Watford's head of medical gives injury updates on Almen Abdi, Manuel Almunia, Gabriele Angella, Joel Ekstrand and Lewis McGugan

Watford Observer: Almen Abdi missed yesterday's game with a knee injury. Picture: Action Images Almen Abdi missed yesterday's game with a knee injury. Picture: Action Images

Watford’s injury problems continued to mount during yesterday’s 4-2 defeat at Derby County after Joel Ekstrand and Lewis McGugan joined Manuel Almunia, Gabriele Angella and Almen Abdi on the sidelines.

The Hornets keeper missed the game with an Achilles problem, Angella and Abdi were ruled out with knee injuries, while their two teammates were both forced off within a short time of each other during the second half at the iPro Stadium.

Abdi has been in fine form since returning to the team following his prolonged absence with a foot condition and Hornets head of medical Marco Cesarini said: “It was a shame for him. The last training session yesterday he had a little twist on his knee. We will assess him.”

Asked about Almunia and Angella following yesterday’s defeat, Cesarini said: “Almunia has an Achilles problem and Angella has a minor knee problem.”

Commenting further on the goalkeeper’s injury, he continued: “It’s not a big problem but it’s painful and the gaffer always wants the players fit 100 per cent.”

The Hornets play their final away game of the season at Charlton Athletic on Tuesday and asked if Almunia could be fit for that, Cesarini said: “We have time, we have maybe two days he can be better but we will see.”

The head of medical said of the injuries picked up during the game: “Joel had a bad twist on his ankle today. McGugan was asking to come out because he felt something behind his knee and he needs an assessment.”

Comments (13)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:32pm Sun 27 Apr 14

demerit says...

It doesn't much matter now, does it?
It doesn't much matter now, does it? demerit
  • Score: 3

6:04pm Sun 27 Apr 14

only5foot3 says...

The beach will make the world of difference.
The beach will make the world of difference. only5foot3
  • Score: 1

6:38pm Sun 27 Apr 14

hogweed says...

Too many injuries this season has really hurt us. This guy Ceasarini seems a waste of time to me.

Hog out
Too many injuries this season has really hurt us. This guy Ceasarini seems a waste of time to me. Hog out hogweed
  • Score: -31

8:00pm Sun 27 Apr 14

SJM...laugh at luton says...

All Watford fans on newsnow are always arguing with each other on points made...

We can't go up...no excitement

Why don't we get all the fans on newsnow Watford that argue with each other and have some boxing matches at vicarage road at the end of the season,could be fun day out...
All Watford fans on newsnow are always arguing with each other on points made... We can't go up...no excitement Why don't we get all the fans on newsnow Watford that argue with each other and have some boxing matches at vicarage road at the end of the season,could be fun day out... SJM...laugh at luton
  • Score: -8

10:41pm Sun 27 Apr 14

ashdownforestieri says...

SJM...laugh at luton wrote:
All Watford fans on newsnow are always arguing with each other on points made...

We can't go up...no excitement

Why don't we get all the fans on newsnow Watford that argue with each other and have some boxing matches at vicarage road at the end of the season,could be fun day out...
Debate, Watford fans never argue.
Well done Luton on winning their league managing to overcome some really great teams like Alfreton Town,Welling, and of course Tamworth.
[quote][p][bold]SJM...laugh at luton[/bold] wrote: All Watford fans on newsnow are always arguing with each other on points made... We can't go up...no excitement Why don't we get all the fans on newsnow Watford that argue with each other and have some boxing matches at vicarage road at the end of the season,could be fun day out...[/p][/quote]Debate, Watford fans never argue. Well done Luton on winning their league managing to overcome some really great teams like Alfreton Town,Welling, and of course Tamworth. ashdownforestieri
  • Score: 10

10:57pm Sun 27 Apr 14

Hornet Cornet says...

ashdownforestieri wrote:
SJM...laugh at luton wrote:
All Watford fans on newsnow are always arguing with each other on points made...

We can't go up...no excitement

Why don't we get all the fans on newsnow Watford that argue with each other and have some boxing matches at vicarage road at the end of the season,could be fun day out...
Debate, Watford fans never argue.
Well done Luton on winning their league managing to overcome some really great teams like Alfreton Town,Welling, and of course Tamworth.
Yes, the sort of teams who are like Yeovil who managed to thump us at home under Zola.
[quote][p][bold]ashdownforestieri[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SJM...laugh at luton[/bold] wrote: All Watford fans on newsnow are always arguing with each other on points made... We can't go up...no excitement Why don't we get all the fans on newsnow Watford that argue with each other and have some boxing matches at vicarage road at the end of the season,could be fun day out...[/p][/quote]Debate, Watford fans never argue. Well done Luton on winning their league managing to overcome some really great teams like Alfreton Town,Welling, and of course Tamworth.[/p][/quote]Yes, the sort of teams who are like Yeovil who managed to thump us at home under Zola. Hornet Cornet
  • Score: -9

9:04am Mon 28 Apr 14

Harry's Bar says...

demerit wrote:
It doesn't much matter now, does it?
It matters to Cessarini. He has a good record at getting Almunia fit after missing a match. Even with a painful Achillies he may get him fit.
[quote][p][bold]demerit[/bold] wrote: It doesn't much matter now, does it?[/p][/quote]It matters to Cessarini. He has a good record at getting Almunia fit after missing a match. Even with a painful Achillies he may get him fit. Harry's Bar
  • Score: 0

12:11pm Mon 28 Apr 14

AngelHornet says...

If Hall is fit perhaps a last chance to see him in a Watford shirt.
If Hall is fit perhaps a last chance to see him in a Watford shirt. AngelHornet
  • Score: 0

12:27pm Mon 28 Apr 14

MainStandShambles says...

Harry's Bar wrote:
demerit wrote:
It doesn't much matter now, does it?
It matters to Cessarini. He has a good record at getting Almunia fit after missing a match. Even with a painful Achillies he may get him fit.
Much as i'm glad we've had two good years out of Almunia i do think that Bond should finish the season off for us, one game here and there doesn't give any player a chance to find decent form. He needs a run of games to add to his experience and for us to confirm that he is the way forward for us.
[quote][p][bold]Harry's Bar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]demerit[/bold] wrote: It doesn't much matter now, does it?[/p][/quote]It matters to Cessarini. He has a good record at getting Almunia fit after missing a match. Even with a painful Achillies he may get him fit.[/p][/quote]Much as i'm glad we've had two good years out of Almunia i do think that Bond should finish the season off for us, one game here and there doesn't give any player a chance to find decent form. He needs a run of games to add to his experience and for us to confirm that he is the way forward for us. MainStandShambles
  • Score: 6

12:48pm Mon 28 Apr 14

rousman 2 says...

AngelHornet wrote:
If Hall is fit perhaps a last chance to see him in a Watford shirt.
Hall fit ? more chance of Moyes being manager of the year.
[quote][p][bold]AngelHornet[/bold] wrote: If Hall is fit perhaps a last chance to see him in a Watford shirt.[/p][/quote]Hall fit ? more chance of Moyes being manager of the year. rousman 2
  • Score: 3

12:49pm Mon 28 Apr 14

Paul Gadd says...

Can't wait for this wretched season to be over......and it makes me ill to see Palace & Hull staying up, the likes of Leicester going up and wait, the cherry on top- the scum back in the FL???!!!

Roll on next season
COYH!
Can't wait for this wretched season to be over......and it makes me ill to see Palace & Hull staying up, the likes of Leicester going up and wait, the cherry on top- the scum back in the FL???!!! Roll on next season COYH! Paul Gadd
  • Score: 5

1:26pm Mon 28 Apr 14

Harry's Bar says...

AngelHornet wrote:
If Hall is fit perhaps a last chance to see him in a Watford shirt.
.....and he's still better than Doyley, Ekstrand and Cassetti.
[quote][p][bold]AngelHornet[/bold] wrote: If Hall is fit perhaps a last chance to see him in a Watford shirt.[/p][/quote].....and he's still better than Doyley, Ekstrand and Cassetti. Harry's Bar
  • Score: -1

5:41pm Mon 28 Apr 14

BryantheOrn says...

Hornet Cornet wrote:
ashdownforestieri wrote:
SJM...laugh at luton wrote:
All Watford fans on newsnow are always arguing with each other on points made...

We can't go up...no excitement

Why don't we get all the fans on newsnow Watford that argue with each other and have some boxing matches at vicarage road at the end of the season,could be fun day out...
Debate, Watford fans never argue.
Well done Luton on winning their league managing to overcome some really great teams like Alfreton Town,Welling, and of course Tamworth.
Yes, the sort of teams who are like Yeovil who managed to thump us at home under Zola.
Never mind Cornet, we've stuffed some big time Charlies this season as well as last under Zola.
[quote][p][bold]Hornet Cornet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ashdownforestieri[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SJM...laugh at luton[/bold] wrote: All Watford fans on newsnow are always arguing with each other on points made... We can't go up...no excitement Why don't we get all the fans on newsnow Watford that argue with each other and have some boxing matches at vicarage road at the end of the season,could be fun day out...[/p][/quote]Debate, Watford fans never argue. Well done Luton on winning their league managing to overcome some really great teams like Alfreton Town,Welling, and of course Tamworth.[/p][/quote]Yes, the sort of teams who are like Yeovil who managed to thump us at home under Zola.[/p][/quote]Never mind Cornet, we've stuffed some big time Charlies this season as well as last under Zola. BryantheOrn
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree