If he doesn't return I think that means that area is a bit light with iriney as only option.[/p][/quote]I think you will find that's why we signed Merkel Ronny oh Ronny Ronny

6:24pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Dr.Hackenbush says...

bristol hornet wrote:
HornetJJ wrote:
I am slightly concerened as to the Anya and Forestieri injuries as both players seemed fine during the Milwall game. I can understand knocks being picked up in training and during matches but for both of them to be out for as long as this does make me wonder. Maybe I'm just paranoid with it being the transfer window!
I am not worried about the transfer window, as I believe both will stay.

What concerns me are these silly little niggling injuries, and the fact that Beppe will not play anyone unless they are 100 per cent fit!!!!

Imagine Dychey, Malky, Cloughie, Shankly, Fergie and the rest adopting this philosophy!!

Most players will get on the field if only 90 to 95 per cent fit, but the Pozzos/Zolas/Beppes of this world seem to want utopia........and all of this in the rugged world of the Championship!!
Absolute nonsense. No self respecting manager at a decent club will risk players with injuries, even minor. By all means express your opinion on football matters but on medical issues, probably best to keep your counsel - you won't know best at any time soon.
[quote][p][bold]bristol hornet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]HornetJJ[/bold] wrote: I am slightly concerened as to the Anya and Forestieri injuries as both players seemed fine during the Milwall game. I can understand knocks being picked up in training and during matches but for both of them to be out for as long as this does make me wonder. Maybe I'm just paranoid with it being the transfer window![/p][/quote]I am not worried about the transfer window, as I believe both will stay. What concerns me are these silly little niggling injuries, and the fact that Beppe will not play anyone unless they are 100 per cent fit!!!! Imagine Dychey, Malky, Cloughie, Shankly, Fergie and the rest adopting this philosophy!! Most players will get on the field if only 90 to 95 per cent fit, but the Pozzos/Zolas/Beppes of this world seem to want utopia........and all of this in the rugged world of the Championship!![/p][/quote]Absolute nonsense. No self respecting manager at a decent club will risk players with injuries, even minor. By all means express your opinion on football matters but on medical issues, probably best to keep your counsel - you won't know best at any time soon. Dr.Hackenbush

6:29pm Fri 3 Jan 14

1234566789 says...

HornetJJ wrote:
I am slightly concerened as to the Anya and Forestieri injuries as both players seemed fine during the Milwall game. I can understand knocks being picked up in training and during matches but for both of them to be out for as long as this does make me wonder. Maybe I'm just paranoid with it being the transfer window!
It's been 8 days....
[quote][p][bold]HornetJJ[/bold] wrote: I am slightly concerened as to the Anya and Forestieri injuries as both players seemed fine during the Milwall game. I can understand knocks being picked up in training and during matches but for both of them to be out for as long as this does make me wonder. Maybe I'm just paranoid with it being the transfer window![/p][/quote]It's been 8 days.... 1234566789

6:53pm Fri 3 Jan 14

PozzoHornet says...

I think the reason we had more injuries under Zola is his type of management. From the sounds of it, he isn't the kind of guy who would have his team doing laps and working on fitness all that much in pre-season or training. Due to that, we've had loads muscle strains and niggly little injuries that can't be ignored or else they will get worse. Those injuries are always the result of poor fitness and muscle conditioning. Beppe will hopefully rectify this.
I think the reason we had more injuries under Zola is his type of management. From the sounds of it, he isn't the kind of guy who would have his team doing laps and working on fitness all that much in pre-season or training. Due to that, we've had loads muscle strains and niggly little injuries that can't be ignored or else they will get worse. Those injuries are always the result of poor fitness and muscle conditioning. Beppe will hopefully rectify this. PozzoHornet

11:17pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Stoney77 says...

demerit wrote:
Abdi will never play for us again.
zzzzzzzzzzzzz....... is this 'fact' obtained from another one of your reliable "sources"?
[quote][p][bold]demerit[/bold] wrote: Abdi will never play for us again.[/p][/quote]zzzzzzzzzzzzz....... is this 'fact' obtained from another one of your reliable "sources"? Stoney77

7:45pm Sat 4 Jan 14

Nick El Greco says...

bristol hornet wrote:
demerit wrote:
Abdi will never play for us again.
Sadly, I tend to agree with you.

Great player, but injury prone, and will want to return home to finish his career.
he's 37 for heaven's sake. What do you mean 'finish his career' he's not even in his prime yet.
[quote][p][bold]bristol hornet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]demerit[/bold] wrote: Abdi will never play for us again.[/p][/quote]Sadly, I tend to agree with you. Great player, but injury prone, and will want to return home to finish his career.[/p][/quote]he's 37 for heaven's sake. What do you mean 'finish his career' he's not even in his prime yet. Nick El Greco

7:45pm Sat 4 Jan 14

Nick El Greco says...

bristol hornet wrote:
demerit wrote:
Abdi will never play for us again.
Sadly, I tend to agree with you.

Great player, but injury prone, and will want to return home to finish his career.
he's 37 for heaven's sake. What do you mean 'finish his career' he's not even in his prime yet.
[quote][p][bold]bristol hornet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]demerit[/bold] wrote: Abdi will never play for us again.[/p][/quote]Sadly, I tend to agree with you. Great player, but injury prone, and will want to return home to finish his career.[/p][/quote]he's 37 for heaven's sake. What do you mean 'finish his career' he's not even in his prime yet. Nick El Greco

7:46pm Sat 4 Jan 14

Nick El Greco says...

finger trouble, 27
finger trouble, 27 Nick El Greco

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree