Four loanees feature as Gianfranco Zola secures first Watford win at Cork City

Watford Observer: Manuel Almunia was an unused substitute tonight Manuel Almunia was an unused substitute tonight

Gianfranco Zola secured his first win as Watford manager tonight against Cork City, as travelling supporters caught their first glimpses of loanees Steve Leo Beleck and Ikechi Anya.

New goalkeeper Manuel Almunia was in Watford’s match-day squad in Ireland but he was the only unused substitute as Joe Garner and Piero Mingoia’s goals either side if half time helped secure victory.

Jonathan Bond played the full 90 minutes in goal behind a defence which consisted of Lee Hodson, Martin Taylor, Nyron Nosworthy and Daniel Pudil, with John Eustace playing in his more familiar role in defensive midfield after featuring at centre half at Wealdstone on Saturday.

Almen Abdi and Jonathan Hogg joined the Hornets skipper in midfielder, with Mark Yeates and Sean Murray playing either side of Joe Garner up front.

Watford Observer: Zola in CorkWatford Observer: Anya

Gianfranco Zola signing autographs for supporters and Ikechi Anya after his first Watford appearance.

Watford were extremely comfortable in possession this evening and kept the ball well for prolonged periods but often lacked the final ball.

Some nice play, which involved Abdi and Murray, led to Garner opening the scoring midway through the first half as his low drive from just inside the area took a slight deflection on its way in.

Abdi and Yeates had efforts saved after that but it was a largely uneventful first half.

There were three changes at the break, as Carl Dickinson, Anya and Lloyd Doyley replaced Hodson, Pudil and Eustace.

There were to be a succession of changes in the second half and Cork enjoyed a positive15 -minute spell, when Bond had to be at his best to deny Stephen Kenny.

Watford continued to keep possession, as they rarely came out of second gear, and Mingoia secured the victory late on with a delightful 25-yard strike.

Watford Observer: Mingoia in Cork

Piero Mingoia's second goal of pre-season was the highlight against Cork.

The attacker, who had another chance after his goal, has impressed during pre-season and did so again tonight, as did Murray in the first half.

Leo Beleck showed his size and strength, firing over on one occasion, after coming on as a substitute around the hour mark and fellow loanee Anya looked lively.

Watford were comfortable for most of the game and the emphasis seemed to be on maintaining possession, rather than searching for more goals.

One disappointment from the night was an injury sustained by Dale Bennett, who was replaced by Adam Thompson.

Around 200 Watford fans made the trip to Cork, joined by even more Ireland-based Hornets supporters. The total attendance was 1,182.

Watford Observer: Horseshoe Inn Cork

Cork’s side consisted of a mixture of first team players and youngsters, as the Irish outfit have a game against Manchester United tomorrow night.

Watford: Bond; Hodson (Doyley HT), Taylor (Bennett 59, Thompson 70), Nosworthy (Mirfin 59), Pudil (Dickinson HT); Eustace (Anya HT), Abdi (Whichelow 63), Hogg (Jenkins 59); Yeates (Forsyth 59), Garner (Beleck 63), Murray (Mingoia 63). Unused sub: Almunia.

Comments (40)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:26pm Tue 24 Jul 12

smeg says...

"the emphasis seemed to be on maintaining possession, rather than searching for more goals." That is my worry for this season, like Rogers before him I'm concerned with the obsession for passing for no reason other than it look s pretty. Passing and goals and I'll be happy.
"the emphasis seemed to be on maintaining possession, rather than searching for more goals." That is my worry for this season, like Rogers before him I'm concerned with the obsession for passing for no reason other than it look s pretty. Passing and goals and I'll be happy. smeg
  • Score: 0

11:41pm Tue 24 Jul 12

Bringe says...

smeg wrote:
"the emphasis seemed to be on maintaining possession, rather than searching for more goals." That is my worry for this season, like Rogers before him I'm concerned with the obsession for passing for no reason other than it look s pretty. Passing and goals and I'll be happy.
Behave! you have to work the openings first - if it works for Barcelona then it will work for us. We know from Rodgers' tenure it won't be instant but I heard no cries of good riddance when he was poached,by then we were scoring well and winning games comfortably. By all accounts Pozzo's teams are more attack minded than most Italian and Spanish clubs.
[quote][p][bold]smeg[/bold] wrote: "the emphasis seemed to be on maintaining possession, rather than searching for more goals." That is my worry for this season, like Rogers before him I'm concerned with the obsession for passing for no reason other than it look s pretty. Passing and goals and I'll be happy.[/p][/quote]Behave! you have to work the openings first - if it works for Barcelona then it will work for us. We know from Rodgers' tenure it won't be instant but I heard no cries of good riddance when he was poached,by then we were scoring well and winning games comfortably. By all accounts Pozzo's teams are more attack minded than most Italian and Spanish clubs. Bringe
  • Score: 0

11:45pm Tue 24 Jul 12

worthing_hornet says...

Agree completely. If you don't keep the ball you are just giving the opposition more time to score. Swansea. Blackpool. Reading. All are getting the ball down and passing. It is time to shed our hoof ball tag and become a football team again.
Agree completely. If you don't keep the ball you are just giving the opposition more time to score. Swansea. Blackpool. Reading. All are getting the ball down and passing. It is time to shed our hoof ball tag and become a football team again. worthing_hornet
  • Score: 0

11:55pm Tue 24 Jul 12

Bush Hornet says...

smeg wrote:
"the emphasis seemed to be on maintaining possession, rather than searching for more goals." That is my worry for this season, like Rogers before him I'm concerned with the obsession for passing for no reason other than it look s pretty. Passing and goals and I'll be happy.
Keepy keepy football. Love it. Get with it Smeggy
[quote][p][bold]smeg[/bold] wrote: "the emphasis seemed to be on maintaining possession, rather than searching for more goals." That is my worry for this season, like Rogers before him I'm concerned with the obsession for passing for no reason other than it look s pretty. Passing and goals and I'll be happy.[/p][/quote]Keepy keepy football. Love it. Get with it Smeggy Bush Hornet
  • Score: 0

2:15am Wed 25 Jul 12

holtonian says...

Good teams pass for fun, so much easier with the ball than chasing shadows over 90 minutes.Dont hear any complaints at Barca for over passing.Enough said.
Good teams pass for fun, so much easier with the ball than chasing shadows over 90 minutes.Dont hear any complaints at Barca for over passing.Enough said. holtonian
  • Score: 0

5:45am Wed 25 Jul 12

lutondown says...

smeg wrote:
"the emphasis seemed to be on maintaining possession, rather than searching for more goals." That is my worry for this season, like Rogers before him I'm concerned with the obsession for passing for no reason other than it look s pretty. Passing and goals and I'll be happy.
I'm sure there's a nice team that will satisfy your **** for hoofball, how's about Northampton, hear they have a specialist manager.
Unbelievable post, you really are in the camp that wants this regime to fail.
One word on the trialists. I think the time Zola is taking to assess these players can only be a good thing, I compare it to last season when we had enmasse signings of wholesale tripe.
[quote][p][bold]smeg[/bold] wrote: "the emphasis seemed to be on maintaining possession, rather than searching for more goals." That is my worry for this season, like Rogers before him I'm concerned with the obsession for passing for no reason other than it look s pretty. Passing and goals and I'll be happy.[/p][/quote]I'm sure there's a nice team that will satisfy your **** for hoofball, how's about Northampton, hear they have a specialist manager. Unbelievable post, you really are in the camp that wants this regime to fail. One word on the trialists. I think the time Zola is taking to assess these players can only be a good thing, I compare it to last season when we had enmasse signings of wholesale tripe. lutondown
  • Score: 0

7:05am Wed 25 Jul 12

SAHornet says...

lutondown wrote:
smeg wrote:
"the emphasis seemed to be on maintaining possession, rather than searching for more goals." That is my worry for this season, like Rogers before him I'm concerned with the obsession for passing for no reason other than it look s pretty. Passing and goals and I'll be happy.
I'm sure there's a nice team that will satisfy your **** for hoofball, how's about Northampton, hear they have a specialist manager.
Unbelievable post, you really are in the camp that wants this regime to fail.
One word on the trialists. I think the time Zola is taking to assess these players can only be a good thing, I compare it to last season when we had enmasse signings of wholesale tripe.
Excellent post LD and hits the nail (or smeg) on the head. Even now, although it's still the closed season, I'm getting good vibes about how GZ is starting to work with the lads, new & old. How refreshing to have some pride back for the team that you've loved since you were 7 years old.
[quote][p][bold]lutondown[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smeg[/bold] wrote: "the emphasis seemed to be on maintaining possession, rather than searching for more goals." That is my worry for this season, like Rogers before him I'm concerned with the obsession for passing for no reason other than it look s pretty. Passing and goals and I'll be happy.[/p][/quote]I'm sure there's a nice team that will satisfy your **** for hoofball, how's about Northampton, hear they have a specialist manager. Unbelievable post, you really are in the camp that wants this regime to fail. One word on the trialists. I think the time Zola is taking to assess these players can only be a good thing, I compare it to last season when we had enmasse signings of wholesale tripe.[/p][/quote]Excellent post LD and hits the nail (or smeg) on the head. Even now, although it's still the closed season, I'm getting good vibes about how GZ is starting to work with the lads, new & old. How refreshing to have some pride back for the team that you've loved since you were 7 years old. SAHornet
  • Score: 0

7:07am Wed 25 Jul 12

SAHornet says...

Strange how Almunia didn't feature - still unfit or admin problems, jew fink?
Strange how Almunia didn't feature - still unfit or admin problems, jew fink? SAHornet
  • Score: 0

7:09am Wed 25 Jul 12

endean2 says...

sounds like a much more controlled preformance from the team, can somebody that was there giv us a rundown on the indidvidual efforts.

what news of Hall, when will he sign,
cant wait for this season to start shame we have the Olympics to wade through
first.
sounds like a much more controlled preformance from the team, can somebody that was there giv us a rundown on the indidvidual efforts. what news of Hall, when will he sign, cant wait for this season to start shame we have the Olympics to wade through first. endean2
  • Score: 0

7:52am Wed 25 Jul 12

Chris the Vic says...

So we kept the ball against Cork City who were not at full strength unlike us.
It will be of far more interest how we measure up against Spurs, especially as last year we pushed an almost first team hard and would have had a result cept for Scottie. Didn't Harry say they got away with daylight robbery.
However a win at this stage and playing football cannot be bad but comparisons with barca are a tad OTT even for happy clappers!
So we kept the ball against Cork City who were not at full strength unlike us. It will be of far more interest how we measure up against Spurs, especially as last year we pushed an almost first team hard and would have had a result cept for Scottie. Didn't Harry say they got away with daylight robbery. However a win at this stage and playing football cannot be bad but comparisons with barca are a tad OTT even for happy clappers! Chris the Vic
  • Score: 0

8:01am Wed 25 Jul 12

EstebanSemtex says...

An encouraging report. As many have already mentioned, if you keep the ball the opposition can't score. Interesting that Harry Crawford, the Cork trailist that gave us the most problems is a local lad (to Watford). Guess he must have slipped the net! Loving the 4-3-3, bodes well for a more fluid, attacking Watford side!

Forza Watford!
An encouraging report. As many have already mentioned, if you keep the ball the opposition can't score. Interesting that Harry Crawford, the Cork trailist that gave us the most problems is a local lad (to Watford). Guess he must have slipped the net! Loving the 4-3-3, bodes well for a more fluid, attacking Watford side! Forza Watford! EstebanSemtex
  • Score: 0

8:07am Wed 25 Jul 12

smeg says...

Bringe wrote:
smeg wrote:
"the emphasis seemed to be on maintaining possession, rather than searching for more goals." That is my worry for this season, like Rogers before him I'm concerned with the obsession for passing for no reason other than it look s pretty. Passing and goals and I'll be happy.
Behave! you have to work the openings first - if it works for Barcelona then it will work for us. We know from Rodgers' tenure it won't be instant but I heard no cries of good riddance when he was poached,by then we were scoring well and winning games comfortably. By all accounts Pozzo's teams are more attack minded than most Italian and Spanish clubs.
Fair point but Rogers only started winning after he changed to 4 4 2. There always needs to be a plan B. But I'm not saying their isn't one.
[quote][p][bold]Bringe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smeg[/bold] wrote: "the emphasis seemed to be on maintaining possession, rather than searching for more goals." That is my worry for this season, like Rogers before him I'm concerned with the obsession for passing for no reason other than it look s pretty. Passing and goals and I'll be happy.[/p][/quote]Behave! you have to work the openings first - if it works for Barcelona then it will work for us. We know from Rodgers' tenure it won't be instant but I heard no cries of good riddance when he was poached,by then we were scoring well and winning games comfortably. By all accounts Pozzo's teams are more attack minded than most Italian and Spanish clubs.[/p][/quote]Fair point but Rogers only started winning after he changed to 4 4 2. There always needs to be a plan B. But I'm not saying their isn't one. smeg
  • Score: 0

8:15am Wed 25 Jul 12

smeg says...

lutondown wrote:
smeg wrote:
"the emphasis seemed to be on maintaining possession, rather than searching for more goals." That is my worry for this season, like Rogers before him I'm concerned with the obsession for passing for no reason other than it look s pretty. Passing and goals and I'll be happy.
I'm sure there's a nice team that will satisfy your **** for hoofball, how's about Northampton, hear they have a specialist manager.
Unbelievable post, you really are in the camp that wants this regime to fail.
One word on the trialists. I think the time Zola is taking to assess these players can only be a good thing, I compare it to last season when we had enmasse signings of wholesale tripe.
Did I say I wanted hoofball? Did I say I wanted this to fail? Read it again. As usual you have nothing to say but your desperation to start an argument means you say it anyway. If you want to discuss stuff I did actually say, go ahead.
[quote][p][bold]lutondown[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smeg[/bold] wrote: "the emphasis seemed to be on maintaining possession, rather than searching for more goals." That is my worry for this season, like Rogers before him I'm concerned with the obsession for passing for no reason other than it look s pretty. Passing and goals and I'll be happy.[/p][/quote]I'm sure there's a nice team that will satisfy your **** for hoofball, how's about Northampton, hear they have a specialist manager. Unbelievable post, you really are in the camp that wants this regime to fail. One word on the trialists. I think the time Zola is taking to assess these players can only be a good thing, I compare it to last season when we had enmasse signings of wholesale tripe.[/p][/quote]Did I say I wanted hoofball? Did I say I wanted this to fail? Read it again. As usual you have nothing to say but your desperation to start an argument means you say it anyway. If you want to discuss stuff I did actually say, go ahead. smeg
  • Score: 0

8:17am Wed 25 Jul 12

Mickey Quinn, not so thin says...

keeping the ball is particularly important in the first few months of the year when it can be **** hot !
keeping the ball is particularly important in the first few months of the year when it can be **** hot ! Mickey Quinn, not so thin
  • Score: 0

8:53am Wed 25 Jul 12

COGGDAVE1 says...

lutondown wrote:
smeg wrote:
"the emphasis seemed to be on maintaining possession, rather than searching for more goals." That is my worry for this season, like Rogers before him I'm concerned with the obsession for passing for no reason other than it look s pretty. Passing and goals and I'll be happy.
I'm sure there's a nice team that will satisfy your **** for hoofball, how's about Northampton, hear they have a specialist manager.
Unbelievable post, you really are in the camp that wants this regime to fail.
One word on the trialists. I think the time Zola is taking to assess these players can only be a good thing, I compare it to last season when we had enmasse signings of wholesale tripe.
OMG .. agree 100% with LD..(dont happen much) ..but he is spot on ..
[quote][p][bold]lutondown[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smeg[/bold] wrote: "the emphasis seemed to be on maintaining possession, rather than searching for more goals." That is my worry for this season, like Rogers before him I'm concerned with the obsession for passing for no reason other than it look s pretty. Passing and goals and I'll be happy.[/p][/quote]I'm sure there's a nice team that will satisfy your **** for hoofball, how's about Northampton, hear they have a specialist manager. Unbelievable post, you really are in the camp that wants this regime to fail. One word on the trialists. I think the time Zola is taking to assess these players can only be a good thing, I compare it to last season when we had enmasse signings of wholesale tripe.[/p][/quote]OMG .. agree 100% with LD..(dont happen much) ..but he is spot on .. COGGDAVE1
  • Score: 0

9:37am Wed 25 Jul 12

buckler says...

Fitz Hall not looking like being a hornet now! Very strange or just not good enough?
Fitz Hall not looking like being a hornet now! Very strange or just not good enough? buckler
  • Score: 0

9:41am Wed 25 Jul 12

Ronny oh Ronny Ronny says...

buckler wrote:
Fitz Hall not looking like being a hornet now! Very strange or just not good enough?
I'm sure he isn't the sort of player forest with their millions would have been hoping for! Glad we aren't just signing players for the sake of it, no great loss to be fair.
[quote][p][bold]buckler[/bold] wrote: Fitz Hall not looking like being a hornet now! Very strange or just not good enough?[/p][/quote]I'm sure he isn't the sort of player forest with their millions would have been hoping for! Glad we aren't just signing players for the sake of it, no great loss to be fair. Ronny oh Ronny Ronny
  • Score: 0

9:46am Wed 25 Jul 12

rousman 2 says...

buckler wrote:
Fitz Hall not looking like being a hornet now! Very strange or just not good enough?
Good he is always injured, I dont think we should be shopping in the QPR dustbin anyway.
[quote][p][bold]buckler[/bold] wrote: Fitz Hall not looking like being a hornet now! Very strange or just not good enough?[/p][/quote]Good he is always injured, I dont think we should be shopping in the QPR dustbin anyway. rousman 2
  • Score: 0

9:57am Wed 25 Jul 12

Bringe says...

smeg wrote:
Bringe wrote:
smeg wrote:
"the emphasis seemed to be on maintaining possession, rather than searching for more goals." That is my worry for this season, like Rogers before him I'm concerned with the obsession for passing for no reason other than it look s pretty. Passing and goals and I'll be happy.
Behave! you have to work the openings first - if it works for Barcelona then it will work for us. We know from Rodgers' tenure it won't be instant but I heard no cries of good riddance when he was poached,by then we were scoring well and winning games comfortably. By all accounts Pozzo's teams are more attack minded than most Italian and Spanish clubs.
Fair point but Rogers only started winning after he changed to 4 4 2. There always needs to be a plan B. But I'm not saying their isn't one.
Tell Rodgers it was a 4-4-2 and he'll skin you alive.
Plan A attack, plan B defend. You don't need anything else.
[quote][p][bold]smeg[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bringe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smeg[/bold] wrote: "the emphasis seemed to be on maintaining possession, rather than searching for more goals." That is my worry for this season, like Rogers before him I'm concerned with the obsession for passing for no reason other than it look s pretty. Passing and goals and I'll be happy.[/p][/quote]Behave! you have to work the openings first - if it works for Barcelona then it will work for us. We know from Rodgers' tenure it won't be instant but I heard no cries of good riddance when he was poached,by then we were scoring well and winning games comfortably. By all accounts Pozzo's teams are more attack minded than most Italian and Spanish clubs.[/p][/quote]Fair point but Rogers only started winning after he changed to 4 4 2. There always needs to be a plan B. But I'm not saying their isn't one.[/p][/quote]Tell Rodgers it was a 4-4-2 and he'll skin you alive. Plan A attack, plan B defend. You don't need anything else. Bringe
  • Score: 0

10:35am Wed 25 Jul 12

McHornet says...

Goals win games, not possesion! Lets remember that...
Goals win games, not possesion! Lets remember that... McHornet
  • Score: 0

10:49am Wed 25 Jul 12

COGGDAVE1 says...

McHornet wrote:
Goals win games, not possesion! Lets remember that...
Tell 'Baca' that .....
[quote][p][bold]McHornet[/bold] wrote: Goals win games, not possesion! Lets remember that...[/p][/quote]Tell 'Baca' that ..... COGGDAVE1
  • Score: 0

11:53am Wed 25 Jul 12

RebelIan says...

To all the people obsessed with Barcelona don't forget that last season they didn't win La Liga and they didn't win the Champions League either. Passing for passing's sake is pointless. Whether it's short passing or long ball it doesn't matter providing the objectives are either score or stop the opponents scoring.
To all the people obsessed with Barcelona don't forget that last season they didn't win La Liga and they didn't win the Champions League either. Passing for passing's sake is pointless. Whether it's short passing or long ball it doesn't matter providing the objectives are either score or stop the opponents scoring. RebelIan
  • Score: 0

12:23pm Wed 25 Jul 12

Goldenboy1960 says...

Bringe wrote:
smeg wrote: "the emphasis seemed to be on maintaining possession, rather than searching for more goals." That is my worry for this season, like Rogers before him I'm concerned with the obsession for passing for no reason other than it look s pretty. Passing and goals and I'll be happy.
Behave! you have to work the openings first - if it works for Barcelona then it will work for us. We know from Rodgers' tenure it won't be instant but I heard no cries of good riddance when he was poached,by then we were scoring well and winning games comfortably. By all accounts Pozzo's teams are more attack minded than most Italian and Spanish clubs.
Hey Barcelona have world class players who have the ability to play like that. WE DO NOT. Please do not compare. No team has won a game yet by having more possession and just to remind you it's the team who scores the most goals win! It's great if we can keep the ball but only if we play with a purpose and end product. You have to have the players who can do that when under massive pressure of teams that squeeze up and chase you down. Championship teams do not let the opposition have the ball in the defensive 3rd like Italy and Spain. Time will tell whether that football can be a success in the Championship. I think it better that you can mix it up and adapt to different game scenarios, but if he thinks it will be pretty in the cold weather of January? Well we will see. My experience is that unless you adapt you are gone.
[quote][p][bold]Bringe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smeg[/bold] wrote: "the emphasis seemed to be on maintaining possession, rather than searching for more goals." That is my worry for this season, like Rogers before him I'm concerned with the obsession for passing for no reason other than it look s pretty. Passing and goals and I'll be happy.[/p][/quote]Behave! you have to work the openings first - if it works for Barcelona then it will work for us. We know from Rodgers' tenure it won't be instant but I heard no cries of good riddance when he was poached,by then we were scoring well and winning games comfortably. By all accounts Pozzo's teams are more attack minded than most Italian and Spanish clubs.[/p][/quote]Hey Barcelona have world class players who have the ability to play like that. WE DO NOT. Please do not compare. No team has won a game yet by having more possession and just to remind you it's the team who scores the most goals win! It's great if we can keep the ball but only if we play with a purpose and end product. You have to have the players who can do that when under massive pressure of teams that squeeze up and chase you down. Championship teams do not let the opposition have the ball in the defensive 3rd like Italy and Spain. Time will tell whether that football can be a success in the Championship. I think it better that you can mix it up and adapt to different game scenarios, but if he thinks it will be pretty in the cold weather of January? Well we will see. My experience is that unless you adapt you are gone. Goldenboy1960
  • Score: 0

12:58pm Wed 25 Jul 12

Bringe says...

Disagree with most of that Goldenboy, now more than ever it's the quality that wins out. You make it sound the opposite.
Italian and Spanish teams are masters at squeezing up and harrying but it's the teams continually chasing down that usually end up both knackered and on the losing side.
Exceptions happen and we know the passing game fails once "team" is lost from "tactics" however gradually the cruder tactics are losing their grip in this league, if you rely on them there's only one direction.
Disagree with most of that Goldenboy, now more than ever it's the quality that wins out. You make it sound the opposite. Italian and Spanish teams are masters at squeezing up and harrying but it's the teams continually chasing down that usually end up both knackered and on the losing side. Exceptions happen and we know the passing game fails once "team" is lost from "tactics" however gradually the cruder tactics are losing their grip in this league, if you rely on them there's only one direction. Bringe
  • Score: 0

1:28pm Wed 25 Jul 12

abbotshornet says...

Any team can only play with the quality of player they can afford and attract. Back during Watford's most successful period we used each player to the best of their ability playing exciting attacking football. Back then teams beaten by our direct approach (and their advocates) said we hoofed the ball up in the air and did not play cultured football like the big clubs of the day.
Prime example Hoddle plays a 60 yard ball and it's genius, Ian Bolton plays the same accurate pass and it's a hoof!
Maybe Zola can finally dispel our largely unjustified label as hoofers at Watford, let's hope so.
Very true if you keep the ball the other side cannot score, but I would like the team to make every effort to get the ball (with enough players) forward as quickly as possible and try to score goals!
Almunia's signing may not be entirely complete so could not feature as yet. COYH
Any team can only play with the quality of player they can afford and attract. Back during Watford's most successful period we used each player to the best of their ability playing exciting attacking football. Back then teams beaten by our direct approach (and their advocates) said we hoofed the ball up in the air and did not play cultured football like the big clubs of the day. Prime example Hoddle plays a 60 yard ball and it's genius, Ian Bolton plays the same accurate pass and it's a hoof! Maybe Zola can finally dispel our largely unjustified label as hoofers at Watford, let's hope so. Very true if you keep the ball the other side cannot score, but I would like the team to make every effort to get the ball (with enough players) forward as quickly as possible and try to score goals! Almunia's signing may not be entirely complete so could not feature as yet. COYH abbotshornet
  • Score: 0

2:21pm Wed 25 Jul 12

LesCSP says...

No Big Chris last night, any truth in the Preston rumour?
No Big Chris last night, any truth in the Preston rumour? LesCSP
  • Score: 0

3:31pm Wed 25 Jul 12

Mickey Quinn, not so thin says...

abbotshornet wrote:
Any team can only play with the quality of player they can afford and attract. Back during Watford's most successful period we used each player to the best of their ability playing exciting attacking football. Back then teams beaten by our direct approach (and their advocates) said we hoofed the ball up in the air and did not play cultured football like the big clubs of the day.
Prime example Hoddle plays a 60 yard ball and it's genius, Ian Bolton plays the same accurate pass and it's a hoof!
Maybe Zola can finally dispel our largely unjustified label as hoofers at Watford, let's hope so.
Very true if you keep the ball the other side cannot score, but I would like the team to make every effort to get the ball (with enough players) forward as quickly as possible and try to score goals!
Almunia's signing may not be entirely complete so could not feature as yet. COYH
Passing football, but with pace and shots on target please.

Barca lost to Chelski because they didn't get in enough shots, too worried about keeping the ball.

The style of passing football under Vialli was also arrogant. We would win position, allow opponents to re-group, then try to pass it through the entire team.

We've got to get the balance right between keeping possession and breaking at speed when the option is there. It took Rodgers a month or two to realise this. I'm sure GZ will too.
[quote][p][bold]abbotshornet[/bold] wrote: Any team can only play with the quality of player they can afford and attract. Back during Watford's most successful period we used each player to the best of their ability playing exciting attacking football. Back then teams beaten by our direct approach (and their advocates) said we hoofed the ball up in the air and did not play cultured football like the big clubs of the day. Prime example Hoddle plays a 60 yard ball and it's genius, Ian Bolton plays the same accurate pass and it's a hoof! Maybe Zola can finally dispel our largely unjustified label as hoofers at Watford, let's hope so. Very true if you keep the ball the other side cannot score, but I would like the team to make every effort to get the ball (with enough players) forward as quickly as possible and try to score goals! Almunia's signing may not be entirely complete so could not feature as yet. COYH[/p][/quote]Passing football, but with pace and shots on target please. Barca lost to Chelski because they didn't get in enough shots, too worried about keeping the ball. The style of passing football under Vialli was also arrogant. We would win position, allow opponents to re-group, then try to pass it through the entire team. We've got to get the balance right between keeping possession and breaking at speed when the option is there. It took Rodgers a month or two to realise this. I'm sure GZ will too. Mickey Quinn, not so thin
  • Score: 0

3:31pm Wed 25 Jul 12

Dr,Oftaw says...

Goldenboy1960 wrote:
Bringe wrote:
smeg wrote: "the emphasis seemed to be on maintaining possession, rather than searching for more goals." That is my worry for this season, like Rogers before him I'm concerned with the obsession for passing for no reason other than it look s pretty. Passing and goals and I'll be happy.
Behave! you have to work the openings first - if it works for Barcelona then it will work for us. We know from Rodgers' tenure it won't be instant but I heard no cries of good riddance when he was poached,by then we were scoring well and winning games comfortably. By all accounts Pozzo's teams are more attack minded than most Italian and Spanish clubs.
Hey Barcelona have world class players who have the ability to play like that. WE DO NOT. Please do not compare. No team has won a game yet by having more possession and just to remind you it's the team who scores the most goals win! It's great if we can keep the ball but only if we play with a purpose and end product. You have to have the players who can do that when under massive pressure of teams that squeeze up and chase you down. Championship teams do not let the opposition have the ball in the defensive 3rd like Italy and Spain. Time will tell whether that football can be a success in the Championship. I think it better that you can mix it up and adapt to different game scenarios, but if he thinks it will be pretty in the cold weather of January? Well we will see. My experience is that unless you adapt you are gone.
of course it can be a success, did`nt swansea pass their way to the premier
[quote][p][bold]Goldenboy1960[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bringe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smeg[/bold] wrote: "the emphasis seemed to be on maintaining possession, rather than searching for more goals." That is my worry for this season, like Rogers before him I'm concerned with the obsession for passing for no reason other than it look s pretty. Passing and goals and I'll be happy.[/p][/quote]Behave! you have to work the openings first - if it works for Barcelona then it will work for us. We know from Rodgers' tenure it won't be instant but I heard no cries of good riddance when he was poached,by then we were scoring well and winning games comfortably. By all accounts Pozzo's teams are more attack minded than most Italian and Spanish clubs.[/p][/quote]Hey Barcelona have world class players who have the ability to play like that. WE DO NOT. Please do not compare. No team has won a game yet by having more possession and just to remind you it's the team who scores the most goals win! It's great if we can keep the ball but only if we play with a purpose and end product. You have to have the players who can do that when under massive pressure of teams that squeeze up and chase you down. Championship teams do not let the opposition have the ball in the defensive 3rd like Italy and Spain. Time will tell whether that football can be a success in the Championship. I think it better that you can mix it up and adapt to different game scenarios, but if he thinks it will be pretty in the cold weather of January? Well we will see. My experience is that unless you adapt you are gone.[/p][/quote]of course it can be a success, did`nt swansea pass their way to the premier Dr,Oftaw
  • Score: 0

4:15pm Wed 25 Jul 12

lutondown says...

COGGDAVE1 wrote:
McHornet wrote:
Goals win games, not possesion! Lets remember that...
Tell 'Baca' that .....
Don't often agree with you, but spot on!
Touché LOL
[quote][p][bold]COGGDAVE1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]McHornet[/bold] wrote: Goals win games, not possesion! Lets remember that...[/p][/quote]Tell 'Baca' that .....[/p][/quote]Don't often agree with you, but spot on! Touché LOL lutondown
  • Score: 0

4:25pm Wed 25 Jul 12

lutondown says...

smeg wrote:
lutondown wrote:
smeg wrote:
"the emphasis seemed to be on maintaining possession, rather than searching for more goals." That is my worry for this season, like Rogers before him I'm concerned with the obsession for passing for no reason other than it look s pretty. Passing and goals and I'll be happy.
I'm sure there's a nice team that will satisfy your **** for hoofball, how's about Northampton, hear they have a specialist manager.
Unbelievable post, you really are in the camp that wants this regime to fail.
One word on the trialists. I think the time Zola is taking to assess these players can only be a good thing, I compare it to last season when we had enmasse signings of wholesale tripe.
Did I say I wanted hoofball? Did I say I wanted this to fail? Read it again. As usual you have nothing to say but your desperation to start an argument means you say it anyway. If you want to discuss stuff I did actually say, go ahead.
Calm down dear, quite a stroppy retort. Me start a row? Not me sir, I'm a very happy clapper since we got an ambitious owner, a charismatic, ball playing coach, a future, money, no Bas, moved on from our ex 'holding' manager (yes, I do love a row!)
I know you liked me calling you a fridge, so I'll do it again but to show my goodwill I'll pander to you a little, fridge Freezer! so now cool down or defrost or whatever you white appliances do.
Only 50 miles to Northants and old hero Hoofer!
[quote][p][bold]smeg[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]lutondown[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smeg[/bold] wrote: "the emphasis seemed to be on maintaining possession, rather than searching for more goals." That is my worry for this season, like Rogers before him I'm concerned with the obsession for passing for no reason other than it look s pretty. Passing and goals and I'll be happy.[/p][/quote]I'm sure there's a nice team that will satisfy your **** for hoofball, how's about Northampton, hear they have a specialist manager. Unbelievable post, you really are in the camp that wants this regime to fail. One word on the trialists. I think the time Zola is taking to assess these players can only be a good thing, I compare it to last season when we had enmasse signings of wholesale tripe.[/p][/quote]Did I say I wanted hoofball? Did I say I wanted this to fail? Read it again. As usual you have nothing to say but your desperation to start an argument means you say it anyway. If you want to discuss stuff I did actually say, go ahead.[/p][/quote]Calm down dear, quite a stroppy retort. Me start a row? Not me sir, I'm a very happy clapper since we got an ambitious owner, a charismatic, ball playing coach, a future, money, no Bas, moved on from our ex 'holding' manager (yes, I do love a row!) I know you liked me calling you a fridge, so I'll do it again but to show my goodwill I'll pander to you a little, fridge Freezer! so now cool down or defrost or whatever you white appliances do. Only 50 miles to Northants and old hero Hoofer! lutondown
  • Score: 0

4:38pm Wed 25 Jul 12

lutondown says...

Mickey Quinn, not so thin wrote:
abbotshornet wrote:
Any team can only play with the quality of player they can afford and attract. Back during Watford's most successful period we used each player to the best of their ability playing exciting attacking football. Back then teams beaten by our direct approach (and their advocates) said we hoofed the ball up in the air and did not play cultured football like the big clubs of the day.
Prime example Hoddle plays a 60 yard ball and it's genius, Ian Bolton plays the same accurate pass and it's a hoof!
Maybe Zola can finally dispel our largely unjustified label as hoofers at Watford, let's hope so.
Very true if you keep the ball the other side cannot score, but I would like the team to make every effort to get the ball (with enough players) forward as quickly as possible and try to score goals!
Almunia's signing may not be entirely complete so could not feature as yet. COYH
Passing football, but with pace and shots on target please.

Barca lost to Chelski because they didn't get in enough shots, too worried about keeping the ball.

The style of passing football under Vialli was also arrogant. We would win position, allow opponents to re-group, then try to pass it through the entire team.

We've got to get the balance right between keeping possession and breaking at speed when the option is there. It took Rodgers a month or two to realise this. I'm sure GZ will too.
Mickey I think you might want to look over the stats for shots on target for the two CFC v Barca games. That wasn't the issue, it was just not their night, it happens. I was glad it never, as it was an English team (well kind of!) press and pass football is hard to beat when played right, and I for one will welcome it over that ugly stuff we have played at times.
[quote][p][bold]Mickey Quinn, not so thin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]abbotshornet[/bold] wrote: Any team can only play with the quality of player they can afford and attract. Back during Watford's most successful period we used each player to the best of their ability playing exciting attacking football. Back then teams beaten by our direct approach (and their advocates) said we hoofed the ball up in the air and did not play cultured football like the big clubs of the day. Prime example Hoddle plays a 60 yard ball and it's genius, Ian Bolton plays the same accurate pass and it's a hoof! Maybe Zola can finally dispel our largely unjustified label as hoofers at Watford, let's hope so. Very true if you keep the ball the other side cannot score, but I would like the team to make every effort to get the ball (with enough players) forward as quickly as possible and try to score goals! Almunia's signing may not be entirely complete so could not feature as yet. COYH[/p][/quote]Passing football, but with pace and shots on target please. Barca lost to Chelski because they didn't get in enough shots, too worried about keeping the ball. The style of passing football under Vialli was also arrogant. We would win position, allow opponents to re-group, then try to pass it through the entire team. We've got to get the balance right between keeping possession and breaking at speed when the option is there. It took Rodgers a month or two to realise this. I'm sure GZ will too.[/p][/quote]Mickey I think you might want to look over the stats for shots on target for the two CFC v Barca games. That wasn't the issue, it was just not their night, it happens. I was glad it never, as it was an English team (well kind of!) press and pass football is hard to beat when played right, and I for one will welcome it over that ugly stuff we have played at times. lutondown
  • Score: 0

11:33am Thu 26 Jul 12

stevyweavy says...

Presumably the reason why no loan players have been confirmed is due to the fact that you can only have 4 loan players during the season (plus one additional youth loan). Therefore they are at present effectively trialists with us until Zola makes his mind up whether to take any / all of them for the season so as to enable him to choose alternative loan players if he so wishes.
Presumably the reason why no loan players have been confirmed is due to the fact that you can only have 4 loan players during the season (plus one additional youth loan). Therefore they are at present effectively trialists with us until Zola makes his mind up whether to take any / all of them for the season so as to enable him to choose alternative loan players if he so wishes. stevyweavy
  • Score: 0

12:47pm Thu 26 Jul 12

Mickey Quinn, not so thin says...

stevyweavy wrote:
Presumably the reason why no loan players have been confirmed is due to the fact that you can only have 4 loan players during the season (plus one additional youth loan). Therefore they are at present effectively trialists with us until Zola makes his mind up whether to take any / all of them for the season so as to enable him to choose alternative loan players if he so wishes.
Not sure but I believe someone else had posted that season-long loans from Europe don't count towards your loan quota ??
[quote][p][bold]stevyweavy[/bold] wrote: Presumably the reason why no loan players have been confirmed is due to the fact that you can only have 4 loan players during the season (plus one additional youth loan). Therefore they are at present effectively trialists with us until Zola makes his mind up whether to take any / all of them for the season so as to enable him to choose alternative loan players if he so wishes.[/p][/quote]Not sure but I believe someone else had posted that season-long loans from Europe don't count towards your loan quota ?? Mickey Quinn, not so thin
  • Score: 0

12:51pm Thu 26 Jul 12

Mickey Quinn, not so thin says...

lutondown wrote:
Mickey Quinn, not so thin wrote:
abbotshornet wrote:
Any team can only play with the quality of player they can afford and attract. Back during Watford's most successful period we used each player to the best of their ability playing exciting attacking football. Back then teams beaten by our direct approach (and their advocates) said we hoofed the ball up in the air and did not play cultured football like the big clubs of the day.
Prime example Hoddle plays a 60 yard ball and it's genius, Ian Bolton plays the same accurate pass and it's a hoof!
Maybe Zola can finally dispel our largely unjustified label as hoofers at Watford, let's hope so.
Very true if you keep the ball the other side cannot score, but I would like the team to make every effort to get the ball (with enough players) forward as quickly as possible and try to score goals!
Almunia's signing may not be entirely complete so could not feature as yet. COYH
Passing football, but with pace and shots on target please.

Barca lost to Chelski because they didn't get in enough shots, too worried about keeping the ball.

The style of passing football under Vialli was also arrogant. We would win position, allow opponents to re-group, then try to pass it through the entire team.

We've got to get the balance right between keeping possession and breaking at speed when the option is there. It took Rodgers a month or two to realise this. I'm sure GZ will too.
Mickey I think you might want to look over the stats for shots on target for the two CFC v Barca games. That wasn't the issue, it was just not their night, it happens. I was glad it never, as it was an English team (well kind of!) press and pass football is hard to beat when played right, and I for one will welcome it over that ugly stuff we have played at times.
Luton - I saw the stats and watched the match. The key was they had very few shots in the second half, despite the man advantage and knowing they had to score, and despite having c80% possession. Left, right, back, forward, left etc etc they had no plan B and the shots they had tended to be from outside the box. But yes of course they were incredibly unlucky too, as were Bayern in the final.
[quote][p][bold]lutondown[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mickey Quinn, not so thin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]abbotshornet[/bold] wrote: Any team can only play with the quality of player they can afford and attract. Back during Watford's most successful period we used each player to the best of their ability playing exciting attacking football. Back then teams beaten by our direct approach (and their advocates) said we hoofed the ball up in the air and did not play cultured football like the big clubs of the day. Prime example Hoddle plays a 60 yard ball and it's genius, Ian Bolton plays the same accurate pass and it's a hoof! Maybe Zola can finally dispel our largely unjustified label as hoofers at Watford, let's hope so. Very true if you keep the ball the other side cannot score, but I would like the team to make every effort to get the ball (with enough players) forward as quickly as possible and try to score goals! Almunia's signing may not be entirely complete so could not feature as yet. COYH[/p][/quote]Passing football, but with pace and shots on target please. Barca lost to Chelski because they didn't get in enough shots, too worried about keeping the ball. The style of passing football under Vialli was also arrogant. We would win position, allow opponents to re-group, then try to pass it through the entire team. We've got to get the balance right between keeping possession and breaking at speed when the option is there. It took Rodgers a month or two to realise this. I'm sure GZ will too.[/p][/quote]Mickey I think you might want to look over the stats for shots on target for the two CFC v Barca games. That wasn't the issue, it was just not their night, it happens. I was glad it never, as it was an English team (well kind of!) press and pass football is hard to beat when played right, and I for one will welcome it over that ugly stuff we have played at times.[/p][/quote]Luton - I saw the stats and watched the match. The key was they had very few shots in the second half, despite the man advantage and knowing they had to score, and despite having c80% possession. Left, right, back, forward, left etc etc they had no plan B and the shots they had tended to be from outside the box. But yes of course they were incredibly unlucky too, as were Bayern in the final. Mickey Quinn, not so thin
  • Score: 0

1:42pm Thu 26 Jul 12

lutondown says...

Mickey Quinn, not so thin wrote:
lutondown wrote:
Mickey Quinn, not so thin wrote:
abbotshornet wrote:
Any team can only play with the quality of player they can afford and attract. Back during Watford's most successful period we used each player to the best of their ability playing exciting attacking football. Back then teams beaten by our direct approach (and their advocates) said we hoofed the ball up in the air and did not play cultured football like the big clubs of the day.
Prime example Hoddle plays a 60 yard ball and it's genius, Ian Bolton plays the same accurate pass and it's a hoof!
Maybe Zola can finally dispel our largely unjustified label as hoofers at Watford, let's hope so.
Very true if you keep the ball the other side cannot score, but I would like the team to make every effort to get the ball (with enough players) forward as quickly as possible and try to score goals!
Almunia's signing may not be entirely complete so could not feature as yet. COYH
Passing football, but with pace and shots on target please.

Barca lost to Chelski because they didn't get in enough shots, too worried about keeping the ball.

The style of passing football under Vialli was also arrogant. We would win position, allow opponents to re-group, then try to pass it through the entire team.

We've got to get the balance right between keeping possession and breaking at speed when the option is there. It took Rodgers a month or two to realise this. I'm sure GZ will too.
Mickey I think you might want to look over the stats for shots on target for the two CFC v Barca games. That wasn't the issue, it was just not their night, it happens. I was glad it never, as it was an English team (well kind of!) press and pass football is hard to beat when played right, and I for one will welcome it over that ugly stuff we have played at times.
Luton - I saw the stats and watched the match. The key was they had very few shots in the second half, despite the man advantage and knowing they had to score, and despite having c80% possession. Left, right, back, forward, left etc etc they had no plan B and the shots they had tended to be from outside the box. But yes of course they were incredibly unlucky too, as were Bayern in the final.
Missed penalty, shots cleared off line, hitting the post, incredibly unlucky...I'll concede to you, it was not having plan b that beat them and bad luck on the night counts for nought!
[quote][p][bold]Mickey Quinn, not so thin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]lutondown[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mickey Quinn, not so thin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]abbotshornet[/bold] wrote: Any team can only play with the quality of player they can afford and attract. Back during Watford's most successful period we used each player to the best of their ability playing exciting attacking football. Back then teams beaten by our direct approach (and their advocates) said we hoofed the ball up in the air and did not play cultured football like the big clubs of the day. Prime example Hoddle plays a 60 yard ball and it's genius, Ian Bolton plays the same accurate pass and it's a hoof! Maybe Zola can finally dispel our largely unjustified label as hoofers at Watford, let's hope so. Very true if you keep the ball the other side cannot score, but I would like the team to make every effort to get the ball (with enough players) forward as quickly as possible and try to score goals! Almunia's signing may not be entirely complete so could not feature as yet. COYH[/p][/quote]Passing football, but with pace and shots on target please. Barca lost to Chelski because they didn't get in enough shots, too worried about keeping the ball. The style of passing football under Vialli was also arrogant. We would win position, allow opponents to re-group, then try to pass it through the entire team. We've got to get the balance right between keeping possession and breaking at speed when the option is there. It took Rodgers a month or two to realise this. I'm sure GZ will too.[/p][/quote]Mickey I think you might want to look over the stats for shots on target for the two CFC v Barca games. That wasn't the issue, it was just not their night, it happens. I was glad it never, as it was an English team (well kind of!) press and pass football is hard to beat when played right, and I for one will welcome it over that ugly stuff we have played at times.[/p][/quote]Luton - I saw the stats and watched the match. The key was they had very few shots in the second half, despite the man advantage and knowing they had to score, and despite having c80% possession. Left, right, back, forward, left etc etc they had no plan B and the shots they had tended to be from outside the box. But yes of course they were incredibly unlucky too, as were Bayern in the final.[/p][/quote]Missed penalty, shots cleared off line, hitting the post, incredibly unlucky...I'll concede to you, it was not having plan b that beat them and bad luck on the night counts for nought! lutondown
  • Score: 0

2:49pm Thu 26 Jul 12

steveinmk says...

Is it just me, or are people looking back at Rogers' tenure with rose-tinted spectacles? The initial attempt at getting us to play more passing football was little short of disastrous - it's all very well if you have the skilful players, but we didn't. The big thing in Rogers' favour was his flexibility, and his ability to change his mind in the face of evidence (think Raziak) - I'm sure that there must have been a 'cards on the table' discussion at some point - much as some on this site might hate to admit it, I suspect Malky might have been quite influential at this period. But there was a definite change in style and tactics, and it's not obvious that this was down to Rogers. The fact that he did subsequently get Swansea playing in an attractive and effective style doesn't alter the fact that we were in serious trouble.

Dyche was the great pragmatist - not always pretty, but it worked OK once he'd learned a few lessons.

If we can bring in a few key players who will allow us to play more attractive football and get results, then I'm sure we'll all be delighted, but the 'fifteen passes across the middle of the park followed by loss of possession and a rapid counter attack' is always a danger at this level.

But let's at least start with the optimistic view that Zola might be the man to make it happen ... and the early form of Mingoia sounds encouraging.
Is it just me, or are people looking back at Rogers' tenure with rose-tinted spectacles? The initial attempt at getting us to play more passing football was little short of disastrous - it's all very well if you have the skilful players, but we didn't. The big thing in Rogers' favour was his flexibility, and his ability to change his mind in the face of evidence (think Raziak) - I'm sure that there must have been a 'cards on the table' discussion at some point - much as some on this site might hate to admit it, I suspect Malky might have been quite influential at this period. But there was a definite change in style and tactics, and it's not obvious that this was down to Rogers. The fact that he did subsequently get Swansea playing in an attractive and effective style doesn't alter the fact that we were in serious trouble. Dyche was the great pragmatist - not always pretty, but it worked OK once he'd learned a few lessons. If we can bring in a few key players who will allow us to play more attractive football and get results, then I'm sure we'll all be delighted, but the 'fifteen passes across the middle of the park followed by loss of possession and a rapid counter attack' is always a danger at this level. But let's at least start with the optimistic view that Zola might be the man to make it happen ... and the early form of Mingoia sounds encouraging. steveinmk
  • Score: 0

3:34pm Thu 26 Jul 12

stevyweavy says...

Mickey Quinn, not so thin wrote:
stevyweavy wrote:
Presumably the reason why no loan players have been confirmed is due to the fact that you can only have 4 loan players during the season (plus one additional youth loan). Therefore they are at present effectively trialists with us until Zola makes his mind up whether to take any / all of them for the season so as to enable him to choose alternative loan players if he so wishes.
Not sure but I believe someone else had posted that season-long loans from Europe don't count towards your loan quota ??
Can't see any reference to separate rules relating to loans from European clubs on the Football League website. As far as I can see it is as I said.
[quote][p][bold]Mickey Quinn, not so thin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevyweavy[/bold] wrote: Presumably the reason why no loan players have been confirmed is due to the fact that you can only have 4 loan players during the season (plus one additional youth loan). Therefore they are at present effectively trialists with us until Zola makes his mind up whether to take any / all of them for the season so as to enable him to choose alternative loan players if he so wishes.[/p][/quote]Not sure but I believe someone else had posted that season-long loans from Europe don't count towards your loan quota ??[/p][/quote]Can't see any reference to separate rules relating to loans from European clubs on the Football League website. As far as I can see it is as I said. stevyweavy
  • Score: 0

3:43pm Thu 26 Jul 12

CreteJoe says...

lutondown wrote:
smeg wrote:
lutondown wrote:
smeg wrote:
"the emphasis seemed to be on maintaining possession, rather than searching for more goals." That is my worry for this season, like Rogers before him I'm concerned with the obsession for passing for no reason other than it look s pretty. Passing and goals and I'll be happy.
I'm sure there's a nice team that will satisfy your **** for hoofball, how's about Northampton, hear they have a specialist manager.
Unbelievable post, you really are in the camp that wants this regime to fail.
One word on the trialists. I think the time Zola is taking to assess these players can only be a good thing, I compare it to last season when we had enmasse signings of wholesale tripe.
Did I say I wanted hoofball? Did I say I wanted this to fail? Read it again. As usual you have nothing to say but your desperation to start an argument means you say it anyway. If you want to discuss stuff I did actually say, go ahead.
Calm down dear, quite a stroppy retort. Me start a row? Not me sir, I'm a very happy clapper since we got an ambitious owner, a charismatic, ball playing coach, a future, money, no Bas, moved on from our ex 'holding' manager (yes, I do love a row!)
I know you liked me calling you a fridge, so I'll do it again but to show my goodwill I'll pander to you a little, fridge Freezer! so now cool down or defrost or whatever you white appliances do.
Only 50 miles to Northants and old hero Hoofer!
It’s not black and white. Regardless of the level a team plays at you will see all of them at some point try “the direct route” If it is a premier team or similar it will get called a good through ball. For the rest it’s given a derogatory term. If the team is good enough to pass the ball and score fantastic otherwise it can look like the players have no idea what to do.

In the days of GT we played some excellent long balls with pinpoint accuracy. We got up to their penalty area quickly and gave excitement.

For me the important thing is that Watford win and prosper. If it is through a beautiful game or the direct route does not bother me.
[quote][p][bold]lutondown[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smeg[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]lutondown[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smeg[/bold] wrote: "the emphasis seemed to be on maintaining possession, rather than searching for more goals." That is my worry for this season, like Rogers before him I'm concerned with the obsession for passing for no reason other than it look s pretty. Passing and goals and I'll be happy.[/p][/quote]I'm sure there's a nice team that will satisfy your **** for hoofball, how's about Northampton, hear they have a specialist manager. Unbelievable post, you really are in the camp that wants this regime to fail. One word on the trialists. I think the time Zola is taking to assess these players can only be a good thing, I compare it to last season when we had enmasse signings of wholesale tripe.[/p][/quote]Did I say I wanted hoofball? Did I say I wanted this to fail? Read it again. As usual you have nothing to say but your desperation to start an argument means you say it anyway. If you want to discuss stuff I did actually say, go ahead.[/p][/quote]Calm down dear, quite a stroppy retort. Me start a row? Not me sir, I'm a very happy clapper since we got an ambitious owner, a charismatic, ball playing coach, a future, money, no Bas, moved on from our ex 'holding' manager (yes, I do love a row!) I know you liked me calling you a fridge, so I'll do it again but to show my goodwill I'll pander to you a little, fridge Freezer! so now cool down or defrost or whatever you white appliances do. Only 50 miles to Northants and old hero Hoofer![/p][/quote]It’s not black and white. Regardless of the level a team plays at you will see all of them at some point try “the direct route” If it is a premier team or similar it will get called a good through ball. For the rest it’s given a derogatory term. If the team is good enough to pass the ball and score fantastic otherwise it can look like the players have no idea what to do. In the days of GT we played some excellent long balls with pinpoint accuracy. We got up to their penalty area quickly and gave excitement. For me the important thing is that Watford win and prosper. If it is through a beautiful game or the direct route does not bother me. CreteJoe
  • Score: 0

4:14pm Thu 26 Jul 12

lutondown says...

CreteJoe wrote:
lutondown wrote:
smeg wrote:
lutondown wrote:
smeg wrote:
"the emphasis seemed to be on maintaining possession, rather than searching for more goals." That is my worry for this season, like Rogers before him I'm concerned with the obsession for passing for no reason other than it look s pretty. Passing and goals and I'll be happy.
I'm sure there's a nice team that will satisfy your **** for hoofball, how's about Northampton, hear they have a specialist manager.
Unbelievable post, you really are in the camp that wants this regime to fail.
One word on the trialists. I think the time Zola is taking to assess these players can only be a good thing, I compare it to last season when we had enmasse signings of wholesale tripe.
Did I say I wanted hoofball? Did I say I wanted this to fail? Read it again. As usual you have nothing to say but your desperation to start an argument means you say it anyway. If you want to discuss stuff I did actually say, go ahead.
Calm down dear, quite a stroppy retort. Me start a row? Not me sir, I'm a very happy clapper since we got an ambitious owner, a charismatic, ball playing coach, a future, money, no Bas, moved on from our ex 'holding' manager (yes, I do love a row!)
I know you liked me calling you a fridge, so I'll do it again but to show my goodwill I'll pander to you a little, fridge Freezer! so now cool down or defrost or whatever you white appliances do.
Only 50 miles to Northants and old hero Hoofer!
It’s not black and white. Regardless of the level a team plays at you will see all of them at some point try “the direct route” If it is a premier team or similar it will get called a good through ball. For the rest it’s given a derogatory term. If the team is good enough to pass the ball and score fantastic otherwise it can look like the players have no idea what to do.

In the days of GT we played some excellent long balls with pinpoint accuracy. We got up to their penalty area quickly and gave excitement.

For me the important thing is that Watford win and prosper. If it is through a beautiful game or the direct route does not bother me.
Joe I agree with most of that, but the game played under GT was usually with two wide men, good long passes if need be but it was breathtaking at best and sometimes unplayable (Soton 7-1 Sundeland 8-0) to name a couple.
That style has not been emulated by Dyche or hoofers when they played the long game, Infact some of the football played under Boofers was absolutely horrible. Last seasons home game v Notts Forest was up there with the worst performances I've seen, and though Dyche improvised as the season went on I doubt he had it in his locker to really take it up another level. That is my opinion and I do understand why he is revered here for the tough job he had.
And that team that finished second to Liverpool was our best ever. Great team, great days, I'd settle for that again please!
[quote][p][bold]CreteJoe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]lutondown[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smeg[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]lutondown[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smeg[/bold] wrote: "the emphasis seemed to be on maintaining possession, rather than searching for more goals." That is my worry for this season, like Rogers before him I'm concerned with the obsession for passing for no reason other than it look s pretty. Passing and goals and I'll be happy.[/p][/quote]I'm sure there's a nice team that will satisfy your **** for hoofball, how's about Northampton, hear they have a specialist manager. Unbelievable post, you really are in the camp that wants this regime to fail. One word on the trialists. I think the time Zola is taking to assess these players can only be a good thing, I compare it to last season when we had enmasse signings of wholesale tripe.[/p][/quote]Did I say I wanted hoofball? Did I say I wanted this to fail? Read it again. As usual you have nothing to say but your desperation to start an argument means you say it anyway. If you want to discuss stuff I did actually say, go ahead.[/p][/quote]Calm down dear, quite a stroppy retort. Me start a row? Not me sir, I'm a very happy clapper since we got an ambitious owner, a charismatic, ball playing coach, a future, money, no Bas, moved on from our ex 'holding' manager (yes, I do love a row!) I know you liked me calling you a fridge, so I'll do it again but to show my goodwill I'll pander to you a little, fridge Freezer! so now cool down or defrost or whatever you white appliances do. Only 50 miles to Northants and old hero Hoofer![/p][/quote]It’s not black and white. Regardless of the level a team plays at you will see all of them at some point try “the direct route” If it is a premier team or similar it will get called a good through ball. For the rest it’s given a derogatory term. If the team is good enough to pass the ball and score fantastic otherwise it can look like the players have no idea what to do. In the days of GT we played some excellent long balls with pinpoint accuracy. We got up to their penalty area quickly and gave excitement. For me the important thing is that Watford win and prosper. If it is through a beautiful game or the direct route does not bother me.[/p][/quote]Joe I agree with most of that, but the game played under GT was usually with two wide men, good long passes if need be but it was breathtaking at best and sometimes unplayable (Soton 7-1 Sundeland 8-0) to name a couple. That style has not been emulated by Dyche or hoofers when they played the long game, Infact some of the football played under Boofers was absolutely horrible. Last seasons home game v Notts Forest was up there with the worst performances I've seen, and though Dyche improvised as the season went on I doubt he had it in his locker to really take it up another level. That is my opinion and I do understand why he is revered here for the tough job he had. And that team that finished second to Liverpool was our best ever. Great team, great days, I'd settle for that again please! lutondown
  • Score: 0

4:38am Fri 27 Jul 12

Watfordy2407 says...

Mickey Quinn, not so thin wrote:
abbotshornet wrote:
Any team can only play with the quality of player they can afford and attract. Back during Watford's most successful period we used each player to the best of their ability playing exciting attacking football. Back then teams beaten by our direct approach (and their advocates) said we hoofed the ball up in the air and did not play cultured football like the big clubs of the day.
Prime example Hoddle plays a 60 yard ball and it's genius, Ian Bolton plays the same accurate pass and it's a hoof!
Maybe Zola can finally dispel our largely unjustified label as hoofers at Watford, let's hope so.
Very true if you keep the ball the other side cannot score, but I would like the team to make every effort to get the ball (with enough players) forward as quickly as possible and try to score goals!
Almunia's signing may not be entirely complete so could not feature as yet. COYH
Passing football, but with pace and shots on target please.

Barca lost to Chelski because they didn't get in enough shots, too worried about keeping the ball.

The style of passing football under Vialli was also arrogant. We would win position, allow opponents to re-group, then try to pass it through the entire team.

We've got to get the balance right between keeping possession and breaking at speed when the option is there. It took Rodgers a month or two to realise this. I'm sure GZ will too.
Listening to the majority of comments has reminded me that Watford supporters are generally an astute group of people. Gianfranco Zola will get it right, he will make mistakes thankfully Fitz Hall will not be one of them and it looks like he is doubtful about Alumunia as we all are too.jonathan bond may prove to be our main goalkeeper.the important thing is we don't break the wage structure and create resentment amongst last seasons squad.players like Sean Murray ,Piero Mingola,etc will be critical to our progress.West Ham supporters say we have an excellent manager in Gianfranco who is determined to do well after being dumped by the Hammers hierachy.
Watford are on their way.It may take 2/3 seasons but we must be patient and believe.Enjoy the ride it's like 1977 all over again but higher tempo.
[quote][p][bold]Mickey Quinn, not so thin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]abbotshornet[/bold] wrote: Any team can only play with the quality of player they can afford and attract. Back during Watford's most successful period we used each player to the best of their ability playing exciting attacking football. Back then teams beaten by our direct approach (and their advocates) said we hoofed the ball up in the air and did not play cultured football like the big clubs of the day. Prime example Hoddle plays a 60 yard ball and it's genius, Ian Bolton plays the same accurate pass and it's a hoof! Maybe Zola can finally dispel our largely unjustified label as hoofers at Watford, let's hope so. Very true if you keep the ball the other side cannot score, but I would like the team to make every effort to get the ball (with enough players) forward as quickly as possible and try to score goals! Almunia's signing may not be entirely complete so could not feature as yet. COYH[/p][/quote]Passing football, but with pace and shots on target please. Barca lost to Chelski because they didn't get in enough shots, too worried about keeping the ball. The style of passing football under Vialli was also arrogant. We would win position, allow opponents to re-group, then try to pass it through the entire team. We've got to get the balance right between keeping possession and breaking at speed when the option is there. It took Rodgers a month or two to realise this. I'm sure GZ will too.[/p][/quote]Listening to the majority of comments has reminded me that Watford supporters are generally an astute group of people. Gianfranco Zola will get it right, he will make mistakes thankfully Fitz Hall will not be one of them and it looks like he is doubtful about Alumunia as we all are too.jonathan bond may prove to be our main goalkeeper.the important thing is we don't break the wage structure and create resentment amongst last seasons squad.players like Sean Murray ,Piero Mingola,etc will be critical to our progress.West Ham supporters say we have an excellent manager in Gianfranco who is determined to do well after being dumped by the Hammers hierachy. Watford are on their way.It may take 2/3 seasons but we must be patient and believe.Enjoy the ride it's like 1977 all over again but higher tempo. Watfordy2407
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree