Watford boss says Burnley's success raises an important question for Championship clubs

Watford Observer: Sannino says Burnley success raises a question Sannino says Burnley success raises a question

Beppe Sannino believes Burnley’s promotion push this season raises the question of whether Championship clubs need large squads to achieve success.

Burnley, who are managed by ex-Watford boss Sean Dyche, are nine points clear of third-place Queens Park Rangers with seven games remaining.

The Clarets have sustained their automatic promotion charge with a settled side. Only 11 players have started more than ten times in the league this season. In comparison, 15 Watford players have been in the starting XI on more than ten occasions.

Burnley have used just 21 players in the Championship and for leaders Leicester City it is 23. In contrast, Watford have given 36 players a run-out and the top two’s nearest rivals QPR have used 32.

Watford’s head coach paid respect to Dyche and said he is a “quality manager” who deserves the success he has achieved.

He recognised the impressive job Dyche did at Vicarage Road and disagreed with the suggestion that managers want to prove a point when returning to their old clubs.

Sannino went on to say: “I am not surprised by the job he (Dyche) has done because he is a good quality manager.

“The surprise has been the minutes his players have played. There are eight or nine [outfield] players who always play, which is not easy to do.

“Burnley have shown everybody that it doesn’t matter if you have a large squad because with 13 or 14 players Dyche has picked up 79 points.

“This could be a matter for reflection; to raise questions. Do we need a larger squad?”

Danny Ings and Sam Vokes have scored 20 league goals apiece to maintain Burnley’s promotion challenge but Sannino’s comments, ironically, come at a time when both players are set to miss the Watford game due to injury.

Vokes suffered a serious knee injury during the 2-0 defeat to Leicester City and Ings is still recovering from an ankle problem and is likely to miss the trip to Hertfordshire.

Ashley Barnes, signed from Brighton & Hove Albion in January, is Burnley’s only fit, recognised striker.

But Sannino said: “When you miss players, you always have players who come in who are not tired and are fresh. So it [Ings and Vokes’ injuries] won’t make too much of a difference.

“Burnley are a compact and aggressive team where there is not just one player who is very good. Burnley’s players are at the same level and they are a team. This is the main strength of Burnley.”

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:14am Fri 4 Apr 14

Mickey Quinn, not so thin says...

36 players is ridiculous. But if we had a smaller squad and a settled first team, with fewer loans and perm signings, how would Nani justify his salary ?
36 players is ridiculous. But if we had a smaller squad and a settled first team, with fewer loans and perm signings, how would Nani justify his salary ? Mickey Quinn, not so thin
  • Score: -4

10:30am Fri 4 Apr 14

endean2 says...

I have never known a squad of Watford players that has been
"tinkered" around with in all my many years.Would love some informed
insight in regards to what exactly is our team selection policy

That is not even bringing into discussion the LOANEES we have
brought in to the club.Seriously this must be resolved before the start of next season as we have created our own problems with this action.
Right 3 points on Saturday, wish I was there but prior commitments!!
I have never known a squad of Watford players that has been "tinkered" around with in all my many years.Would love some informed insight in regards to what exactly is our team selection policy That is not even bringing into discussion the LOANEES we have brought in to the club.Seriously this must be resolved before the start of next season as we have created our own problems with this action. Right 3 points on Saturday, wish I was there but prior commitments!! endean2
  • Score: -8

10:42am Fri 4 Apr 14

JohnnyBarnes says...

Not sure it raises a question so much as answers one
Not sure it raises a question so much as answers one JohnnyBarnes
  • Score: 9

10:43am Fri 4 Apr 14

hornetwise says...

endean2 wrote:
I have never known a squad of Watford players that has been
"tinkered" around with in all my many years.Would love some informed
insight in regards to what exactly is our team selection policy

That is not even bringing into discussion the LOANEES we have
brought in to the club.Seriously this must be resolved before the start of next season as we have created our own problems with this action.
Right 3 points on Saturday, wish I was there but prior commitments!!
Quite agree keep the Manager get Nani out get rid of at least 15 players and bring 4 or 5 new players in that compliment the existing team.....Stability is the key look at leicester & Burnley this season enough said......
[quote][p][bold]endean2[/bold] wrote: I have never known a squad of Watford players that has been "tinkered" around with in all my many years.Would love some informed insight in regards to what exactly is our team selection policy That is not even bringing into discussion the LOANEES we have brought in to the club.Seriously this must be resolved before the start of next season as we have created our own problems with this action. Right 3 points on Saturday, wish I was there but prior commitments!![/p][/quote]Quite agree keep the Manager get Nani out get rid of at least 15 players and bring 4 or 5 new players in that compliment the existing team.....Stability is the key look at leicester & Burnley this season enough said...... hornetwise
  • Score: -4

10:47am Fri 4 Apr 14

piemagico says...

I thought the question was going to be whether we should have sacked a promising young manager who understands the Championship so well.
I thought the question was going to be whether we should have sacked a promising young manager who understands the Championship so well. piemagico
  • Score: 5

11:17am Fri 4 Apr 14

tonupchris says...

piemagico wrote:
I thought the question was going to be whether we should have sacked a promising young manager who understands the Championship so well.
Are we still banging on about something that happened nearly two years ago. He's done well at Burnley but that's not to say he would have done well here with the players coming in and would you really want to go back to playing that style of football. I know I wouldn't. It one of the worst seasons I can remember in a long time with regards to the style we played.
Move on
[quote][p][bold]piemagico[/bold] wrote: I thought the question was going to be whether we should have sacked a promising young manager who understands the Championship so well.[/p][/quote]Are we still banging on about something that happened nearly two years ago. He's done well at Burnley but that's not to say he would have done well here with the players coming in and would you really want to go back to playing that style of football. I know I wouldn't. It one of the worst seasons I can remember in a long time with regards to the style we played. Move on tonupchris
  • Score: 10

11:21am Fri 4 Apr 14

Harry's Bar says...

piemagico wrote:
I thought the question was going to be whether we should have sacked a promising young manager who understands the Championship so well.
I don't think Saninno would get drawn into that one.
[quote][p][bold]piemagico[/bold] wrote: I thought the question was going to be whether we should have sacked a promising young manager who understands the Championship so well.[/p][/quote]I don't think Saninno would get drawn into that one. Harry's Bar
  • Score: 0

12:11pm Fri 4 Apr 14

Smudger Jnr says...

We are currently at two end of the spectrum in terms of squad size. Clearly we have played too many players and don't have a settled squad. But if Burnley had has as many injuries as us this season they wouldn't have amassed 79 points. You could argue that Dyche has somehow put together a durable squad, but i think it is in part luck. Also the statements above seem to suggest Burnley are home and dry, but in fact the prolonged absence of a couple of players could very likely mean they miss out on the auto places and then also fail in the playoffs. Good luck to Dyche and co. all the same. Most fans will always hold a torch for the plucky outsider, and many thought they would fall away long before now.

Sanninio's statement is about us, not Burnley. It is about us building a settled squad that is not just able, but also physically ready for this division. The right players, with the right balance of 1st eleven players and back-up options. We need players that are happy and settled in hertfordshire, so that if they find themselves outside that first choice eleven, they will not be booking the first plane back in Jan. I've noticed a trend of those that have settled quickly have been english speaking to some degree. Not to say that all our players need to be English! Players that can comprehend the idea of spending the rest of their carrier in England will settle quickly, and integrate on and off the pitch.
We are currently at two end of the spectrum in terms of squad size. Clearly we have played too many players and don't have a settled squad. But if Burnley had has as many injuries as us this season they wouldn't have amassed 79 points. You could argue that Dyche has somehow put together a durable squad, but i think it is in part luck. Also the statements above seem to suggest Burnley are home and dry, but in fact the prolonged absence of a couple of players could very likely mean they miss out on the auto places and then also fail in the playoffs. Good luck to Dyche and co. all the same. Most fans will always hold a torch for the plucky outsider, and many thought they would fall away long before now. Sanninio's statement is about us, not Burnley. It is about us building a settled squad that is not just able, but also physically ready for this division. The right players, with the right balance of 1st eleven players and back-up options. We need players that are happy and settled in hertfordshire, so that if they find themselves outside that first choice eleven, they will not be booking the first plane back in Jan. I've noticed a trend of those that have settled quickly have been english speaking to some degree. Not to say that all our players need to be English! Players that can comprehend the idea of spending the rest of their carrier in England will settle quickly, and integrate on and off the pitch. Smudger Jnr
  • Score: 13

1:24pm Fri 4 Apr 14

SuperHorns says...

Surely the problem of having a smaller squad comes now, at the tail of the season and judging by Burnleys injuries it highlights that. However a small squad that has pushed on and got themselves the points on the board, then you have to give Dyche and Burnley an awful lot of credit. However I think their lull will happen now, just hope they aren't pipped at the end and best of luck next season in the PL but am hoping you'll lose at Fotress Vic.
Surely the problem of having a smaller squad comes now, at the tail of the season and judging by Burnleys injuries it highlights that. However a small squad that has pushed on and got themselves the points on the board, then you have to give Dyche and Burnley an awful lot of credit. However I think their lull will happen now, just hope they aren't pipped at the end and best of luck next season in the PL but am hoping you'll lose at Fotress Vic. SuperHorns
  • Score: 4

1:39pm Fri 4 Apr 14

stiffler99 says...

tonupchris wrote:
piemagico wrote: I thought the question was going to be whether we should have sacked a promising young manager who understands the Championship so well.
Are we still banging on about something that happened nearly two years ago. He's done well at Burnley but that's not to say he would have done well here with the players coming in and would you really want to go back to playing that style of football. I know I wouldn't. It one of the worst seasons I can remember in a long time with regards to the style we played. Move on
The Boothroyd season back in the Championship after relegation from the Premiership was much worse as was the Kenny Jackett "0-0" season in League One. Our style under Zola was fantastic - defensively poor but there was always half an hour in a game where we were totally on top and played some great passing football. At the start of this season under Zola that passing was still there but there was no pace in getting the ball forward and some horrendous errors at the back caused us to struggle. Under Sannino the defence has been shored up to a certain extent but the passing has definitely got worse and teh ball has started going up in the air which doen't help when we are basically a "small" team.

I think that the quality of players is not so good this season which isn't the manager's fault and ratiher than knock Sannino I am hoping that he gets given a few better players to work with.
[quote][p][bold]tonupchris[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]piemagico[/bold] wrote: I thought the question was going to be whether we should have sacked a promising young manager who understands the Championship so well.[/p][/quote]Are we still banging on about something that happened nearly two years ago. He's done well at Burnley but that's not to say he would have done well here with the players coming in and would you really want to go back to playing that style of football. I know I wouldn't. It one of the worst seasons I can remember in a long time with regards to the style we played. Move on[/p][/quote]The Boothroyd season back in the Championship after relegation from the Premiership was much worse as was the Kenny Jackett "0-0" season in League One. Our style under Zola was fantastic - defensively poor but there was always half an hour in a game where we were totally on top and played some great passing football. At the start of this season under Zola that passing was still there but there was no pace in getting the ball forward and some horrendous errors at the back caused us to struggle. Under Sannino the defence has been shored up to a certain extent but the passing has definitely got worse and teh ball has started going up in the air which doen't help when we are basically a "small" team. I think that the quality of players is not so good this season which isn't the manager's fault and ratiher than knock Sannino I am hoping that he gets given a few better players to work with. stiffler99
  • Score: 7

1:55pm Fri 4 Apr 14

RobH2O says...

Smudger Jnr wrote:
We are currently at two end of the spectrum in terms of squad size. Clearly we have played too many players and don't have a settled squad. But if Burnley had has as many injuries as us this season they wouldn't have amassed 79 points. You could argue that Dyche has somehow put together a durable squad, but i think it is in part luck. Also the statements above seem to suggest Burnley are home and dry, but in fact the prolonged absence of a couple of players could very likely mean they miss out on the auto places and then also fail in the playoffs. Good luck to Dyche and co. all the same. Most fans will always hold a torch for the plucky outsider, and many thought they would fall away long before now.

Sanninio's statement is about us, not Burnley. It is about us building a settled squad that is not just able, but also physically ready for this division. The right players, with the right balance of 1st eleven players and back-up options. We need players that are happy and settled in hertfordshire, so that if they find themselves outside that first choice eleven, they will not be booking the first plane back in Jan. I've noticed a trend of those that have settled quickly have been english speaking to some degree. Not to say that all our players need to be English! Players that can comprehend the idea of spending the rest of their carrier in England will settle quickly, and integrate on and off the pitch.
Well, we haven't fallen away. 85 points is the average haul needed to win promotion from the Championship/Second Tier over the last 10 seasons. We are on 79 with 7 to play. Two more victories are, historically, therefore enough.

However, the fixtures have dropped in such a way as to give the Rams an incredibly easy run-in. I suspect they will not be beaten in the last seven games. I suspect they will win five and draw two.

QPR have it it tougher.

If Derby do as I suggest, fail to lose and win the majority of what games are left, we will need to win 3 from the final 7 matches.

With six players missing for the fixture at Vicarage Road and five missing for the Tuesday night match at Oakwell, I suspect we will lose both. However, four are set to return the following Saturday. I think we will win 3 from the remaining five. And is Derby do drop a match, then promotion is nailed.
[quote][p][bold]Smudger Jnr[/bold] wrote: We are currently at two end of the spectrum in terms of squad size. Clearly we have played too many players and don't have a settled squad. But if Burnley had has as many injuries as us this season they wouldn't have amassed 79 points. You could argue that Dyche has somehow put together a durable squad, but i think it is in part luck. Also the statements above seem to suggest Burnley are home and dry, but in fact the prolonged absence of a couple of players could very likely mean they miss out on the auto places and then also fail in the playoffs. Good luck to Dyche and co. all the same. Most fans will always hold a torch for the plucky outsider, and many thought they would fall away long before now. Sanninio's statement is about us, not Burnley. It is about us building a settled squad that is not just able, but also physically ready for this division. The right players, with the right balance of 1st eleven players and back-up options. We need players that are happy and settled in hertfordshire, so that if they find themselves outside that first choice eleven, they will not be booking the first plane back in Jan. I've noticed a trend of those that have settled quickly have been english speaking to some degree. Not to say that all our players need to be English! Players that can comprehend the idea of spending the rest of their carrier in England will settle quickly, and integrate on and off the pitch.[/p][/quote]Well, we haven't fallen away. 85 points is the average haul needed to win promotion from the Championship/Second Tier over the last 10 seasons. We are on 79 with 7 to play. Two more victories are, historically, therefore enough. However, the fixtures have dropped in such a way as to give the Rams an incredibly easy run-in. I suspect they will not be beaten in the last seven games. I suspect they will win five and draw two. QPR have it it tougher. If Derby do as I suggest, fail to lose and win the majority of what games are left, we will need to win 3 from the final 7 matches. With six players missing for the fixture at Vicarage Road and five missing for the Tuesday night match at Oakwell, I suspect we will lose both. However, four are set to return the following Saturday. I think we will win 3 from the remaining five. And is Derby do drop a match, then promotion is nailed. RobH2O
  • Score: 6

3:36pm Fri 4 Apr 14

Hairy Hornet says...

Dyche hasnt achieved anything yet. Much as I hate to see it QPR could capitalise on Burnley's injuries and steal automatic promotion.
Zola made a huge mistake rotating the team for the sake of it and paid the price ultimately. You play your best team whatever.
Dyche hasnt achieved anything yet. Much as I hate to see it QPR could capitalise on Burnley's injuries and steal automatic promotion. Zola made a huge mistake rotating the team for the sake of it and paid the price ultimately. You play your best team whatever. Hairy Hornet
  • Score: 7

5:56pm Fri 4 Apr 14

SAHornet says...

RobH2O wrote:
Smudger Jnr wrote:
We are currently at two end of the spectrum in terms of squad size. Clearly we have played too many players and don't have a settled squad. But if Burnley had has as many injuries as us this season they wouldn't have amassed 79 points. You could argue that Dyche has somehow put together a durable squad, but i think it is in part luck. Also the statements above seem to suggest Burnley are home and dry, but in fact the prolonged absence of a couple of players could very likely mean they miss out on the auto places and then also fail in the playoffs. Good luck to Dyche and co. all the same. Most fans will always hold a torch for the plucky outsider, and many thought they would fall away long before now.

Sanninio's statement is about us, not Burnley. It is about us building a settled squad that is not just able, but also physically ready for this division. The right players, with the right balance of 1st eleven players and back-up options. We need players that are happy and settled in hertfordshire, so that if they find themselves outside that first choice eleven, they will not be booking the first plane back in Jan. I've noticed a trend of those that have settled quickly have been english speaking to some degree. Not to say that all our players need to be English! Players that can comprehend the idea of spending the rest of their carrier in England will settle quickly, and integrate on and off the pitch.
Well, we haven't fallen away. 85 points is the average haul needed to win promotion from the Championship/Second Tier over the last 10 seasons. We are on 79 with 7 to play. Two more victories are, historically, therefore enough.

However, the fixtures have dropped in such a way as to give the Rams an incredibly easy run-in. I suspect they will not be beaten in the last seven games. I suspect they will win five and draw two.

QPR have it it tougher.

If Derby do as I suggest, fail to lose and win the majority of what games are left, we will need to win 3 from the final 7 matches.

With six players missing for the fixture at Vicarage Road and five missing for the Tuesday night match at Oakwell, I suspect we will lose both. However, four are set to return the following Saturday. I think we will win 3 from the remaining five. And is Derby do drop a match, then promotion is nailed.
Best of good fortune to you anyway, just not on Saturday.
[quote][p][bold]RobH2O[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Smudger Jnr[/bold] wrote: We are currently at two end of the spectrum in terms of squad size. Clearly we have played too many players and don't have a settled squad. But if Burnley had has as many injuries as us this season they wouldn't have amassed 79 points. You could argue that Dyche has somehow put together a durable squad, but i think it is in part luck. Also the statements above seem to suggest Burnley are home and dry, but in fact the prolonged absence of a couple of players could very likely mean they miss out on the auto places and then also fail in the playoffs. Good luck to Dyche and co. all the same. Most fans will always hold a torch for the plucky outsider, and many thought they would fall away long before now. Sanninio's statement is about us, not Burnley. It is about us building a settled squad that is not just able, but also physically ready for this division. The right players, with the right balance of 1st eleven players and back-up options. We need players that are happy and settled in hertfordshire, so that if they find themselves outside that first choice eleven, they will not be booking the first plane back in Jan. I've noticed a trend of those that have settled quickly have been english speaking to some degree. Not to say that all our players need to be English! Players that can comprehend the idea of spending the rest of their carrier in England will settle quickly, and integrate on and off the pitch.[/p][/quote]Well, we haven't fallen away. 85 points is the average haul needed to win promotion from the Championship/Second Tier over the last 10 seasons. We are on 79 with 7 to play. Two more victories are, historically, therefore enough. However, the fixtures have dropped in such a way as to give the Rams an incredibly easy run-in. I suspect they will not be beaten in the last seven games. I suspect they will win five and draw two. QPR have it it tougher. If Derby do as I suggest, fail to lose and win the majority of what games are left, we will need to win 3 from the final 7 matches. With six players missing for the fixture at Vicarage Road and five missing for the Tuesday night match at Oakwell, I suspect we will lose both. However, four are set to return the following Saturday. I think we will win 3 from the remaining five. And is Derby do drop a match, then promotion is nailed.[/p][/quote]Best of good fortune to you anyway, just not on Saturday. SAHornet
  • Score: 6

12:55am Sat 5 Apr 14

Burnley59/60 says...

Hairy Hornet wrote:
Dyche hasnt achieved anything yet. Much as I hate to see it QPR could capitalise on Burnley's injuries and steal automatic promotion.
Zola made a huge mistake rotating the team for the sake of it and paid the price ultimately. You play your best team whatever.
Not a chance in hell mate,this is the best Burnley side in many years.I have seen all the Clarets side since 54 onward,this bunch are a match for The Late great Jimmy Adamsons 70s side and that's saying something,Turfmoors starting to feel Top Flight Once moor,in fact its starting to beat like a Tom Tom as it did in the Early Sixtys when I was young and The Small Town team from East Lancashire were Champions of England,by the way I like Watford nice fans and always friendly
[quote][p][bold]Hairy Hornet[/bold] wrote: Dyche hasnt achieved anything yet. Much as I hate to see it QPR could capitalise on Burnley's injuries and steal automatic promotion. Zola made a huge mistake rotating the team for the sake of it and paid the price ultimately. You play your best team whatever.[/p][/quote]Not a chance in hell mate,this is the best Burnley side in many years.I have seen all the Clarets side since 54 onward,this bunch are a match for The Late great Jimmy Adamsons 70s side and that's saying something,Turfmoors starting to feel Top Flight Once moor,in fact its starting to beat like a Tom Tom as it did in the Early Sixtys when I was young and The Small Town team from East Lancashire were Champions of England,by the way I like Watford nice fans and always friendly Burnley59/60
  • Score: 5

11:24am Sat 5 Apr 14

rogeruk says...

Burnley59/60 wrote:
Hairy Hornet wrote:
Dyche hasnt achieved anything yet. Much as I hate to see it QPR could capitalise on Burnley's injuries and steal automatic promotion.
Zola made a huge mistake rotating the team for the sake of it and paid the price ultimately. You play your best team whatever.
Not a chance in hell mate,this is the best Burnley side in many years.I have seen all the Clarets side since 54 onward,this bunch are a match for The Late great Jimmy Adamsons 70s side and that's saying something,Turfmoors starting to feel Top Flight Once moor,in fact its starting to beat like a Tom Tom as it did in the Early Sixtys when I was young and The Small Town team from East Lancashire were Champions of England,by the way I like Watford nice fans and always friendly
Good post, Its a pity Burnley and Watford are not going up together, however, Leicester have done a fantastic job, then again Watford's performance at Leicester was superior to Leicester, bottom line is on their day Watford still have the best quality team in the championship, but not consistently.

I think the model for both teams to aspire to is Dortmund in the Bundesliga. Burnley Watford fans both keep their feet on the ground at times too much so, even so much better than the likes of Newcastle and Spurs who are constant whingers joined this season by Man Utd.

Zola was constantly saying there was no pressure on him to achieve promotion , if that's true then it was a bad mistake by senior management! Zola at times especially his first season was too cavalier which ultimately has costs us dearly so far.

Management wise most Watford fans would like to see a one way ticket out of Watford for Nani, otherwise carry on team having learnt from the mistakes of the previous two seasons.

Anyone such as me who enjoyed the six or seven seasons ( can't remember without looking it up but you get my point) in the top league can't wait to get back, the sooner the better. 20,000 plus in the top league Watford fans every home game cheering the team on against the so called 'big boys' that's want we want!
[quote][p][bold]Burnley59/60[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hairy Hornet[/bold] wrote: Dyche hasnt achieved anything yet. Much as I hate to see it QPR could capitalise on Burnley's injuries and steal automatic promotion. Zola made a huge mistake rotating the team for the sake of it and paid the price ultimately. You play your best team whatever.[/p][/quote]Not a chance in hell mate,this is the best Burnley side in many years.I have seen all the Clarets side since 54 onward,this bunch are a match for The Late great Jimmy Adamsons 70s side and that's saying something,Turfmoors starting to feel Top Flight Once moor,in fact its starting to beat like a Tom Tom as it did in the Early Sixtys when I was young and The Small Town team from East Lancashire were Champions of England,by the way I like Watford nice fans and always friendly[/p][/quote]Good post, Its a pity Burnley and Watford are not going up together, however, Leicester have done a fantastic job, then again Watford's performance at Leicester was superior to Leicester, bottom line is on their day Watford still have the best quality team in the championship, but not consistently. I think the model for both teams to aspire to is Dortmund in the Bundesliga. Burnley Watford fans both keep their feet on the ground at times too much so, even so much better than the likes of Newcastle and Spurs who are constant whingers joined this season by Man Utd. Zola was constantly saying there was no pressure on him to achieve promotion , if that's true then it was a bad mistake by senior management! Zola at times especially his first season was too cavalier which ultimately has costs us dearly so far. Management wise most Watford fans would like to see a one way ticket out of Watford for Nani, otherwise carry on team having learnt from the mistakes of the previous two seasons. Anyone such as me who enjoyed the six or seven seasons ( can't remember without looking it up but you get my point) in the top league can't wait to get back, the sooner the better. 20,000 plus in the top league Watford fans every home game cheering the team on against the so called 'big boys' that's want we want! rogeruk
  • Score: -2

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree