Results and player power had nothing to do with Beppe Sannino's departure from Watford

Beppe Sannino walked away from Watford last night. Picture: Holly Cant.

Beppe Sannino walked away from Watford last night. Picture: Holly Cant.

First published in Sport Watford Observer: Photograph of the Author by , Deputy Group Sports Editor

The resignation of Beppe Sannino will surprise many in English football, with Watford second in the Championship, but his departure had nothing to do with the club's results or player power.

The Watford Observer revealed Sannino's future was in serious doubt almost two weeks ago and highlighted that several senior players were unhappy with the Italian's style of management.

But it is believed the club had also been concerned by Sannino's reign for months and his future was considered in the summer.

The Hornets' hierarchy decided to stick with the 57-year-old and hoped things would improve during pre-season and early into the campaign.

The main reason why Sannino decided to leave the Hertfordshire side, before he was seemingly pushed, was because of fundamental differences in the way the club and the head coach wanted to work.

Sannino wanted to do it his way and believed extensive tactical sessions were required to improve the team.

We have been told these were deemed too long by many of the players, but more importantly, also the club, who believed the sessions lacked the intensity deemed necessary to sustain a promotion campaign throughout a tough Championship season.

The Watford players wear GPS devices in training and the data is assessed by not only the club's sports scientists but also centrally by the Pozzos' network of staff in Italy, who also record Udinese and Granada's work.

It enables the Pozzos to ensure the fitness levels are high enough and likewise the intensity.

Sannino is an 'old-school manager' in many respects and was keen to do things his way; stating the results showed his methods were working - he said as much after Saturday's 4-2 victory over Huddersfield Town.

Whereas the Pozzos have a clear model they like to follow at all of their clubs. A structure and a way to work which they try to insist on.

During their first year at Watford, the Pozzos made compromises regarding the level of tactical training and fitness work due to the success achieved by Gianfranco Zola, as the club narrowly missed out on automatic promotion and then reached the play-off final.

However, things ultimately went wrong as Zola went nine matches without a win and lost five in a row at home.

It appeared to reinforce the Pozzos' view that they want their model followed and we have been told that point was agreed by Sannino when he joined the club in December.

The Pozzos have tried to make sure everything is in place for Watford to challenge for promotion this season.

The training ground and stadium facilities have been improved, they have attempted to increase the players' level of fitness and training schedules since Zola's reign and they have assembled a more balanced squad with better knowledge of English football, compared with last season.

The model is to make sure everything is right behind the scenes regardless of whether the results are going well, because it is then easier to assess what the problems are when things start to go wrong.

For example, last season the head coach was changed and things did get better. But the club also recognised they needed to add more experience and Championship know-how to their squad.

The void left by players like Matej Vydra, Jonathan Hogg and John Eustace in 2013 were addressed this summer.

But the Sannino issues remained. The way he spoke to the players and behaved around the training ground was still of concern, and not only due to the language barrier.

There were arguments with some of the players towards the end of last season and issues have remained over the summer.

His aggressive manner and the way he spoke to the players concerned not only some of the squad but also the club.

The players have stayed united and the promotion challenge started positively, with four wins from their five Championship matches.

But player unrest and results were not the main reasons why Watford were planning to replace Sannino.

Sannino would not fundamentally change the way he worked. And neither would the Pozzos. Something had to give.

This was not a knee-jerk reaction from either party. It was considered.

Both had considered Sannino's future in recent months, and on several different occasions.

We have heard that Sannino told the players he was leaving the club after the Rotherham United match two weeks ago and the Leeds United game four days later. He subsequently decided to remain.

With a two-week international break, Watford appeared likely to act and Sannino almost certainly jumped before he was pushed.

There was a lot to like about Beppe Sannino from a journalist's and a supporter's point of view. And some would argue the results on the pitch suggest his methods were working.

But the Pozzos are spending a lot of money on the Hornets' promotion campaign and were unwilling to risk their Premier League hopes for another year by allowing Sannino to deviate from their model or by leaving him in charge.

Whether the club's logic is right or wrong will be down to individual opinion and, more importantly, may only be vindicated by Watford's finishing position come May 2.

Comments (49)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:35pm Mon 1 Sep 14

Travelling Hornet says...

I suppose 'beasting' the players is not in the Pozzo model !
I suppose 'beasting' the players is not in the Pozzo model ! Travelling Hornet
  • Score: 2

3:37pm Mon 1 Sep 14

Havana Club says...

No pressure on the next fella then.

Do it as we say, and don't fail.
No pressure on the next fella then. Do it as we say, and don't fail. Havana Club
  • Score: 25

3:38pm Mon 1 Sep 14

David:-) says...

Oh dear. So we want a Yes man in charge then.
Oh dear. So we want a Yes man in charge then. David:-)
  • Score: -11

3:39pm Mon 1 Sep 14

Havana Club says...

Take the pressure off the next fella then?

Do it our way. And don't fail...
Take the pressure off the next fella then? Do it our way. And don't fail... Havana Club
  • Score: -9

3:40pm Mon 1 Sep 14

Bassingbourn Al says...

You are right "he who pays the piper calls the tune" and the Pozzos have in my opinion saved this club from going the way of Portsmouth or worse. I can forgive them a lot even if I disagree at times albeit without knowing the full facts.
I liked Sannino and I think he stopped the club being involved in relegation dog fight last season. I also liked Zola but he seemed to lack the tactical nouse of Sannino who at least seemed to be able to adapt our style at half time in order to win home games.
I do think that Nani makes man management very difficult for any coach by giving them such large squads of egos to keep happy.
Again you are right that it is where Watford are at the end of the season that will be the ultimate test of Sannino's exit.
You are right "he who pays the piper calls the tune" and the Pozzos have in my opinion saved this club from going the way of Portsmouth or worse. I can forgive them a lot even if I disagree at times albeit without knowing the full facts. I liked Sannino and I think he stopped the club being involved in relegation dog fight last season. I also liked Zola but he seemed to lack the tactical nouse of Sannino who at least seemed to be able to adapt our style at half time in order to win home games. I do think that Nani makes man management very difficult for any coach by giving them such large squads of egos to keep happy. Again you are right that it is where Watford are at the end of the season that will be the ultimate test of Sannino's exit. Bassingbourn Al
  • Score: 60

3:42pm Mon 1 Sep 14

AMP4WFC says...

Seems like it was time for a change.
Seems like it was time for a change. AMP4WFC
  • Score: -15

3:43pm Mon 1 Sep 14

AMP4WFC says...

Seems like it was time for a change.
Seems like it was time for a change. AMP4WFC
  • Score: -17

3:44pm Mon 1 Sep 14

Uncle_Albert says...

Very good considered article Frank, helps to close a few gaps.
Very good considered article Frank, helps to close a few gaps. Uncle_Albert
  • Score: 100

3:44pm Mon 1 Sep 14

perry1990 says...

The Pozzo's showing good resilience ...

got to admire their confidence.

If all goes to plan we could be seeing a very different club in the next 5 years.
The Pozzo's showing good resilience ... got to admire their confidence. If all goes to plan we could be seeing a very different club in the next 5 years. perry1990
  • Score: 37

3:45pm Mon 1 Sep 14

piemagico says...

I don't have a problem with what the Pozzos want to try to do, but their two appointments so far seem totally at odds with their desired model. In particular Sannino's track record shows he is volatile and is his own man, so why was he brought in? And why keep him in the summer when it must have been clear that differences couldn't be reconciled?
I don't have a problem with what the Pozzos want to try to do, but their two appointments so far seem totally at odds with their desired model. In particular Sannino's track record shows he is volatile and is his own man, so why was he brought in? And why keep him in the summer when it must have been clear that differences couldn't be reconciled? piemagico
  • Score: 65

3:47pm Mon 1 Sep 14

AMP4WFC says...

Seems it was time for a change then......
Seems it was time for a change then...... AMP4WFC
  • Score: -17

3:47pm Mon 1 Sep 14

mkhornet says...

This is why the job at Watford is called "Head Coach" but not Manager. It will be interesting to see how good the field of potential managers oops ...sorry "Head Coaches" is when they hear how they are required to operate.
This is why the job at Watford is called "Head Coach" but not Manager. It will be interesting to see how good the field of potential managers oops ...sorry "Head Coaches" is when they hear how they are required to operate. mkhornet
  • Score: 19

3:49pm Mon 1 Sep 14

PozzoHornet says...

Pretty shocking that this is the reason. Terribly managed by the Pozzos. If this was the reason, they should have fired him in the summer and given someone else a full pre-season. I know it's easy to say in hindsight, but all the same, I'm extremely disappointed.
Pretty shocking that this is the reason. Terribly managed by the Pozzos. If this was the reason, they should have fired him in the summer and given someone else a full pre-season. I know it's easy to say in hindsight, but all the same, I'm extremely disappointed. PozzoHornet
  • Score: 11

3:56pm Mon 1 Sep 14

loyalhemel says...

When you rant & rave every two minutes at everyone it just becomes a noise (bit like bristol & lockerbie on here)
Rather have a man in charge who earns respect not just expects it
When you rant & rave every two minutes at everyone it just becomes a noise (bit like bristol & lockerbie on here) Rather have a man in charge who earns respect not just expects it loyalhemel
  • Score: 52

4:03pm Mon 1 Sep 14

gloryhornet4 says...

The yes man comment.

If you have a staff handbook you are a yes man in any job. The boss is the business owner.

The new coach will be told what to do. That rules out Pulis (as he likes things his way) and Zola (as he could not deliver). I would be happy with either but as long as they get it right and not put the poor s0d on long term probation I will be - promotion 100 points is there for the taking.
The yes man comment. If you have a staff handbook you are a yes man in any job. The boss is the business owner. The new coach will be told what to do. That rules out Pulis (as he likes things his way) and Zola (as he could not deliver). I would be happy with either but as long as they get it right and not put the poor s0d on long term probation I will be - promotion 100 points is there for the taking. gloryhornet4
  • Score: 8

4:23pm Mon 1 Sep 14

laddie hornets says...

Interesting and revealing.

But it begs the questions as why did the Pozzos appointed Sannino in the first place!

And it certainly seems to rule out the appointment of a manager with lots of Championship experience, or indeed anyone who doesn't wish to obey the party-line.
Interesting and revealing. But it begs the questions as why did the Pozzos appointed Sannino in the first place! And it certainly seems to rule out the appointment of a manager with lots of Championship experience, or indeed anyone who doesn't wish to obey the party-line. laddie hornets
  • Score: 25

4:25pm Mon 1 Sep 14

hatfieldhornet says...

The Pozzo's did state originally back when they took charge that they may make a few mistakes but ultimately will find the right person to take WFC back to the Premier League, let's just hope the next Coach is 'The One'! I'm not sure I want another 2 seasons of mistakes.
The Pozzo's did state originally back when they took charge that they may make a few mistakes but ultimately will find the right person to take WFC back to the Premier League, let's just hope the next Coach is 'The One'! I'm not sure I want another 2 seasons of mistakes. hatfieldhornet
  • Score: 21

4:26pm Mon 1 Sep 14

Roger "Studs" Joslyn says...

Its never dull supporting Watford is it?
Its never dull supporting Watford is it? Roger "Studs" Joslyn
  • Score: 48

4:31pm Mon 1 Sep 14

mickallen57 says...

If that is their (pozzos') way then so be it if as I suspect they get it right then hold on for a great ride.
If that is their (pozzos') way then so be it if as I suspect they get it right then hold on for a great ride. mickallen57
  • Score: 8

4:32pm Mon 1 Sep 14

N Joydegame says...

We'll done Frank Smith for another insightful report. You've been right all along with excellent coverage of the club's affairs from the bankrupt and throughout the Pozzos reign. Keep it up and thanks.

I'm surprised Sannino lasted as long as he did after the fiasco of the end of last seasons 4 defeats run-in and then the attempt to extend the seasons training by a fortnight. No wonder he lost the dressing room.

I quite liked the guy but never felt he was what we wanted or needed to get the club into the Prem. The Pozzos have saved our club and we should all be eternally grateful to them and support them if they decide to change the manager to enforce a set formula. I saw the Udinese game and they were a very decent side who could play football to a high standard. I for one hope the Pozzos can get us to an even higher level, without sacrificing our youth academy.
We'll done Frank Smith for another insightful report. You've been right all along with excellent coverage of the club's affairs from the bankrupt and throughout the Pozzos reign. Keep it up and thanks. I'm surprised Sannino lasted as long as he did after the fiasco of the end of last seasons 4 defeats run-in and then the attempt to extend the seasons training by a fortnight. No wonder he lost the dressing room. I quite liked the guy but never felt he was what we wanted or needed to get the club into the Prem. The Pozzos have saved our club and we should all be eternally grateful to them and support them if they decide to change the manager to enforce a set formula. I saw the Udinese game and they were a very decent side who could play football to a high standard. I for one hope the Pozzos can get us to an even higher level, without sacrificing our youth academy. N Joydegame
  • Score: 52

4:49pm Mon 1 Sep 14

SuperHorns says...

Ok he has to manage in the way that the Pozzo wants.. However to me this sounds like he has to also pick the players the Pozzos want.

I'm not sure about this.....If I were Beppe I would want to leave also.
How restricted was he here?

I would like to know if he was ever forced to play a player due to the executive board detailing him to do so.
Ok he has to manage in the way that the Pozzo wants.. However to me this sounds like he has to also pick the players the Pozzos want. I'm not sure about this.....If I were Beppe I would want to leave also. How restricted was he here? I would like to know if he was ever forced to play a player due to the executive board detailing him to do so. SuperHorns
  • Score: 12

4:50pm Mon 1 Sep 14

Oracledave says...

The problem with criticism of Pozzo methods is that they have got Udinese into the top four in Italy and Granada into La Liga. 'Proof of the pudding' etc.
The problem with criticism of Pozzo methods is that they have got Udinese into the top four in Italy and Granada into La Liga. 'Proof of the pudding' etc. Oracledave
  • Score: 29

5:02pm Mon 1 Sep 14

Andrew1963 says...

This looks to me more likely to see us have another Italian manager, someone who not only agrees to, but fully understands the methods. My only concern is, will the stadium be big enough in five years time?
This looks to me more likely to see us have another Italian manager, someone who not only agrees to, but fully understands the methods. My only concern is, will the stadium be big enough in five years time? Andrew1963
  • Score: 16

5:12pm Mon 1 Sep 14

bristol hornet says...

Uncle_Albert wrote:
Very good considered article Frank, helps to close a few gaps.
Yes Uncle Albert, well said.

Stop knocking Frank Smith you snipers.

He has been doing a great job covering WFC these past few years, and he been proved right yet again over this saga!
[quote][p][bold]Uncle_Albert[/bold] wrote: Very good considered article Frank, helps to close a few gaps.[/p][/quote]Yes Uncle Albert, well said. Stop knocking Frank Smith you snipers. He has been doing a great job covering WFC these past few years, and he been proved right yet again over this saga! bristol hornet
  • Score: 24

5:14pm Mon 1 Sep 14

bristol hornet says...

AMP4WFC wrote:
Seems it was time for a change then......
How many more times are you going to state this same silly comment you annoying and repetitive little sod!
[quote][p][bold]AMP4WFC[/bold] wrote: Seems it was time for a change then......[/p][/quote]How many more times are you going to state this same silly comment you annoying and repetitive little sod! bristol hornet
  • Score: 13

5:19pm Mon 1 Sep 14

Denzil D says...

I don't know what the fuss is about?...Beppe was appointed as a stop-gap 'fixer'. He's managed 15 clubs in his career and trouble-shooting is what be specialises in.
His almost military approach and pragmatic tactics have basically worked for us - we now have a fitter, mentally tougher and better balanced squad to push on to promotion and beyond. But this abrassive methods were never going to be sustainable, especially with such a big squad of talent.
I say 'thanks Beppe' for a job well done, and onward and upward for the Hornets with the next appointment, hopefully 'The One'
I don't know what the fuss is about?...Beppe was appointed as a stop-gap 'fixer'. He's managed 15 clubs in his career and trouble-shooting is what be specialises in. His almost military approach and pragmatic tactics have basically worked for us - we now have a fitter, mentally tougher and better balanced squad to push on to promotion and beyond. But this abrassive methods were never going to be sustainable, especially with such a big squad of talent. I say 'thanks Beppe' for a job well done, and onward and upward for the Hornets with the next appointment, hopefully 'The One' Denzil D
  • Score: 51

5:27pm Mon 1 Sep 14

andyhooked says...

When Zola quit perhaps panic stations to get Beppe in? What matters now is a new man that the players will and can follow. This must be a a manager that the players relate to. If you do not have the dressing room then it goes pear-shaped. Then who are the discontents? Not Troy or Abdi but some of the others….?
When Zola quit perhaps panic stations to get Beppe in? What matters now is a new man that the players will and can follow. This must be a a manager that the players relate to. If you do not have the dressing room then it goes pear-shaped. Then who are the discontents? Not Troy or Abdi but some of the others….? andyhooked
  • Score: 5

5:55pm Mon 1 Sep 14

lutondown says...

bristol hornet wrote:
Uncle_Albert wrote:
Very good considered article Frank, helps to close a few gaps.
Yes Uncle Albert, well said.

Stop knocking Frank Smith you snipers.

He has been doing a great job covering WFC these past few years, and he been proved right yet again over this saga!
Mammary man
I actually agree with you.
Now how about that friendly G and T now we are best buddies?
[quote][p][bold]bristol hornet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Uncle_Albert[/bold] wrote: Very good considered article Frank, helps to close a few gaps.[/p][/quote]Yes Uncle Albert, well said. Stop knocking Frank Smith you snipers. He has been doing a great job covering WFC these past few years, and he been proved right yet again over this saga![/p][/quote]Mammary man I actually agree with you. Now how about that friendly G and T now we are best buddies? lutondown
  • Score: -5

5:56pm Mon 1 Sep 14

gloryhornet4 says...

100 points - couldn't give a sh1te who takes a promotion lap of honour as long as they consolidate us in the promised land.

Beps - obvious it was never going to be him. Always had the feel of the temp from the agency on a monthly contract. Lots of experience but having the players back after the last game of the season for what? was like signing his own P45, which in the end he did just that.

Good bloke, passionate - but let's leave the stressful times for supporters of Blackpool Bolton and Fulham - as we are GOING UP even if we have an average boss, provided he does not pee people off. This squad rocks.

Juvenile to suggest BS was told who to pick. This is not Chelski.
100 points - couldn't give a sh1te who takes a promotion lap of honour as long as they consolidate us in the promised land. Beps - obvious it was never going to be him. Always had the feel of the temp from the agency on a monthly contract. Lots of experience but having the players back after the last game of the season for what? was like signing his own P45, which in the end he did just that. Good bloke, passionate - but let's leave the stressful times for supporters of Blackpool Bolton and Fulham - as we are GOING UP even if we have an average boss, provided he does not pee people off. This squad rocks. Juvenile to suggest BS was told who to pick. This is not Chelski. gloryhornet4
  • Score: 1

5:59pm Mon 1 Sep 14

lutondown says...

PozzoHornet wrote:
Pretty shocking that this is the reason. Terribly managed by the Pozzos. If this was the reason, they should have fired him in the summer and given someone else a full pre-season. I know it's easy to say in hindsight, but all the same, I'm extremely disappointed.
Suffice to say we can expect you to change your name to maybe Bazzahornet? Smell the coffee
[quote][p][bold]PozzoHornet[/bold] wrote: Pretty shocking that this is the reason. Terribly managed by the Pozzos. If this was the reason, they should have fired him in the summer and given someone else a full pre-season. I know it's easy to say in hindsight, but all the same, I'm extremely disappointed.[/p][/quote]Suffice to say we can expect you to change your name to maybe Bazzahornet? Smell the coffee lutondown
  • Score: -8

6:24pm Mon 1 Sep 14

Boosey says...

lutondown wrote:
bristol hornet wrote:
Uncle_Albert wrote:
Very good considered article Frank, helps to close a few gaps.
Yes Uncle Albert, well said.

Stop knocking Frank Smith you snipers.

He has been doing a great job covering WFC these past few years, and he been proved right yet again over this saga!
Mammary man
I actually agree with you.
Now how about that friendly G and T now we are best buddies?
G&T Lutondown? I take it you will be meeting after midday then?
[quote][p][bold]lutondown[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bristol hornet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Uncle_Albert[/bold] wrote: Very good considered article Frank, helps to close a few gaps.[/p][/quote]Yes Uncle Albert, well said. Stop knocking Frank Smith you snipers. He has been doing a great job covering WFC these past few years, and he been proved right yet again over this saga![/p][/quote]Mammary man I actually agree with you. Now how about that friendly G and T now we are best buddies?[/p][/quote]G&T Lutondown? I take it you will be meeting after midday then? Boosey
  • Score: -8

6:32pm Mon 1 Sep 14

buckler says...

loyalhemel wrote:
When you rant & rave every two minutes at everyone it just becomes a noise (bit like bristol & lockerbie on here)
Rather have a man in charge who earns respect not just expects it
Too much noise and not enough action on here as proved .. G&T next game with LD ?
[quote][p][bold]loyalhemel[/bold] wrote: When you rant & rave every two minutes at everyone it just becomes a noise (bit like bristol & lockerbie on here) Rather have a man in charge who earns respect not just expects it[/p][/quote]Too much noise and not enough action on here as proved .. G&T next game with LD ? buckler
  • Score: -12

6:33pm Mon 1 Sep 14

Feff says...

I'd like to see the Pozzos, whom I do admire for what they have done for the club after the disaster of Bassini, surprise us all by appointing Tony Pulis as Manager/Coach, a man who has what it takes to bring us promotion, but who might not do exactly what the Board tells him. Show courage, Messrs. Pozzo. Pulis is good! Be prepared to put up with his occasional arrogance.
I'd like to see the Pozzos, whom I do admire for what they have done for the club after the disaster of Bassini, surprise us all by appointing Tony Pulis as Manager/Coach, a man who has what it takes to bring us promotion, but who might not do exactly what the Board tells him. Show courage, Messrs. Pozzo. Pulis is good! Be prepared to put up with his occasional arrogance. Feff
  • Score: -11

6:57pm Mon 1 Sep 14

Cuetip says...

Uncle_Albert wrote:
Very good considered article Frank, helps to close a few gaps.
Timing is everything and I hope we also close the gap on last season's position.
[quote][p][bold]Uncle_Albert[/bold] wrote: Very good considered article Frank, helps to close a few gaps.[/p][/quote]Timing is everything and I hope we also close the gap on last season's position. Cuetip
  • Score: 2

7:02pm Mon 1 Sep 14

hornetsteve says...

piemagico wrote:
I don't have a problem with what the Pozzos want to try to do, but their two appointments so far seem totally at odds with their desired model. In particular Sannino's track record shows he is volatile and is his own man, so why was he brought in? And why keep him in the summer when it must have been clear that differences couldn't be reconciled?
hindsight what happened between the players and sannio at the last game of left the pozzos with a difficult position they chose to stick with there man and hope when the players returned for pre season all would be forgotten,by what we are now reading his man/player management has been shown to be non existent and much of his own making, so lets move on who ever comes in it seems must work to the pozzo plan! this must rule out most british coaches , just looking at candidates I hope Garcia comes to wfc he has championship experience taking brighton to 6th place last season if not why not make troy player/ head coach after all it seems the players have been playing for thereselfs,only joking who ever comes in has got a very easy start inheriting a team 2nd in the table on the back of some great all round team performances the team has been picking itself!! good luck to beppe he did steady our team last season at least coyh
[quote][p][bold]piemagico[/bold] wrote: I don't have a problem with what the Pozzos want to try to do, but their two appointments so far seem totally at odds with their desired model. In particular Sannino's track record shows he is volatile and is his own man, so why was he brought in? And why keep him in the summer when it must have been clear that differences couldn't be reconciled?[/p][/quote]hindsight what happened between the players and sannio at the last game of left the pozzos with a difficult position they chose to stick with there man and hope when the players returned for pre season all would be forgotten,by what we are now reading his man/player management has been shown to be non existent and much of his own making, so lets move on who ever comes in it seems must work to the pozzo plan! this must rule out most british coaches , just looking at candidates I hope Garcia comes to wfc he has championship experience taking brighton to 6th place last season if not why not make troy player/ head coach after all it seems the players have been playing for thereselfs,only joking who ever comes in has got a very easy start inheriting a team 2nd in the table on the back of some great all round team performances the team has been picking itself!! good luck to beppe he did steady our team last season at least coyh hornetsteve
  • Score: 10

7:06pm Mon 1 Sep 14

loyalhemel says...

buckler wrote:
loyalhemel wrote:
When you rant & rave every two minutes at everyone it just becomes a noise (bit like bristol & lockerbie on here)
Rather have a man in charge who earns respect not just expects it
Too much noise and not enough action on here as proved .. G&T next game with LD ?
your on but i.m more of a cinzano man
[quote][p][bold]buckler[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]loyalhemel[/bold] wrote: When you rant & rave every two minutes at everyone it just becomes a noise (bit like bristol & lockerbie on here) Rather have a man in charge who earns respect not just expects it[/p][/quote]Too much noise and not enough action on here as proved .. G&T next game with LD ?[/p][/quote]your on but i.m more of a cinzano man loyalhemel
  • Score: -4

7:09pm Mon 1 Sep 14

hornetsteve says...

Feff wrote:
I'd like to see the Pozzos, whom I do admire for what they have done for the club after the disaster of Bassini, surprise us all by appointing Tony Pulis as Manager/Coach, a man who has what it takes to bring us promotion, but who might not do exactly what the Board tells him. Show courage, Messrs. Pozzo. Pulis is good! Be prepared to put up with his occasional arrogance.
more chance of it being fillppo galli he's Italian, pulis couldn't work to the pozzos plan he likes to choose the players that come in& run the club so no chance!!
[quote][p][bold]Feff[/bold] wrote: I'd like to see the Pozzos, whom I do admire for what they have done for the club after the disaster of Bassini, surprise us all by appointing Tony Pulis as Manager/Coach, a man who has what it takes to bring us promotion, but who might not do exactly what the Board tells him. Show courage, Messrs. Pozzo. Pulis is good! Be prepared to put up with his occasional arrogance.[/p][/quote]more chance of it being fillppo galli he's Italian, pulis couldn't work to the pozzos plan he likes to choose the players that come in& run the club so no chance!! hornetsteve
  • Score: 12

7:37pm Mon 1 Sep 14

D.unstable says...

I can't believe I've had my posts removed from another article by the WO, maybe for using the word 5hit stick. Won't bother in future.

Back to twitter where I'm not censored.
I can't believe I've had my posts removed from another article by the WO, maybe for using the word 5hit stick. Won't bother in future. Back to twitter where I'm not censored. D.unstable
  • Score: -12

8:01pm Mon 1 Sep 14

Colin.Foster's.Left.Boot says...

My proposal for our new Manager:
Glenn Hoddle. Huge experience. Ready to return to management. Will probably be an icon to many of the squad who will therefore want to perform for him. Exciting football. And the right style of play! over and out
My proposal for our new Manager: Glenn Hoddle. Huge experience. Ready to return to management. Will probably be an icon to many of the squad who will therefore want to perform for him. Exciting football. And the right style of play! over and out Colin.Foster's.Left.Boot
  • Score: -15

9:29pm Mon 1 Sep 14

Hornet Cornet says...

Importantly, when a few of us meet for our G&T's I'd like to have Tanqueray gin if possible, none of that cheapo other stuff that some people drink.

Almost as importantly, I've got no idea why the Pozzo's have acted now. If Beppe's methods were questionable then why not remove him pre-season? What they've now done is send out a signal that they're happy to hire and fire. Models which work in Italy and Spain are not guaranteed to work here and I really hope they've called this right.

Some people have rightly said the Pozzo's have saved us and I am in no doubt at all that they have fantastic, ambitious plans for us. They know more about football than me but I'm still unsure whether they've called this right.

Time will tell. Time for a warm-up G&T with ice.

Bottoms Up (as Bristol Hornet likes to say at the weekend)

HC.

P.S: Bet this comment gets removed.
Importantly, when a few of us meet for our G&T's I'd like to have Tanqueray gin if possible, none of that cheapo other stuff that some people drink. Almost as importantly, I've got no idea why the Pozzo's have acted now. If Beppe's methods were questionable then why not remove him pre-season? What they've now done is send out a signal that they're happy to hire and fire. Models which work in Italy and Spain are not guaranteed to work here and I really hope they've called this right. Some people have rightly said the Pozzo's have saved us and I am in no doubt at all that they have fantastic, ambitious plans for us. They know more about football than me but I'm still unsure whether they've called this right. Time will tell. Time for a warm-up G&T with ice. Bottoms Up (as Bristol Hornet likes to say at the weekend) HC. P.S: Bet this comment gets removed. Hornet Cornet
  • Score: 11

9:48pm Mon 1 Sep 14

AussieHornetsFan says...

It seems odd that the Pozzo's specifically brought Sannino over from Italy where he was virtually unheard of in English football to my knowledge only to discover that he would be resistant against following an established model the Pozzo's have utilised at their other clubs. Not sure I am buying this as the reason for departure...
It seems odd that the Pozzo's specifically brought Sannino over from Italy where he was virtually unheard of in English football to my knowledge only to discover that he would be resistant against following an established model the Pozzo's have utilised at their other clubs. Not sure I am buying this as the reason for departure... AussieHornetsFan
  • Score: 10

10:39pm Mon 1 Sep 14

lutondown says...

Boosey wrote:
lutondown wrote:
bristol hornet wrote:
Uncle_Albert wrote:
Very good considered article Frank, helps to close a few gaps.
Yes Uncle Albert, well said.

Stop knocking Frank Smith you snipers.

He has been doing a great job covering WFC these past few years, and he been proved right yet again over this saga!
Mammary man
I actually agree with you.
Now how about that friendly G and T now we are best buddies?
G&T Lutondown? I take it you will be meeting after midday then?
-4.... That's just for talking to me! Yeah I'll be wearing pink again
[quote][p][bold]Boosey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]lutondown[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bristol hornet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Uncle_Albert[/bold] wrote: Very good considered article Frank, helps to close a few gaps.[/p][/quote]Yes Uncle Albert, well said. Stop knocking Frank Smith you snipers. He has been doing a great job covering WFC these past few years, and he been proved right yet again over this saga![/p][/quote]Mammary man I actually agree with you. Now how about that friendly G and T now we are best buddies?[/p][/quote]G&T Lutondown? I take it you will be meeting after midday then?[/p][/quote]-4.... That's just for talking to me! Yeah I'll be wearing pink again lutondown
  • Score: -5

10:44pm Mon 1 Sep 14

madhorn says...

I find it difficult to believe this explanation.
Perhaps the whole truth will never come out.
I find it difficult to believe this explanation. Perhaps the whole truth will never come out. madhorn
  • Score: 3

7:28am Tue 2 Sep 14

Grissom says...

Though wouldn't tactical training be less intense by it's own nature, as it requires a certain amount of repetitions? Tactics are required so the team has a structure and system to work to!
Though wouldn't tactical training be less intense by it's own nature, as it requires a certain amount of repetitions? Tactics are required so the team has a structure and system to work to! Grissom
  • Score: 4

7:48am Tue 2 Sep 14

4boys says...

Just made all that up, people believe anything they read these days.
Just made all that up, people believe anything they read these days. 4boys
  • Score: -4

9:06am Tue 2 Sep 14

Harry's Bar says...

AussieHornetsFan wrote:
It seems odd that the Pozzo's specifically brought Sannino over from Italy where he was virtually unheard of in English football to my knowledge only to discover that he would be resistant against following an established model the Pozzo's have utilised at their other clubs. Not sure I am buying this as the reason for departure...
The club's logic seems to be full of contradictions. They overlooked Zola's training methods because of good results but pushed Saninno after 4 wins out of 5 because his tactical sessions were too long? The training isn't intense enough, the players are worked too hard. There are "fundamental differences" but "things will improve".
[quote][p][bold]AussieHornetsFan[/bold] wrote: It seems odd that the Pozzo's specifically brought Sannino over from Italy where he was virtually unheard of in English football to my knowledge only to discover that he would be resistant against following an established model the Pozzo's have utilised at their other clubs. Not sure I am buying this as the reason for departure...[/p][/quote]The club's logic seems to be full of contradictions. They overlooked Zola's training methods because of good results but pushed Saninno after 4 wins out of 5 because his tactical sessions were too long? The training isn't intense enough, the players are worked too hard. There are "fundamental differences" but "things will improve". Harry's Bar
  • Score: -1

10:11am Tue 2 Sep 14

corbindallas says...

I think the Pozzo model is not as restrictive as it sounds and it is more a guide rule rather than a actual my way or highway method as shown by the time given because of results. It is good to see the Pozzo's interest and tracking to monitor cause and effect and also they have reacted to strengthts and weakness with additional players. I still question the interaction with coach and Nani tho for need, looking at the Juanfran situation it looks like another excessive signing in an area we have 3 big players already with Dyer, Anya and Paredes do we need a 4th big player here especially as 3 are current internationals and the other is our joint top scorer who under the previous management regime couldn't grab a starting berth in the first XI. As fans we know we need a big strong central defence character of the character of Fitz Hall or Nosworthy, or if changing tactics to a back 4 a new LD at least. Anyway will be interesting to see who comes in now.
I think the Pozzo model is not as restrictive as it sounds and it is more a guide rule rather than a actual my way or highway method as shown by the time given because of results. It is good to see the Pozzo's interest and tracking to monitor cause and effect and also they have reacted to strengthts and weakness with additional players. I still question the interaction with coach and Nani tho for need, looking at the Juanfran situation it looks like another excessive signing in an area we have 3 big players already with Dyer, Anya and Paredes do we need a 4th big player here especially as 3 are current internationals and the other is our joint top scorer who under the previous management regime couldn't grab a starting berth in the first XI. As fans we know we need a big strong central defence character of the character of Fitz Hall or Nosworthy, or if changing tactics to a back 4 a new LD at least. Anyway will be interesting to see who comes in now. corbindallas
  • Score: -1

1:21pm Tue 2 Sep 14

honest-view says...

What a load of rubbish, The management messed up, according to them they chose the wrong type of coaches.
Frank Smith harping on about fall out from players for weeks now. And all of a sudden an article stating it was not this.
Their is also a section of typing supporters who has never liked him and made it well known. Other supporters he did admire, the true Watford supporters.no matter what.
We now have players who throw their dummies out of their prams and can not admit to their antics which cause managers to get sacked.
Beppe might have done a lot of things wrong, but at least he owned up.
The new manager has the same problems and can he keep such abi squad of players happy. I do not think so.
What a load of rubbish, The management messed up, according to them they chose the wrong type of coaches. Frank Smith harping on about fall out from players for weeks now. And all of a sudden an article stating it was not this. Their is also a section of typing supporters who has never liked him and made it well known. Other supporters he did admire, the true Watford supporters.no matter what. We now have players who throw their dummies out of their prams and can not admit to their antics which cause managers to get sacked. Beppe might have done a lot of things wrong, but at least he owned up. The new manager has the same problems and can he keep such abi squad of players happy. I do not think so. honest-view
  • Score: 4

9:45pm Thu 4 Sep 14

PozzoHornet says...

lutondown wrote:
PozzoHornet wrote:
Pretty shocking that this is the reason. Terribly managed by the Pozzos. If this was the reason, they should have fired him in the summer and given someone else a full pre-season. I know it's easy to say in hindsight, but all the same, I'm extremely disappointed.
Suffice to say we can expect you to change your name to maybe Bazzahornet? Smell the coffee
Of course, because any objective criticism of the current regime means I'd like the previous one in charge. Great logic.

This isn't politics. I don't positively spin everything the Pozzos do because I support their ownership, because I'd be lying to myself. Ownership under the Pozzos has pros and cons - far more of the former than the latter. But the cons do exist and if you think they don't, then you're kidding yourself.

As my screen name suggests, I am 100% behind the Pozzos as our owners. But I won't sacrifice my freedom of thought for them.
[quote][p][bold]lutondown[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]PozzoHornet[/bold] wrote: Pretty shocking that this is the reason. Terribly managed by the Pozzos. If this was the reason, they should have fired him in the summer and given someone else a full pre-season. I know it's easy to say in hindsight, but all the same, I'm extremely disappointed.[/p][/quote]Suffice to say we can expect you to change your name to maybe Bazzahornet? Smell the coffee[/p][/quote]Of course, because any objective criticism of the current regime means I'd like the previous one in charge. Great logic. This isn't politics. I don't positively spin everything the Pozzos do because I support their ownership, because I'd be lying to myself. Ownership under the Pozzos has pros and cons - far more of the former than the latter. But the cons do exist and if you think they don't, then you're kidding yourself. As my screen name suggests, I am 100% behind the Pozzos as our owners. But I won't sacrifice my freedom of thought for them. PozzoHornet
  • Score: 1
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree