Watford Ladies grabbed their first points in the Continental Cup with a 3-1 win over London Bees on Wednesday.

Sarah Wiltshire, Megan Wynne and Renee Hector were all on target in the victory for the visitors. Taylor O’Leary’s penalty was only a consolation for the Bees.

The victory lifted Watford up to third in Group One behind Chelsea and Arsenal Ladies.

Hornets manager John Salomon was impressed with his side’s display but admitted the Golden Girls should have been more ruthless when chances came their way.

“We are pleased. We did create quite a few chances although I felt that we maybe could have been a bit more clinical,” he told the club website.

“It’s really positive to see how we’re linking up front and creating those opportunities, it’s good to see and it’s exciting to watch.

“I actually thought London Bees came out second half and gave a really good account of themselves.

“First and foremost we protected that two-goal lead, and we always knew the third goal was going to be a killer, fortunately we managed to get that third and see the game out.”

Watford started the contest brightly and Wiltshire was twice denied by London Bees goalkeeper Sophie Harris.

The Hornets were the stronger side in the opening period and chances continued to be created. Magda Mosengo shot wide for the visitors to The Hive Stadium but, in the 37th minute, the deadlock was broken.

Mosengo’s neat pass found Wiltshire through on goal and the Welsh international calmly slotted past Harris.

The Golden Girls then added a second in first-half stoppage-time. A low cross into the Bees penalty area from Kate Natkiel was met by Wynne and she tapped home at the back post.

The home side improved in the second period and Sydney Hinchcliffe wasted a good chance for London Bees as she missed the target from ten yards.

Watford came close to a third goal seven minutes after the restart but Emma Beckett’s shot was palmed clear by Harris.

London Bees then pulled a goal back from the penalty spot. Ellie Butterwick was adjudged to have committed a foul in the area and O’Leary converted from 12 yards.

The Hornets responded to conceding by introducing the lively Josie Green. She immediately created problems and Harris denied Green’s low effort with her legs.

Watford sealed their victory in the last minute or normal time. A corner was flicked on by Beckett and Hector rose highest to head past the impressive Harris.

It was a deserved victory for Watford who resume their Women’s Super League Two campaign this Sunday with a trip to Doncaster Rovers.

“Taking the three points today is going to be a boost for the girls,” Salomon said. “We’re looking forward to the Doncaster game now.”

Watford Ladies: Davey, Rowell, Hector, Gunn, Butterwick, Horwood, Beckett, Natkiel (Green 82), Wiltshire, Wynne (Heaslip 89), Mosengo (Makewell 72).