Davide Faraoni and Lewis McGugan give Watford FA Cup replay win over Bristol City

Beppe Sannino congratulates Davide Faraoni. Picture: Action Images

Beppe Sannino congratulates Davide Faraoni. Picture: Action Images

First published in Watford FC News
Last updated
by , Group Sports Editor

The margin of victory should have been more convincing but Watford will travel to the winners of tomorrow night’s replay between Manchester City and Blackburn Rovers in the FA Cup fourth round after beating Bristol City 2-0 in their own replay at Vicarage Road tonight.

The Robins had the better of what few good chances there were in the first half but it was the Hornets who led at the break when Davide Faraoni was credited with the goal following a corner, even though the last touch came off defender Karleigh Osborne.

Lewis McGugan added the crucial second goal after the break and then a combination of good goalkeeping and poor finishing prevented the Hornets from providing further gloss on the scoreline. But there was to be another bonus for the home side - aside from recording only their second win in 15 league and cup outings - in that they were able to welcome back second-half substitute Almen Abdi, who had been sidelined since the end of August.

Beppe Sannino shuffled his pack, making seven changes to the team which lost at home to Reading opn Saturday but arguably the most heartening news was on the bench with the inclusion of Abdi in a match-day 18 for the first time in more than four months.

The changes to the team saw Jonathan Bond, Fitz Hall, Cristian Battocchio and Iriney all come in, Faraoni and Fernando Forestieri make their first starts following their respective injury problems and Ikechi Anya was also back after his lay-off and went straight into the starting XI.

Hector Bellerin and Alexander Merkel were ineligible, with the latter also suspended, while Manuel Almunia, Lloyd Doyley, Sean Murray, Daniel Pudil and Diego Fabbrini dropped to the bench.

Steve Cotterill made three changes to the side which drew 1-1 at Bradford City last time out with Liam Fontaine, Brendan Moloney and Joe Bryan replacing Derrick Williams, Greg Cunningham and Scott Wagstaff, all of whom were among the substitutes.

The Hornets, who were attacking the Rookery in the first half, lined up slightly unexpectedly at the back with Gabriele Angella on the right of the defensive trio and Hall in the middle.

But the hosts looked far from convincing at the back in the second minute when they were fortunate not to go behind as Jay Emmanuel-Thomas slid a pass through to Sean Baldock to put him one-on-one with Bond but the Hornets keeper stood up well, forcing the Robins skipper to make a decision and in the end he fired straight at the England Under-21 international.

The home side gradually began to settle though, and had their first effort in the seventh minute when Lewis McGugan fired straight at Elliot Parish from around 20 yards out.

The Hornets threatened again when McGugan advanced before slipping in Forestieri, who was preparing to pull the trigger when Aiden Flint superbly nicked the ball away from him and the Hornets forward went to ground very optimistically seeking a penalty.

City were the more composed side in the opening 15 minutes though, and their next opening came when Baldock flicked a header over the top from around eight yards out after Flint, who had stayed upfield following a free-kick, headed a Bryan delivery from the left back into the heart of the area.

Watford had a promising situation when Battocchio lifted the ball out to Forestieri on the right side of the penalty area and his great touch took him away from a defender before laying it inside. McGugan then dummied for Deeney, which put him off slightly, but he still managed to trap the ball and tried to play in Anya to his left but he was unable to control.

Anya then had a shot blocked but this was part of a reasonable spell for the home side which continued with two corners being won.

The first saw Deeney get a near-post flick on a delivery from the right which went all the way across the face of goal but the second saw the Hornets take the lead, albeit in rather confusing circumstances.

The ball was touched on when it was played in from the right and it travelled to beyond the far post where Faraoni scuffed it back goalwards and, after some deliberation, it was deemed that Osborne had only succeeded in hitting the ball into his own as he tried to clear. However, the Italian was still credited with the goal.

Little of attacking note then happened until shortly before the interval when there was a flurry of action in the final two minutes of the half.

First Bond had to drop sharply to his right to hold onto a well-struck Emmanuel-Thomas effort before the play switched to the other end where Forestieri saw a shot from the left side of the area deflected across the face of goal and behind.

But the best chance was to fall to City in stoppage time when they broke and the galloping Osborne managed to squeeze in a low centre from the right but Ekstrand did superbly to get across Bobby Reid and force him to lift the ball over the top from close range.

The visitors were quickly out of the traps at the start of the second half and within the first 30 seconds, a Marlon Pack drive from 25 yards was destined for the bottom corner until Bond got down well to push it behind.

In the 49th minute, Angella showed what an accomplished footballer he is when, after the ball had been worked from left to right across halfway, the defender played a nice give-and-go with Faraoni off the right flank and, as the pitched opened up in front of him, he advanced before curling a left-footed shot narrowly wide from 20 yards.

Watford were in again moments later when Anya got round the back of the defence and laid the ball across and it broke for Faraoni who, under pressure, lifted his shot over the target.

The Hornets needed the comfort of a second goal and they had a set-piece opportunity to get one in the 63rd minute when they were awarded a free-kick 25 yards out. McGugan got his strike around the wall and on target but Elliot Parish was always behind it.

With his next opportunity barely a minute later though, the Hornets midfielder made no mistake.

After Deeney had been outnumbered on the left side of the area, the ball broke for McGugan who drove purposefully forward before drilling a left-footed shot past Parish to make it 2-0.

The visitors might have caused the visitors some discomfort when they awarded a free-kick 20 yards out after Emmanuel-Thomas was tripped by Battocchio 20 yards out, but the striker could only hit the top of the wall with his set piece.

Watford immediately broke with McGugan leading the charge downfield, he slipped in Anya to his left but he chose to go it alone with Forestieri screaming for the ball inside him and the Scottish international’s left-foot shot was pushed into the side netting by Parish.

That was a good save but even better was to follow moments later when he somehow foiled Deeney from close range when the striker looked odds-on to score after being picked out by Forestieri.

McGugan also dragged a reasonable opening wide but that was his last meaningful involvement before he was replaced in the 75th minute and those of a yellow affiliation inside Vicarage Road stood as one to applaud the return of Abdi.

Deeney was denied by Parish in more routine fashion before Angella was booked for a foul and then Cotterill made a triple change, bringing on Wagstaff, Cunningham and Wes Burns for Bryan, Baldock and Moloney.

But Watford really should have made the tie absolutely safe when Abdi released Battocchio ahead of him and he slid in Forestieri, who contrived to drag his finish wide of the near post from ten yards with only the keeper to beat.

After Wagstaff had been booked for throwing the ball away, Anya was replaced by Pudil but the Hornets saw out the closing stages to secure their fourth round place.

Watford: Bond; Angella, Hall, Ekstrand; Faraoni, Battocchio, Iriney, McGugan (Abdi 75), Anya (Pudil 86); Forestieri, Deeney. Not used: Almunia, Doyley, Murray, Fabbrini, Nosworthy.

Bristol City: Parish; Osborne, Flint, Fontaine; Moloneym (Wagstaff 78), Elliott, Reid, Pack, Bryan (Cunningham 78); Emmanuel-Thomas, Baldock (Burns 78). Not used: Fielding, Williams, Carey, Wynter.

Bookings: Angella for a foul (78); Wagstaff for dissent (84).

Attendance: 7,302 (1,129 away).

Referee: Darren Drysdale.

Comments (20)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:27pm Tue 14 Jan 14

GarstonHorn says...

Pretty confortable but would like to go back to a 4-3-3 like 2nd half on Saturday. 3 at the back restricts us too much going forward
Pretty confortable but would like to go back to a 4-3-3 like 2nd half on Saturday. 3 at the back restricts us too much going forward GarstonHorn
  • Score: -3

10:45pm Tue 14 Jan 14

cliff46 says...

Thanks for the report wobbly, as I have hornet player I wasn't able to listen to the game I have paid for . All I got for my money was a totally frustrating evening.
Thanks for the report wobbly, as I have hornet player I wasn't able to listen to the game I have paid for . All I got for my money was a totally frustrating evening. cliff46
  • Score: 3

11:06pm Tue 14 Jan 14

younghornet says...

Guess who's back, back again, Abdi's back, tell a friend
Guess who's back, back again, Abdi's back, tell a friend younghornet
  • Score: 9

11:15pm Tue 14 Jan 14

dunstablehorn says...

1st 10 mins we were not good at all, but much better after that. Iriney was fantastic and should be given more of a chance as dcm, threw himself at shots, maintained possession and tackled/intercepted most things that came near him. Fitz played well, as did rest of defence. Only thing we're lacking is a strike force who are more confident in front of goal, some poor misses again tonight. Hopefully they'll get it back soon. Great to have almen back, looked good, great reception when he came on!
1st 10 mins we were not good at all, but much better after that. Iriney was fantastic and should be given more of a chance as dcm, threw himself at shots, maintained possession and tackled/intercepted most things that came near him. Fitz played well, as did rest of defence. Only thing we're lacking is a strike force who are more confident in front of goal, some poor misses again tonight. Hopefully they'll get it back soon. Great to have almen back, looked good, great reception when he came on! dunstablehorn
  • Score: 10

11:38pm Tue 14 Jan 14

Scullion says...

Yes we won. But oh dear it wasn't good. A talented squad such as this should be much more together. Passing was astray and not enough join up as a team. Great to see Almen back. He oozes class and confidence. Deeeny worked his socks off as did Fernando but we need a striker. Let's hope Ranegie isn't Iwelhmo in disguise. BUT the thing that worries me are the antics of Baldy Bepe on the sideline. Some may say its enthusiasm but for me if I were a player it's simply off putting to have a manager jumping up and down and screaming at me all the time. There was one moment when I swear he was going to take the throw in himself. He needs to calm down. And sit down....if he has to try and direct every player all the time he ain't doing his job on training pitch. It's either that or have a heart attack. I found it embarrassing and worrying. Jury's out but I wish I had better feelings for this new man than I'm having now. He worries me!
Yes we won. But oh dear it wasn't good. A talented squad such as this should be much more together. Passing was astray and not enough join up as a team. Great to see Almen back. He oozes class and confidence. Deeeny worked his socks off as did Fernando but we need a striker. Let's hope Ranegie isn't Iwelhmo in disguise. BUT the thing that worries me are the antics of Baldy Bepe on the sideline. Some may say its enthusiasm but for me if I were a player it's simply off putting to have a manager jumping up and down and screaming at me all the time. There was one moment when I swear he was going to take the throw in himself. He needs to calm down. And sit down....if he has to try and direct every player all the time he ain't doing his job on training pitch. It's either that or have a heart attack. I found it embarrassing and worrying. Jury's out but I wish I had better feelings for this new man than I'm having now. He worries me! Scullion
  • Score: -29

12:28am Wed 15 Jan 14

matey_from_brighton says...

dunstablehorn wrote:
1st 10 mins we were not good at all, but much better after that. Iriney was fantastic and should be given more of a chance as dcm, threw himself at shots, maintained possession and tackled/intercepted most things that came near him. Fitz played well, as did rest of defence. Only thing we're lacking is a strike force who are more confident in front of goal, some poor misses again tonight. Hopefully they'll get it back soon. Great to have almen back, looked good, great reception when he came on!
Agree - Iriney was MOM tonight, got his foot in consistently even at risk of injury and broke up their play all night. McGugan gets a lot of stick, but he was involved in most of our better attacks tonight and once again was the only one to hit the target. Good link up play from Forestieri and Deeney but the barn door is still undamaged, doubt Man City will be too nervous if they scrape through tomorrow. Not sure if want to go there or not really?
[quote][p][bold]dunstablehorn[/bold] wrote: 1st 10 mins we were not good at all, but much better after that. Iriney was fantastic and should be given more of a chance as dcm, threw himself at shots, maintained possession and tackled/intercepted most things that came near him. Fitz played well, as did rest of defence. Only thing we're lacking is a strike force who are more confident in front of goal, some poor misses again tonight. Hopefully they'll get it back soon. Great to have almen back, looked good, great reception when he came on![/p][/quote]Agree - Iriney was MOM tonight, got his foot in consistently even at risk of injury and broke up their play all night. McGugan gets a lot of stick, but he was involved in most of our better attacks tonight and once again was the only one to hit the target. Good link up play from Forestieri and Deeney but the barn door is still undamaged, doubt Man City will be too nervous if they scrape through tomorrow. Not sure if want to go there or not really? matey_from_brighton
  • Score: 6

12:31am Wed 15 Jan 14

berkshire orn says...

I like Beppe at least he shows passion and will to win give him a chance and surport the manager ONWARDS AND UPWARDS Bring on city . Manchester here we come uuuuuuu horns
I like Beppe at least he shows passion and will to win give him a chance and surport the manager ONWARDS AND UPWARDS Bring on city . Manchester here we come uuuuuuu horns berkshire orn
  • Score: 11

12:41am Wed 15 Jan 14

WessexLad says...

The huge disappopintment, despite "his" goal was Faraoni; both he and Anya played far tyoo deep
The huge disappopintment, despite "his" goal was Faraoni; both he and Anya played far tyoo deep WessexLad
  • Score: 0

3:29am Wed 15 Jan 14

jaemae2 says...

matey_from_brighton wrote:
dunstablehorn wrote:
1st 10 mins we were not good at all, but much better after that. Iriney was fantastic and should be given more of a chance as dcm, threw himself at shots, maintained possession and tackled/intercepted most things that came near him. Fitz played well, as did rest of defence. Only thing we're lacking is a strike force who are more confident in front of goal, some poor misses again tonight. Hopefully they'll get it back soon. Great to have almen back, looked good, great reception when he came on!
Agree - Iriney was MOM tonight, got his foot in consistently even at risk of injury and broke up their play all night. McGugan gets a lot of stick, but he was involved in most of our better attacks tonight and once again was the only one to hit the target. Good link up play from Forestieri and Deeney but the barn door is still undamaged, doubt Man City will be too nervous if they scrape through tomorrow. Not sure if want to go there or not really?
He's been involved in most of the better attack all year and has more goals than most of the strikers. It's not his fault some people don't see he one of the better players on the team game in and out.
[quote][p][bold]matey_from_brighton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]dunstablehorn[/bold] wrote: 1st 10 mins we were not good at all, but much better after that. Iriney was fantastic and should be given more of a chance as dcm, threw himself at shots, maintained possession and tackled/intercepted most things that came near him. Fitz played well, as did rest of defence. Only thing we're lacking is a strike force who are more confident in front of goal, some poor misses again tonight. Hopefully they'll get it back soon. Great to have almen back, looked good, great reception when he came on![/p][/quote]Agree - Iriney was MOM tonight, got his foot in consistently even at risk of injury and broke up their play all night. McGugan gets a lot of stick, but he was involved in most of our better attacks tonight and once again was the only one to hit the target. Good link up play from Forestieri and Deeney but the barn door is still undamaged, doubt Man City will be too nervous if they scrape through tomorrow. Not sure if want to go there or not really?[/p][/quote]He's been involved in most of the better attack all year and has more goals than most of the strikers. It's not his fault some people don't see he one of the better players on the team game in and out. jaemae2
  • Score: 10

5:11am Wed 15 Jan 14

SAHornet says...

cliff46 wrote:
Thanks for the report wobbly, as I have hornet player I wasn't able to listen to the game I have paid for . All I got for my money was a totally frustrating evening.
Yep, quite agree with that. Wonder if we'll get an explanation or some money back. Not club's fault tho.
[quote][p][bold]cliff46[/bold] wrote: Thanks for the report wobbly, as I have hornet player I wasn't able to listen to the game I have paid for . All I got for my money was a totally frustrating evening.[/p][/quote]Yep, quite agree with that. Wonder if we'll get an explanation or some money back. Not club's fault tho. SAHornet
  • Score: 4

7:09am Wed 15 Jan 14

Cuetip says...

dunstablehorn wrote:
1st 10 mins we were not good at all, but much better after that. Iriney was fantastic and should be given more of a chance as dcm, threw himself at shots, maintained possession and tackled/intercepted most things that came near him. Fitz played well, as did rest of defence. Only thing we're lacking is a strike force who are more confident in front of goal, some poor misses again tonight. Hopefully they'll get it back soon. Great to have almen back, looked good, great reception when he came on!
Thanks for the summary. Perhaps the strike force need to play a bit of darts to get more focused.
[quote][p][bold]dunstablehorn[/bold] wrote: 1st 10 mins we were not good at all, but much better after that. Iriney was fantastic and should be given more of a chance as dcm, threw himself at shots, maintained possession and tackled/intercepted most things that came near him. Fitz played well, as did rest of defence. Only thing we're lacking is a strike force who are more confident in front of goal, some poor misses again tonight. Hopefully they'll get it back soon. Great to have almen back, looked good, great reception when he came on![/p][/quote]Thanks for the summary. Perhaps the strike force need to play a bit of darts to get more focused. Cuetip
  • Score: -5

7:42am Wed 15 Jan 14

@julesmckenzie says...

Wobby. This report seems very negative considering we scored 2 goals and didnt concede any (albeit against a lesser side). This game was a midweek run out for players returning from injury and they didnt do a West Ham!

Unfortunately your writing style echoes some of the more pessimistic views posted hereabouts. Maybe if you were more focused on positives the readers would in time follow suit? (Local paper SUPPORTS local team).

As for Sannino being too passionate, perhaps he too is trying to forward that sentiment to a team to which passion sometimes seems devoid?

I applaud the result and as we keep harping on about football being a results driven game, maybe we all should. After all isnt that the reason for Zolas departure?

A bad performance that still wins a game is the sign of a good team or at least a team that is improving no matter who the opposition is.

You keep shouting and kicking every ball Beppe. Maybe the players will follow your example!
Wobby. This report seems very negative considering we scored 2 goals and didnt concede any (albeit against a lesser side). This game was a midweek run out for players returning from injury and they didnt do a West Ham! Unfortunately your writing style echoes some of the more pessimistic views posted hereabouts. Maybe if you were more focused on positives the readers would in time follow suit? (Local paper SUPPORTS local team). As for Sannino being too passionate, perhaps he too is trying to forward that sentiment to a team to which passion sometimes seems devoid? I applaud the result and as we keep harping on about football being a results driven game, maybe we all should. After all isnt that the reason for Zolas departure? A bad performance that still wins a game is the sign of a good team or at least a team that is improving no matter who the opposition is. You keep shouting and kicking every ball Beppe. Maybe the players will follow your example! @julesmckenzie
  • Score: 26

7:57am Wed 15 Jan 14

ashdownforestieri says...

SAHornet wrote:
cliff46 wrote:
Thanks for the report wobbly, as I have hornet player I wasn't able to listen to the game I have paid for . All I got for my money was a totally frustrating evening.
Yep, quite agree with that. Wonder if we'll get an explanation or some money back. Not club's fault tho.
i had to listen on a Bristol station and they lost the line for the start of the second half. They said it was some sort of problem with people on Apple; which I am. You could hear the SCR commentary in the first half going on in the background. I would have thought whoever runs Hornets Player could have put an explanation on the website - i was messing about uninstalling and installing flash player.
[quote][p][bold]SAHornet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]cliff46[/bold] wrote: Thanks for the report wobbly, as I have hornet player I wasn't able to listen to the game I have paid for . All I got for my money was a totally frustrating evening.[/p][/quote]Yep, quite agree with that. Wonder if we'll get an explanation or some money back. Not club's fault tho.[/p][/quote]i had to listen on a Bristol station and they lost the line for the start of the second half. They said it was some sort of problem with people on Apple; which I am. You could hear the SCR commentary in the first half going on in the background. I would have thought whoever runs Hornets Player could have put an explanation on the website - i was messing about uninstalling and installing flash player. ashdownforestieri
  • Score: 2

8:59am Wed 15 Jan 14

Man from Pinner says...

First 20 minutes or so it looked like players were getting to know each other then Iriney got into the pace of the game and took control of midfield. I though Bottochio did OK. With Abdi on way back and Merkel soon to be available it will be interesting to see who the middle three will be. Maybe McGugan's place could be in doubt. Certainly for me the holding role should go to Iriney.
Anya disappointed again last night; played deep but perhaps playing to instructions? We need his pace as an outlet from defence.
Hall was outstanding; not only commanding but organised the defense
well. For once high balls into our box were properly dealt with.
Finally a word about Jonathan Bond; kept us in the game with a couple of very good stops and looked comfortable.
All in all a solid performance but clearly a different style to GZ. Looks like we will need Ranegie up front if we are to continue hitting long balls out of defence.
First 20 minutes or so it looked like players were getting to know each other then Iriney got into the pace of the game and took control of midfield. I though Bottochio did OK. With Abdi on way back and Merkel soon to be available it will be interesting to see who the middle three will be. Maybe McGugan's place could be in doubt. Certainly for me the holding role should go to Iriney. Anya disappointed again last night; played deep but perhaps playing to instructions? We need his pace as an outlet from defence. Hall was outstanding; not only commanding but organised the defense well. For once high balls into our box were properly dealt with. Finally a word about Jonathan Bond; kept us in the game with a couple of very good stops and looked comfortable. All in all a solid performance but clearly a different style to GZ. Looks like we will need Ranegie up front if we are to continue hitting long balls out of defence. Man from Pinner
  • Score: 9

9:30am Wed 15 Jan 14

MJ1 says...

Scullion wrote:
Yes we won. But oh dear it wasn't good. A talented squad such as this should be much more together. Passing was astray and not enough join up as a team. Great to see Almen back. He oozes class and confidence. Deeeny worked his socks off as did Fernando but we need a striker. Let's hope Ranegie isn't Iwelhmo in disguise. BUT the thing that worries me are the antics of Baldy Bepe on the sideline. Some may say its enthusiasm but for me if I were a player it's simply off putting to have a manager jumping up and down and screaming at me all the time. There was one moment when I swear he was going to take the throw in himself. He needs to calm down. And sit down....if he has to try and direct every player all the time he ain't doing his job on training pitch. It's either that or have a heart attack. I found it embarrassing and worrying. Jury's out but I wish I had better feelings for this new man than I'm having now. He worries me!
ERR.. I have I missed something here. Are not Deeney and Forestieri strikers?
I understand how you could be mistaken as both once again last night squandered begging oportunities to score. The simple fact is that the team isn't playing well and the strikers epitomise our problems. Bristol City were the better side in the 1st half despite being a division below. They were unlucky and we were lucky. It could have been so different. An FA Cup replay win, welcome as it is, does not disguise the fact that we are in relegation form based on the past 3 months As for Soninio the jury is out but I also wonder why he spends the match running, gesturing and shouting from his area when most of the players can have little idea of what he is saying.It's so farcical you couldn't make it up!
[quote][p][bold]Scullion[/bold] wrote: Yes we won. But oh dear it wasn't good. A talented squad such as this should be much more together. Passing was astray and not enough join up as a team. Great to see Almen back. He oozes class and confidence. Deeeny worked his socks off as did Fernando but we need a striker. Let's hope Ranegie isn't Iwelhmo in disguise. BUT the thing that worries me are the antics of Baldy Bepe on the sideline. Some may say its enthusiasm but for me if I were a player it's simply off putting to have a manager jumping up and down and screaming at me all the time. There was one moment when I swear he was going to take the throw in himself. He needs to calm down. And sit down....if he has to try and direct every player all the time he ain't doing his job on training pitch. It's either that or have a heart attack. I found it embarrassing and worrying. Jury's out but I wish I had better feelings for this new man than I'm having now. He worries me![/p][/quote]ERR.. I have I missed something here. Are not Deeney and Forestieri strikers? I understand how you could be mistaken as both once again last night squandered begging oportunities to score. The simple fact is that the team isn't playing well and the strikers epitomise our problems. Bristol City were the better side in the 1st half despite being a division below. They were unlucky and we were lucky. It could have been so different. An FA Cup replay win, welcome as it is, does not disguise the fact that we are in relegation form based on the past 3 months As for Soninio the jury is out but I also wonder why he spends the match running, gesturing and shouting from his area when most of the players can have little idea of what he is saying.It's so farcical you couldn't make it up! MJ1
  • Score: -13

10:21am Wed 15 Jan 14

Stoney77 says...

MJ1 wrote:
Scullion wrote:
Yes we won. But oh dear it wasn't good. A talented squad such as this should be much more together. Passing was astray and not enough join up as a team. Great to see Almen back. He oozes class and confidence. Deeeny worked his socks off as did Fernando but we need a striker. Let's hope Ranegie isn't Iwelhmo in disguise. BUT the thing that worries me are the antics of Baldy Bepe on the sideline. Some may say its enthusiasm but for me if I were a player it's simply off putting to have a manager jumping up and down and screaming at me all the time. There was one moment when I swear he was going to take the throw in himself. He needs to calm down. And sit down....if he has to try and direct every player all the time he ain't doing his job on training pitch. It's either that or have a heart attack. I found it embarrassing and worrying. Jury's out but I wish I had better feelings for this new man than I'm having now. He worries me!
ERR.. I have I missed something here. Are not Deeney and Forestieri strikers?
I understand how you could be mistaken as both once again last night squandered begging oportunities to score. The simple fact is that the team isn't playing well and the strikers epitomise our problems. Bristol City were the better side in the 1st half despite being a division below. They were unlucky and we were lucky. It could have been so different. An FA Cup replay win, welcome as it is, does not disguise the fact that we are in relegation form based on the past 3 months As for Soninio the jury is out but I also wonder why he spends the match running, gesturing and shouting from his area when most of the players can have little idea of what he is saying.It's so farcical you couldn't make it up!
What would you rather.... A wolly with a brolly?
[quote][p][bold]MJ1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Scullion[/bold] wrote: Yes we won. But oh dear it wasn't good. A talented squad such as this should be much more together. Passing was astray and not enough join up as a team. Great to see Almen back. He oozes class and confidence. Deeeny worked his socks off as did Fernando but we need a striker. Let's hope Ranegie isn't Iwelhmo in disguise. BUT the thing that worries me are the antics of Baldy Bepe on the sideline. Some may say its enthusiasm but for me if I were a player it's simply off putting to have a manager jumping up and down and screaming at me all the time. There was one moment when I swear he was going to take the throw in himself. He needs to calm down. And sit down....if he has to try and direct every player all the time he ain't doing his job on training pitch. It's either that or have a heart attack. I found it embarrassing and worrying. Jury's out but I wish I had better feelings for this new man than I'm having now. He worries me![/p][/quote]ERR.. I have I missed something here. Are not Deeney and Forestieri strikers? I understand how you could be mistaken as both once again last night squandered begging oportunities to score. The simple fact is that the team isn't playing well and the strikers epitomise our problems. Bristol City were the better side in the 1st half despite being a division below. They were unlucky and we were lucky. It could have been so different. An FA Cup replay win, welcome as it is, does not disguise the fact that we are in relegation form based on the past 3 months As for Soninio the jury is out but I also wonder why he spends the match running, gesturing and shouting from his area when most of the players can have little idea of what he is saying.It's so farcical you couldn't make it up![/p][/quote]What would you rather.... A wolly with a brolly? Stoney77
  • Score: 3

11:04am Wed 15 Jan 14

cliff46 says...

ashdownforestieri wrote:
SAHornet wrote:
cliff46 wrote:
Thanks for the report wobbly, as I have hornet player I wasn't able to listen to the game I have paid for . All I got for my money was a totally frustrating evening.
Yep, quite agree with that. Wonder if we'll get an explanation or some money back. Not club's fault tho.
i had to listen on a Bristol station and they lost the line for the start of the second half. They said it was some sort of problem with people on Apple; which I am. You could hear the SCR commentary in the first half going on in the background. I would have thought whoever runs Hornets Player could have put an explanation on the website - i was messing about uninstalling and installing flash player.
I logged in and off every now and then so see if there was any commentary, I tried to get into Bristol player to see if I could hear anything from there and then the screen told me that I had been excluded from the sites because I had exceeded the number of log ins allowed.
I have no idea what the limit is but they replied to my complaint this morning to say say that once the limit is exceeded the facility is withdrawn for two hours. So even if they had solved the technical problem I wouldn't have been able to hear it.
If their service had been working properly I would only have had to log in once. I just hope they sort it out for Saturday.
[quote][p][bold]ashdownforestieri[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SAHornet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]cliff46[/bold] wrote: Thanks for the report wobbly, as I have hornet player I wasn't able to listen to the game I have paid for . All I got for my money was a totally frustrating evening.[/p][/quote]Yep, quite agree with that. Wonder if we'll get an explanation or some money back. Not club's fault tho.[/p][/quote]i had to listen on a Bristol station and they lost the line for the start of the second half. They said it was some sort of problem with people on Apple; which I am. You could hear the SCR commentary in the first half going on in the background. I would have thought whoever runs Hornets Player could have put an explanation on the website - i was messing about uninstalling and installing flash player.[/p][/quote]I logged in and off every now and then so see if there was any commentary, I tried to get into Bristol player to see if I could hear anything from there and then the screen told me that I had been excluded from the sites because I had exceeded the number of log ins allowed. I have no idea what the limit is but they replied to my complaint this morning to say say that once the limit is exceeded the facility is withdrawn for two hours. So even if they had solved the technical problem I wouldn't have been able to hear it. If their service had been working properly I would only have had to log in once. I just hope they sort it out for Saturday. cliff46
  • Score: 2

12:33pm Wed 15 Jan 14

Drewoneone says...

SAHornet wrote:
cliff46 wrote:
Thanks for the report wobbly, as I have hornet player I wasn't able to listen to the game I have paid for . All I got for my money was a totally frustrating evening.
Yep, quite agree with that. Wonder if we'll get an explanation or some money back. Not club's fault tho.
Glad I went in that case. I normally rely on Hornet Player to hear the commentaries as I live over 100 miles away (not quite SA though!) - but HP is erratic and we have had a refund recently because of the poor service. Not Club's fault as you say but they need to exert some influence on the provider and make sure it is far more reliable.
[quote][p][bold]SAHornet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]cliff46[/bold] wrote: Thanks for the report wobbly, as I have hornet player I wasn't able to listen to the game I have paid for . All I got for my money was a totally frustrating evening.[/p][/quote]Yep, quite agree with that. Wonder if we'll get an explanation or some money back. Not club's fault tho.[/p][/quote]Glad I went in that case. I normally rely on Hornet Player to hear the commentaries as I live over 100 miles away (not quite SA though!) - but HP is erratic and we have had a refund recently because of the poor service. Not Club's fault as you say but they need to exert some influence on the provider and make sure it is far more reliable. Drewoneone
  • Score: -2

2:48pm Wed 15 Jan 14

Goldenboy1960 says...

Stoney77 wrote:
MJ1 wrote:
Scullion wrote:
Yes we won. But oh dear it wasn't good. A talented squad such as this should be much more together. Passing was astray and not enough join up as a team. Great to see Almen back. He oozes class and confidence. Deeeny worked his socks off as did Fernando but we need a striker. Let's hope Ranegie isn't Iwelhmo in disguise. BUT the thing that worries me are the antics of Baldy Bepe on the sideline. Some may say its enthusiasm but for me if I were a player it's simply off putting to have a manager jumping up and down and screaming at me all the time. There was one moment when I swear he was going to take the throw in himself. He needs to calm down. And sit down....if he has to try and direct every player all the time he ain't doing his job on training pitch. It's either that or have a heart attack. I found it embarrassing and worrying. Jury's out but I wish I had better feelings for this new man than I'm having now. He worries me!
ERR.. I have I missed something here. Are not Deeney and Forestieri strikers?
I understand how you could be mistaken as both once again last night squandered begging oportunities to score. The simple fact is that the team isn't playing well and the strikers epitomise our problems. Bristol City were the better side in the 1st half despite being a division below. They were unlucky and we were lucky. It could have been so different. An FA Cup replay win, welcome as it is, does not disguise the fact that we are in relegation form based on the past 3 months As for Soninio the jury is out but I also wonder why he spends the match running, gesturing and shouting from his area when most of the players can have little idea of what he is saying.It's so farcical you couldn't make it up!
What would you rather.... A wolly with a brolly?
I think this is the most accurate of the views from Stoney77 of course respecting everyones opinion as we all see it differently. For my part the team are not functioning as a team and I agree that Bristol City were the better team in the first half. My points are:

In my opinion we are not out of the traps fast enough. Reading won the game on Saturday because they started quickly and strongly. Bristol the same but fortunately they didn't take their chances. A Championship side might have though, and then we would have been staring down the barrel again.

I was hoping for us to start at high intensity and quality but sadly that never happened so a bit disappointed there.

I believe the constant changes to the team caused by poor results have disrupted the rhythm of the team and we need to get back some stability.

The team didn't look to me a 'Team' and there were so many miss placed passes because people moved either too early or too late. Timing is everything and players were not reading each others movement.

Better in the 2nd half though when a few things come together. Individuals are not where they were last season. FF is now getting into the box more and in goalscoring areas, but is snatching at the ball rather than being composed. Too anxious to do well?

I agree with the back 3 who did very well last night. Be good to keep it the same players now to provide continuity. The ball needs to be moved more quickly and forward if possible (not bashing it). For me Iriney needs to move the ball much more quickly. He does leave his foot in at times though and he always looks like he could be sent off.

Decision making is not right in and out of possession. An example is when Abdi (class act) played a great ball through and we had a 3/4 v 2 situation and FF (I think it was) chose the wrong option when Deeney was free on the other side. Also our decisions to dive in to tackles out of possession needs work and improvement.

But positives are that the players are trying their hearts out and want to succeed. Abdi has that little bit of class and could help us turn it round if he can stay fit now. Who plays with him is a puzzle though to get the right balance. Last season Abdi, Chalobah and Hogg had a great balance between them.

But we need to concentrate on one game at a time and we need to be mindful that we need 54 points. The current form will see us get relegated, and yes it can happen. I think this season has been a learning curve for everyone, especially in the expectation levels that went right through the ceiling. Perhaps with hard work and a positive and hard working team we can gradually get a good run going and then see where that takes us if we get past 54 points.
[quote][p][bold]Stoney77[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MJ1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Scullion[/bold] wrote: Yes we won. But oh dear it wasn't good. A talented squad such as this should be much more together. Passing was astray and not enough join up as a team. Great to see Almen back. He oozes class and confidence. Deeeny worked his socks off as did Fernando but we need a striker. Let's hope Ranegie isn't Iwelhmo in disguise. BUT the thing that worries me are the antics of Baldy Bepe on the sideline. Some may say its enthusiasm but for me if I were a player it's simply off putting to have a manager jumping up and down and screaming at me all the time. There was one moment when I swear he was going to take the throw in himself. He needs to calm down. And sit down....if he has to try and direct every player all the time he ain't doing his job on training pitch. It's either that or have a heart attack. I found it embarrassing and worrying. Jury's out but I wish I had better feelings for this new man than I'm having now. He worries me![/p][/quote]ERR.. I have I missed something here. Are not Deeney and Forestieri strikers? I understand how you could be mistaken as both once again last night squandered begging oportunities to score. The simple fact is that the team isn't playing well and the strikers epitomise our problems. Bristol City were the better side in the 1st half despite being a division below. They were unlucky and we were lucky. It could have been so different. An FA Cup replay win, welcome as it is, does not disguise the fact that we are in relegation form based on the past 3 months As for Soninio the jury is out but I also wonder why he spends the match running, gesturing and shouting from his area when most of the players can have little idea of what he is saying.It's so farcical you couldn't make it up![/p][/quote]What would you rather.... A wolly with a brolly?[/p][/quote]I think this is the most accurate of the views from Stoney77 of course respecting everyones opinion as we all see it differently. For my part the team are not functioning as a team and I agree that Bristol City were the better team in the first half. My points are: In my opinion we are not out of the traps fast enough. Reading won the game on Saturday because they started quickly and strongly. Bristol the same but fortunately they didn't take their chances. A Championship side might have though, and then we would have been staring down the barrel again. I was hoping for us to start at high intensity and quality but sadly that never happened so a bit disappointed there. I believe the constant changes to the team caused by poor results have disrupted the rhythm of the team and we need to get back some stability. The team didn't look to me a 'Team' and there were so many miss placed passes because people moved either too early or too late. Timing is everything and players were not reading each others movement. Better in the 2nd half though when a few things come together. Individuals are not where they were last season. FF is now getting into the box more and in goalscoring areas, but is snatching at the ball rather than being composed. Too anxious to do well? I agree with the back 3 who did very well last night. Be good to keep it the same players now to provide continuity. The ball needs to be moved more quickly and forward if possible (not bashing it). For me Iriney needs to move the ball much more quickly. He does leave his foot in at times though and he always looks like he could be sent off. Decision making is not right in and out of possession. An example is when Abdi (class act) played a great ball through and we had a 3/4 v 2 situation and FF (I think it was) chose the wrong option when Deeney was free on the other side. Also our decisions to dive in to tackles out of possession needs work and improvement. But positives are that the players are trying their hearts out and want to succeed. Abdi has that little bit of class and could help us turn it round if he can stay fit now. Who plays with him is a puzzle though to get the right balance. Last season Abdi, Chalobah and Hogg had a great balance between them. But we need to concentrate on one game at a time and we need to be mindful that we need 54 points. The current form will see us get relegated, and yes it can happen. I think this season has been a learning curve for everyone, especially in the expectation levels that went right through the ceiling. Perhaps with hard work and a positive and hard working team we can gradually get a good run going and then see where that takes us if we get past 54 points. Goldenboy1960
  • Score: 2

2:57pm Wed 15 Jan 14

ChrisG85 says...

GarstonHorn wrote:
Pretty confortable but would like to go back to a 4-3-3 like 2nd half on Saturday. 3 at the back restricts us too much going forward
I'm not sure which game you were watching but last night we got forward more than most games. It isn't to do with how we play but how other teams play. Bristol didn't sit back, they came forward and we matched them. Angella got forward a lot, along with Faraoni. Playing 3 up top is a risk right now too due to the number of available forwards in the squad. TD, DF & FF are all fit but Ranegie isn't.

Whilst Faraoni had an alright game last night he looked very much like he was off the pace of the game and seemed that he didn't want to challenge for many tackles/2nd balls. Maybe he is still carrying a slight concern with regards to his injury return.

Obviously, the biggest plus of last night was the return of Abdi. From the moment he came on to the pitch the game felt like it was completely different. His movement and commanding the midfield is something we have sorely missed. Iriney had his best game in a Watford shirt and once Abdi was sitting in front of him he looked even more comfortable. Abdi's game dictates a lot of our play, and we've missed it. I'm not saying he is the saviour of our season but the more he now plays I feel the more confident we will become.
[quote][p][bold]GarstonHorn[/bold] wrote: Pretty confortable but would like to go back to a 4-3-3 like 2nd half on Saturday. 3 at the back restricts us too much going forward[/p][/quote]I'm not sure which game you were watching but last night we got forward more than most games. It isn't to do with how we play but how other teams play. Bristol didn't sit back, they came forward and we matched them. Angella got forward a lot, along with Faraoni. Playing 3 up top is a risk right now too due to the number of available forwards in the squad. TD, DF & FF are all fit but Ranegie isn't. Whilst Faraoni had an alright game last night he looked very much like he was off the pace of the game and seemed that he didn't want to challenge for many tackles/2nd balls. Maybe he is still carrying a slight concern with regards to his injury return. Obviously, the biggest plus of last night was the return of Abdi. From the moment he came on to the pitch the game felt like it was completely different. His movement and commanding the midfield is something we have sorely missed. Iriney had his best game in a Watford shirt and once Abdi was sitting in front of him he looked even more comfortable. Abdi's game dictates a lot of our play, and we've missed it. I'm not saying he is the saviour of our season but the more he now plays I feel the more confident we will become. ChrisG85
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree