West Herts men dropped points in a 1-1 draw away at Chelmsford in East Premier A but were let off the hook as their nearest rivals Harleston also only managed to draw against Blueharts.

West Herts broke the deadlock just two minutes before half-time when a wide pass to Max Webster created enough space for him to cross into the “D” for Dan Scott to run in and deflect under the advancing keeper.

After the break, the home side rallied and eventually, Chelmsford broke their duck from a short corner.

Chelmsford lost two players to temporary suspensions for bad tackles in the second period but still the Stags were unable to find a winner.

The men take on Blueharts at the New Field this weekend, knowing there is little room for error at this stage of the season.

There was also a disappointing result for the ladies who went down 3-1 at Cambridge City after a poor performance in the East Premier.

The men’s seconds’ slender hopes of survival in Division One became even more so after they lost 6-1 at home to St Ives.

Herts took the lead when Robin Willis robbed a St Ives defender and slipped the ball to Mike Tempest, who squared past the keeper for Pete Corbridge to slot into an open net.

Stags’ lead was soon cancelled out when the visitors netted via a deflection, and then scored two more to lead 3-1 at the break.

Skipper Matt Corbridge talked himself into a yellow card, and with only ten men, West Herts conceded three more goals.

The men’s thirds are still in the frame to go up from Division 3SW after they saw off Bishop’s Stortford seconds 3-2 at the New Field. The Herts goals came from William Anderson, James Hay and skipper Rob Gabriel.

Ross Taylor’s two goals weren’t enough to prevent West Herts fourths losing 4-2 to Vauxhall. The fifth team snatched a late win as they beat St Albans fifths 2-1 at Oaklands.

Ralph Darvill cancelled out a well struck short corner goal by the home side and Sherwin Moral found the target with only three minutes left on the clock to seal the win.

The sixths beat Shefford & Sandy thirds 2-1 away from home. Jamie Coltman slotted home the opener and after the home side equalised, Sam Giles found a winner.