Watford Sunday League Round-Up

WSFL Challenge Cup Final

Oakview won the Challenge Cup for the fourth year in succession with a 4-2 extra-time victory against Rifle Volunteer and then went on to clinch a league and cup double on Wednesday night.

Rifle broke the deadlock in their cup final in the 25th minute as Terry Cooper found the net. It was a goal that for the majority of the contest seemed enough for Volunteer but a Lee Armitt strike with minutes to spare sent the contest to extra-time.

In the additional 30 minutes, Tim O’Mara’s impressive strike put Oakview in front for the first time and man-of-the-match Armitt then put his side in command with a quick-fire double which brought up his hat-trick.

Gary Froy then produced a moment of magic as he scored a fine goal but it wasn’t enough for Rifle, who spurned several chances and were beaten.

Premier Division

Not content with just one trophy, Oakview sealed the Premier Division title with a 4-3 win against Oxhey Estates.

Lewis Putman netted a brace while Adam Lowton and Lee Armitt also scored.

Sam Addinal, Paul Danlow and Luke Beardsworth replied for Oxhey.

Gadeside Rangers ended the season in sixth place as they leapfrogged Croxley Green Community Centre following a 3-1 win.

Jay Evans, Daniel Byron and Dave Rooney were all on the scoresheet for Rangers.

Division One

Mill End Sports were crowned champions despite drawing 2-2 with Evergreen.

Jack Garrett and Callum Rimmer were on target for Evergreen and they cancelled out a brace from Adam Cadmore.

However, a point was enough for Sports to seal top spot and celebrate their championship victory. Cassiobury Rangers rounded off their season with an entertaining 7-4 victory against FC Crescent.

Rangers came under pressure early into the contest and goalkeeper Joe Hitchins produced two good stops.

Crescent took the lead but their advantage was short-lived as Cassiobury responded through Joe Mortimer.

Rangers conceded twice in quick succession before the interval and they went into the break 3-1 behind.

The second period began with Cassiobury firmly on top and they reduced the deficit through Jack Henley, who tucked home a through ball from Brima Johnson.

Henley got his second to level the game after he slotted in a Sam Mortimer pass.

Dan Cardozo was next on the scoresheet for Rangers. He exchanged passes with Joe Mortimer before confidently finishing.

Henley grabbed his hat-trick after he found the net following a neat Sean Lilley pass. Joe Mortimer and Nick White added further goals to put Cassiobury firmly in control.

Crescent scored a late consolation but it was far too late to make any difference.

Division Two

Green Dragon clinched the title in style as they recorded back-to-back victories in their double header against Sun Postal Sports.

The first match between the two sides ended in a 10-1 rout for Dragon which was enough for the side to be crowned champions. They didn’t let up in the second contest and were 6-3 winners. Dean Parratt struck five times in the victories, Luke O’Malley netted four goals, there was a double for Lars Burkhardt while Sam Margerison, Keifer Shuttleworth, Travis Bennett, Dave O’Sullivan and an own goal rounded off the scoring.

Sun Postal’s consolations came from Sam Hakner, Stuart Jago, Mickey Walrond and Simon Scott.

Dragon were crowned champions after taking 15 wins from 16 league matches.

Division Three

Rickmansworth Rovers finished with a flourish, winning 5-1 against RD FC.

Rovers’ goals came from James Budden (2), Tom Gibson, Adam Seabrook and Dean Mallett. Nana Agyeman scored for RD FC.

The result meant Amici had to settle for second place while Oxhey Lions and Croxley FC Reserves finished narrowly behind.

Goals from Jason Quilley, Dan Pippin, Alex Reed and Rishi Doshi helped Croxley FC Reserves claim a 4-2 win at Dome Bar Area. Paul della Savina and Adam Taylor replied for the Dome.

Shenley Wood played out a 12-goal thriller against Railway Arms and eventually came out 7-5 winners.

The stand-out performer for Shenley was Jamie Hazel who found the net on four occasions. James Percival, James Rattray and Charlie Collicut also scored for Wood.

Railway’s replies came from Dave Brunette (2), Adam Bentley, Ashley Armstrong and Danny Woods. Division Four West Herts Reserves secured promotion and the runners-up spot after they produced a fine display to overcome champions Met Police (Bushey) 8-2.

The Stags knew they needed a victory by three clear goals to seal second place and they were ruthless throughout the contest.

Chris Blunden and Anthony Gilbert both bagged braces in the win while there were singles from Laurence Olorunfemi, Rob Boarder, Davan Desai and Allal Hamouda.