After a strong start to the season, Kings Langley were brought down to earth with back-to-back defeats over the Bank Holiday window.

Saturday saw them go down to a 5-2 defeat as a free-scoring Kettering Town came from behind to win at Gaywood Park.

The game got off to a fine start for Paul Hobbs’ side as Mitchell Weiss seized on a loose ball, powered past two defenders and fired home via a deflection from 18 yards.

It was the third time this term Kings have scored inside five minutes, but was as good as it got for the hosts.

They were pegged back midway through the first half when Rhys Hoenes’ deep cross crept in at the far post.

Town would lead before the break after Aaron O’Connor made the most of hesitation between Jorell Johnson and Kyle Foster to score.

The second half got off to the worst possible start for Kings as Dean Hitchcock was sent off four minutes after the restart.

An entertaining game burst into life in the final throws of the match.

Kings drew level in the 80th minute after a pull back allowed Gareth Price to sweep home with a composed finish.

Parity lasted just 60 seconds, however, and three goals in the space of 11 minutes ensured all three points left Gaywood Park.

O’Connor got the ball rolling with his second and a quick-fire brace from Matt Stevens made it 5-2 to the visitors.

The defeat ended a run of nine games unbeaten, which stretched back to last season, for Kings and their was similar disappointment on Monday.

Ill-discipline would again rear its ugly head to leave Kings fighting an uphill task in the 1-0 loss to Chesham United.

Both dismissals arrived within the space of moments of each other in the second half and turned the tied decidedly against Kings.

Price was the first to be sent for an early bath after being shown a straight red card for a reckless challenge on the touchline.

With scarcely any time to get accustomed to playing with 10 men, Kings were down to nine after Gary Connolly’s mistimed tackle earned him a dismissal.

From that point on it was always likely to be a case of backs to the wall for Kings as they looked to take something from the game.

It looked as though they might just pull it off and Chesham struggled to create a great deal against a regimented Kings defence.

Eventually, however, the home side breached the reinforcements and grabbed the decisive goal with two minutes to play.

It was a former Kings Langley man who forced the issue as he struck the bar with an effort from five yards.

The loose ball dropped on the line and Callum Bunting forced it home from what many in Kings colours felt was an offside position.

The linesman’s flag was not forthcoming though, and United were left the celebrate the late winner.

The defeats have taken the steam out of a strong start to the season for Kings and they have dropped to 15th in the table.

Hobbs will hope his side can lift themselves in time for the Haverhill Borough, who they play in the FA Cup qualifying round one tomorrow, before they return to league action against Farnborough a week later.