Watford's wing-back Davide Faraoni faces an uncertain future after he did not join up with the Hornets' for pre-season training in Italy

Picture: Holly Cant

Picture: Holly Cant

First published in Watford FC News
Last updated
by

Dagenham & Redbridge goalkeeper Chris Lewington is on trial with Watford but it appears Davide Faraoni is unlikely to remain at Vicarage Road next season.

Lewington is with the Golden Boys at their training camp in Udine, in Italy, but Faraoni is not currently with the rest of the squad.

The Hornets’ third choice goalkeeper from last season, Gary Woods, is out of contract next week and is likely to leave the club, although Watford haven’t ruled out re-signing the former Manchester United man.

So the Hornets have been looking for another home-grown goalkeeper and opted to take Lewington on trial. It has also been reported the Golden Boys are interested in Blackpool’s out-of-contract number one Matt Gilks.

Lewington played for several non-league clubs before joining League Two side Dagenham & Redbridge in 2009.

He played 45 times last season and has made 143 appearances for the club in total but is now out of contract.

Nearly all of Watford’s professionals are currently out in Italy for the pre-season training camp.

Craig Cathcart and Matej Vydra, who both completed moves to the Hornets this week, have already joined up with the squad.

Essaid Belkalem is still at the World Cup and Lloyd Doyley has been given extra time off due to international duty. New signings Heurelho Gomes and Lloyd Dyer were also scheduled to join later in the week and young striker Uche Ikpeazu has stayed at home to recover from ankle surgery.

Iriney and Javier Acuna are not with the squad; the duo will again find other clubs this season, and it seems likely Faraoni will be doing the same.

Faraoni has been linked with a few Italian sides over the summer, with Hellas Verona, Sassuolo and Palermo all said to be interested.

The majority of the Hornets squad returned from their summer break on Monday and flew to Italy that afternoon, when they underwent medical testing at Udinese’s Stadio Friuli.

On Tuesday morning they headed to Udinese’s training ground for their first session, which consisted of high-intensity running drills and light ball work before lunch.

In the afternoon they went to Stadio Friuli where there was some structural and injury prevention testing.

It was a similar formula on the Wednesday, with running-based circuit drills followed by testing in the afternoon.

Yesterday (Thursday) morning there were more high-intensity drills, combining lots of running and ball work, and they had another training session in the afternoon.

In their downtime, some of the players travelled into the nearby, and quiet town of Udine but many used the time to sleep.

Head coach Beppe Sannino has said the Watford players' physical condition and recovery times will be crucial this season.

“We would like to thank Udinese for their hospitality” Sannino told the website of the Italian club, who are also owned by the Pozzos.

“We are happy to be training in the facilities of a first-level club in the Italian championship.

“A very long season is ahead of us and we want to give some satisfaction to those who have believed in us so far.

“Physical shape and recovery times are going to be very important this year, that is why we think this first phase of preparation is so fundamental in order to obtain good achievements in the future.”

Watford travel to Austria for a further two-week training camp on Sunday.

Comments (24)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:40am Fri 27 Jun 14

oldyella says...

Probably the right move. Hugely talented, but didn't deliver consistently. Often looked disinterested. His goal vs Norwich (League Cup) will be one to remember though.
Probably the right move. Hugely talented, but didn't deliver consistently. Often looked disinterested. His goal vs Norwich (League Cup) will be one to remember though. oldyella
  • Score: 21

7:50am Fri 27 Jun 14

JohnnyBarnes says...

oldyella wrote:
Probably the right move. Hugely talented, but didn't deliver consistently. Often looked disinterested. His goal vs Norwich (League Cup) will be one to remember though.
Well summed up. Hugely talented guy and showed it in flashes, so I was a little disappointed to read this headline... but he did also look disinterested at times

Might be an element of readjusting the british/foreign composition of the squad as well.
[quote][p][bold]oldyella[/bold] wrote: Probably the right move. Hugely talented, but didn't deliver consistently. Often looked disinterested. His goal vs Norwich (League Cup) will be one to remember though.[/p][/quote]Well summed up. Hugely talented guy and showed it in flashes, so I was a little disappointed to read this headline... but he did also look disinterested at times Might be an element of readjusting the british/foreign composition of the squad as well. JohnnyBarnes
  • Score: 13

7:57am Fri 27 Jun 14

only5foot3 says...

Technically gifted player. Beautiful control
Technically gifted player. Beautiful control only5foot3
  • Score: 16

8:00am Fri 27 Jun 14

only5foot3 says...

What does the future hold for fabbrini? maybe with vydra and deeney. He could be an asset in the hole?
What does the future hold for fabbrini? maybe with vydra and deeney. He could be an asset in the hole? only5foot3
  • Score: 0

8:36am Fri 27 Jun 14

rayman01 says...

Sorry but I lost patience with Fabbrini. Very talented and can beat his man but too lightweight and does not know when to pass. As for Faraoni might one of the most skilful players seen at the Vic, but positionally unaware and never settled. I like these guys but it just proves it is a team game and the chemistry has to be right. I like most of us I guess just happy to get Vydra back. Luv the Horns! Now for Tozser...
Sorry but I lost patience with Fabbrini. Very talented and can beat his man but too lightweight and does not know when to pass. As for Faraoni might one of the most skilful players seen at the Vic, but positionally unaware and never settled. I like these guys but it just proves it is a team game and the chemistry has to be right. I like most of us I guess just happy to get Vydra back. Luv the Horns! Now for Tozser... rayman01
  • Score: 17

8:43am Fri 27 Jun 14

miked2006 says...

If we switch to a 442, I would love to see Fabbrini as a winger. He certainly is not a forward.

I do not mind about Faraoni. If he goes, he does not want to be here, and I do not want a disinterested player at the club. If he stays, I'm sure he would be better in his second season, and might actually want to be here more.

Fantastic player. Poor application.
If we switch to a 442, I would love to see Fabbrini as a winger. He certainly is not a forward. I do not mind about Faraoni. If he goes, he does not want to be here, and I do not want a disinterested player at the club. If he stays, I'm sure he would be better in his second season, and might actually want to be here more. Fantastic player. Poor application. miked2006
  • Score: 7

8:59am Fri 27 Jun 14

jasonwatford says...

Fabbrini is a quality player who needs a little re adjusting to his play , He would not look out of place in the prem but he is not a main striker. Farioni has great ball skills and electric pace that he only seems to use in flashes. also I feel that he never got anything for refs all season ending up with being hacked down after putting the ball out of play for an opposing player. Looking at this squad now it does look awesome. Mcgugan and Murray might not get a sniff thou
Fabbrini is a quality player who needs a little re adjusting to his play , He would not look out of place in the prem but he is not a main striker. Farioni has great ball skills and electric pace that he only seems to use in flashes. also I feel that he never got anything for refs all season ending up with being hacked down after putting the ball out of play for an opposing player. Looking at this squad now it does look awesome. Mcgugan and Murray might not get a sniff thou jasonwatford
  • Score: 6

9:05am Fri 27 Jun 14

martymarty says...

Faraoni is too scared and lightweight for this division. Unless he spends pre season at man up camp I wouldn't want him back
Faraoni is too scared and lightweight for this division. Unless he spends pre season at man up camp I wouldn't want him back martymarty
  • Score: 4

9:23am Fri 27 Jun 14

soulfulhornet says...

As everyone said, Faraoni is a huge talent, but may be not suited to the hurly burly of the Championship. With Anya and Dyer in the wing back positions can't see him playing regularly. If he bulked up and 'manned up' as said above, could do a job a centre back.

Fabbrini - very skillful, but no end product - look at his scoring record and assists. I think we can only afford one player like that and Fessi is better in both departments.

I think him, Acuna, and Fabbrini will be on their way. Use the money raised to buy Tozser from Genoa and improve Troy's contract. We also need cover for Tozser. Iriney who seemed to be getting to grips with the division just before his loan would be ok, but I suspect he wants to be first choice, therefore I think he will go also sadly.
As everyone said, Faraoni is a huge talent, but may be not suited to the hurly burly of the Championship. With Anya and Dyer in the wing back positions can't see him playing regularly. If he bulked up and 'manned up' as said above, could do a job a centre back. Fabbrini - very skillful, but no end product - look at his scoring record and assists. I think we can only afford one player like that and Fessi is better in both departments. I think him, Acuna, and Fabbrini will be on their way. Use the money raised to buy Tozser from Genoa and improve Troy's contract. We also need cover for Tozser. Iriney who seemed to be getting to grips with the division just before his loan would be ok, but I suspect he wants to be first choice, therefore I think he will go also sadly. soulfulhornet
  • Score: 4

11:05am Fri 27 Jun 14

SimmyB says...

I never took to him really I'm afraid. He didnt "wow" me at all.
I never took to him really I'm afraid. He didnt "wow" me at all. SimmyB
  • Score: -1

12:17pm Fri 27 Jun 14

VOReason says...

Love all the fabbrini loving today! I'd love him to play a part but I just can't see it unfortunately
Love all the fabbrini loving today! I'd love him to play a part but I just can't see it unfortunately VOReason
  • Score: -5

12:59pm Fri 27 Jun 14

robert_wfc says...

McGugan wont get a sniff? I would have him start all the time. Goal scorer. He is a good player and adds great value to our team.
McGugan wont get a sniff? I would have him start all the time. Goal scorer. He is a good player and adds great value to our team. robert_wfc
  • Score: 9

2:33pm Fri 27 Jun 14

croxley46 says...

I'd like to see the Blackpool keeper Matt Gilks come to the Vic - he's always impressed me, even in a poor B'pool side. Perhaps Craig Cathcart can persuade him?
I'd like to see the Blackpool keeper Matt Gilks come to the Vic - he's always impressed me, even in a poor B'pool side. Perhaps Craig Cathcart can persuade him? croxley46
  • Score: 6

2:50pm Fri 27 Jun 14

JonBoy says...

Fabrinni is fab
Fabrinni is fab JonBoy
  • Score: -2

4:16pm Fri 27 Jun 14

Ramageland says...

I thought Faraoni was starting to look good as last season went on and was expecting bif things in 14/15. Oh well!
I thought Faraoni was starting to look good as last season went on and was expecting bif things in 14/15. Oh well! Ramageland
  • Score: 0

5:35pm Fri 27 Jun 14

jaemae2 says...

VOReason wrote:
Love all the fabbrini loving today! I'd love him to play a part but I just can't see it unfortunately
far more talented and better on the field than Forrestieri, not even close.
[quote][p][bold]VOReason[/bold] wrote: Love all the fabbrini loving today! I'd love him to play a part but I just can't see it unfortunately[/p][/quote]far more talented and better on the field than Forrestieri, not even close. jaemae2
  • Score: -17

5:36pm Fri 27 Jun 14

jaemae2 says...

robert_wfc wrote:
McGugan wont get a sniff? I would have him start all the time. Goal scorer. He is a good player and adds great value to our team.
it was a bizarre comment.
[quote][p][bold]robert_wfc[/bold] wrote: McGugan wont get a sniff? I would have him start all the time. Goal scorer. He is a good player and adds great value to our team.[/p][/quote]it was a bizarre comment. jaemae2
  • Score: 1

6:00pm Fri 27 Jun 14

tommy gunn says...

Faraoni going does this mean Paredes is on his way in , it's all gone quiet on that front.
Faraoni going does this mean Paredes is on his way in , it's all gone quiet on that front. tommy gunn
  • Score: 1

8:20pm Fri 27 Jun 14

soulfulhornet says...

jaemae2 wrote:
VOReason wrote:
Love all the fabbrini loving today! I'd love him to play a part but I just can't see it unfortunately
far more talented and better on the field than Forrestieri, not even close.
Really look at Fabbrini's goal scoring/ assists stats, and look at Forrestieri's. I believe there is no contest. Fessi is not perfect, too intricate and so difficult to read for opponents and teammates alike. Fabbrini has the talent - played for Italy etc, but if he was the bees knees then would not have come to us in the first place. No end product.

Look there has been some comments on this forum that we are Udinese reserves.No in some cases that might be fair comment, but Abdi, Fessi, Vydra. Really?
[quote][p][bold]jaemae2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VOReason[/bold] wrote: Love all the fabbrini loving today! I'd love him to play a part but I just can't see it unfortunately[/p][/quote]far more talented and better on the field than Forrestieri, not even close.[/p][/quote]Really look at Fabbrini's goal scoring/ assists stats, and look at Forrestieri's. I believe there is no contest. Fessi is not perfect, too intricate and so difficult to read for opponents and teammates alike. Fabbrini has the talent - played for Italy etc, but if he was the bees knees then would not have come to us in the first place. No end product. Look there has been some comments on this forum that we are Udinese reserves.No in some cases that might be fair comment, but Abdi, Fessi, Vydra. Really? soulfulhornet
  • Score: 3

9:04pm Fri 27 Jun 14

jaemae2 says...

soulfulhornet wrote:
jaemae2 wrote:
VOReason wrote:
Love all the fabbrini loving today! I'd love him to play a part but I just can't see it unfortunately
far more talented and better on the field than Forrestieri, not even close.
Really look at Fabbrini's goal scoring/ assists stats, and look at Forrestieri's. I believe there is no contest. Fessi is not perfect, too intricate and so difficult to read for opponents and teammates alike. Fabbrini has the talent - played for Italy etc, but if he was the bees knees then would not have come to us in the first place. No end product.

Look there has been some comments on this forum that we are Udinese reserves.No in some cases that might be fair comment, but Abdi, Fessi, Vydra. Really?
Forrestierri has also played many more games than Fabbrini did. I don't think either are great, think Fabbrini is way above Forrestieri.
[quote][p][bold]soulfulhornet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jaemae2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VOReason[/bold] wrote: Love all the fabbrini loving today! I'd love him to play a part but I just can't see it unfortunately[/p][/quote]far more talented and better on the field than Forrestieri, not even close.[/p][/quote]Really look at Fabbrini's goal scoring/ assists stats, and look at Forrestieri's. I believe there is no contest. Fessi is not perfect, too intricate and so difficult to read for opponents and teammates alike. Fabbrini has the talent - played for Italy etc, but if he was the bees knees then would not have come to us in the first place. No end product. Look there has been some comments on this forum that we are Udinese reserves.No in some cases that might be fair comment, but Abdi, Fessi, Vydra. Really?[/p][/quote]Forrestierri has also played many more games than Fabbrini did. I don't think either are great, think Fabbrini is way above Forrestieri. jaemae2
  • Score: -11

9:38am Sat 28 Jun 14

The Skeptical Optimist says...

Do people really think the wing backs will be Anya and Dyer? Neither are really defenders, and while we know certainly Anya can defend, Pudil's done a really good job for the last 2 years... Can Dyer defend? I'm not sure, unless there's a side to his game I've never seen before...

I look at Dyer and think he's a great signing as long as he can be integrated into the team... At the moment, he sticks out for me as the one signing that doesn't really fit into the current 3-5-2 formation...
Do people really think the wing backs will be Anya and Dyer? Neither are really defenders, and while we know certainly Anya can defend, Pudil's done a really good job for the last 2 years... Can Dyer defend? I'm not sure, unless there's a side to his game I've never seen before... I look at Dyer and think he's a great signing as long as he can be integrated into the team... At the moment, he sticks out for me as the one signing that doesn't really fit into the current 3-5-2 formation... The Skeptical Optimist
  • Score: 0

11:09am Sat 28 Jun 14

Watfordwes says...

The Skeptical Optimist wrote:
Do people really think the wing backs will be Anya and Dyer? Neither are really defenders, and while we know certainly Anya can defend, Pudil's done a really good job for the last 2 years... Can Dyer defend? I'm not sure, unless there's a side to his game I've never seen before...

I look at Dyer and think he's a great signing as long as he can be integrated into the team... At the moment, he sticks out for me as the one signing that doesn't really fit into the current 3-5-2 formation...
Perhaps we ll play 3 5 2 with attacking wingbacks at home and 4 5 1 away. Dyer/anya could play wingback at home and wide midfield away???

I don't know but it's bloody exciting
[quote][p][bold]The Skeptical Optimist[/bold] wrote: Do people really think the wing backs will be Anya and Dyer? Neither are really defenders, and while we know certainly Anya can defend, Pudil's done a really good job for the last 2 years... Can Dyer defend? I'm not sure, unless there's a side to his game I've never seen before... I look at Dyer and think he's a great signing as long as he can be integrated into the team... At the moment, he sticks out for me as the one signing that doesn't really fit into the current 3-5-2 formation...[/p][/quote]Perhaps we ll play 3 5 2 with attacking wingbacks at home and 4 5 1 away. Dyer/anya could play wingback at home and wide midfield away??? I don't know but it's bloody exciting Watfordwes
  • Score: 2

12:50pm Sat 28 Jun 14

Harry's Bar says...

jaemae2 wrote:
soulfulhornet wrote:
jaemae2 wrote:
VOReason wrote:
Love all the fabbrini loving today! I'd love him to play a part but I just can't see it unfortunately
far more talented and better on the field than Forrestieri, not even close.
Really look at Fabbrini's goal scoring/ assists stats, and look at Forrestieri's. I believe there is no contest. Fessi is not perfect, too intricate and so difficult to read for opponents and teammates alike. Fabbrini has the talent - played for Italy etc, but if he was the bees knees then would not have come to us in the first place. No end product.

Look there has been some comments on this forum that we are Udinese reserves.No in some cases that might be fair comment, but Abdi, Fessi, Vydra. Really?
Forrestierri has also played many more games than Fabbrini did. I don't think either are great, think Fabbrini is way above Forrestieri.
Fabbrini for me, can't really explain it, he just played with a sort of innocence, well, apart from when he tumbled in the area.
[quote][p][bold]jaemae2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]soulfulhornet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jaemae2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VOReason[/bold] wrote: Love all the fabbrini loving today! I'd love him to play a part but I just can't see it unfortunately[/p][/quote]far more talented and better on the field than Forrestieri, not even close.[/p][/quote]Really look at Fabbrini's goal scoring/ assists stats, and look at Forrestieri's. I believe there is no contest. Fessi is not perfect, too intricate and so difficult to read for opponents and teammates alike. Fabbrini has the talent - played for Italy etc, but if he was the bees knees then would not have come to us in the first place. No end product. Look there has been some comments on this forum that we are Udinese reserves.No in some cases that might be fair comment, but Abdi, Fessi, Vydra. Really?[/p][/quote]Forrestierri has also played many more games than Fabbrini did. I don't think either are great, think Fabbrini is way above Forrestieri.[/p][/quote]Fabbrini for me, can't really explain it, he just played with a sort of innocence, well, apart from when he tumbled in the area. Harry's Bar
  • Score: 1

4:37pm Sat 28 Jun 14

The Skeptical Optimist says...

Watfordwes wrote:
The Skeptical Optimist wrote:
Do people really think the wing backs will be Anya and Dyer? Neither are really defenders, and while we know certainly Anya can defend, Pudil's done a really good job for the last 2 years... Can Dyer defend? I'm not sure, unless there's a side to his game I've never seen before...

I look at Dyer and think he's a great signing as long as he can be integrated into the team... At the moment, he sticks out for me as the one signing that doesn't really fit into the current 3-5-2 formation...
Perhaps we ll play 3 5 2 with attacking wingbacks at home and 4 5 1 away. Dyer/anya could play wingback at home and wide midfield away???

I don't know but it's bloody exciting
I agree that it's exciting - I can't wait to see our strongest 11...

A 4-5-1 was the formation I thought we were changing to when I first heard Dyer was a target - it made sense in a team with a surplus of good midfielders but only one reliable attacker and a thin defence. However, since then, our acquisition of all these center backs and more recently Vydra appears to be pointing to keeping the 3-5-2, and Dyer is the only question mark.

I think a lot rests on Deeney's future at the club, because the chances of a 4-5-1 is really rather remote if it means dropping one of Deeney and Vydra. If both are here come August, I almost think a 4-4-2 is more likely than a 4-5-1, in which case you would still have a lot of spare center backs kicking about, but at least you could play Dyer ahead of Pudil and Anya ahead of Doyley...

As for the wing backs, I really don't think you could play Dyer and Anya...
[quote][p][bold]Watfordwes[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Skeptical Optimist[/bold] wrote: Do people really think the wing backs will be Anya and Dyer? Neither are really defenders, and while we know certainly Anya can defend, Pudil's done a really good job for the last 2 years... Can Dyer defend? I'm not sure, unless there's a side to his game I've never seen before... I look at Dyer and think he's a great signing as long as he can be integrated into the team... At the moment, he sticks out for me as the one signing that doesn't really fit into the current 3-5-2 formation...[/p][/quote]Perhaps we ll play 3 5 2 with attacking wingbacks at home and 4 5 1 away. Dyer/anya could play wingback at home and wide midfield away??? I don't know but it's bloody exciting[/p][/quote]I agree that it's exciting - I can't wait to see our strongest 11... A 4-5-1 was the formation I thought we were changing to when I first heard Dyer was a target - it made sense in a team with a surplus of good midfielders but only one reliable attacker and a thin defence. However, since then, our acquisition of all these center backs and more recently Vydra appears to be pointing to keeping the 3-5-2, and Dyer is the only question mark. I think a lot rests on Deeney's future at the club, because the chances of a 4-5-1 is really rather remote if it means dropping one of Deeney and Vydra. If both are here come August, I almost think a 4-4-2 is more likely than a 4-5-1, in which case you would still have a lot of spare center backs kicking about, but at least you could play Dyer ahead of Pudil and Anya ahead of Doyley... As for the wing backs, I really don't think you could play Dyer and Anya... The Skeptical Optimist
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree