Vote for your Watford man of the match as the Hornets beat Bristol City 2-0 in FA Cup third round replay

Watford Observer: Joel Ekstrand with Bristol City's Brendan Moloney. Picture: Action Images Joel Ekstrand with Bristol City's Brendan Moloney. Picture: Action Images

Watford booked their place in the FA Cup fourth round with a 2-0 win over Bristol City but who was your Hornets man of the match at Vicarage Road?

Gabriele Angella was a rock at the heart of the Golden Boys' defence, organising and directing his teammates while providing a firm base from which attacks were often started.

Joel Ekstrand was also impressive at the back, notably making a crucial interception at 1-0 to deny Bobby Reid a simple finish from close range on the stroke of half-time.

Davide Faraoni got into some dangerous positions with his determined running down the right and he scored the all-important opening goal in the first half.

Jonathan Bond made a handful of important saves, not least to prevent Sam Baldock from opening the scoring just two minutes into the match.

Or perhaps there was another player who you felt stood out for Watford? If so, vote 'Other' and make your views known in the comment section below.

 

Comments (29)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:38am Wed 15 Jan 14

Summer breeze says...

Not a fan of Iriney, but thought he played a blinder last night! Therefore my vote is for him. (also thought Fitz Hall did well).
Not a fan of Iriney, but thought he played a blinder last night! Therefore my vote is for him. (also thought Fitz Hall did well). Summer breeze
  • Score: 26

8:04am Wed 15 Jan 14

Surbiton says...

Come on Wobbly, give us a box alongside "Other" to nominate the player we want?! My player? Fitz Hall. He reads the game so well and takes decisive action when required. You could feel the calmness flow through the team when Abdi came on. Oh how we have missed him!
Come on Wobbly, give us a box alongside "Other" to nominate the player we want?! My player? Fitz Hall. He reads the game so well and takes decisive action when required. You could feel the calmness flow through the team when Abdi came on. Oh how we have missed him! Surbiton
  • Score: 23

8:40am Wed 15 Jan 14

Bigads123 says...

Hall or Iriney
Hall or Iriney Bigads123
  • Score: 16

8:47am Wed 15 Jan 14

Boxhorn says...

Can't disagree with the above. But it was Agella by a mile for me
Can't disagree with the above. But it was Agella by a mile for me Boxhorn
  • Score: 9

8:51am Wed 15 Jan 14

JonBoy says...

Abdi for simply coming on but for performance it has to be Hall
Abdi for simply coming on but for performance it has to be Hall JonBoy
  • Score: 11

8:53am Wed 15 Jan 14

bristol hornet says...

Bigads123 wrote:
Hall or Iriney
Why were these two not listed?

Either or both, were MOTM.
[quote][p][bold]Bigads123[/bold] wrote: Hall or Iriney[/p][/quote]Why were these two not listed? Either or both, were MOTM. bristol hornet
  • Score: 15

9:00am Wed 15 Jan 14

LutonHornet says...

Fitz Hall was my Man of the Match. Looked really solid and reliable at the heart of the defence. Am amazed he was not on the list, what game were you watching?
Fitz Hall was my Man of the Match. Looked really solid and reliable at the heart of the defence. Am amazed he was not on the list, what game were you watching? LutonHornet
  • Score: 11

9:01am Wed 15 Jan 14

Man from Pinner says...

Can understand Angella being on list and maybe Bond but for me the MOM was either Iriney or Hall.
Can understand Angella being on list and maybe Bond but for me the MOM was either Iriney or Hall. Man from Pinner
  • Score: 14

9:07am Wed 15 Jan 14

HunsburyHornet4 says...

Totally agree with previous comments. For me, Hall just edged it from Iriney. But only just.
Totally agree with previous comments. For me, Hall just edged it from Iriney. But only just. HunsburyHornet4
  • Score: 7

9:12am Wed 15 Jan 14

The BestTrip2011 says...

'Other' must be an anagram of Fitz Hall cos he was by far MOTM. Was the person at the WO who posted this article not at the game?
'Other' must be an anagram of Fitz Hall cos he was by far MOTM. Was the person at the WO who posted this article not at the game? The BestTrip2011
  • Score: 9

9:13am Wed 15 Jan 14

stevyweavy says...

Come on Wobbly, either give us the whole team list to choose from or at least have someone at the game that knows something about football to come up with the list.

My choice would be Iriney for his second half performance or Hall for his full match performance closely followed by Angella, Ekstrand and Bond.
Come on Wobbly, either give us the whole team list to choose from or at least have someone at the game that knows something about football to come up with the list. My choice would be Iriney for his second half performance or Hall for his full match performance closely followed by Angella, Ekstrand and Bond. stevyweavy
  • Score: 12

9:25am Wed 15 Jan 14

Bush Hornet says...

Iriney! Iriney! Iriney!
Iriney! Iriney! Iriney! Bush Hornet
  • Score: 14

9:51am Wed 15 Jan 14

thepriceisnickywright says...

Bond for me. Stopped us going behind at key times and played well considering he hasn't played in a while. Can see him pushing Almunia for No. 1 for the rest of the season.
Bond for me. Stopped us going behind at key times and played well considering he hasn't played in a while. Can see him pushing Almunia for No. 1 for the rest of the season. thepriceisnickywright
  • Score: 12

10:29am Wed 15 Jan 14

johnhornet says...

I thought the 'Orns won 2-0. Sort out the headline!
I thought the 'Orns won 2-0. Sort out the headline! johnhornet
  • Score: 9

10:36am Wed 15 Jan 14

Stoney77 says...

Man of the match: Bond for me too. Kept us in the game.

Tw4t of the match: The drunken **** sat behind me in the Rookery; from the VERY first minute shouting at the top of his voice, moaning, telling the team they weren't good enough. Every other word was effin....not to mention dropping in the c word every minute or so.

Mate of mine told him to shut up, this didn't go down well! Lots of threats of violence from drunken lightweight and declarations that no one tells him what to do or say - fact is, they obviously do as he shut up a lot after that.

In the second half he was declaring that he was bang up for some action after the game and said he really wanted a 'Bristol City c....' to say something to him after in the street so he had reason to punch the f....er'.

What a total helmet.
Man of the match: Bond for me too. Kept us in the game. Tw4t of the match: The drunken **** sat behind me in the Rookery; from the VERY first minute shouting at the top of his voice, moaning, telling the team they weren't good enough. Every other word was effin....not to mention dropping in the c word every minute or so. Mate of mine told him to shut up, this didn't go down well! Lots of threats of violence from drunken lightweight and declarations that no one tells him what to do or say - fact is, they obviously do as he shut up a lot after that. In the second half he was declaring that he was bang up for some action after the game and said he really wanted a 'Bristol City c....' to say something to him after in the street so he had reason to punch the f....er'. What a total helmet. Stoney77
  • Score: 21

10:54am Wed 15 Jan 14

jasonwatford says...

Hall and Angella. When Abdi came on the ball moved faster and there was a calmness around all the players..The man is God
Hall and Angella. When Abdi came on the ball moved faster and there was a calmness around all the players..The man is God jasonwatford
  • Score: 14

11:07am Wed 15 Jan 14

gloryhornet4 says...

To the Bristol City players who should disrespect to Watford when they were drawn to play them in the Cup - hope you learn some manners now you have been put in your place - F A Cup Round One next season.
To the Bristol City players who should disrespect to Watford when they were drawn to play them in the Cup - hope you learn some manners now you have been put in your place - F A Cup Round One next season. gloryhornet4
  • Score: 13

11:09am Wed 15 Jan 14

Dunderdale Pinner says...

Nothing to choose between Fitz Hall and Angella. Agree Bond's saves kept us in the match, especially the first one. Again we did not come out of the blocks quickly enough and spent the first 5/10 minutes on the back foot. It was good to see Ekstrand also have a good game and moving and passing forward. Welcome to Almen Abdi. Hope he has no adverse reaction and can play for longer ion the next match. COYH
Nothing to choose between Fitz Hall and Angella. Agree Bond's saves kept us in the match, especially the first one. Again we did not come out of the blocks quickly enough and spent the first 5/10 minutes on the back foot. It was good to see Ekstrand also have a good game and moving and passing forward. Welcome to Almen Abdi. Hope he has no adverse reaction and can play for longer ion the next match. COYH Dunderdale Pinner
  • Score: 6

11:10am Wed 15 Jan 14

gloryhornet4 says...

Stoney77 wrote:
Man of the match: Bond for me too. Kept us in the game.

Tw4t of the match: The drunken **** sat behind me in the Rookery; from the VERY first minute shouting at the top of his voice, moaning, telling the team they weren't good enough. Every other word was effin....not to mention dropping in the c word every minute or so.

Mate of mine told him to shut up, this didn't go down well! Lots of threats of violence from drunken lightweight and declarations that no one tells him what to do or say - fact is, they obviously do as he shut up a lot after that.

In the second half he was declaring that he was bang up for some action after the game and said he really wanted a 'Bristol City c....' to say something to him after in the street so he had reason to punch the f....er'.

What a total helmet.
Stoney - need to report the helmet to the stewards/police. Don't need the gate receipts from the likes of that guy.

The helmet needs to dry out and dry up.
[quote][p][bold]Stoney77[/bold] wrote: Man of the match: Bond for me too. Kept us in the game. Tw4t of the match: The drunken **** sat behind me in the Rookery; from the VERY first minute shouting at the top of his voice, moaning, telling the team they weren't good enough. Every other word was effin....not to mention dropping in the c word every minute or so. Mate of mine told him to shut up, this didn't go down well! Lots of threats of violence from drunken lightweight and declarations that no one tells him what to do or say - fact is, they obviously do as he shut up a lot after that. In the second half he was declaring that he was bang up for some action after the game and said he really wanted a 'Bristol City c....' to say something to him after in the street so he had reason to punch the f....er'. What a total helmet.[/p][/quote]Stoney - need to report the helmet to the stewards/police. Don't need the gate receipts from the likes of that guy. The helmet needs to dry out and dry up. gloryhornet4
  • Score: 9

1:06pm Wed 15 Jan 14

rayman01 says...

Spot on - bigger cheers for Abdi than for the goals. The man has such great touch - can thread a forward pass into space! Wonderful. Might get in World Cup squad for Switzerland if he stays fit. Thought Faraoni and Iriney put alot of hard work last night. Hopefully first shoots of our recovery. Luv the Horns!
Spot on - bigger cheers for Abdi than for the goals. The man has such great touch - can thread a forward pass into space! Wonderful. Might get in World Cup squad for Switzerland if he stays fit. Thought Faraoni and Iriney put alot of hard work last night. Hopefully first shoots of our recovery. Luv the Horns! rayman01
  • Score: 8

1:15pm Wed 15 Jan 14

Anunemus says...

bristol hornet wrote:
Bigads123 wrote: Hall or Iriney
Why were these two not listed? Either or both, were MOTM.
Because this is the Watford Observer...
[quote][p][bold]bristol hornet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bigads123[/bold] wrote: Hall or Iriney[/p][/quote]Why were these two not listed? Either or both, were MOTM.[/p][/quote]Because this is the Watford Observer... Anunemus
  • Score: 3

1:18pm Wed 15 Jan 14

Anunemus says...

Stoney77 wrote:
Man of the match: Bond for me too. Kept us in the game. Tw4t of the match: The drunken **** sat behind me in the Rookery; from the VERY first minute shouting at the top of his voice, moaning, telling the team they weren't good enough. Every other word was effin....not to mention dropping in the c word every minute or so. Mate of mine told him to shut up, this didn't go down well! Lots of threats of violence from drunken lightweight and declarations that no one tells him what to do or say - fact is, they obviously do as he shut up a lot after that. In the second half he was declaring that he was bang up for some action after the game and said he really wanted a 'Bristol City c....' to say something to him after in the street so he had reason to punch the f....er'. What a total helmet.
I hope you reported him! That's the only way to rid the ground of idiots like this.
[quote][p][bold]Stoney77[/bold] wrote: Man of the match: Bond for me too. Kept us in the game. Tw4t of the match: The drunken **** sat behind me in the Rookery; from the VERY first minute shouting at the top of his voice, moaning, telling the team they weren't good enough. Every other word was effin....not to mention dropping in the c word every minute or so. Mate of mine told him to shut up, this didn't go down well! Lots of threats of violence from drunken lightweight and declarations that no one tells him what to do or say - fact is, they obviously do as he shut up a lot after that. In the second half he was declaring that he was bang up for some action after the game and said he really wanted a 'Bristol City c....' to say something to him after in the street so he had reason to punch the f....er'. What a total helmet.[/p][/quote]I hope you reported him! That's the only way to rid the ground of idiots like this. Anunemus
  • Score: 6

1:37pm Wed 15 Jan 14

rousman 2 says...

close between Angella & Iriney for me.
close between Angella & Iriney for me. rousman 2
  • Score: 4

2:27pm Wed 15 Jan 14

Stoney77 says...

gloryhornet4 wrote:
Stoney77 wrote:
Man of the match: Bond for me too. Kept us in the game.

Tw4t of the match: The drunken **** sat behind me in the Rookery; from the VERY first minute shouting at the top of his voice, moaning, telling the team they weren't good enough. Every other word was effin....not to mention dropping in the c word every minute or so.

Mate of mine told him to shut up, this didn't go down well! Lots of threats of violence from drunken lightweight and declarations that no one tells him what to do or say - fact is, they obviously do as he shut up a lot after that.

In the second half he was declaring that he was bang up for some action after the game and said he really wanted a 'Bristol City c....' to say something to him after in the street so he had reason to punch the f....er'.

What a total helmet.
Stoney - need to report the helmet to the stewards/police. Don't need the gate receipts from the likes of that guy.

The helmet needs to dry out and dry up.
You're right, we don't need gate receipts from the like but not sure what reporting him would have done though? Can you get chucked out for swearing? Yes there were verbal handbags etc but my mate wasn't exactly choice with his words nor polite with his request for the **** to shut up!... He merely said out aloud what everyone within earshot of this bloke must've been thinking!
The guy just needs to learn that he obviously can't handle his drink, shame his mates can't tell him to calm down as they were all 'on it' too but there was only one foul mouthed, whinging idiot annoying everyone else around him.
Felt sorry for the dad's sat their with their young boys and the women too: No need to repeatedly use the c word in public .
[quote][p][bold]gloryhornet4[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stoney77[/bold] wrote: Man of the match: Bond for me too. Kept us in the game. Tw4t of the match: The drunken **** sat behind me in the Rookery; from the VERY first minute shouting at the top of his voice, moaning, telling the team they weren't good enough. Every other word was effin....not to mention dropping in the c word every minute or so. Mate of mine told him to shut up, this didn't go down well! Lots of threats of violence from drunken lightweight and declarations that no one tells him what to do or say - fact is, they obviously do as he shut up a lot after that. In the second half he was declaring that he was bang up for some action after the game and said he really wanted a 'Bristol City c....' to say something to him after in the street so he had reason to punch the f....er'. What a total helmet.[/p][/quote]Stoney - need to report the helmet to the stewards/police. Don't need the gate receipts from the likes of that guy. The helmet needs to dry out and dry up.[/p][/quote]You're right, we don't need gate receipts from the like but not sure what reporting him would have done though? Can you get chucked out for swearing? Yes there were verbal handbags etc but my mate wasn't exactly choice with his words nor polite with his request for the **** to shut up!... He merely said out aloud what everyone within earshot of this bloke must've been thinking! The guy just needs to learn that he obviously can't handle his drink, shame his mates can't tell him to calm down as they were all 'on it' too but there was only one foul mouthed, whinging idiot annoying everyone else around him. Felt sorry for the dad's sat their with their young boys and the women too: No need to repeatedly use the c word in public . Stoney77
  • Score: 8

3:00pm Wed 15 Jan 14

longcliffe says...

How can anyone choose out of those dreadful players, what an awful choice.
How can anyone choose out of those dreadful players, what an awful choice. longcliffe
  • Score: -15

3:59pm Wed 15 Jan 14

mellow yellow says...

rayman01 wrote:
Spot on - bigger cheers for Abdi than for the goals. The man has such great touch - can thread a forward pass into space! Wonderful. Might get in World Cup squad for Switzerland if he stays fit. Thought Faraoni and Iriney put alot of hard work last night. Hopefully first shoots of our recovery. Luv the Horns!
The joy of watching Abdi is he always knows what to do with the ball before he even has it. The cog in our entire creative process, and by far THE most significant player in the current squad. So great to have him back. In the words of my nine year old 'Great news, now we can take it up a bit more'. He's not wrong, is he?
[quote][p][bold]rayman01[/bold] wrote: Spot on - bigger cheers for Abdi than for the goals. The man has such great touch - can thread a forward pass into space! Wonderful. Might get in World Cup squad for Switzerland if he stays fit. Thought Faraoni and Iriney put alot of hard work last night. Hopefully first shoots of our recovery. Luv the Horns![/p][/quote]The joy of watching Abdi is he always knows what to do with the ball before he even has it. The cog in our entire creative process, and by far THE most significant player in the current squad. So great to have him back. In the words of my nine year old 'Great news, now we can take it up a bit more'. He's not wrong, is he? mellow yellow
  • Score: 9

3:59pm Wed 15 Jan 14

thepriceisnickywright says...

longcliffe wrote:
How can anyone choose out of those dreadful players, what an awful choice.
Do us all a favour and get off this page longcliffe
[quote][p][bold]longcliffe[/bold] wrote: How can anyone choose out of those dreadful players, what an awful choice.[/p][/quote]Do us all a favour and get off this page longcliffe thepriceisnickywright
  • Score: 13

5:23pm Wed 15 Jan 14

gloryhornet4 says...

Stoney77 wrote:
gloryhornet4 wrote:
Stoney77 wrote:
Man of the match: Bond for me too. Kept us in the game.

Tw4t of the match: The drunken **** sat behind me in the Rookery; from the VERY first minute shouting at the top of his voice, moaning, telling the team they weren't good enough. Every other word was effin....not to mention dropping in the c word every minute or so.

Mate of mine told him to shut up, this didn't go down well! Lots of threats of violence from drunken lightweight and declarations that no one tells him what to do or say - fact is, they obviously do as he shut up a lot after that.

In the second half he was declaring that he was bang up for some action after the game and said he really wanted a 'Bristol City c....' to say something to him after in the street so he had reason to punch the f....er'.

What a total helmet.
Stoney - need to report the helmet to the stewards/police. Don't need the gate receipts from the likes of that guy.

The helmet needs to dry out and dry up.
You're right, we don't need gate receipts from the like but not sure what reporting him would have done though? Can you get chucked out for swearing? Yes there were verbal handbags etc but my mate wasn't exactly choice with his words nor polite with his request for the **** to shut up!... He merely said out aloud what everyone within earshot of this bloke must've been thinking!
The guy just needs to learn that he obviously can't handle his drink, shame his mates can't tell him to calm down as they were all 'on it' too but there was only one foul mouthed, whinging idiot annoying everyone else around him.
Felt sorry for the dad's sat their with their young boys and the women too: No need to repeatedly use the c word in public .
With you all the way. Easy for me to say report the helmet as I was not there I know. You have got lots of thumbs up for your posts.

The consensus is with us - the club does not need the guys gate receipts and as you say women and children don't need his company.

Using the c word should be enough to get him chucked out by the police as a public order issue.
[quote][p][bold]Stoney77[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]gloryhornet4[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Stoney77[/bold] wrote: Man of the match: Bond for me too. Kept us in the game. Tw4t of the match: The drunken **** sat behind me in the Rookery; from the VERY first minute shouting at the top of his voice, moaning, telling the team they weren't good enough. Every other word was effin....not to mention dropping in the c word every minute or so. Mate of mine told him to shut up, this didn't go down well! Lots of threats of violence from drunken lightweight and declarations that no one tells him what to do or say - fact is, they obviously do as he shut up a lot after that. In the second half he was declaring that he was bang up for some action after the game and said he really wanted a 'Bristol City c....' to say something to him after in the street so he had reason to punch the f....er'. What a total helmet.[/p][/quote]Stoney - need to report the helmet to the stewards/police. Don't need the gate receipts from the likes of that guy. The helmet needs to dry out and dry up.[/p][/quote]You're right, we don't need gate receipts from the like but not sure what reporting him would have done though? Can you get chucked out for swearing? Yes there were verbal handbags etc but my mate wasn't exactly choice with his words nor polite with his request for the **** to shut up!... He merely said out aloud what everyone within earshot of this bloke must've been thinking! The guy just needs to learn that he obviously can't handle his drink, shame his mates can't tell him to calm down as they were all 'on it' too but there was only one foul mouthed, whinging idiot annoying everyone else around him. Felt sorry for the dad's sat their with their young boys and the women too: No need to repeatedly use the c word in public .[/p][/quote]With you all the way. Easy for me to say report the helmet as I was not there I know. You have got lots of thumbs up for your posts. The consensus is with us - the club does not need the guys gate receipts and as you say women and children don't need his company. Using the c word should be enough to get him chucked out by the police as a public order issue. gloryhornet4
  • Score: 8

6:15pm Wed 15 Jan 14

gloryhornet4 says...

thepriceisnickywrigh
t
wrote:
longcliffe wrote:
How can anyone choose out of those dreadful players, what an awful choice.
Do us all a favour and get off this page longcliffe
longcliffe - let me guess you don't have a life and you don't have any friends.
[quote][p][bold]thepriceisnickywrigh t[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]longcliffe[/bold] wrote: How can anyone choose out of those dreadful players, what an awful choice.[/p][/quote]Do us all a favour and get off this page longcliffe[/p][/quote]longcliffe - let me guess you don't have a life and you don't have any friends. gloryhornet4
  • Score: 6

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree