Watford have not received any new bids for Troy Deeney this week

Picture: Peter Beal

Picture: Peter Beal

First published in Sport by

Watford have not received any bids for Troy Deeney in the last week and Beppe Sannino insists the striker’s absence from the starting XI for the last three matches is not related to the player’s potential departure.

Deeney was the subject of several offers from Premier League clubs last week but the Hornets rejected them all as they did not meet the club’s valuation.

Sean Dyche has ruled Burnley out of the running in the last week and potential switches to Everton and Queens Park Rangers appear less likely following this week’s events.

Leicester City and Swansea City are two of the other clubs interested in Deeney, as are fellow Championship side Norwich City, but none have submitted any more offers this week.

We understand the Golden Boys have refused to state an asking price during negotiations, stressing they want to keep hold of their captain.

However, like all players, the club have a valuation which, if met, could result in the player departing.

Sannino has not named Deeney in his starting line-up for any of the last three matches.

The 26-year-old was not in the squad for the 1-0 victory at Boreham Wood on Thursday of last week and the club refused to explain why.

Deeney was then named on the bench against St Albans City on Saturday and Coventry City on Wednesday but did come on in both contests.

Sannino stated Deeney’s potential departure has not influenced his decision when choosing the starting XI in the last week.

“No, no. Absolutely not,” Sannino responded on Wednesday night. “Troy played in the second half because all of the players need to play. In the past Troy has played in the first half and today he played in the second. It is normal.”

He added: “For me this match was the last game where I will put on all of my players. It was important [all the players played] because they have worked hard.

“Against Udinese the players will play for almost 90 minutes.”

Burnley were the first club to submit an offer for Deeney, for an initial fee of around £4.5m plus add-ons.

It was made clear early on by Dyche that the Clarets would not be spending big this summer but it did not stop one publication claiming they had submitted an £8m offer last week.

However, Dyche told Sky Sports: “I don’t know what sort of club they think we are and I’m not sure what happened there. There must have been a financial bypass by someone for them to link us with him for £8m.”

He added: “He is among many players that we admire but we have a certain brief from the club that we have to work to and it is important that the club have a base to work from financially. We can’t entertain £8m players I can assure you of that.”

Everton watched Deeney several times late last season and Roberto Martinez confirmed earlier this week that he would be signing a ‘number nine’.

But on Wednesday it was announced the Toffees had bought Romelu Lukaku from Chelsea for a club-record fee of £28m but it is unclear whether that has ended their interest in Deeney.

QPR manager Harry Redknapp says he isn’t sure whether QPR will continue to pursue a move for Deeney either as Loic Remy may remain at Loftus Road after failing a medical with Liverpool.

Redknapp was quoted on Monday stating Rangers’ chairman Tony Fernandes had been talking to Watford over a potential deal for the Hornets striker, who scored 25 goals last season.

French international Remy was set for a switch to Merseyside at that point but the move broke down and he could now remain with the R’s.

When asked on Tuesday if Rangers were still interested in Deeney, Redknapp replied: “He’s [Deeney] a player that’s been mentioned, we’ve spoken about him. He’s a player we were interested in. Nothing has happened there at the moment but he was on the list. Whether we pursue it, I’m not sure at the moment."

Redknapp continued: “We have to wait to see what happens with Loic Remy. He's back with us now and if he’s here we need to know whether he’s going to stay or not because we can’t be losing him on transfer deadline and then not having a striker.

“You can’t go in with two strikers, with Bobby Zamora and Charlie Austin.”

Comments (12)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:40pm Thu 31 Jul 14

rousman 2 says...

If they can off load Remy QPR will be back for Troy, lets hope they can not.
If they can off load Remy QPR will be back for Troy, lets hope they can not. rousman 2
  • Score: 12

6:56pm Thu 31 Jul 14

Poppet Bear says...

Oh dear, what a shame, he'll have to stay with us. Never mind, I'm sure we'll find a space for our Captain. Great news................
Oh dear, what a shame, he'll have to stay with us. Never mind, I'm sure we'll find a space for our Captain. Great news................ Poppet Bear
  • Score: 20

6:59pm Thu 31 Jul 14

jimbowfc says...

IMO Beppe already knows what he gets from Deeney, so he does not need to see too much of him in pre-season games.
Therefore he is playing his other strikers in various positions out wide, deep etc. to see what he considers is the best way to use them; that is probably why he is using TD sparingly, simples!
IMO Beppe already knows what he gets from Deeney, so he does not need to see too much of him in pre-season games. Therefore he is playing his other strikers in various positions out wide, deep etc. to see what he considers is the best way to use them; that is probably why he is using TD sparingly, simples! jimbowfc
  • Score: 39

9:46pm Thu 31 Jul 14

lockerbiehornet says...

jimbowfc wrote:
IMO Beppe already knows what he gets from Deeney, so he does not need to see too much of him in pre-season games.
Therefore he is playing his other strikers in various positions out wide, deep etc. to see what he considers is the best way to use them; that is probably why he is using TD sparingly, simples!
Exactly what I posted last night Jim, a lot on here have moaned (and rightly fully so) about a lack of a 'Plan B', I think Bepps is trying to find out not only a plan B but also a plan C, he probably already knows Matty and Troy are lethal as a 2 up front
[quote][p][bold]jimbowfc[/bold] wrote: IMO Beppe already knows what he gets from Deeney, so he does not need to see too much of him in pre-season games. Therefore he is playing his other strikers in various positions out wide, deep etc. to see what he considers is the best way to use them; that is probably why he is using TD sparingly, simples![/p][/quote]Exactly what I posted last night Jim, a lot on here have moaned (and rightly fully so) about a lack of a 'Plan B', I think Bepps is trying to find out not only a plan B but also a plan C, he probably already knows Matty and Troy are lethal as a 2 up front lockerbiehornet
  • Score: 7

11:39pm Thu 31 Jul 14

Les Dyttle says...

When you think the play-off final is supposed to be worth £100m, it is surprising that a promoted team cannot afford £8m for a player and probably fairly conservative wages. I am sure SD must be a bit frustrated, but probably a sensible approach by Burnley when you look at their neighbours Blackpool. Anyway this approach has worked in our favour, but unfortunately QPR have a history of p***ing money against the wall.
When you think the play-off final is supposed to be worth £100m, it is surprising that a promoted team cannot afford £8m for a player and probably fairly conservative wages. I am sure SD must be a bit frustrated, but probably a sensible approach by Burnley when you look at their neighbours Blackpool. Anyway this approach has worked in our favour, but unfortunately QPR have a history of p***ing money against the wall. Les Dyttle
  • Score: 2

12:14am Fri 1 Aug 14

SJM...laugh at luton says...

Offer Troy new much improved 5 year contract to stay at Watford...

Plus million pound bonus to get Watford up...
Offer Troy new much improved 5 year contract to stay at Watford... Plus million pound bonus to get Watford up... SJM...laugh at luton
  • Score: -4

7:37am Fri 1 Aug 14

VOReason says...

SJM...laugh at luton wrote:
Offer Troy new much improved 5 year contract to stay at Watford...

Plus million pound bonus to get Watford up...
Or set a deadline of 8th August, if he isn't sold by then we will not listen to any offers. The more this drags the more it unsettles Troy, Ranegie, Vydra and probably the rest of the squad
[quote][p][bold]SJM...laugh at luton[/bold] wrote: Offer Troy new much improved 5 year contract to stay at Watford... Plus million pound bonus to get Watford up...[/p][/quote]Or set a deadline of 8th August, if he isn't sold by then we will not listen to any offers. The more this drags the more it unsettles Troy, Ranegie, Vydra and probably the rest of the squad VOReason
  • Score: 7

7:50am Fri 1 Aug 14

EltonForever says...

Big yawn - again!
Big yawn - again! EltonForever
  • Score: -6

8:26am Fri 1 Aug 14

rayman01 says...

VOReason wrote:
SJM...laugh at luton wrote:
Offer Troy new much improved 5 year contract to stay at Watford...

Plus million pound bonus to get Watford up...
Or set a deadline of 8th August, if he isn't sold by then we will not listen to any offers. The more this drags the more it unsettles Troy, Ranegie, Vydra and probably the rest of the squad
Spot on. I sick of reading the so called 'national media', social media and other syndicated rumours about Troy. Most of it is clearly pure fabrication with no benefit to the player or club. All whipped up by virtuous journalists for their EPL mates and TV companies. Nothing coming from WFC or Troy suggests we need any more speculation...SO NAFF OFF! Luv the Horns.
[quote][p][bold]VOReason[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SJM...laugh at luton[/bold] wrote: Offer Troy new much improved 5 year contract to stay at Watford... Plus million pound bonus to get Watford up...[/p][/quote]Or set a deadline of 8th August, if he isn't sold by then we will not listen to any offers. The more this drags the more it unsettles Troy, Ranegie, Vydra and probably the rest of the squad[/p][/quote]Spot on. I sick of reading the so called 'national media', social media and other syndicated rumours about Troy. Most of it is clearly pure fabrication with no benefit to the player or club. All whipped up by virtuous journalists for their EPL mates and TV companies. Nothing coming from WFC or Troy suggests we need any more speculation...SO NAFF OFF! Luv the Horns. rayman01
  • Score: 0

9:14am Fri 1 Aug 14

rayman01 says...

I should also add that not WFCs problem that Fulham and Leicester have chosen to pay inflated prices for Championship strikers. Or for that matter that Ol' Arry can't get rid of Remy...the real problem being the salary not the fee. I just hope these nouveau riche guys just go away - jog on - nothing to see here and leave us alone. Quick to slag our players off at other times and put down little old Watford. Luv the Horns!
I should also add that not WFCs problem that Fulham and Leicester have chosen to pay inflated prices for Championship strikers. Or for that matter that Ol' Arry can't get rid of Remy...the real problem being the salary not the fee. I just hope these nouveau riche guys just go away - jog on - nothing to see here and leave us alone. Quick to slag our players off at other times and put down little old Watford. Luv the Horns! rayman01
  • Score: 1

2:51pm Fri 1 Aug 14

neilhorn says...

Great business acumen from the Pozzos. They turn down 8 million pound bids without batting an eyelid. Maybe he will go, but they have already shown no-one can push them around. And what it says to the rest of the squad is - this club is serious
Great business acumen from the Pozzos. They turn down 8 million pound bids without batting an eyelid. Maybe he will go, but they have already shown no-one can push them around. And what it says to the rest of the squad is - this club is serious neilhorn
  • Score: 2

3:52pm Fri 1 Aug 14

Paul Gadd says...

Les Dyttle wrote:
When you think the play-off final is supposed to be worth £100m, it is surprising that a promoted team cannot afford £8m for a player and probably fairly conservative wages. I am sure SD must be a bit frustrated, but probably a sensible approach by Burnley when you look at their neighbours Blackpool. Anyway this approach has worked in our favour, but unfortunately QPR have a history of p***ing money against the wall.
Exactly.........thes
e promoted teams have loads of dosh, yet they want our star striker on the cheap.......

Brace yourself for a repeat of when Pardew wanted Mapps- for a bag of chips & bottle of newkie brown ale!

Splash the cash- or do one!
COYH!
[quote][p][bold]Les Dyttle[/bold] wrote: When you think the play-off final is supposed to be worth £100m, it is surprising that a promoted team cannot afford £8m for a player and probably fairly conservative wages. I am sure SD must be a bit frustrated, but probably a sensible approach by Burnley when you look at their neighbours Blackpool. Anyway this approach has worked in our favour, but unfortunately QPR have a history of p***ing money against the wall.[/p][/quote]Exactly.........thes e promoted teams have loads of dosh, yet they want our star striker on the cheap....... Brace yourself for a repeat of when Pardew wanted Mapps- for a bag of chips & bottle of newkie brown ale! Splash the cash- or do one! COYH! Paul Gadd
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree