Beppe Sannino: I resigned for the benefit of myself and Watford

Sannino: I resigned for the benefit of myself and Watford

Sannino: I resigned for the benefit of myself and Watford

First published in Sport
Last updated
by

Beppe Sannino stated he resigned as Watford’s head coach for the benefit of himself and the club and said “I feel I have gone as far as I can”.

Sannino today handed in his resignation and his departure was confirmed by the club tonight.

The Italian’s passion for his job and Watford has never been in doubt but his managerial style has long concerned players, and also the club.

His aggressive nature, communication and training are all understood to be issues.

The Watford Observer revealed 12 days ago that Sannino’s future was in serious doubt and he has today walked, seemingly, before he was potentially pushed.

It is a bizarre situation considering Watford are currently second in the Championship table but things have not been right at Vicarage Road for some time.

Watford’s statement included comments from Sannino where he offered a brief explanation for why he has taken the decision to resign.

"I took over a very talented squad when I arrived - but they were boys in many ways", the 57-year-old said.

"I'm proud of what we have achieved and I have no doubt that the squad now, who look very much like men who know exactly what they must do, are very capable of getting promotion from this tough Championship league."

He added: "I know I have given everything to Watford; I have given my heart and soul to the job and I have been happy to do this because of the wonderful support I have received from everyone - and most of all the fans, who are truly amazing.

"However I feel I have gone as far as I can so, for the benefit of me and the club, I feel the time is right for me to move on.

"I am convinced whoever will be in charge in the future will have everything ready for him to deliver the success that everyone at the club would wish for".

The Pozzos took over the club two years ago and this summer have constructed a squad geared for automatic promotion, with the signing of several older players with experience of English football. The club also decided against selling their prized asset Troy Deeney as they bid for a place in the Premier League.

Sannino joined the Golden Boys in December and helped improve the club’s poor form, which resulted in Gianfranco Zola’s departure.

Once the club’s play-off hopes ended, the Hornets lost their final three matches to end the campaign in 13th place.

There were arguments between Sannino and the players towards the end of last season but the club decided to stick with the Italian.

However, the issues between the club and Sannino, as well as the head coach and the players, continued and his job has been in serious doubt for more than two weeks.

Yesterday Sannino told the Watford Observer he would be travelling back to Italy for a few days before returning to training, with the rest of the players, on Tuesday.

Sannino stated he had not asked the club to clarify if his future was in serious doubt because he believed “the results are speaking clearly”.

Watford have two weeks until their next match due to the international break.

Click here and here to read Sannino's thoughts from his final game in charge, yesterday's 4-2 victory against Huddersfield Town  

Comments (32)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:36pm Sun 31 Aug 14

Ramageland says...

I agree that Beppe doesn't really have enough to get us up but player power is sh*te. Take McGugan (if he was one of the ringleaders) - there is a player that could have benefitted from extra training, but he takes the easy route and has a tantrum. Hopefully one of the new manager's first jobs is to bin the cry babies and let the real footballers get on with the job of winning promotion. When Drenthe threw his toys out the pram at Reading, he found himself playing with the u18s. People moaned that Zola wasn't hard enough with the players, make up your minds!
I agree that Beppe doesn't really have enough to get us up but player power is sh*te. Take McGugan (if he was one of the ringleaders) - there is a player that could have benefitted from extra training, but he takes the easy route and has a tantrum. Hopefully one of the new manager's first jobs is to bin the cry babies and let the real footballers get on with the job of winning promotion. When Drenthe threw his toys out the pram at Reading, he found himself playing with the u18s. People moaned that Zola wasn't hard enough with the players, make up your minds! Ramageland
  • Score: 39

10:37pm Sun 31 Aug 14

EltonForever says...

Shame on all those,be they highly overpaid prima donna players or just hyper critical fans, who have forced him out. Just remember where we stood in the table when you start bleating again. Shame on you.
Shame on all those,be they highly overpaid prima donna players or just hyper critical fans, who have forced him out. Just remember where we stood in the table when you start bleating again. Shame on you. EltonForever
  • Score: 39

10:40pm Sun 31 Aug 14

Bush Hornet says...

Feel for the guy. Gave his all. He's obviously eccentric in his passion, to say the least. I'm grateful for the strong position he's left us in. Ridiculous to blame this on Wobbly journos. Onwards and upwards. No man is bigger than the club.
Feel for the guy. Gave his all. He's obviously eccentric in his passion, to say the least. I'm grateful for the strong position he's left us in. Ridiculous to blame this on Wobbly journos. Onwards and upwards. No man is bigger than the club. Bush Hornet
  • Score: 36

10:44pm Sun 31 Aug 14

EltonForever says...

Bush Hornet wrote:
Feel for the guy. Gave his all. He's obviously eccentric in his passion, to say the least. I'm grateful for the strong position he's left us in. Ridiculous to blame this on Wobbly journos. Onwards and upwards. No man is bigger than the club.
...I agree, no man is bigger than the Club, that is of course, unless that man is McGugan, Dyer or even dare I say it, Deeney, or any other player who is averse to discipline.
[quote][p][bold]Bush Hornet[/bold] wrote: Feel for the guy. Gave his all. He's obviously eccentric in his passion, to say the least. I'm grateful for the strong position he's left us in. Ridiculous to blame this on Wobbly journos. Onwards and upwards. No man is bigger than the club.[/p][/quote]...I agree, no man is bigger than the Club, that is of course, unless that man is McGugan, Dyer or even dare I say it, Deeney, or any other player who is averse to discipline. EltonForever
  • Score: 8

10:49pm Sun 31 Aug 14

mkhornet says...

Latest news: The owners have asked the players for permission to talk to Oscar Garcia!
Latest news: The owners have asked the players for permission to talk to Oscar Garcia! mkhornet
  • Score: 28

10:56pm Sun 31 Aug 14

JonBoy says...

OK so where are the fools who said Frank was stirring it? The planks who said he had his own agenda? Do they think the Pozzos followed Frank or that Frank followed the story? Let's all look at those old postings and see who the idiots were. Big apologies in order here. Well done Frank you did us a great service in investigating an important story.
OK so where are the fools who said Frank was stirring it? The planks who said he had his own agenda? Do they think the Pozzos followed Frank or that Frank followed the story? Let's all look at those old postings and see who the idiots were. Big apologies in order here. Well done Frank you did us a great service in investigating an important story. JonBoy
  • Score: 5

10:56pm Sun 31 Aug 14

nevergonnamakeit says...

Deeney should've gone when he had the chance, Now he'll go for half the amount ! See you in the Championship AGAIN next season !
Deeney should've gone when he had the chance, Now he'll go for half the amount ! See you in the Championship AGAIN next season ! nevergonnamakeit
  • Score: -58

10:57pm Sun 31 Aug 14

Nordin Wooter says...

mkhornet wrote:
Latest news: The owners have asked the players for permission to talk to Oscar Garcia!
Oscar Garcia has managed in the championship but aside from that his record hardly fills me with confidence. Come on pozzo's, don't rush into anything and get the right person please!
[quote][p][bold]mkhornet[/bold] wrote: Latest news: The owners have asked the players for permission to talk to Oscar Garcia![/p][/quote]Oscar Garcia has managed in the championship but aside from that his record hardly fills me with confidence. Come on pozzo's, don't rush into anything and get the right person please! Nordin Wooter
  • Score: 22

10:58pm Sun 31 Aug 14

Scullion says...

Tim Sherwood would be wonderful......even Malky might be an interesting choice.....Fillipo Galli just doesn't have experience for top managers role.....Patrik Kluivert would be even more interesting ...Garcia? No way.
Good luck to whoever gets the job......
Tim Sherwood would be wonderful......even Malky might be an interesting choice.....Fillipo Galli just doesn't have experience for top managers role.....Patrik Kluivert would be even more interesting ...Garcia? No way. Good luck to whoever gets the job...... Scullion
  • Score: -12

11:26pm Sun 31 Aug 14

Stewbyhorn1 says...

Brighton fans are saying although he is a nice bloke etc his style of play is slow and the credit went to his right hand man, with the start we've had and the squad we have got this year will be our biggest chance. I have worked with management with no man management skills but their results have been top notch sounds like the Sannino situation, a big shame as he's done well for us and I wish him well for the future.
Let's not rush into a decision but have a look who's available and make sure they have the experience and style that suits us
Brighton fans are saying although he is a nice bloke etc his style of play is slow and the credit went to his right hand man, with the start we've had and the squad we have got this year will be our biggest chance. I have worked with management with no man management skills but their results have been top notch sounds like the Sannino situation, a big shame as he's done well for us and I wish him well for the future. Let's not rush into a decision but have a look who's available and make sure they have the experience and style that suits us Stewbyhorn1
  • Score: 10

11:39pm Sun 31 Aug 14

Internet-Sam says...

The results have spoken for themselves, Saninno was bringing the hornets success and consistent results. The manager is in charge, not the players, and he must be accountable if the results don't materialise. Player power is another form of snarky, you can't allow the players to pick the team or the manager, if they don't like it they should go!
I'm really disappointed in the Pozzo's lack of support for Saninno, and players like Dyer and McGugan, and anyone else who thinks they are mire important than the manager should go, as the true fans won't want them at our club! Nigel.
The results have spoken for themselves, Saninno was bringing the hornets success and consistent results. The manager is in charge, not the players, and he must be accountable if the results don't materialise. Player power is another form of snarky, you can't allow the players to pick the team or the manager, if they don't like it they should go! I'm really disappointed in the Pozzo's lack of support for Saninno, and players like Dyer and McGugan, and anyone else who thinks they are mire important than the manager should go, as the true fans won't want them at our club! Nigel. Internet-Sam
  • Score: 17

11:46pm Sun 31 Aug 14

Internet-Sam says...

If our results take a dive now, that's the fault of the club and the players, and will confirm that Saninno should have been supported by the Pozzo's.
The players are exactly that, players, not managers, not the coach, and don't pick the team. I'm angry that Saninno has gone when the results are going so well.
If our results take a dive now, that's the fault of the club and the players, and will confirm that Saninno should have been supported by the Pozzo's. The players are exactly that, players, not managers, not the coach, and don't pick the team. I'm angry that Saninno has gone when the results are going so well. Internet-Sam
  • Score: 14

11:51pm Sun 31 Aug 14

D.unstable says...

The writing has been on the wall for some time and although it may seem harsh purely because of our current position, the Pozzo's have to make the right decisions for the long term future of the club whilst not just considering the here and now.

I feel for Sannino as you never want to see somebody who clearly has tried his best and given his all lose his job.

I will not pretend otherwise but since the final games of last season I have known that he does not have what we need to sustain a promotion push and get the best out of the calibre of squad that we have been blessed.

This has obviously not been a rash decision and I am sure that whoever is appointed will have been considered now for some time.

Ultimately, in the Pozzo's I trust.
The writing has been on the wall for some time and although it may seem harsh purely because of our current position, the Pozzo's have to make the right decisions for the long term future of the club whilst not just considering the here and now. I feel for Sannino as you never want to see somebody who clearly has tried his best and given his all lose his job. I will not pretend otherwise but since the final games of last season I have known that he does not have what we need to sustain a promotion push and get the best out of the calibre of squad that we have been blessed. This has obviously not been a rash decision and I am sure that whoever is appointed will have been considered now for some time. Ultimately, in the Pozzo's I trust. D.unstable
  • Score: 14

12:12am Mon 1 Sep 14

Internet-Sam says...

D.unstable wrote:
The writing has been on the wall for some time and although it may seem harsh purely because of our current position, the Pozzo's have to make the right decisions for the long term future of the club whilst not just considering the here and now.

I feel for Sannino as you never want to see somebody who clearly has tried his best and given his all lose his job.

I will not pretend otherwise but since the final games of last season I have known that he does not have what we need to sustain a promotion push and get the best out of the calibre of squad that we have been blessed.

This has obviously not been a rash decision and I am sure that whoever is appointed will have been considered now for some time.

Ultimately, in the Pozzo's I trust.
Although I agree with your rational comment, what dies concern me is the player power element of the decision. I don't want our club to allow players to determine who is the manager, who plays, or tactics. Player attitude has to be to support the manager and the club, not their own interests. McGugan is a good exam like, he offers the club nothing, he's lazy, but expects a first team selection. Nobody has a right to a first team place, they have to earn it and maintain it. There needs to be a clear hierarchy with the players obeying the manager and coach.
[quote][p][bold]D.unstable[/bold] wrote: The writing has been on the wall for some time and although it may seem harsh purely because of our current position, the Pozzo's have to make the right decisions for the long term future of the club whilst not just considering the here and now. I feel for Sannino as you never want to see somebody who clearly has tried his best and given his all lose his job. I will not pretend otherwise but since the final games of last season I have known that he does not have what we need to sustain a promotion push and get the best out of the calibre of squad that we have been blessed. This has obviously not been a rash decision and I am sure that whoever is appointed will have been considered now for some time. Ultimately, in the Pozzo's I trust.[/p][/quote]Although I agree with your rational comment, what dies concern me is the player power element of the decision. I don't want our club to allow players to determine who is the manager, who plays, or tactics. Player attitude has to be to support the manager and the club, not their own interests. McGugan is a good exam like, he offers the club nothing, he's lazy, but expects a first team selection. Nobody has a right to a first team place, they have to earn it and maintain it. There needs to be a clear hierarchy with the players obeying the manager and coach. Internet-Sam
  • Score: 6

12:47am Mon 1 Sep 14

D.unstable says...

Internet-Sam wrote:
D.unstable wrote:
The writing has been on the wall for some time and although it may seem harsh purely because of our current position, the Pozzo's have to make the right decisions for the long term future of the club whilst not just considering the here and now.

I feel for Sannino as you never want to see somebody who clearly has tried his best and given his all lose his job.

I will not pretend otherwise but since the final games of last season I have known that he does not have what we need to sustain a promotion push and get the best out of the calibre of squad that we have been blessed.

This has obviously not been a rash decision and I am sure that whoever is appointed will have been considered now for some time.

Ultimately, in the Pozzo's I trust.
Although I agree with your rational comment, what dies concern me is the player power element of the decision. I don't want our club to allow players to determine who is the manager, who plays, or tactics. Player attitude has to be to support the manager and the club, not their own interests. McGugan is a good exam like, he offers the club nothing, he's lazy, but expects a first team selection. Nobody has a right to a first team place, they have to earn it and maintain it. There needs to be a clear hierarchy with the players obeying the manager and coach.
Absolutely you cannot allow players to rule the roost, but equally you have to consider that they are professionals who want success in their own careers, therefore if they are being suppressed or managed in a way that they feel they are not being shown in the best light, surely they have reason for complaint.

I think credit to a number of the players for continuing to put in winning performances despite the behind the scenes difficulties.

If your boss continuously made you work in a way that you and your colleagues knew wasn't getting the best out of you, would you not speak up when ultimately you will get a share of the 5hit stick when objectives aren't met.
[quote][p][bold]Internet-Sam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]D.unstable[/bold] wrote: The writing has been on the wall for some time and although it may seem harsh purely because of our current position, the Pozzo's have to make the right decisions for the long term future of the club whilst not just considering the here and now. I feel for Sannino as you never want to see somebody who clearly has tried his best and given his all lose his job. I will not pretend otherwise but since the final games of last season I have known that he does not have what we need to sustain a promotion push and get the best out of the calibre of squad that we have been blessed. This has obviously not been a rash decision and I am sure that whoever is appointed will have been considered now for some time. Ultimately, in the Pozzo's I trust.[/p][/quote]Although I agree with your rational comment, what dies concern me is the player power element of the decision. I don't want our club to allow players to determine who is the manager, who plays, or tactics. Player attitude has to be to support the manager and the club, not their own interests. McGugan is a good exam like, he offers the club nothing, he's lazy, but expects a first team selection. Nobody has a right to a first team place, they have to earn it and maintain it. There needs to be a clear hierarchy with the players obeying the manager and coach.[/p][/quote]Absolutely you cannot allow players to rule the roost, but equally you have to consider that they are professionals who want success in their own careers, therefore if they are being suppressed or managed in a way that they feel they are not being shown in the best light, surely they have reason for complaint. I think credit to a number of the players for continuing to put in winning performances despite the behind the scenes difficulties. If your boss continuously made you work in a way that you and your colleagues knew wasn't getting the best out of you, would you not speak up when ultimately you will get a share of the 5hit stick when objectives aren't met. D.unstable
  • Score: 4

2:18am Mon 1 Sep 14

green chilli says...

Internet sam
Did you mis the game of the season thats the best weve played in the middle of the park let me think who played?
Internet sam Did you mis the game of the season thats the best weve played in the middle of the park let me think who played? green chilli
  • Score: 3

2:55am Mon 1 Sep 14

PozzoHornet says...

Extremely disappointed with Gino atm. I don't care whether his 'aggressive style' was ruffling feathers and making people uncomfortable, it was yielding results. Sure, fire him if the team start losing, fire him if he 'does a Malky', but as long as he's winning, keep him in charge.

What makes it worse is that Pozzo is trying wash his hands of the affair by getting Sannino to come out with some BS about feeling he's "gone as far as he can". This, from a man who about 24 hours ago said that "the results speak for themselves". B*llocks. This is a weak attempt from GP to cover his own ar*e and say, "Beppe walked, it wasn't me" if things take a turn for the worse, which, statistically speaking, they probably will. If we aren't promoted this season Gino should take a significant portion of the flak for mismanaging this situation. The ownership had a few alternative routes to go down on this one.

Option 1) Don't hire Sannino in the first place. As I remember, one of the major reasons Beppe was appointed was because the Pozzos knew what he was all about and trusted him to turn us around. Beppe was supposed to be their man, and if they thought his character might cause a problem in the long term, they shouldn't have hired him or...

Option 2) Fired him in the summer. By the summer, there was already dressing room unrest. We know this. Coupled with the abysmal end to last season, they had at least a basis on which to fire him. But no, they gave him a full pre-season, which suggested they were going to...

Option 3) Keep the faith. The start of the season is the point of no return. If you let the man have all that preparation time, you give him until at least January, even if players are kicking up a fuss. If things are going bad at that point, get rid, but otherwise, he should be comfortable in his job.

No doubt, some of you, if not the majority, will take any criticism of the owners as blasphemy and remind me of the many wonderful things they've done for us in the past couple of years, and the fact that their interests are parallel with ours, and so on. I completely agree with you, I love our owners, and am extremely grateful for everything they've done, and recognise they've made this decision for what they believe is the good of the club. But, just because they've done those things, and want us to succeed, doesn't mean they're exempt from criticism. They're not infallible, and here they've made a big and potentially very costly error.

On a final note, one has to feel for Sannino. It would appear he's been forced out by the demon that is player power, and it's effectively another sacking to add to his CV. Unfortunately for him, I suspect that no matter how much he tries to explain the various misfortunes that he has endured, from Palermo's owner to this debacle, future employers will mark this down as another cross against his name. I wish him all the best for the future, because he's been nothing but hard-working, genuine and at times quite entertaining whilst he's been with us.
Extremely disappointed with Gino atm. I don't care whether his 'aggressive style' was ruffling feathers and making people uncomfortable, it was yielding results. Sure, fire him if the team start losing, fire him if he 'does a Malky', but as long as he's winning, keep him in charge. What makes it worse is that Pozzo is trying wash his hands of the affair by getting Sannino to come out with some BS about feeling he's "gone as far as he can". This, from a man who about 24 hours ago said that "the results speak for themselves". B*llocks. This is a weak attempt from GP to cover his own ar*e and say, "Beppe walked, it wasn't me" if things take a turn for the worse, which, statistically speaking, they probably will. If we aren't promoted this season Gino should take a significant portion of the flak for mismanaging this situation. The ownership had a few alternative routes to go down on this one. Option 1) Don't hire Sannino in the first place. As I remember, one of the major reasons Beppe was appointed was because the Pozzos knew what he was all about and trusted him to turn us around. Beppe was supposed to be their man, and if they thought his character might cause a problem in the long term, they shouldn't have hired him or... Option 2) Fired him in the summer. By the summer, there was already dressing room unrest. We know this. Coupled with the abysmal end to last season, they had at least a basis on which to fire him. But no, they gave him a full pre-season, which suggested they were going to... Option 3) Keep the faith. The start of the season is the point of no return. If you let the man have all that preparation time, you give him until at least January, even if players are kicking up a fuss. If things are going bad at that point, get rid, but otherwise, he should be comfortable in his job. No doubt, some of you, if not the majority, will take any criticism of the owners as blasphemy and remind me of the many wonderful things they've done for us in the past couple of years, and the fact that their interests are parallel with ours, and so on. I completely agree with you, I love our owners, and am extremely grateful for everything they've done, and recognise they've made this decision for what they believe is the good of the club. But, just because they've done those things, and want us to succeed, doesn't mean they're exempt from criticism. They're not infallible, and here they've made a big and potentially very costly error. On a final note, one has to feel for Sannino. It would appear he's been forced out by the demon that is player power, and it's effectively another sacking to add to his CV. Unfortunately for him, I suspect that no matter how much he tries to explain the various misfortunes that he has endured, from Palermo's owner to this debacle, future employers will mark this down as another cross against his name. I wish him all the best for the future, because he's been nothing but hard-working, genuine and at times quite entertaining whilst he's been with us. PozzoHornet
  • Score: 34

6:04am Mon 1 Sep 14

downunderorn says...

Only time will tell?? Thank you Beppe, you have been a breath of fresh air and I am sure you will on to your next adventure very soon.
Lets hope your successor has the same passion drive that enables us to make promotion possible.
When did a watford manager last resign when we were second in the league??
Arrivederci Beppe
Only time will tell?? Thank you Beppe, you have been a breath of fresh air and I am sure you will on to your next adventure very soon. Lets hope your successor has the same passion drive that enables us to make promotion possible. When did a watford manager last resign when we were second in the league?? Arrivederci Beppe downunderorn
  • Score: 13

7:53am Mon 1 Sep 14

Internet-Sam says...

PozzoHornet wrote:
Extremely disappointed with Gino atm. I don't care whether his 'aggressive style' was ruffling feathers and making people uncomfortable, it was yielding results. Sure, fire him if the team start losing, fire him if he 'does a Malky', but as long as he's winning, keep him in charge.

What makes it worse is that Pozzo is trying wash his hands of the affair by getting Sannino to come out with some BS about feeling he's "gone as far as he can". This, from a man who about 24 hours ago said that "the results speak for themselves". B*llocks. This is a weak attempt from GP to cover his own ar*e and say, "Beppe walked, it wasn't me" if things take a turn for the worse, which, statistically speaking, they probably will. If we aren't promoted this season Gino should take a significant portion of the flak for mismanaging this situation. The ownership had a few alternative routes to go down on this one.

Option 1) Don't hire Sannino in the first place. As I remember, one of the major reasons Beppe was appointed was because the Pozzos knew what he was all about and trusted him to turn us around. Beppe was supposed to be their man, and if they thought his character might cause a problem in the long term, they shouldn't have hired him or...

Option 2) Fired him in the summer. By the summer, there was already dressing room unrest. We know this. Coupled with the abysmal end to last season, they had at least a basis on which to fire him. But no, they gave him a full pre-season, which suggested they were going to...

Option 3) Keep the faith. The start of the season is the point of no return. If you let the man have all that preparation time, you give him until at least January, even if players are kicking up a fuss. If things are going bad at that point, get rid, but otherwise, he should be comfortable in his job.

No doubt, some of you, if not the majority, will take any criticism of the owners as blasphemy and remind me of the many wonderful things they've done for us in the past couple of years, and the fact that their interests are parallel with ours, and so on. I completely agree with you, I love our owners, and am extremely grateful for everything they've done, and recognise they've made this decision for what they believe is the good of the club. But, just because they've done those things, and want us to succeed, doesn't mean they're exempt from criticism. They're not infallible, and here they've made a big and potentially very costly error.

On a final note, one has to feel for Sannino. It would appear he's been forced out by the demon that is player power, and it's effectively another sacking to add to his CV. Unfortunately for him, I suspect that no matter how much he tries to explain the various misfortunes that he has endured, from Palermo's owner to this debacle, future employers will mark this down as another cross against his name. I wish him all the best for the future, because he's been nothing but hard-working, genuine and at times quite entertaining whilst he's been with us.
PozzoHornet - I agree with everything you say.
Saninno leaving is a BIG mistake, the Pozzo's should have continued to support him while he was getting strong results, and player power should NEVER be allowed to influence the future of the manager.
[quote][p][bold]PozzoHornet[/bold] wrote: Extremely disappointed with Gino atm. I don't care whether his 'aggressive style' was ruffling feathers and making people uncomfortable, it was yielding results. Sure, fire him if the team start losing, fire him if he 'does a Malky', but as long as he's winning, keep him in charge. What makes it worse is that Pozzo is trying wash his hands of the affair by getting Sannino to come out with some BS about feeling he's "gone as far as he can". This, from a man who about 24 hours ago said that "the results speak for themselves". B*llocks. This is a weak attempt from GP to cover his own ar*e and say, "Beppe walked, it wasn't me" if things take a turn for the worse, which, statistically speaking, they probably will. If we aren't promoted this season Gino should take a significant portion of the flak for mismanaging this situation. The ownership had a few alternative routes to go down on this one. Option 1) Don't hire Sannino in the first place. As I remember, one of the major reasons Beppe was appointed was because the Pozzos knew what he was all about and trusted him to turn us around. Beppe was supposed to be their man, and if they thought his character might cause a problem in the long term, they shouldn't have hired him or... Option 2) Fired him in the summer. By the summer, there was already dressing room unrest. We know this. Coupled with the abysmal end to last season, they had at least a basis on which to fire him. But no, they gave him a full pre-season, which suggested they were going to... Option 3) Keep the faith. The start of the season is the point of no return. If you let the man have all that preparation time, you give him until at least January, even if players are kicking up a fuss. If things are going bad at that point, get rid, but otherwise, he should be comfortable in his job. No doubt, some of you, if not the majority, will take any criticism of the owners as blasphemy and remind me of the many wonderful things they've done for us in the past couple of years, and the fact that their interests are parallel with ours, and so on. I completely agree with you, I love our owners, and am extremely grateful for everything they've done, and recognise they've made this decision for what they believe is the good of the club. But, just because they've done those things, and want us to succeed, doesn't mean they're exempt from criticism. They're not infallible, and here they've made a big and potentially very costly error. On a final note, one has to feel for Sannino. It would appear he's been forced out by the demon that is player power, and it's effectively another sacking to add to his CV. Unfortunately for him, I suspect that no matter how much he tries to explain the various misfortunes that he has endured, from Palermo's owner to this debacle, future employers will mark this down as another cross against his name. I wish him all the best for the future, because he's been nothing but hard-working, genuine and at times quite entertaining whilst he's been with us.[/p][/quote]PozzoHornet - I agree with everything you say. Saninno leaving is a BIG mistake, the Pozzo's should have continued to support him while he was getting strong results, and player power should NEVER be allowed to influence the future of the manager. Internet-Sam
  • Score: 6

7:57am Mon 1 Sep 14

Internet-Sam says...

Scullion wrote:
Tim Sherwood would be wonderful......even Malky might be an interesting choice.....Fillipo Galli just doesn't have experience for top managers role.....Patrik Kluivert would be even more interesting ...Garcia? No way.
Good luck to whoever gets the job......
Good luck to whoever we get, they're going to need it while he is pussyfooting around the player for fear of losing his job!
[quote][p][bold]Scullion[/bold] wrote: Tim Sherwood would be wonderful......even Malky might be an interesting choice.....Fillipo Galli just doesn't have experience for top managers role.....Patrik Kluivert would be even more interesting ...Garcia? No way. Good luck to whoever gets the job......[/p][/quote]Good luck to whoever we get, they're going to need it while he is pussyfooting around the player for fear of losing his job! Internet-Sam
  • Score: 5

8:00am Mon 1 Sep 14

Internet-Sam says...

D.unstable wrote:
Internet-Sam wrote:
D.unstable wrote:
The writing has been on the wall for some time and although it may seem harsh purely because of our current position, the Pozzo's have to make the right decisions for the long term future of the club whilst not just considering the here and now.

I feel for Sannino as you never want to see somebody who clearly has tried his best and given his all lose his job.

I will not pretend otherwise but since the final games of last season I have known that he does not have what we need to sustain a promotion push and get the best out of the calibre of squad that we have been blessed.

This has obviously not been a rash decision and I am sure that whoever is appointed will have been considered now for some time.

Ultimately, in the Pozzo's I trust.
Although I agree with your rational comment, what dies concern me is the player power element of the decision. I don't want our club to allow players to determine who is the manager, who plays, or tactics. Player attitude has to be to support the manager and the club, not their own interests. McGugan is a good exam like, he offers the club nothing, he's lazy, but expects a first team selection. Nobody has a right to a first team place, they have to earn it and maintain it. There needs to be a clear hierarchy with the players obeying the manager and coach.
Absolutely you cannot allow players to rule the roost, but equally you have to consider that they are professionals who want success in their own careers, therefore if they are being suppressed or managed in a way that they feel they are not being shown in the best light, surely they have reason for complaint.

I think credit to a number of the players for continuing to put in winning performances despite the behind the scenes difficulties.

If your boss continuously made you work in a way that you and your colleagues knew wasn't getting the best out of you, would you not speak up when ultimately you will get a share of the 5hit stick when objectives aren't met.
If they don't like it, they could leave. That's the way it works in the real world!
[quote][p][bold]D.unstable[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Internet-Sam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]D.unstable[/bold] wrote: The writing has been on the wall for some time and although it may seem harsh purely because of our current position, the Pozzo's have to make the right decisions for the long term future of the club whilst not just considering the here and now. I feel for Sannino as you never want to see somebody who clearly has tried his best and given his all lose his job. I will not pretend otherwise but since the final games of last season I have known that he does not have what we need to sustain a promotion push and get the best out of the calibre of squad that we have been blessed. This has obviously not been a rash decision and I am sure that whoever is appointed will have been considered now for some time. Ultimately, in the Pozzo's I trust.[/p][/quote]Although I agree with your rational comment, what dies concern me is the player power element of the decision. I don't want our club to allow players to determine who is the manager, who plays, or tactics. Player attitude has to be to support the manager and the club, not their own interests. McGugan is a good exam like, he offers the club nothing, he's lazy, but expects a first team selection. Nobody has a right to a first team place, they have to earn it and maintain it. There needs to be a clear hierarchy with the players obeying the manager and coach.[/p][/quote]Absolutely you cannot allow players to rule the roost, but equally you have to consider that they are professionals who want success in their own careers, therefore if they are being suppressed or managed in a way that they feel they are not being shown in the best light, surely they have reason for complaint. I think credit to a number of the players for continuing to put in winning performances despite the behind the scenes difficulties. If your boss continuously made you work in a way that you and your colleagues knew wasn't getting the best out of you, would you not speak up when ultimately you will get a share of the 5hit stick when objectives aren't met.[/p][/quote]If they don't like it, they could leave. That's the way it works in the real world! Internet-Sam
  • Score: 3

8:25am Mon 1 Sep 14

northofwatfordpete says...

Certain players are being singled out for criticism and I am not totally sure that this is warranted. No one knows for sure why Sannino has left other than the Pozzos were dissatisfied and have been looking for a replacement for sometime. We have a talented and experienced squad and now need a manager who can consistently get the best out of the group.

I believe that one famous manager once said after being asked what he felt was the key to successful management - 'To keep the half a dozen players away from the 6 who have yet to make up their mind'.
Certain players are being singled out for criticism and I am not totally sure that this is warranted. No one knows for sure why Sannino has left other than the Pozzos were dissatisfied and have been looking for a replacement for sometime. We have a talented and experienced squad and now need a manager who can consistently get the best out of the group. I believe that one famous manager once said after being asked what he felt was the key to successful management - 'To keep the half a dozen players away from the 6 who have yet to make up their mind'. northofwatfordpete
  • Score: 2

8:30am Mon 1 Sep 14

northofwatfordpete says...

northofwatfordpete wrote:
Certain players are being singled out for criticism and I am not totally sure that this is warranted. No one knows for sure why Sannino has left other than the Pozzos were dissatisfied and have been looking for a replacement for sometime. We have a talented and experienced squad and now need a manager who can consistently get the best out of the group.

I believe that one famous manager once said after being asked what he felt was the key to successful management - 'To keep the half a dozen players away from the 6 who have yet to make up their mind'.
Apologies should have been: 'To keep the half dozen players who don't like you away from the 6 who have yet to make up their mind'.
[quote][p][bold]northofwatfordpete[/bold] wrote: Certain players are being singled out for criticism and I am not totally sure that this is warranted. No one knows for sure why Sannino has left other than the Pozzos were dissatisfied and have been looking for a replacement for sometime. We have a talented and experienced squad and now need a manager who can consistently get the best out of the group. I believe that one famous manager once said after being asked what he felt was the key to successful management - 'To keep the half a dozen players away from the 6 who have yet to make up their mind'.[/p][/quote]Apologies should have been: 'To keep the half dozen players who don't like you away from the 6 who have yet to make up their mind'. northofwatfordpete
  • Score: 5

9:05am Mon 1 Sep 14

longcliffe says...

Such a shame, no doubt you will appoint another Italian for your tinpot club.
Such a shame, no doubt you will appoint another Italian for your tinpot club. longcliffe
  • Score: -13

9:53am Mon 1 Sep 14

watford4ever says...

EltonForever wrote:
Shame on all those,be they highly overpaid prima donna players or just hyper critical fans, who have forced him out. Just remember where we stood in the table when you start bleating again. Shame on you.
Agree. If we don't get promoted now everyone involved in this decision will have to question themselves.
[quote][p][bold]EltonForever[/bold] wrote: Shame on all those,be they highly overpaid prima donna players or just hyper critical fans, who have forced him out. Just remember where we stood in the table when you start bleating again. Shame on you.[/p][/quote]Agree. If we don't get promoted now everyone involved in this decision will have to question themselves. watford4ever
  • Score: 2

9:53am Mon 1 Sep 14

garston tony says...

The Pozzo's must surely have known his managerial style when they signed him up as manager, unless he turned into this angry ogre that we've heard about the day after coming to WFC!

In that case then I feel sorry for him, the owners should have backed him against the players as they knew how he would manage them. Doubly so as his management has gotten us to 2nd in the table whilst Zola's soflty softly approach was leading the club down the table.

The owners have made a rod for their own backs by not backing Sannino leading to him resigning, the players will now believe they have more power than the manager regardless of who it is that comes in next and that is not a healthy thing.

And if the players involved are thinking about their own careers, do we want players at the club who are putting themselves first and club second? Whats could be better for your career than playing in a team that is second in the league? Whats not good for your career is being seen to pressuring a manager into resigning because you dont want to work harder in training!
The Pozzo's must surely have known his managerial style when they signed him up as manager, unless he turned into this angry ogre that we've heard about the day after coming to WFC! In that case then I feel sorry for him, the owners should have backed him against the players as they knew how he would manage them. Doubly so as his management has gotten us to 2nd in the table whilst Zola's soflty softly approach was leading the club down the table. The owners have made a rod for their own backs by not backing Sannino leading to him resigning, the players will now believe they have more power than the manager regardless of who it is that comes in next and that is not a healthy thing. And if the players involved are thinking about their own careers, do we want players at the club who are putting themselves first and club second? Whats could be better for your career than playing in a team that is second in the league? Whats not good for your career is being seen to pressuring a manager into resigning because you dont want to work harder in training! garston tony
  • Score: 3

10:01am Mon 1 Sep 14

watford4ever says...

This is a very messy situation and the timing crazy!. Only promotion will justify this decision, anything else will confirm that this was not sensible or justified.
And Watford Observer, reporters are there to report facts, we are not interested in their opinions, give us the facts, that is your job we can then form our own opinions. Hold your head in shame for your part in this.
This is a very messy situation and the timing crazy!. Only promotion will justify this decision, anything else will confirm that this was not sensible or justified. And Watford Observer, reporters are there to report facts, we are not interested in their opinions, give us the facts, that is your job we can then form our own opinions. Hold your head in shame for your part in this. watford4ever
  • Score: 0

10:27am Mon 1 Sep 14

Oracledave says...

northofwatfordpete wrote:
northofwatfordpete wrote:
Certain players are being singled out for criticism and I am not totally sure that this is warranted. No one knows for sure why Sannino has left other than the Pozzos were dissatisfied and have been looking for a replacement for sometime. We have a talented and experienced squad and now need a manager who can consistently get the best out of the group.

I believe that one famous manager once said after being asked what he felt was the key to successful management - 'To keep the half a dozen players away from the 6 who have yet to make up their mind'.
Apologies should have been: 'To keep the half dozen players who don't like you away from the 6 who have yet to make up their mind'.
This humorous quote is of course the key. It does not matter whether players like you, what matters is respect. What are the chances that Alec Ferguson ('hair dryer' etc) or Sam Alladyce are universally liked ? On that same topic hands up who thinks that Nigel Pearson at Leicester is a big old softee ? I chose that last example deliberately since it is the very same Mr Pearson who has managed 'noisy rebel' Lloyd Dyer for the last 3 years. A period during which that gentleman was not an automatic pick. Don't recall any media stories involving on field shouting.

It is of course also grossly unfair to vilify planners here, whether it be McGugan or any other. There is no reliable information on which to base any accusations and yet they seem to have acquired the status of fact by default.

As i said in an earlier post the smart play is to speak quietly and confidentially to people in the club who are seeing the running of day to day activities. History strongly suggests the Pozzos are pretty smart so I would guess this is what they did and what led them to the conclusion they reached.

Oh and an appeal to some on these threads to stop referring to the current league position as some sort of defence for Beppe. This time last season Blackpool were in the top six !
[quote][p][bold]northofwatfordpete[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]northofwatfordpete[/bold] wrote: Certain players are being singled out for criticism and I am not totally sure that this is warranted. No one knows for sure why Sannino has left other than the Pozzos were dissatisfied and have been looking for a replacement for sometime. We have a talented and experienced squad and now need a manager who can consistently get the best out of the group. I believe that one famous manager once said after being asked what he felt was the key to successful management - 'To keep the half a dozen players away from the 6 who have yet to make up their mind'.[/p][/quote]Apologies should have been: 'To keep the half dozen players who don't like you away from the 6 who have yet to make up their mind'.[/p][/quote]This humorous quote is of course the key. It does not matter whether players like you, what matters is respect. What are the chances that Alec Ferguson ('hair dryer' etc) or Sam Alladyce are universally liked ? On that same topic hands up who thinks that Nigel Pearson at Leicester is a big old softee ? I chose that last example deliberately since it is the very same Mr Pearson who has managed 'noisy rebel' Lloyd Dyer for the last 3 years. A period during which that gentleman was not an automatic pick. Don't recall any media stories involving on field shouting. It is of course also grossly unfair to vilify planners here, whether it be McGugan or any other. There is no reliable information on which to base any accusations and yet they seem to have acquired the status of fact by default. As i said in an earlier post the smart play is to speak quietly and confidentially to people in the club who are seeing the running of day to day activities. History strongly suggests the Pozzos are pretty smart so I would guess this is what they did and what led them to the conclusion they reached. Oh and an appeal to some on these threads to stop referring to the current league position as some sort of defence for Beppe. This time last season Blackpool were in the top six ! Oracledave
  • Score: 0

11:31am Mon 1 Sep 14

watford4ever says...

Oracledave wrote:
northofwatfordpete wrote:
northofwatfordpete wrote:
Certain players are being singled out for criticism and I am not totally sure that this is warranted. No one knows for sure why Sannino has left other than the Pozzos were dissatisfied and have been looking for a replacement for sometime. We have a talented and experienced squad and now need a manager who can consistently get the best out of the group.

I believe that one famous manager once said after being asked what he felt was the key to successful management - 'To keep the half a dozen players away from the 6 who have yet to make up their mind'.
Apologies should have been: 'To keep the half dozen players who don't like you away from the 6 who have yet to make up their mind'.
This humorous quote is of course the key. It does not matter whether players like you, what matters is respect. What are the chances that Alec Ferguson ('hair dryer' etc) or Sam Alladyce are universally liked ? On that same topic hands up who thinks that Nigel Pearson at Leicester is a big old softee ? I chose that last example deliberately since it is the very same Mr Pearson who has managed 'noisy rebel' Lloyd Dyer for the last 3 years. A period during which that gentleman was not an automatic pick. Don't recall any media stories involving on field shouting.

It is of course also grossly unfair to vilify planners here, whether it be McGugan or any other. There is no reliable information on which to base any accusations and yet they seem to have acquired the status of fact by default.

As i said in an earlier post the smart play is to speak quietly and confidentially to people in the club who are seeing the running of day to day activities. History strongly suggests the Pozzos are pretty smart so I would guess this is what they did and what led them to the conclusion they reached.

Oh and an appeal to some on these threads to stop referring to the current league position as some sort of defence for Beppe. This time last season Blackpool were in the top six !
Whilst I agree with the majority of your comments, to quote Blackpool as an example is clearly not relevant. Blackpool have been progressively dismantled by their owners not the manager or players.
The one thing we should be confident of is that the Pozzo's want the same as us the fans, a successful, promoted Watford.
[quote][p][bold]Oracledave[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]northofwatfordpete[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]northofwatfordpete[/bold] wrote: Certain players are being singled out for criticism and I am not totally sure that this is warranted. No one knows for sure why Sannino has left other than the Pozzos were dissatisfied and have been looking for a replacement for sometime. We have a talented and experienced squad and now need a manager who can consistently get the best out of the group. I believe that one famous manager once said after being asked what he felt was the key to successful management - 'To keep the half a dozen players away from the 6 who have yet to make up their mind'.[/p][/quote]Apologies should have been: 'To keep the half dozen players who don't like you away from the 6 who have yet to make up their mind'.[/p][/quote]This humorous quote is of course the key. It does not matter whether players like you, what matters is respect. What are the chances that Alec Ferguson ('hair dryer' etc) or Sam Alladyce are universally liked ? On that same topic hands up who thinks that Nigel Pearson at Leicester is a big old softee ? I chose that last example deliberately since it is the very same Mr Pearson who has managed 'noisy rebel' Lloyd Dyer for the last 3 years. A period during which that gentleman was not an automatic pick. Don't recall any media stories involving on field shouting. It is of course also grossly unfair to vilify planners here, whether it be McGugan or any other. There is no reliable information on which to base any accusations and yet they seem to have acquired the status of fact by default. As i said in an earlier post the smart play is to speak quietly and confidentially to people in the club who are seeing the running of day to day activities. History strongly suggests the Pozzos are pretty smart so I would guess this is what they did and what led them to the conclusion they reached. Oh and an appeal to some on these threads to stop referring to the current league position as some sort of defence for Beppe. This time last season Blackpool were in the top six ![/p][/quote]Whilst I agree with the majority of your comments, to quote Blackpool as an example is clearly not relevant. Blackpool have been progressively dismantled by their owners not the manager or players. The one thing we should be confident of is that the Pozzo's want the same as us the fans, a successful, promoted Watford. watford4ever
  • Score: 4

12:52pm Mon 1 Sep 14

PozzoHornet says...

Oracledave wrote:
northofwatfordpete wrote:
northofwatfordpete wrote:
Certain players are being singled out for criticism and I am not totally sure that this is warranted. No one knows for sure why Sannino has left other than the Pozzos were dissatisfied and have been looking for a replacement for sometime. We have a talented and experienced squad and now need a manager who can consistently get the best out of the group.

I believe that one famous manager once said after being asked what he felt was the key to successful management - 'To keep the half a dozen players away from the 6 who have yet to make up their mind'.
Apologies should have been: 'To keep the half dozen players who don't like you away from the 6 who have yet to make up their mind'.
This humorous quote is of course the key. It does not matter whether players like you, what matters is respect. What are the chances that Alec Ferguson ('hair dryer' etc) or Sam Alladyce are universally liked ? On that same topic hands up who thinks that Nigel Pearson at Leicester is a big old softee ? I chose that last example deliberately since it is the very same Mr Pearson who has managed 'noisy rebel' Lloyd Dyer for the last 3 years. A period during which that gentleman was not an automatic pick. Don't recall any media stories involving on field shouting.

It is of course also grossly unfair to vilify planners here, whether it be McGugan or any other. There is no reliable information on which to base any accusations and yet they seem to have acquired the status of fact by default.

As i said in an earlier post the smart play is to speak quietly and confidentially to people in the club who are seeing the running of day to day activities. History strongly suggests the Pozzos are pretty smart so I would guess this is what they did and what led them to the conclusion they reached.

Oh and an appeal to some on these threads to stop referring to the current league position as some sort of defence for Beppe. This time last season Blackpool were in the top six !
Of course the league position is a defence for Beppe! With the players you seem to be taking an 'innocent until proven guilty' approach which is fair enough, and I agree with you. No solid evidence has emerged other than Dyer's outburst to suggest who the specific unhappy players are.

However, you can't use double standards here. We as fans have no solid evidence that Beppe was in the wrong, and shouldn't assume as much just because he's been forced out. The Pozzos may have got it wrong. Blind faith in their judgement is not logical and too easy a stand point to take. Alternatively, his position may have become untenable in the same way Brian Clough's time at Leeds was portrayed in Damned United. Who knows? What we do know is that we have been playing pretty well, winning games we may not have done last year, with the Vic becoming a fortress in the process (as shown by his home win percentage).

So putting all rumour and speculation aside (as you are rightly doing in the case of the players) the decision to get rid of Beppe is a catastrophic one. Obviously there is something going on, but until we find out what it is, Beppe remains innocent in this.
[quote][p][bold]Oracledave[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]northofwatfordpete[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]northofwatfordpete[/bold] wrote: Certain players are being singled out for criticism and I am not totally sure that this is warranted. No one knows for sure why Sannino has left other than the Pozzos were dissatisfied and have been looking for a replacement for sometime. We have a talented and experienced squad and now need a manager who can consistently get the best out of the group. I believe that one famous manager once said after being asked what he felt was the key to successful management - 'To keep the half a dozen players away from the 6 who have yet to make up their mind'.[/p][/quote]Apologies should have been: 'To keep the half dozen players who don't like you away from the 6 who have yet to make up their mind'.[/p][/quote]This humorous quote is of course the key. It does not matter whether players like you, what matters is respect. What are the chances that Alec Ferguson ('hair dryer' etc) or Sam Alladyce are universally liked ? On that same topic hands up who thinks that Nigel Pearson at Leicester is a big old softee ? I chose that last example deliberately since it is the very same Mr Pearson who has managed 'noisy rebel' Lloyd Dyer for the last 3 years. A period during which that gentleman was not an automatic pick. Don't recall any media stories involving on field shouting. It is of course also grossly unfair to vilify planners here, whether it be McGugan or any other. There is no reliable information on which to base any accusations and yet they seem to have acquired the status of fact by default. As i said in an earlier post the smart play is to speak quietly and confidentially to people in the club who are seeing the running of day to day activities. History strongly suggests the Pozzos are pretty smart so I would guess this is what they did and what led them to the conclusion they reached. Oh and an appeal to some on these threads to stop referring to the current league position as some sort of defence for Beppe. This time last season Blackpool were in the top six ![/p][/quote]Of course the league position is a defence for Beppe! With the players you seem to be taking an 'innocent until proven guilty' approach which is fair enough, and I agree with you. No solid evidence has emerged other than Dyer's outburst to suggest who the specific unhappy players are. However, you can't use double standards here. We as fans have no solid evidence that Beppe was in the wrong, and shouldn't assume as much just because he's been forced out. The Pozzos may have got it wrong. Blind faith in their judgement is not logical and too easy a stand point to take. Alternatively, his position may have become untenable in the same way Brian Clough's time at Leeds was portrayed in Damned United. Who knows? What we do know is that we have been playing pretty well, winning games we may not have done last year, with the Vic becoming a fortress in the process (as shown by his home win percentage). So putting all rumour and speculation aside (as you are rightly doing in the case of the players) the decision to get rid of Beppe is a catastrophic one. Obviously there is something going on, but until we find out what it is, Beppe remains innocent in this. PozzoHornet
  • Score: 5

12:57pm Mon 1 Sep 14

Oracledave says...

watford4ever wrote:
Oracledave wrote:
northofwatfordpete wrote:
northofwatfordpete wrote:
Certain players are being singled out for criticism and I am not totally sure that this is warranted. No one knows for sure why Sannino has left other than the Pozzos were dissatisfied and have been looking for a replacement for sometime. We have a talented and experienced squad and now need a manager who can consistently get the best out of the group.

I believe that one famous manager once said after being asked what he felt was the key to successful management - 'To keep the half a dozen players away from the 6 who have yet to make up their mind'.
Apologies should have been: 'To keep the half dozen players who don't like you away from the 6 who have yet to make up their mind'.
This humorous quote is of course the key. It does not matter whether players like you, what matters is respect. What are the chances that Alec Ferguson ('hair dryer' etc) or Sam Alladyce are universally liked ? On that same topic hands up who thinks that Nigel Pearson at Leicester is a big old softee ? I chose that last example deliberately since it is the very same Mr Pearson who has managed 'noisy rebel' Lloyd Dyer for the last 3 years. A period during which that gentleman was not an automatic pick. Don't recall any media stories involving on field shouting.

It is of course also grossly unfair to vilify planners here, whether it be McGugan or any other. There is no reliable information on which to base any accusations and yet they seem to have acquired the status of fact by default.

As i said in an earlier post the smart play is to speak quietly and confidentially to people in the club who are seeing the running of day to day activities. History strongly suggests the Pozzos are pretty smart so I would guess this is what they did and what led them to the conclusion they reached.

Oh and an appeal to some on these threads to stop referring to the current league position as some sort of defence for Beppe. This time last season Blackpool were in the top six !
Whilst I agree with the majority of your comments, to quote Blackpool as an example is clearly not relevant. Blackpool have been progressively dismantled by their owners not the manager or players.
The one thing we should be confident of is that the Pozzo's want the same as us the fans, a successful, promoted Watford.
The point I was trying to make (albeit clumsily) is that the effectiveness of a regime whether that is management or club structure cannot be determined after 5 games whatever the results of those games.

it is also arguably better to fix a problem before it becomes terminal (was it 6 successive home defeats last term before some thing changed ?)
[quote][p][bold]watford4ever[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Oracledave[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]northofwatfordpete[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]northofwatfordpete[/bold] wrote: Certain players are being singled out for criticism and I am not totally sure that this is warranted. No one knows for sure why Sannino has left other than the Pozzos were dissatisfied and have been looking for a replacement for sometime. We have a talented and experienced squad and now need a manager who can consistently get the best out of the group. I believe that one famous manager once said after being asked what he felt was the key to successful management - 'To keep the half a dozen players away from the 6 who have yet to make up their mind'.[/p][/quote]Apologies should have been: 'To keep the half dozen players who don't like you away from the 6 who have yet to make up their mind'.[/p][/quote]This humorous quote is of course the key. It does not matter whether players like you, what matters is respect. What are the chances that Alec Ferguson ('hair dryer' etc) or Sam Alladyce are universally liked ? On that same topic hands up who thinks that Nigel Pearson at Leicester is a big old softee ? I chose that last example deliberately since it is the very same Mr Pearson who has managed 'noisy rebel' Lloyd Dyer for the last 3 years. A period during which that gentleman was not an automatic pick. Don't recall any media stories involving on field shouting. It is of course also grossly unfair to vilify planners here, whether it be McGugan or any other. There is no reliable information on which to base any accusations and yet they seem to have acquired the status of fact by default. As i said in an earlier post the smart play is to speak quietly and confidentially to people in the club who are seeing the running of day to day activities. History strongly suggests the Pozzos are pretty smart so I would guess this is what they did and what led them to the conclusion they reached. Oh and an appeal to some on these threads to stop referring to the current league position as some sort of defence for Beppe. This time last season Blackpool were in the top six ![/p][/quote]Whilst I agree with the majority of your comments, to quote Blackpool as an example is clearly not relevant. Blackpool have been progressively dismantled by their owners not the manager or players. The one thing we should be confident of is that the Pozzo's want the same as us the fans, a successful, promoted Watford.[/p][/quote]The point I was trying to make (albeit clumsily) is that the effectiveness of a regime whether that is management or club structure cannot be determined after 5 games whatever the results of those games. it is also arguably better to fix a problem before it becomes terminal (was it 6 successive home defeats last term before some thing changed ?) Oracledave
  • Score: 0

4:46pm Mon 1 Sep 14

SuperHorns says...

Allowing Sannino to leave now will be Watford FC biggest mistake this season. Prepare for Mid table again. Heard it here first.
Allowing Sannino to leave now will be Watford FC biggest mistake this season. Prepare for Mid table again. Heard it here first. SuperHorns
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree