In an era of media-trained players, Lloyd Dyer is refreshingly frank. He is straight to the point. No long-winded stereotypical answers. No ducking questions.
In ten minutes the 31-year-old discussed the reasons behind his move to Watford, why he was disappointed Leicester City “went back on their word”, his thoughts on the Hornets’ forthcoming season and why he doesn’t often speak to the press.
The 31-year-old signed a three-year deal with Watford this summer after six years at Leicester. He gave up the chance of Premier League football with the Foxes.
“That was a very tough decision for me,” he said when speaking to the Watford Observer last week.
“I had to sit down with my family and make the right decision for myself and them. I feel I’ve made the right choice.”
While he won’t feature in the top flight for Leicester, Dyer believes he may do for Watford. He feels the Hornets’ squad is talented enough to push for a promotion spot but says the players need to put in consistent performances and have the right guidance.
That should come from Beppe Sannino.
“I haven’t had much conversation with him to be honest,” Dyer admitted. “He’s got his translator and is getting there though, so he is trying to get his points across.”
The winger was one of ten players signed by Watford this summer. Matej Vydra was another and Dyer revealed the Czech Republic international played a key role in his decision to switch to Vicarage Road.
“When I signed my contract I was told he (Vydra) would re-sign with the club,” Dyer said. “That was one of the reasons that I signed my deal to be honest.
“I knew what he had done a couple of seasons ago - he was the main man in the Championship. I thought if he is signing with us then we have a good chance.”
Dyer helped Leicester rise from League 1 to the Premier League whilst with the Foxes, who won the Championship title last season.
He was offered a one-year contract to remain at the King Power Stadium and accepted that was the club’s policy for players who are 30 or over.
However, he was disappointed at a perceived turnaround by Leicester, with 30-year-old Wes Morgan signing a three-year deal at the start of July.
Dyer said: “I had six great seasons there and I love the club, I’m not going to sit here now and say I don’t. I achieved a lot.
“They offered me a one-year deal which was in line with their policy. I understood that and accepted that, but I look at Leicester and there are lads there who are over 30 but have been offered more than one year. That was disappointing to see them go against their word.
“But I am a Watford player and there is no looking back now.”
Dyer says he has settled into the Watford squad easily. One of the few players he knew prior to the move was Troy Deeney as both live in the Birmingham area, although Dyer is looking to move closer to Watford.
Deeney has been the subject of several Premier League bids this summer, including from Dyer’s former club Leicester.
“If we keep him then it would help us have a better season,” the winger said. “If Troy Deeney stays at Watford that’s a bonus but it’s not my decision, I am just here to play.”
What position Dyer will play is still open for debate. With Sannino favouring a 3-5-2 formation against Bolton Wanderers on Saturday, it could mean Dyer will be used as a wing-back.
“I’ll do a job there,” Dyer said. “But I like to play further up to be honest because I feel I can offer more.”
It’s difficult to understand why Dyer is reluctant to partake in media interviews as he is affable and relaxed as we chat.
But he explains: “During my career I am a man that does his talking on the pitch. I don’t want to be in the limelight, it’s not my style at all.
“That’s what I’ve been like over the years. All that stuff like Twitter and other things, I don’t get involved in social media. I keep myself to myself.
“Too many players get caught up in it and let people in. I don’t need that, I’ve got my family.”