Watford head coach Beppe Sannino says his players must continue to treat every game like an 'exam'

Watford Observer: Picture: Dave Peters Picture: Dave Peters

Beppe Sannino says each game remains an “exam” for his Watford players and the Hornets head coach won’t allow his side to coast through their final two games of the season.

A 4-2 defeat at Derby County on Saturday ended the Golden Boys’ slim hopes of reaching the Championship play-offs.

It means there is little at stake for Watford then they travel to Charlton Athletic tomorrow and against Huddersfield Town at Vicarage Road on Saturday.

However, Sannino wants his side to end the campaign strongly and expects the same level of commitment from his players, no matter the circumstances.

“The players are perfectly aware that the season finishes on May 3," the Italian said. "Until that date they must be professional and they must respect the people that come to watch us play. I am sure they will do that.”

He continued: “Every player is under exam every game. These next two matches are important because we need to finish in a good way and we need to look at the players for next season.

“The assessment of the players is not just on these two games, I’ve been here since December so I’ve had time to do that.

“In these next two games I’m expecting good commitment and good performances.”

Sannino will be forced into changes against Charlton due to injuries and suspension and one player he would like to feature before the end of the campaign is young striker Alex Jakubiak.

He explained: “I am expecting to have some of the injured players back on Saturday but we have a very talented guy, Alex Jakubiak, available for selection.

"We will see if I can give him his debut in the next two matches.”

Comments (13)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:08pm Mon 28 Apr 14

mellow yellow says...

Hopefully we will see the future of Watford in the next couple of games. Give the kid Alex 180 minutes and see what he's made of. There needs to be a different philosophy with a core squad, not just a load of loan ransoms chucked into the Watford liquidiser and see what comes out. Tozser and merkel to stay. Angella a bonus. Think Deeney will be off. Be interesting to see his reaction to the fans in the next two games. Onward!
Hopefully we will see the future of Watford in the next couple of games. Give the kid Alex 180 minutes and see what he's made of. There needs to be a different philosophy with a core squad, not just a load of loan ransoms chucked into the Watford liquidiser and see what comes out. Tozser and merkel to stay. Angella a bonus. Think Deeney will be off. Be interesting to see his reaction to the fans in the next two games. Onward! mellow yellow
  • Score: 5

8:13pm Mon 28 Apr 14

Woodley hornet says...

His Name is Bond Jonathan Bond Watford number one next season and for are last two games go for it beppe uuuu horns
His Name is Bond Jonathan Bond Watford number one next season and for are last two games go for it beppe uuuu horns Woodley hornet
  • Score: -4

10:01pm Mon 28 Apr 14

D.unstable says...

Woodley hornet wrote:
His Name is Bond Jonathan Bond Watford number one next season and for are last two games go for it beppe uuuu horns
Yeah right!!!
[quote][p][bold]Woodley hornet[/bold] wrote: His Name is Bond Jonathan Bond Watford number one next season and for are last two games go for it beppe uuuu horns[/p][/quote]Yeah right!!! D.unstable
  • Score: 2

10:49pm Mon 28 Apr 14

AlanMayeshasscored says...

Should give Woods a couple of games, I'm afraid Bond is another Loach.
Should give Woods a couple of games, I'm afraid Bond is another Loach. AlanMayeshasscored
  • Score: -2

11:29pm Mon 28 Apr 14

D.unstable says...

AlanMayeshasscored wrote:
Should give Woods a couple of games, I'm afraid Bond is another Loach.
I wouldn't say he is that bad, but not ready for a season as first choice for sure, we need to bring in another experienced keeper in the Almunia or Kuscac (however ou spell it) mould and maybe put Bond out for a long League one loan to see if he has it.

I see Loach can't get anywhere near the Ipswich bus anymore. He always said he was an Ipswich fan, now he needs to buy a ticket like the rest of them.
[quote][p][bold]AlanMayeshasscored[/bold] wrote: Should give Woods a couple of games, I'm afraid Bond is another Loach.[/p][/quote]I wouldn't say he is that bad, but not ready for a season as first choice for sure, we need to bring in another experienced keeper in the Almunia or Kuscac (however ou spell it) mould and maybe put Bond out for a long League one loan to see if he has it. I see Loach can't get anywhere near the Ipswich bus anymore. He always said he was an Ipswich fan, now he needs to buy a ticket like the rest of them. D.unstable
  • Score: 5

7:54am Tue 29 Apr 14

Goldenboy1960 says...

D.unstable wrote:
AlanMayeshasscored wrote:
Should give Woods a couple of games, I'm afraid Bond is another Loach.
I wouldn't say he is that bad, but not ready for a season as first choice for sure, we need to bring in another experienced keeper in the Almunia or Kuscac (however ou spell it) mould and maybe put Bond out for a long League one loan to see if he has it.

I see Loach can't get anywhere near the Ipswich bus anymore. He always said he was an Ipswich fan, now he needs to buy a ticket like the rest of them.
Bondy was one of our best players on Saturday. He needs to play week in week out to gain that belief. He will be top class. He should be in the side now.
[quote][p][bold]D.unstable[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AlanMayeshasscored[/bold] wrote: Should give Woods a couple of games, I'm afraid Bond is another Loach.[/p][/quote]I wouldn't say he is that bad, but not ready for a season as first choice for sure, we need to bring in another experienced keeper in the Almunia or Kuscac (however ou spell it) mould and maybe put Bond out for a long League one loan to see if he has it. I see Loach can't get anywhere near the Ipswich bus anymore. He always said he was an Ipswich fan, now he needs to buy a ticket like the rest of them.[/p][/quote]Bondy was one of our best players on Saturday. He needs to play week in week out to gain that belief. He will be top class. He should be in the side now. Goldenboy1960
  • Score: 5

8:38am Tue 29 Apr 14

Harry's Bar says...

Goldenboy1960 wrote:
D.unstable wrote:
AlanMayeshasscored wrote:
Should give Woods a couple of games, I'm afraid Bond is another Loach.
I wouldn't say he is that bad, but not ready for a season as first choice for sure, we need to bring in another experienced keeper in the Almunia or Kuscac (however ou spell it) mould and maybe put Bond out for a long League one loan to see if he has it.

I see Loach can't get anywhere near the Ipswich bus anymore. He always said he was an Ipswich fan, now he needs to buy a ticket like the rest of them.
Bondy was one of our best players on Saturday. He needs to play week in week out to gain that belief. He will be top class. He should be in the side now.
I'm not sure, he seems to be turning into a clone of Almunia...good save, very good save, howler, great save, schoolboy error, good save........I'd be wanting to have a very careful look at what the goalkeeping coach is doing.
[quote][p][bold]Goldenboy1960[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]D.unstable[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AlanMayeshasscored[/bold] wrote: Should give Woods a couple of games, I'm afraid Bond is another Loach.[/p][/quote]I wouldn't say he is that bad, but not ready for a season as first choice for sure, we need to bring in another experienced keeper in the Almunia or Kuscac (however ou spell it) mould and maybe put Bond out for a long League one loan to see if he has it. I see Loach can't get anywhere near the Ipswich bus anymore. He always said he was an Ipswich fan, now he needs to buy a ticket like the rest of them.[/p][/quote]Bondy was one of our best players on Saturday. He needs to play week in week out to gain that belief. He will be top class. He should be in the side now.[/p][/quote]I'm not sure, he seems to be turning into a clone of Almunia...good save, very good save, howler, great save, schoolboy error, good save........I'd be wanting to have a very careful look at what the goalkeeping coach is doing. Harry's Bar
  • Score: 3

8:51am Tue 29 Apr 14

thepriceisnickywright says...

Goldenboy1960 wrote:
D.unstable wrote:
AlanMayeshasscored wrote:
Should give Woods a couple of games, I'm afraid Bond is another Loach.
I wouldn't say he is that bad, but not ready for a season as first choice for sure, we need to bring in another experienced keeper in the Almunia or Kuscac (however ou spell it) mould and maybe put Bond out for a long League one loan to see if he has it.

I see Loach can't get anywhere near the Ipswich bus anymore. He always said he was an Ipswich fan, now he needs to buy a ticket like the rest of them.
Bondy was one of our best players on Saturday. He needs to play week in week out to gain that belief. He will be top class. He should be in the side now.
Spot on. He needs a run of games. Not easy coming off the bench to play the odd game here and there. Last season he had a run of games and was exceptional. This season towards the end of Zola's tenure he had a run of games and played well. Fans criticising him are beyond naive.
[quote][p][bold]Goldenboy1960[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]D.unstable[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AlanMayeshasscored[/bold] wrote: Should give Woods a couple of games, I'm afraid Bond is another Loach.[/p][/quote]I wouldn't say he is that bad, but not ready for a season as first choice for sure, we need to bring in another experienced keeper in the Almunia or Kuscac (however ou spell it) mould and maybe put Bond out for a long League one loan to see if he has it. I see Loach can't get anywhere near the Ipswich bus anymore. He always said he was an Ipswich fan, now he needs to buy a ticket like the rest of them.[/p][/quote]Bondy was one of our best players on Saturday. He needs to play week in week out to gain that belief. He will be top class. He should be in the side now.[/p][/quote]Spot on. He needs a run of games. Not easy coming off the bench to play the odd game here and there. Last season he had a run of games and was exceptional. This season towards the end of Zola's tenure he had a run of games and played well. Fans criticising him are beyond naive. thepriceisnickywright
  • Score: 6

9:46am Tue 29 Apr 14

Bobbyhowfield says...

Goldenboy1960 wrote:
D.unstable wrote:
AlanMayeshasscored wrote:
Should give Woods a couple of games, I'm afraid Bond is another Loach.
I wouldn't say he is that bad, but not ready for a season as first choice for sure, we need to bring in another experienced keeper in the Almunia or Kuscac (however ou spell it) mould and maybe put Bond out for a long League one loan to see if he has it.

I see Loach can't get anywhere near the Ipswich bus anymore. He always said he was an Ipswich fan, now he needs to buy a ticket like the rest of them.
Bondy was one of our best players on Saturday. He needs to play week in week out to gain that belief. He will be top class. He should be in the side now.
One similarity with Loach is that he seems doesn't seem to react quick enough to shots from distance.
Two very good long shots on Saturday but Almunia hasn't been beaten from than distance very often.
[quote][p][bold]Goldenboy1960[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]D.unstable[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AlanMayeshasscored[/bold] wrote: Should give Woods a couple of games, I'm afraid Bond is another Loach.[/p][/quote]I wouldn't say he is that bad, but not ready for a season as first choice for sure, we need to bring in another experienced keeper in the Almunia or Kuscac (however ou spell it) mould and maybe put Bond out for a long League one loan to see if he has it. I see Loach can't get anywhere near the Ipswich bus anymore. He always said he was an Ipswich fan, now he needs to buy a ticket like the rest of them.[/p][/quote]Bondy was one of our best players on Saturday. He needs to play week in week out to gain that belief. He will be top class. He should be in the side now.[/p][/quote]One similarity with Loach is that he seems doesn't seem to react quick enough to shots from distance. Two very good long shots on Saturday but Almunia hasn't been beaten from than distance very often. Bobbyhowfield
  • Score: 3

12:38pm Tue 29 Apr 14

D.unstable says...

thepriceisnickywrigh
t
wrote:
Goldenboy1960 wrote:
D.unstable wrote:
AlanMayeshasscored wrote: Should give Woods a couple of games, I'm afraid Bond is another Loach.
I wouldn't say he is that bad, but not ready for a season as first choice for sure, we need to bring in another experienced keeper in the Almunia or Kuscac (however ou spell it) mould and maybe put Bond out for a long League one loan to see if he has it. I see Loach can't get anywhere near the Ipswich bus anymore. He always said he was an Ipswich fan, now he needs to buy a ticket like the rest of them.
Bondy was one of our best players on Saturday. He needs to play week in week out to gain that belief. He will be top class. He should be in the side now.
Spot on. He needs a run of games. Not easy coming off the bench to play the odd game here and there. Last season he had a run of games and was exceptional. This season towards the end of Zola's tenure he had a run of games and played well. Fans criticising him are beyond naive.
I'm not saying that he doesnt have a bright future, but go get a run of games on loan and come back ready...dont put him in a position to make his mistakes in our first team, the same way that we get hot prospect loanees from prem clubs, because they dont want them cutting their teeth and making errors in their own teams.

You think that Ben Foster would have got games at Man Utd before he was playing regularly for us at a slightly lower level for 1 or 2 seasons. If we are going to step it up we cannot afford to leave anything to chance.

Get an experienced keeper who will fill Almunia's size 11 boots.

Bond will get his time if and when he is ready.
[quote][p][bold]thepriceisnickywrigh t[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Goldenboy1960[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]D.unstable[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AlanMayeshasscored[/bold] wrote: Should give Woods a couple of games, I'm afraid Bond is another Loach.[/p][/quote]I wouldn't say he is that bad, but not ready for a season as first choice for sure, we need to bring in another experienced keeper in the Almunia or Kuscac (however ou spell it) mould and maybe put Bond out for a long League one loan to see if he has it. I see Loach can't get anywhere near the Ipswich bus anymore. He always said he was an Ipswich fan, now he needs to buy a ticket like the rest of them.[/p][/quote]Bondy was one of our best players on Saturday. He needs to play week in week out to gain that belief. He will be top class. He should be in the side now.[/p][/quote]Spot on. He needs a run of games. Not easy coming off the bench to play the odd game here and there. Last season he had a run of games and was exceptional. This season towards the end of Zola's tenure he had a run of games and played well. Fans criticising him are beyond naive.[/p][/quote]I'm not saying that he doesnt have a bright future, but go get a run of games on loan and come back ready...dont put him in a position to make his mistakes in our first team, the same way that we get hot prospect loanees from prem clubs, because they dont want them cutting their teeth and making errors in their own teams. You think that Ben Foster would have got games at Man Utd before he was playing regularly for us at a slightly lower level for 1 or 2 seasons. If we are going to step it up we cannot afford to leave anything to chance. Get an experienced keeper who will fill Almunia's size 11 boots. Bond will get his time if and when he is ready. D.unstable
  • Score: 3

1:03pm Tue 29 Apr 14

thepriceisnickywright says...

D.unstable wrote:
thepriceisnickywrigh

t
wrote:
Goldenboy1960 wrote:
D.unstable wrote:
AlanMayeshasscored wrote: Should give Woods a couple of games, I'm afraid Bond is another Loach.
I wouldn't say he is that bad, but not ready for a season as first choice for sure, we need to bring in another experienced keeper in the Almunia or Kuscac (however ou spell it) mould and maybe put Bond out for a long League one loan to see if he has it. I see Loach can't get anywhere near the Ipswich bus anymore. He always said he was an Ipswich fan, now he needs to buy a ticket like the rest of them.
Bondy was one of our best players on Saturday. He needs to play week in week out to gain that belief. He will be top class. He should be in the side now.
Spot on. He needs a run of games. Not easy coming off the bench to play the odd game here and there. Last season he had a run of games and was exceptional. This season towards the end of Zola's tenure he had a run of games and played well. Fans criticising him are beyond naive.
I'm not saying that he doesnt have a bright future, but go get a run of games on loan and come back ready...dont put him in a position to make his mistakes in our first team, the same way that we get hot prospect loanees from prem clubs, because they dont want them cutting their teeth and making errors in their own teams.

You think that Ben Foster would have got games at Man Utd before he was playing regularly for us at a slightly lower level for 1 or 2 seasons. If we are going to step it up we cannot afford to leave anything to chance.

Get an experienced keeper who will fill Almunia's size 11 boots.

Bond will get his time if and when he is ready.
I can see your point but you have to remember that he has already done his time on loan. He played at Bury for half a season and did superbly for them in League 1. He has already shown that when he plays a run of games for us he can do well. Yes he made the odd mistake but every goalkeeper does that, Almunia has done it a few times this season. He should be given a run of games at the start of next season. He is not a keeper that has never played championship games before, infact he must be nearing 23 games which is half a season. He may not be 100% ready, but he is 90%, and sending on him on loan would not give him that extra 10%.
[quote][p][bold]D.unstable[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thepriceisnickywrigh t[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Goldenboy1960[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]D.unstable[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AlanMayeshasscored[/bold] wrote: Should give Woods a couple of games, I'm afraid Bond is another Loach.[/p][/quote]I wouldn't say he is that bad, but not ready for a season as first choice for sure, we need to bring in another experienced keeper in the Almunia or Kuscac (however ou spell it) mould and maybe put Bond out for a long League one loan to see if he has it. I see Loach can't get anywhere near the Ipswich bus anymore. He always said he was an Ipswich fan, now he needs to buy a ticket like the rest of them.[/p][/quote]Bondy was one of our best players on Saturday. He needs to play week in week out to gain that belief. He will be top class. He should be in the side now.[/p][/quote]Spot on. He needs a run of games. Not easy coming off the bench to play the odd game here and there. Last season he had a run of games and was exceptional. This season towards the end of Zola's tenure he had a run of games and played well. Fans criticising him are beyond naive.[/p][/quote]I'm not saying that he doesnt have a bright future, but go get a run of games on loan and come back ready...dont put him in a position to make his mistakes in our first team, the same way that we get hot prospect loanees from prem clubs, because they dont want them cutting their teeth and making errors in their own teams. You think that Ben Foster would have got games at Man Utd before he was playing regularly for us at a slightly lower level for 1 or 2 seasons. If we are going to step it up we cannot afford to leave anything to chance. Get an experienced keeper who will fill Almunia's size 11 boots. Bond will get his time if and when he is ready.[/p][/quote]I can see your point but you have to remember that he has already done his time on loan. He played at Bury for half a season and did superbly for them in League 1. He has already shown that when he plays a run of games for us he can do well. Yes he made the odd mistake but every goalkeeper does that, Almunia has done it a few times this season. He should be given a run of games at the start of next season. He is not a keeper that has never played championship games before, infact he must be nearing 23 games which is half a season. He may not be 100% ready, but he is 90%, and sending on him on loan would not give him that extra 10%. thepriceisnickywright
  • Score: 3

3:45pm Tue 29 Apr 14

jasonwatford says...

Woods should play last 2 games to show he is worth keeping next year as a number 2 whilst Bondy goes out on loan for the season. Merkel will not be staying as he wants 1st team football and is aware he wont get it here week in and out. Toszer deal all depends on wages so you might find he will sign for udinese and loan here. Angella is going no where as he is a big fav of the pozzo family and if he goes anywhere it will be back to udinese.
I think Marco Cassetti will retire , Manual Almunia will go to MLS or retire , Merkel will go back to Udinese Belekem will go back to Granada , Fabbrinni might come back depending on Deeney going. Acuna will be going back to spain , Ireney will not be back , Fariona may well leave ( sad but I think he will go ) So over to you Mr Nani
Woods should play last 2 games to show he is worth keeping next year as a number 2 whilst Bondy goes out on loan for the season. Merkel will not be staying as he wants 1st team football and is aware he wont get it here week in and out. Toszer deal all depends on wages so you might find he will sign for udinese and loan here. Angella is going no where as he is a big fav of the pozzo family and if he goes anywhere it will be back to udinese. I think Marco Cassetti will retire , Manual Almunia will go to MLS or retire , Merkel will go back to Udinese Belekem will go back to Granada , Fabbrinni might come back depending on Deeney going. Acuna will be going back to spain , Ireney will not be back , Fariona may well leave ( sad but I think he will go ) So over to you Mr Nani jasonwatford
  • Score: 0

9:04pm Tue 29 Apr 14

Voiceoftherookery says...

Doyley
Doyley Voiceoftherookery
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree